Sabre

Default Whole Hog Roast

Wanted to see if anyone has any info on whole hog roasts. I am planning a
whole hog roast and wanted see how people applied dry rub. It seems I've
read somewhere that the rub should be between the skin and the meat.
However, I've also read that you want to minimize the number of slits you
put into the skin to minimize the number of flare ups due to fat
drippings...

So I guess dry rub application or injection recipes are what I'm seeking.

TIA,
Sabre

PS
If anyone is interested in the steps I took, let me know and I'll send you
the info.

BOB

Sabre wrote:
> Wanted to see if anyone has any info on whole hog roasts. I am
> planning a
> whole hog roast and wanted see how people applied dry rub. It seems
> I've
> read somewhere that the rub should be between the skin and the meat.
> However, I've also read that you want to minimize the number of
> slits you
> put into the skin to minimize the number of flare ups due to fat
> drippings...
>
> So I guess dry rub application or injection recipes are what I'm
> seeking.
>

> TIA,
> Sabre

If you can get it to open (I'm not having much luck this week)
http://www.bobinga.com/

HEY TFM®, did I get the URL right? It won't open for me, but it's
from my favorites.

BOB

" BOB" > wrote:
> []
> If you can get it to open (I'm not having much luck this week)
> http://www.bobinga.com/

Good web site, BOB. Opened fine for me. Thanks.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Sabre

" BOB" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sabre wrote:
> > Wanted to see if anyone has any info on whole hog roasts. I am
> > planning a
> > whole hog roast and wanted see how people applied dry rub. It seems
> > I've
> > read somewhere that the rub should be between the skin and the meat.
> > However, I've also read that you want to minimize the number of
> > slits you
> > put into the skin to minimize the number of flare ups due to fat
> > drippings...
> >
> > So I guess dry rub application or injection recipes are what I'm
> > seeking.
> >

> > TIA,
> > Sabre

> If you can get it to open (I'm not having much luck this week)
> http://www.bobinga.com/
>
> HEY TFM®, did I get the URL right? It won't open for me, but it's
> from my favorites.
>
> BOB

Thank you BOB! The link is correct as is...

Although, I have yet to find info on rubs or injections. There does seem to
have lots of info on just about everything else...

Sabre

Big Jim

"Sabre" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Sabre wrote:
>> > Wanted to see if anyone has any info on whole hog roasts. I am
>> > planning a
>> > whole hog roast and wanted see how people applied dry rub. It seems
>> > I've
>> > read somewhere that the rub should be between the skin and the meat.
>> > However, I've also read that you want to minimize the number of
>> > slits you
>> > put into the skin to minimize the number of flare ups due to fat
>> > drippings...
>> >
>> > So I guess dry rub application or injection recipes are what I'm
>> > seeking.
>> >

>> > TIA,
>> > Sabre

>> If you can get it to open (I'm not having much luck this week)
>> http://www.bobinga.com/
>>
>> HEY TFM®, did I get the URL right? It won't open for me, but it's
>> from my favorites.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> Thank you BOB! The link is correct as is...
>
> Although, I have yet to find info on rubs or injections. There does seem
> have lots of info on just about everything else...
>
> Sabre

The reason you didn't see any info on rubs is because Bob don't use none. He
salts the skin side before he turns the pig to crisp the skin. When it is
nice and crisp he moves the coals to the side or altogether and lets the pig
rest for a while. He then pulls it and chops some of the crisp skin up in
the meat then uses his version of a NC vinegar sauce (vinegar, pepper, salt
and red pepper flakes) on the mix.
Dayum fine eating.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Big Jim

> wrote in message
>" BOB" > wrote:
>> []
>> If you can get it to open (I'm not having much luck this week)
>> http://www.bobinga.com/
>>

> Good web site, BOB. Opened fine for me. Thanks.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
> their families:
> http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
> !

-- Did you check out the hushpuppie section<g>
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Ridge Roofing, Inc.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:51:20 GMT, "Sabre"
> wrote:

>Wanted to see if anyone has any info on whole hog roasts. I am planning a
>whole hog roast and wanted see how people applied dry rub. It seems I've
>read somewhere that the rub should be between the skin and the meat.
>However, I've also read that you want to minimize the number of slits you
>put into the skin to minimize the number of flare ups due to fat
>drippings...
>
>So I guess dry rub application or injection recipes are what I'm seeking.
>

>TIA,
>Sabre
>
>PS
>If anyone is interested in the steps I took, let me know and I'll send you
>the info.

try this site also.
http://www.cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

"Big Jim" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >" BOB" > wrote:
> >> []
> >> If you can get it to open (I'm not having much luck this week)
> >> http://www.bobinga.com/
> >>

> > Good web site, BOB. Opened fine for me. Thanks.
> >

> -- Did you check out the hushpuppie section<g>

All except the Tuna And Tomato!

Nice picture of ya, BTW ;-/

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Big Jim

> wrote in message
> "Big Jim" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> >>
>> > Good web site, BOB. Opened fine for me. Thanks.
>> >

>> -- Did you check out the hushpuppie section<g>
>>

> All except the Tuna And Tomato!
>
> Nice picture of ya, BTW ;-/
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
> their families:
> http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
> !

--Try it, you might like it
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Brick

On 18-Jul-2005, " BOB" > wrote:

> Sabre wrote:
> > Wanted to see if anyone has any info on whole hog roasts. I am
> > planning a
> > whole hog roast and wanted see how people applied dry rub. It seems
> > I've
> > read somewhere that the rub should be between the skin and the meat.
> > However, I've also read that you want to minimize the number of
> > slits you
> > put into the skin to minimize the number of flare ups due to fat
> > drippings...
> >
> > So I guess dry rub application or injection recipes are what I'm
> > seeking.
> >

> > TIA,
> > Sabre

> If you can get it to open (I'm not having much luck this week)
> http://www.bobinga.com/
>
> HEY TFM®, did I get the URL right? It won't open for me, but it's
> from my favorites.
>
> BOB

I can't imagine what the problem is BOB. It opens instantly for me. It's a
favorite of
mine as well. It's a dirty rotten shame that I don't have a prayer of
producing real
'Q' on my own. I'm reconciled to using an offset smoker for the rest of my
days.

Bob in Ga's history lesson brings back memories though. Many of you may not
be aware that many areas of Turkey are infested with feral hogs. In the area

around Tarsus, Turkey there were quite numerous in 1958 when I was stationed
at Incirlik, AB near Adana. The Turks being mostly devout Muslims, refused
recognize that the hogs existed. And thus they propogated unchecked with
access
to whatever crops were being grown. When we got the chance, we got a group
of
G.I.'s together and took a 6 X 6 down there for some hunting. We'd hire
fifteen or
twenty villagers to form a beater line to drive the hogs out into the open.
Then,
we'd use semi-auto 30 Cal carbines to do them in, (we didn't have anything
else
to use). We didn't consider it sport, rather it was a diversion and a chance
for
something better to eat.

Unlike, Bob's description, the hogs there ran to 300# and more. They were
pretty
fat though and quite tasty. The last 'Hogfest' that I saw there featured
three whole
hogs averaging about 300# each. The group that copped the hogs, initially
voted
to limit access to their own unit. Needless to say, there was no way the 75
or
so men in their unit could eat three large hogs, so they shortly put out an
APB
for help. For guys that lived day to day on food they wouldn't feed to their
dogs
back home, it was quite a treat.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

BOB

> " BOB" > wrote:
>> []
>> If you can get it to open (I'm not having much luck this week)

http://www.bobinga.com/

> Good web site, BOB. Opened fine for me. Thanks.

I cannot take any credit for this. It's Bob in Georgia's site and the
link has been posted several times by TFM®.

BOB

> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans
> and
> their families:
> http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! !

BOB

Big Jim wrote:
> "Sabre" wrote...
>>
>> " BOB" wrote...
>>> http://www.bobinga.com/

>> Thank you BOB! The link is correct as is...
>>
>> Although, I have yet to find info on rubs or injections. There
>> does seem
>> have lots of info on just about everything else...
>>
>> Sabre
>>

> The reason you didn't see any info on rubs is because Bob don't use
> none. He
> salts the skin side before he turns the pig to crisp the skin. When
> it is
> nice and crisp he moves the coals to the side or altogether and lets
> the pig
> rest for a while. He then pulls it and chops some of the crisp skin
> up in
> the meat then uses his version of a NC vinegar sauce (vinegar,
> pepper, salt
> and red pepper flakes) on the mix.
> Dayum fine eating.
> --
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

That was sort of *my* point. <g>
But you said it much better than I would have.

BOB
--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List