p-nut

Default Turkey leg outcome

Well here's how it goes.

Friday night I put them in the brine hoping that I would start on Saturday
morning around 9am.
I got called from work at midnight Friday night and ended up working about
16hrs yesterday so no smoking for me.

They stayed in the brine until this morning (too long) in which my wife
rinsed them off and then seasoned them back up.
They went on the smoker at 9am and were on there until about 5pm.
I've been really attached to Apple wood lately so this is what I used.

I took them off the smoker at 175 and individually wrapped in foil , then
wrapped in a towl and placed in a cooler for about an hour.
They turned out wonderful.
A little salty because of the over-bringing but it wasn't intentional.
I know better next time to at least get them out of it on time.

Here are some time-line pics if anyone is interested.
http://home.earthlink.net/~phat-boy/images/turkey_legs/

Heavy_Smoker

p-nut said
> They stayed in the brine until this morning (too long) in which
> my wife rinsed them off and then seasoned them back up.
> They went on the smoker at 9am and were on there until about 5pm.
> I've been really attached to Apple wood lately so this is what I
> used.

How come they took so long? I've never done turkey legs but I'd
expect them to cook much faster? What was your heat?

They look tasty BTW!

TIA

--
Better living through smoking.
p-nut

Heavy_Smoker wrote:
> p-nut said
>> They stayed in the brine until this morning (too long) in which
>> my wife rinsed them off and then seasoned them back up.
>> They went on the smoker at 9am and were on there until about 5pm.
>> I've been really attached to Apple wood lately so this is what I
>> used.

> How come they took so long? I've never done turkey legs but I'd
> expect them to cook much faster? What was your heat?
>
> They look tasty BTW!
>
> TIA

My bad,
I should have explained in original post that my dad raises turkeys for
Butterball.
These legs came from 40+lbs birds.

These weighed about 2lbs starting weight a piece.

I cooked them at 225 for about 7hrs. and then did the foil trick for about
an hour.

They were great.
Tasted like you get at the ballgames or the fairs.

thanks......

Heavy_Smoker

p-nut said

> Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>> p-nut said
>>> They stayed in the brine until this morning (too long) in
>>> which my wife rinsed them off and then seasoned them back up.
>>> They went on the smoker at 9am and were on there until about
>>> 5pm. I've been really attached to Apple wood lately so this is
>>> what I used.

>> How come they took so long? I've never done turkey legs but I'd
>> expect them to cook much faster? What was your heat?

> My bad,
> I should have explained in original post that my dad raises
> turkeys for Butterball.
> These legs came from 40+lbs birds.
>
> These weighed about 2lbs starting weight a piece.

Holy shitaki! Those are some big legs!

The math seems a bit confusing though. If each leg is 21 lbs, these
birds must've had some itty-bitty-tities? Or were they olympic
runners. ;-)

> I cooked them at 225 for about 7hrs. and then did the foil trick
> for about an hour.

Wow, I just can't imagine cooking turkey legs that long. 'course,
I've never cooked 'em so what the hell to I know. ;-)

--
Better living through smoking.
p-nut

Heavy_Smoker wrote:
> p-nut said
>
>> Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>>> p-nut said
>>>
>>> How come they took so long? I've never done turkey legs but I'd
>>> expect them to cook much faster? What was your heat?

>> My bad,
>> I should have explained in original post that my dad raises
>> turkeys for Butterball.
>> These legs came from 40+lbs birds.
>>
>> These weighed about 2lbs starting weight a piece.

> Holy shitaki! Those are some big legs!
>
> The math seems a bit confusing though. If each leg is 21 lbs, these
> birds must've had some itty-bitty-tities? Or were they olympic
> runners. ;-)

2 lbs not 21 lbs.
meaning that the legs were 1/10th the total weight of the bird.

>> I cooked them at 225 for about 7hrs. and then did the foil trick
>> for about an hour.

> Wow, I just can't imagine cooking turkey legs that long. 'course,
> I've never cooked 'em so what the hell to I know. ;-)

I started them early (9am) just so I made sure but they came out to perfect
temp of 180 in the end.
I was going to start at 7am but I got called into work for two hours.

The taking them off at 175 and wrapping in foil and then wrapping in a town
and putting in a cooler was a great idea that I picked up on in here.
My wife didn't know what I was doing when I told her what I wanted to do but
she never questions me as I'm always trying new tips that I find in
forums/ng's

Heavy_Smoker

p-nut said

> Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>>>
>>> These weighed about 2lbs starting weight a piece.

>> Holy shitaki! Those are some big legs!
>>
>> The math seems a bit confusing though. If each leg is 21 lbs,
>> these birds must've had some itty-bitty-tities? Or were they
>> olympic runners. ;-)

> 2 lbs not 21 lbs.
> meaning that the legs were 1/10th the total weight of the bird.

Sorry, it's been a long day. I think I need to read a bit more
closely next time. ;-)

>>> I cooked them at 225 for about 7hrs. and then did the foil
>>> trick for about an hour.

>> Wow, I just can't imagine cooking turkey legs that long.
>> 'course, I've never cooked 'em so what the hell to I know. ;-)

> I started them early (9am) just so I made sure but they came out
> to perfect temp of 180 in the end.
> I was going to start at 7am but I got called into work for two
> hours.
>
> The taking them off at 175 and wrapping in foil and then wrapping
> in a town and putting in a cooler was a great idea that I picked
> up on in here. My wife didn't know what I was doing when I told
> her what I wanted to do but she never questions me as I'm always
> trying new tips that I find in forums/ng's

Thanks. I think I might do this next weekend.

--
Better living through smoking.
Edwin Pawlowski

"p-nut" > wrote in message

> I should have explained in original post that my dad raises turkeys for
> Butterball.
> These legs came from 40+lbs birds.

That's sick. You amputated Butterball turkeys just for the legs? What are
these birds going to do until Thanksgiving, just drag around the pen?
Won't people miss the legs from their Butterballs?

p-nut

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "p-nut" > wrote in message
>
>> I should have explained in original post that my dad raises turkeys
>> for Butterball.
>> These legs came from 40+lbs birds.

> That's sick. You amputated Butterball turkeys just for the legs? What are
> these birds going to do until Thanksgiving, just drag around
> the pen? Won't people miss the legs from their Butterballs?

not exactly.
This was all done during "load out" , which means that a 40+lb bird in MO
heat has heart attacks.
He usually cuts out the breast and legs for me and throws into a cooler of
ice.
The other 11,000 birds goes to the plant to become tv dinners or whatever
sliced up.
Butterball only sells about 25lb birds whole.

These 40 pounders are very hard to deep fry in your normal fry pots.
You have to buy special ones.
But they taste just as good and feed that many more people.

Larry

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:50:43 GMT, "p-nut" > wrote:

>Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> "p-nut" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I should have explained in original post that my dad raises turkeys
>>> for Butterball.
>>> These legs came from 40+lbs birds.

>> That's sick. You amputated Butterball turkeys just for the legs? What are
>> these birds going to do until Thanksgiving, just drag around
>> the pen? Won't people miss the legs from their Butterballs?

>not exactly.
>This was all done during "load out" , which means that a 40+lb bird in MO
>heat has heart attacks.
>He usually cuts out the breast and legs for me and throws into a cooler of
>ice.
>The other 11,000 birds goes to the plant to become tv dinners or whatever
>sliced up.
>Butterball only sells about 25lb birds whole.
>
>These 40 pounders are very hard to deep fry in your normal fry pots.
>You have to buy special ones.
>But they taste just as good and feed that many more people.

Where is MO? Does he sell to the public? I am in Kansas City area
and am having a hard time finding a turkey without "ADDED SOLUTION".

p-nut

Larry wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:50:43 GMT, "p-nut" > wrote:
>
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>>> That's sick. You amputated Butterball turkeys just for the legs?
>>> What are these birds going to do until Thanksgiving, just drag
>>> around
>>> the pen? Won't people miss the legs from their Butterballs?

>> not exactly.
>> This was all done during "load out" , which means that a 40+lb bird
>> in MO heat has heart attacks.
>> He usually cuts out the breast and legs for me and throws into a
>> cooler of ice.
>> The other 11,000 birds goes to the plant to become tv dinners or
>> whatever sliced up.
>> Butterball only sells about 25lb birds whole.
>>
>> These 40 pounders are very hard to deep fry in your normal fry pots.
>> You have to buy special ones.
>> But they taste just as good and feed that many more people.
>>

> Where is MO? Does he sell to the public? I am in Kansas City area
> and am having a hard time finding a turkey without "ADDED SOLUTION".

MO = Missouri
By contract he can't sell to anyone since they are technically Butterballs
turkeys.

Larry

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:41:45 GMT, "p-nut" > wrote:

>> Where is MO? Does he sell to the public? I am in Kansas City area
>> and am having a hard time finding a turkey without "ADDED SOLUTION".

>MO = Missouri
>By contract he can't sell to anyone since they are technically Butterballs
>turkeys.

Sorry, I meant where IN MO. I figured he was probably under contract
but had to ask. The posers that control the food market here think
fresh turkeys can only be sold around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Thanks for replying.

Matthew L. Martin

Larry wrote:

> The posers that control the food market here think
> fresh turkeys can only be sold around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
> Thanks for replying.

If there is a BJ's Wholesale Club near you (and I don't think there is)
give them a try. The ones in my local always have fresh turkeys, if
somewhat small. They are typically Perdue and appear to be minimally
processed.

If there is no BJ's take a look at Costco or Sam's Club. They might also
have fresh Turkeys year round.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Larry

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:29:17 -0400, "Matthew L. Martin"
> wrote:

>Larry wrote:
>
>> The posers that control the food market here think
>> fresh turkeys can only be sold around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
>> Thanks for replying.
>>

>If there is a BJ's Wholesale Club near you (and I don't think there is)
>give them a try. The ones in my local always have fresh turkeys, if
>somewhat small. They are typically Perdue and appear to be minimally
>processed.
>
>If there is no BJ's take a look at Costco or Sam's Club. They might also
>have fresh Turkeys year round.

Thank you. No BJ's and I have check at Sam's. I guess I am too cheap
to belong to both Sam's and Costco.

p-nut

Larry wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:41:45 GMT, "p-nut" > wrote:
>
>>> Where is MO? Does he sell to the public? I am in Kansas City area
>>> and am having a hard time finding a turkey without "ADDED SOLUTION".

>> MO = Missouri
>> By contract he can't sell to anyone since they are technically
>> Butterballs turkeys.
>>

> Sorry, I meant where IN MO. I figured he was probably under contract
> but had to ask. The posers that control the food market here think
> fresh turkeys can only be sold around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
> Thanks for replying.

I'm in Jefferson City.
My father lives about 30min east of me in a rural area.
Look in your area for poultry butchers.
We have a couple in this area that you can get fresh chicken and turkeys
from yr round.
They are ma'/pa' shops that sell to local restaraunts/meat markets.

Larry

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:17:06 GMT, "p-nut" > wrote:

>Larry wrote:

>>> MO = Missouri
>>> By contract he can't sell to anyone since they are technically
>>> Butterballs turkeys.
>>>

>> Sorry, I meant where IN MO. I figured he was probably under contract
>> but had to ask. The posers that control the food market here think
>> fresh turkeys can only be sold around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
>> Thanks for replying.

>I'm in Jefferson City.
>My father lives about 30min east of me in a rural area.
>Look in your area for poultry butchers.
>We have a couple in this area that you can get fresh chicken and turkeys
>from yr round.
>They are ma'/pa' shops that sell to local restaraunts/meat markets.

Thank you. I will start combing the countryside. There are only 2
listings under "butchers" in the greater Kansas City Yellow Pages. I
guess I will need to get out of town. Thanks, again.

Brick

On 27-Jun-2005, Larry > wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:17:06 GMT, "p-nut" > wrote:
>
> >Larry wrote:

> >> Sorry, I meant where IN MO. I figured he was probably under contract
> >> but had to ask. The posers that control the food market here think
> >> fresh turkeys can only be sold around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
> >> Thanks for replying.

> >I'm in Jefferson City.
> >My father lives about 30min east of me in a rural area.
> >Look in your area for poultry butchers.
> >We have a couple in this area that you can get fresh chicken and turkeys
> >from yr round.
> >They are ma'/pa' shops that sell to local restaraunts/meat markets.
> >

> Thank you. I will start combing the countryside. There are only 2
> listings under "butchers" in the greater Kansas City Yellow Pages. I
> guess I will need to get out of town. Thanks, again.

Google 'butchers kansas city'. There are several interesting hits.
--
The Brick® said that (Work harder; millions on welfare depend on you. )

Stan Marks

In article >,
Eddie > wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2005 03:20:47 GMT, "Heavy_Smoker"
> > wrote:
>
> >p-nut said
> >

> >> These legs came from 40+lbs birds.
> >>
> >> These weighed about 2lbs starting weight a piece.

> >Holy shitaki! Those are some big legs!
> >
> >The math seems a bit confusing though. If each leg is 21 lbs, these
> >birds must've had some itty-bitty-tities? Or were they olympic
> >runners. ;-)

> Still LMAO. I saw it as 2 lbs but it does look like 21. And yeah, a
> turkey with 21 lb legs must be a bird on steroids or something.

....or an ostrich, perhaps?

> Make a great cartoon character, eh? Wait a minute, isn't there one
> already? "I say, I say, whatcha doing boy?" Cleghorn or something
> like that?

That would be Foghorn Leghorn.

Stan
Heavy_Smoker

p-nut said

> This was all done during "load out" , which means that a 40+lb
> bird in MO heat has heart attacks.
> He usually cuts out the breast and legs for me and throws into a
> cooler of ice.
> The other 11,000 birds goes to the plant to become tv dinners or
> whatever sliced up.
> Butterball only sells about 25lb birds whole.

My brothers in-laws raised turkeys. He helped out sometimes. He said
turkeys are the stupidest animals he has even seen. Put one behind a
20' wide fence, open on both ends, with food/water on the other side,
and he'll starve to death before he figures it out. True?

They are tasty *******s though.

--
Better living through smoking.
p-nut

Heavy_Smoker wrote:
> p-nut said
>
>> This was all done during "load out" , which means that a 40+lb
>> bird in MO heat has heart attacks.
>> He usually cuts out the breast and legs for me and throws into a
>> cooler of ice.
>> The other 11,000 birds goes to the plant to become tv dinners or
>> whatever sliced up.
>> Butterball only sells about 25lb birds whole.

> My brothers in-laws raised turkeys. He helped out sometimes. He said
> turkeys are the stupidest animals he has even seen. Put one behind a
> 20' wide fence, open on both ends, with food/water on the other side,
> and he'll starve to death before he figures it out. True?

They are dumb birds (not much room in that head for a brain).
But I've never seen them have trouble finding the food or water.

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:
> p-nut said
>
> > This was all done during "load out" , which means that a 40+lb
> > bird in MO heat has heart attacks.
> > He usually cuts out the breast and legs for me and throws into a
> > cooler of ice.
> > The other 11,000 birds goes to the plant to become tv dinners or
> > whatever sliced up.
> > Butterball only sells about 25lb birds whole.

> My brothers in-laws raised turkeys. He helped out sometimes. He said
> turkeys are the stupidest animals he has even seen. Put one behind a
> 20' wide fence, open on both ends, with food/water on the other side,
> and he'll starve to death before he figures it out. True?
>
> They are tasty *******s though.

Me and my uncle blasted out a rock that was in the way of a road we were
building, back when I was 12 or so. 1,000 turkeys at a farm down the road
died of heart attacks!

--
Nick. To support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families go to: http://saluteheroes.org/

Warm fridge - outcome Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 25-01-2009 02:38 AM
Swordfish Steaks: the outcome jmcquown General Cooking 9 21-10-2007 06:53 AM
Turkey Outcome Julie and Sam Barbecue 5 29-01-2007 08:50 PM
Spaghetti Squash outcome kilikini General Cooking 19 01-11-2006 07:24 PM
Institutional flour tortilla press-- outcome Incontinentius Buttocks Mexican Cooking 1 26-08-2004 02:47 AM