Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Turkey Outcome

Thank you Norm, TFM and Edwin for the advice to go ahead and smoke the
turkey. I am so glad that I didn't throw that bird away. Didn't get sick
from it either. I smoked it for about 6 hours with pecan and apple wood
with apple juice in the water bowl. An engineering friend of mine, with too
much time on his hands, had made me a "beer can" type holder from stainless
steel and thick gridworked base (told you he had too much time on his
hands). I had a German riesling in the refrigerator so I filled the beer can
holder with riesling and stuck it up the bird's.....tail.

The turkey was very moist and flavorful and the skin was a beautiful dark
golden color. I thought it had too much smoke but my husband and the cats
said is was fantastic. It seems I forgot advice I had read here years
ago...while the meat is resting change clothes and if possible take a
shower. Wash the smoke off yourself. I did change clothes but didn't think
about my long hair which had collected some of the smoke as I tended the
smoker (putting a thermometer in the bird and adding wood and generally
being around the smoker). I think I had too much smoke around myself to
enjoy the taste of the turkey. The next day I was very impressed with the
taste.

All in all, I was very pleased with my first turkey and thank you for
encouraging me to put the turkey in the smoker and not the trash.

Julie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Julie and Sam wrote:
> Thank you Norm, TFM and Edwin for the advice to go ahead and smoke the
> turkey. I am so glad that I didn't throw that bird away. Didn't get
> sick from it either. I smoked it for about 6 hours with pecan and
> apple wood with apple juice in the water bowl. An engineering friend
> of mine, with too much time on his hands, had made me a "beer can"
> type holder from stainless steel and thick gridworked base (told you
> he had too much time on his hands). I had a German riesling in the
> refrigerator so I filled the beer can holder with riesling and stuck
> it up the bird's.....tail.
>
> The turkey was very moist and flavorful and the skin was a beautiful
> dark golden color. I thought it had too much smoke but my husband
> and the cats said is was fantastic. It seems I forgot advice I had
> read here years ago...while the meat is resting change clothes and if
> possible take a shower. Wash the smoke off yourself. I did change
> clothes but didn't think about my long hair which had collected some
> of the smoke as I tended the smoker (putting a thermometer in the
> bird and adding wood and generally being around the smoker). I think
> I had too much smoke around myself to enjoy the taste of the turkey.
> The next day I was very impressed with the taste.
>
> All in all, I was very pleased with my first turkey and thank you for
> encouraging me to put the turkey in the smoker and not the trash.
>
> Julie

I'm so glad that it worked out! Congrats! Next time try injecting the
turkey. TFM® uses a mixture of butter, honey and garlic. He sticks the
bird ALL over the place. You get juicy pockets of flavor. It's really
good.

kili

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 05:26:04 GMT, Eddie >
wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:45:12 -0500, "Julie and Sam"
> wrote:
>

>>All in all, I was very pleased with my first turkey and thank you for
>>encouraging me to put the turkey in the smoker and not the trash.
>>
>>Julie

>Julie, have you visited ABF? (alt.binaries.food) Most of the AFB
>people are also there. And your turkey sounds like it should have
>been shown off there.
>I love smoked turkey in my K-7 but never had to do one for six hours.
>Usually around 3.5 to 4. Oh, you mentioned it was too cold. With the
>Kamodo you can smoke regardless of external cold. However, it doesn't
>get that cold here in San Jose. Anyone done a K smoke in really cold
>temps?
>Eddie

Can't speak about 'smoke' per se, but two years ago it was -20c [4
below zero in F] when I roasted our Christmas Turkey on my #7 Kamado.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:11:31 GMT, Eddie >
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:51:29 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 05:26:04 GMT, Eddie >
>>wrote:

>>>Julie, have you visited ABF? (alt.binaries.food) Most of the AFB
>>>people are also there. And your turkey sounds like it should have
>>>been shown off there.
>>>I love smoked turkey in my K-7 but never had to do one for six hours.
>>>Usually around 3.5 to 4. Oh, you mentioned it was too cold. With the
>>>Kamodo you can smoke regardless of external cold. However, it doesn't
>>>get that cold here in San Jose. Anyone done a K smoke in really cold
>>>temps?
>>>Eddie
>>>>

>>Can't speak about 'smoke' per se, but two years ago it was -20c [4
>>below zero in F] when I roasted our Christmas Turkey on my #7 Kamado.
>>
>>Harry

>You *roasted* a turkey in 4 below zero temp? That means you did not
>have the dome down (or it would have been smoked)
>Yikes, you must have had to keep that fire hot. Just curious, where
>were you when it was roasting? (me, I would have been right next to
>the fire, lol)
>Eddie

Turkey cooked, dome down at 330F. K was outside. I was not.

Harry

Warm fridge - outcome Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 25-01-2009 03:38 AM
Swordfish Steaks: the outcome jmcquown General Cooking 9 21-10-2007 06:53 AM
Spaghetti Squash outcome kilikini General Cooking 19 01-11-2006 08:24 PM
Turkey leg outcome p-nut Barbecue 21 01-07-2005 11:56 AM
Institutional flour tortilla press-- outcome Incontinentius Buttocks Mexican Cooking 1 26-08-2004 02:47 AM