A. Kesteloo

Default Question about ribs.

Question about ribs.

Here in the Netherlands, we only got one name for ribs. Spareribs. The only
thing you know for sure is that it comes for a pig. Last week, I smoked some
ribs for the second time. I think I got 2 kinds. One type, the bones where
long, and flat, the other type, the bones where short, and curved. There was
not to much meat on the bones itself (just enough so the bones would not
fall of ;-) ). I gave the ribs a dry rub, and smoked them for about 2 1/2
hours at 250 F.

The short curved ones came out good. You could take the bones apart with
your fingers. The meat was done and not dry. The long flat ones came out dry
and tough. Can anyone tell me what happened? It happened to the first time I
made ribs, so this time I made sure that I treated the meat the same
especially when it comes to temperature in the smoker.

Oh before I forget, I moped with olive oil and vinegar.

I hope you can help me out

Adriaan

Brad Houser

On Mon, 2 May 2005 20:18:57 +0200, A. Kesteloo wrote:

> Question about ribs.
>

> Here in the Netherlands, we only got one name for ribs. Spareribs. The only
> thing you know for sure is that it comes for a pig. Last week, I smoked some
> ribs for the second time. I think I got 2 kinds. One type, the bones where
> long, and flat, the other type, the bones where short, and curved. There was
> not to much meat on the bones itself (just enough so the bones would not
> fall of ;-) ). I gave the ribs a dry rub, and smoked them for about 2 1/2
> hours at 250 F.
>
> The short curved ones came out good. You could take the bones apart with
> your fingers. The meat was done and not dry. The long flat ones came out dry
> and tough. Can anyone tell me what happened? It happened to the first time I
> made ribs, so this time I made sure that I treated the meat the same
> especially when it comes to temperature in the smoker.
>
> Oh before I forget, I moped with olive oil and vinegar.
>

> I hope you can help me out

Sounds like you had the temperature too high or you smoked them too long.

Brad H
Duwop

"Brad Houser" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 May 2005 20:18:57 +0200, A. Kesteloo wrote:
>
> > Question about ribs.
> > Here in the Netherlands, we only got one name for ribs. Spareribs. The

only
> > thing you know for sure is that it comes for a pig. Last week, I smoked

some
> > ribs for the second time. I think I got 2 kinds. One type, the bones

where
> > long, and flat, the other type, the bones where short, and curved. There

was
> > not to much meat on the bones itself (just enough so the bones would not
> > fall of ;-) ). I gave the ribs a dry rub, and smoked them for about 2

1/2
> > hours at 250 F.
> >
> > The short curved ones came out good. You could take the bones apart with
> > your fingers. The meat was done and not dry. The long flat ones came out

dry
> > and tough. Can anyone tell me what happened? It happened to the first

time I
> > made ribs, so this time I made sure that I treated the meat the same
> > especially when it comes to temperature in the smoker.
> >
> > Oh before I forget, I moped with olive oil and vinegar.
> >

> > I hope you can help me out

> Sounds like you had the temperature too high or you smoked them too long.

Did the flat ribbed piece look anything like these?
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ri...tos/spare2.jpg
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ri...tos/spare1.jpg

These look to have had some fat (and the bottom flap) trimmed off them.
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_side_(belly)_cuts.htm

Here's a picture of your shorter ribs from the loin:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_loin_cuts.htm

Main site:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cut...tive_chart.htm

Hope this helps, maybe you can show your butcher these charts.

Dimitri

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
> Question about ribs.
>

> Here in the Netherlands, we only got one name for ribs. Spareribs. The only
> thing you know for sure is that it comes for a pig. Last week, I smoked some
> ribs for the second time. I think I got 2 kinds. One type, the bones where
> long, and flat, the other type, the bones where short, and curved. There was
> not to much meat on the bones itself (just enough so the bones would not fall
> of ;-) ). I gave the ribs a dry rub, and smoked them for about 2 1/2 hours at
> 250 F.
>
> The short curved ones came out good. You could take the bones apart with your
> fingers. The meat was done and not dry. The long flat ones came out dry and
> tough. Can anyone tell me what happened? It happened to the first time I made
> ribs, so this time I made sure that I treated the meat the same especially
> when it comes to temperature in the smoker.
>
> Oh before I forget, I moped with olive oil and vinegar.
>

> I hope you can help me out

Please look he

http://www.uspork.org/buyersguide.html

In the loin section # 3500 Back ribs

In the belly section # 3800 Spareribs.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

A. Kesteloo

"Duwop" > schreef in bericht
> "Brad Houser" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 2 May 2005 20:18:57 +0200, A. Kesteloo wrote:
>>
>> > Question about ribs.
>> > Here in the Netherlands, we only got one name for ribs. Spareribs. The

> only
>> > thing you know for sure is that it comes for a pig. Last week, I smoked

> some
>> > ribs for the second time. I think I got 2 kinds. One type, the bones

> where
>> > long, and flat, the other type, the bones where short, and curved.
>> > There

> was
>> > not to much meat on the bones itself (just enough so the bones would
>> > not
>> > fall of ;-) ). I gave the ribs a dry rub, and smoked them for about 2

> 1/2
>> > hours at 250 F.
>> >
>> > The short curved ones came out good. You could take the bones apart
>> > with
>> > your fingers. The meat was done and not dry. The long flat ones came
>> > out

> dry
>> > and tough. Can anyone tell me what happened? It happened to the first

> time I
>> > made ribs, so this time I made sure that I treated the meat the same
>> > especially when it comes to temperature in the smoker.
>> >
>> > Oh before I forget, I moped with olive oil and vinegar.
>> >

>> > I hope you can help me out

>> Sounds like you had the temperature too high or you smoked them too long.

> Did the flat ribbed piece look anything like these?
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ri...tos/spare2.jpg
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ri...tos/spare1.jpg
>
> These look to have had some fat (and the bottom flap) trimmed off them.
> http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_side_(belly)_cuts.htm
>
> Here's a picture of your shorter ribs from the loin:
> http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_loin_cuts.htm
>
> Main site:
> http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cut...tive_chart.htm
>

> Hope this helps, maybe you can show your butcher these charts.
>
> --

I think it was this one:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_side_(belly)_cuts.htm (center cut spare
ribs)

A. Kesteloo

"Dimitri" > schreef in bericht
.. .

> "A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
>> Question about ribs.
>>

>> Here in the Netherlands, we only got one name for ribs. Spareribs. The
>> only thing you know for sure is that it comes for a pig. Last week, I
>> smoked some ribs for the second time. I think I got 2 kinds. One type,
>> the bones where long, and flat, the other type, the bones where short,
>> and curved. There was not to much meat on the bones itself (just enough
>> so the bones would not fall of ;-) ). I gave the ribs a dry rub, and
>> smoked them for about 2 1/2 hours at 250 F.
>>
>> The short curved ones came out good. You could take the bones apart with
>> your fingers. The meat was done and not dry. The long flat ones came out
>> dry and tough. Can anyone tell me what happened? It happened to the first
>> time I made ribs, so this time I made sure that I treated the meat the
>> same especially when it comes to temperature in the smoker.
>>
>> Oh before I forget, I moped with olive oil and vinegar.
>>

>> I hope you can help me out

> Please look he
>
> http://www.uspork.org/buyersguide.html
>
> In the loin section # 3500 Back ribs
>
> In the belly section # 3800 Spareribs.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Dimitri

thank's a lot, it helps. which part of the ribs do you prefer? loin or
belly.

thanks,

Adriaan

Dimitri

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message

<Snip>

>>> I hope you can help me out

>> Please look he
>>
>> http://www.uspork.org/buyersguide.html
>>
>> In the loin section # 3500 Back ribs
>>
>> In the belly section # 3800 Spareribs.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> thank's a lot, it helps. which part of the ribs do you prefer? loin or belly.
>
> thanks,
>
> Adriaan

Boy that is a very tough question to answer. I think all 3 have their place.

The baby backs grill quite well and are normally meaty and tender. The belly
"spareribs" take longer to cook correctly and there is quite a bit of waste.
All things considered I like the Saint Louis cut which really the belly ribs
trimmed. Because of the price difference I usually do the trimming myself and
then use the trimmed pieces for soups and Italian gravy (spaghetti sauce).

Dimitri

Dimitri

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message

<Snip>

>>> I hope you can help me out

>> Please look he
>>
>> http://www.uspork.org/buyersguide.html
>>
>> In the loin section # 3500 Back ribs
>>
>> In the belly section # 3800 Spareribs.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> thank's a lot, it helps. which part of the ribs do you prefer? loin or belly.
>
> thanks,
>
> Adriaan

Boy that is a very tough question to answer. I think all 3 have their place.

The baby backs grill quite well and are normally meaty and tender. The belly
"spareribs" take longer to cook correctly and there is quite a bit of waste.
All things considered I like the Saint Louis cut which really the belly ribs
trimmed. Because of the price difference I usually do the trimming myself and
then use the trimmed pieces for soups and Italian gravy (spaghetti sauce).

Dimitri

A. Kesteloo

After sniffing the internet for a bit, I found an artikel about ribs. At
least, now I know where the different ribs come from.
http://www.ribman.com/abtribs.html
thank for all the help. for now, ill stick to ribs from the loin section

Adriaan

"Dimitri" > schreef in bericht

> "A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
>
> <Snip>

>>> Please look he
>>>
>>> http://www.uspork.org/buyersguide.html
>>>
>>> In the loin section # 3500 Back ribs
>>>
>>> In the belly section # 3800 Spareribs.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>

>> thank's a lot, it helps. which part of the ribs do you prefer? loin or
>> belly.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Adriaan

> Boy that is a very tough question to answer. I think all 3 have their
> place.
>
> The baby backs grill quite well and are normally meaty and tender. The
> belly "spareribs" take longer to cook correctly and there is quite a bit
> of waste. All things considered I like the Saint Louis cut which really
> the belly ribs trimmed. Because of the price difference I usually do the
> trimming myself and then use the trimmed pieces for soups and Italian
> gravy (spaghetti sauce).
>
> Dimitri

Pork spare ribs question, please. HC Barbecue 25 16-08-2007 02:59 PM
Question about beef ribs VegA Barbecue 4 17-06-2007 06:46 AM
Oven 'barbecued' memphis style dry ribs - question Abe Barbecue 102 10-06-2006 01:49 AM
Beef "back ribs" novice question Reg Barbecue 1 17-04-2004 06:32 AM
Question about ribs Ted Campanelli General Cooking 11 18-01-2004 11:09 AM