Peter Newman

Default Central Texas brisket

I just got back from my second expedition to the Austin area. Both times
concentrating on brisket. I need a reality check. I ate at Kreutz, John
Mueller, Louis Mueller, Taylor Cafe, Pok-e-Jos, Rudy's, Salt Lick, County
Line and Stubbs. I know there are still a half dozen others that I need to
try (Third trip). I can't say I had any "bad" brisket and there were
variations. I could rank them but I thought that John Mueller was so
over-the-top better that second or third place would be pointless.

I'm not anxious to pick a fight but I'm wondering if my experience or
tastebuds need fine-tuning or if John Mueller has got something special
going. The combination of smoke flavor, tenderness and texture was just
amazing. Others seemed a bit dry and had less flavor by comparison. Not
that the others were not good but this was amazing. Any thoughts,
critiques, other places that must be tried? On my list is Coopers in Llano,
Blacks, Smitty's, Ruby's and Iron Works. BBQ World HQ has changed hands and
I'll wait until they get settled in.

This is strictly about brisket. I gotta stay focused!!!

Peter

JakBQuik

"Peter Newman" wrote in message ...
I could rank them but I thought that John Mueller was so
> over-the-top better that second or third place would be pointless.

John Mueller's was Steve Wertz's favorite place before he disappeared. Many
Austinites think it's the best in the city limits.

>other places that must be tried? On my list is Coopers in Llano,
> Blacks, Smitty's, Ruby's and Iron Works.

Leave off Iron Works and add Luling Central Market.

John in Austin

Peter Newman

The reason I put Iron Works on there was the high rating in
austin.citysearch. Go figure. Luling definitely is on the list. Any idea
what John M is doing different?

Peter
news