stefan

Default texas brisket

I tried to cook my first texas brisket today. I had a 10 pound
untrimmed brisket with a nice fat cap. I trimmed the cap to about 1
inch on top and marinaged it over night. After the marinade I dried
it and dry rubbed it down and let sit for 30 minutes. Got the smoker
to 220 and placed the brisket fat side up on the smoker. cooked it
for 6 hours and the internal temp was kept at 160 for the last 2
hours. mopped it every hour and then let sit for 20 minutes after
cooking. The taste was great but was a little chewy. What can I do
to make it more tender?

Stefan
Edwin Pawlowski

"stefan" > wrote in message
> Got the smoker
> to 220 and placed the brisket fat side up on the smoker. cooked it
> for 6 hours and the internal temp was kept at 160 for the last 2
> hours. mopped it every hour and then let sit for 20 minutes after
> cooking. The taste was great but was a little chewy. What can I do
> to make it more tender?
>
> Stefan

Cook it until it is done. I usually go about 12 hours or so, or bump the
temperature to 250 or 275. You did not cook it long enough for the collagen
to break down.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Brick

On 25-Oct-2004, (stefan) wrote:

> I tried to cook my first texas brisket today. I had a 10 pound
> untrimmed brisket with a nice fat cap. I trimmed the cap to about 1
> inch on top and marinaged it over night. After the marinade I dried
> it and dry rubbed it down and let sit for 30 minutes. Got the smoker
> to 220 and placed the brisket fat side up on the smoker. cooked it
> for 6 hours and the internal temp was kept at 160 for the last 2
> hours. mopped it every hour and then let sit for 20 minutes after
> cooking. The taste was great but was a little chewy. What can I do
> to make it more tender?
>
> Stefan

Cook it until it's done. 195°F internal at least. Or stick a fork in it and
see if it twists easily. That temperature hang in the 160° - 170° range
is normal and is caused by the collagen breaking down. When all the
collagen (connective tissue) is broken down, the temp will rise again
like magic. Six hours at 220° is a couple or three hours shy of enough
for a ten pound brisket. I've seen eighteen hours reported here for a
full packer cut brisket. I cook hotter then that (250° - 300°) so mine
get done sooner. Somewhere in the eight to ten hour range.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Nathan Lau

stefan wrote:

> I tried to cook my first texas brisket today. I had a 10 pound
> untrimmed brisket with a nice fat cap. I trimmed the cap to about 1
> inch on top and marinaged it over night. After the marinade I dried
> it and dry rubbed it down and let sit for 30 minutes. Got the smoker
> to 220 and placed the brisket fat side up on the smoker. cooked it
> for 6 hours and the internal temp was kept at 160 for the last 2
> hours. mopped it every hour and then let sit for 20 minutes after
> cooking. The taste was great but was a little chewy. What can I do
> to make it more tender?

Cook it longer. The internal needs to get to 195 or higher. Bump the
smoker temp up when it hits the plateau so it doesn't take so long
getting done. You don't need to mop - that adds time to the cook.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Jim Bannerman

Bill Cannon's Brisket Recipe This recipe is from a guy, Bill Cannon, who
has won the brisket championship at the big Houston Rodeo cook-off. Take an
untrimmed brisket and lather it down with Worcestershire sauce Grind in good
amounts of a meat rub all over the brisket. I prefer Bill's rub which can be
found at www.texasbbqrub.com . I use a Texas-style smoker pit with an
offset firebox. Water is kept in the reservoir at the bottom of the barrel.
Place the 15 to 16 pound brisket in the 200 degree barrel with the FAT SIDE
FACING DOWN. This protects the thin part of the flat. Remember that the heat
comes from below. After 3 ½ hours to 4 hours remove the brisket and wrap it
tightly with aluminum foil. Then repeat that a second time with MORE
aluminum foil. At this point you have three choices (1) put the wrapped
brisket back in the barrel at 200 degrees for 10-12 more hours...you really
can't overcook it...14 hours will even work, OR (2) place the wrapped
brisket in a conventional oven and time cook it for 10-12 more hours, OR (3)
turn on your log lighter and adjust your pit temperature to 200 degrees and
cook the wrapped brisket for 10-12 more hours. The results are identical.
The brisket has taken ALL the smoke it is going to take after 3 ½ hours.
From then on you are just slowly bringing the internal temperature of the
brisket up to a fully cooked state. This can not be rushed if you want a
tender brisket. The results are spectacular and the brisket, which is by
nature a really sorry piece of beef, will twist apart effortlessly with a
fork. It is really easy but it is not fast. If you don't have the patience
to do it like this just get a blow torch and burn it up like most folks do
and then hacksaw it apart like it was beef jerky. LOL. Jim Bannerman,
jim@tejassmokersdotcom

BOB

Nick wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:38:56 GMT, "Jim Bannerman"
>>

> Now there are two prducts I WON'T consider in the future.
>
> Tejas Smokers and TexasBBQRub are off my list.
>
> Your post read like an advertisement, which is what it was.
> Unsolicited SPAM! Now... kindly go and screw yourself.

That was a friend of Hounds. Jim doesn't post here because he *does* get
accused of spamming.
Maybe if he'd post more often?

He's a good source of information.

BOB

BOB

Nick wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:20:48 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> Nick wrote:
>>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:38:56 GMT, "Jim Bannerman"
>>>>
>>> Now there are two prducts I WON'T consider in the future.
>>>
>>> Tejas Smokers and TexasBBQRub are off my list.
>>>
>>> Your post read like an advertisement, which is what it was.
>>> Unsolicited SPAM! Now... kindly go and screw yourself.

>> That was a friend of Hounds. Jim doesn't post here because he *does* get
>> accused of spamming.
>> Maybe if he'd post more often?
>>
>> He's a good source of information.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> If he were responding to another post and put the links in a sig,
> that's OK with me. If he were responding to another post and plugged
> his product, OK... put the links in yor sig or add a disclaimer.
> Advertising is OK with me if it is in response to another's post.
>
> I just don't like it when people try to "sneak" advertisements into
> posts (good info or not) created to promote a product or disguised as
> a legitimate post.

He was responding to "Stefan's" post "texas brisket" notice the "" in the
subject? (I know that real spammers will add a "" when it is *NOT* a
response. Yet another reason that people should quote *PART* of what they are
responding to.

Another reason for everyone to use a threaded newsreader, too.

BOB

BOB

" BOB" > wrote:
> Nick wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:38:56 GMT, "Jim Bannerman"
> >>

> > Now there are two prducts I WON'T consider in the future.
> >
> > Tejas Smokers and TexasBBQRub are off my list.
> >
> > Your post read like an advertisement, which is what it was.
> > Unsolicited SPAM! Now... kindly go and screw yourself.

> That was a friend of Hounds. Jim doesn't post here because he *does* get
> accused of spamming. Maybe if he'd post more often?
>
> He's a good source of information.

I don't think he's learned much. I don't recall Cuch ever steaming his Q.
Of course, I've been wrong before. ;!(

--
Nick, Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Vote Freedom First . . . but if ya don't vote, don't complain!

How to use FOIA to get Military Records at http://www.stolenvalor.com/

Jack Curry

BOB wrote:
> wrote:

>>> That was a friend of Hounds. Jim doesn't post here because he
>>> *does* get accused of spamming. Maybe if he'd post more often?
>>>
>>> He's a good source of information. (sometimes?)
>>>

>> I don't think he's learned much. I don't recall Cuch ever steaming
>> his Q. Of course, I've been wrong before. ;!(
>>

> Well, I may be wrong here, especially after visiting the Tejas cooker
> website. I seem to remember a recipe section, that had a couple by
> Cuch, but there is no section there today. Just a section selling
> cook books.
> *STILL* I go by my other post in this thread, advocating *quoting*
> the parts of the post that are being replied to, and using a threaded
> (or turning on the threaded function) news reader.
>
> BOB
> who was wrong once... ;-)

There is a Recipe section at the bottom of Jim's website (it's a little hard
to find). Hound contributed, Fos contributed and so did I.
Jim Bannerman is not a spammer. By Hound's account (even if he isn't here
to speak for himself), Jim builds a damn fine cooker and while he may have
been mislead about foiling a brisket, he's a good guy.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

BOB wrote:
> wrote:

>>> That was a friend of Hounds. Jim doesn't post here because he
>>> *does* get accused of spamming. Maybe if he'd post more often?
>>>
>>> He's a good source of information. (sometimes?)
>>>

>> I don't think he's learned much. I don't recall Cuch ever steaming
>> his Q. Of course, I've been wrong before. ;!(
>>

> Well, I may be wrong here, especially after visiting the Tejas cooker
> website. I seem to remember a recipe section, that had a couple by
> Cuch, but there is no section there today. Just a section selling
> cook books.
> *STILL* I go by my other post in this thread, advocating *quoting*
> the parts of the post that are being replied to, and using a threaded
> (or turning on the threaded function) news reader.
>
> BOB
> who was wrong once... ;-)

There is a Recipe section at the bottom of Jim's website (it's a little hard
to find). Hound contributed, Fos contributed and so did I.
Jim Bannerman is not a spammer. By Hound's account (even if he isn't here
to speak for himself), Jim builds a damn fine cooker and while he may have
been mislead about foiling a brisket, he's a good guy.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> []
> There is a Recipe section at the bottom of Jim's website (it's a little
> hard to find). Hound contributed, Fos contributed and so did I.
> Jim Bannerman is not a spammer. By Hound's account (even if he isn't
> here to speak for himself), Jim builds a damn fine cooker and while he
> may have been mislead about foiling a brisket, he's a good guy.

Thanks for the clarification. I've acted in haste before and licked my
wounds at leisure. ;~(

"Curses! Foiled again!" - Oilcan (Brisket) Harry, Terrytoon cartoons, 1937

--
Nick, Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Vote Freedom First . . . but if ya don't vote, don't complain!

How to use FOIA to get Military Records at http://www.stolenvalor.com/
BOB

Jack Curry wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> I don't think he's learned much. I don't recall Cuch ever steaming
>>> his Q. Of course, I've been wrong before. ;!(
>>>

>> Well, I may be wrong here, especially after visiting the Tejas cooker
>> website. I seem to remember a recipe section, that had a couple by
>> Cuch, but there is no section there today. Just a section selling
>> cook books.
>> *STILL* I go by my other post in this thread, advocating *quoting*
>> the parts of the post that are being replied to, and using a threaded
>> (or turning on the threaded function) news reader.
>>
>> BOB
>> who was wrong once... ;-)

> There is a Recipe section at the bottom of Jim's website (it's a little hard
> to find). Hound contributed, Fos contributed and so did I.
> Jim Bannerman is not a spammer. By Hound's account (even if he isn't here
> to speak for himself), Jim builds a damn fine cooker and while he may have
> been mislead about foiling a brisket, he's a good guy.
>
> Jack Curry

Thanks for the confirmation that my memory isn't going any faster than I already
knew.

As for the steaming/foiling, on many forums and in many competitions, foiling
and returning to the fire seems to be the new thing (seems to win in
competitions, too). Disgusting as it sounds, it's got to be better than
boiling.

BOB

bbq

BOB wrote:

> Thanks for the confirmation that my memory isn't going any faster than I already
> knew.
>
> As for the steaming/foiling, on many forums and in many competitions, foiling
> and returning to the fire seems to be the new thing (seems to win in
> competitions, too). Disgusting as it sounds, it's got to be better than
> boiling.
>
> BOB

The few competitions I have been to, long cooks, like brisket, are
cooked till done or nearly done then wrapped in foil and held in a pit
at 150° to comply with the rules of the competition. Once the time
comes to turn it in, it gets sliced. Turn in times are about 30 minutes
I think. And we all know, we can't predict with any precision how long
a brisket or any meat will take to Q to perfection. It's done when it's
done.

BBQ

bbq

" BOB" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> As for the steaming/foiling, on many forums and in many competitions,
> foiling and returning to the fire seems to be the new thing (seems to win
> in competitions, too). Disgusting as it sounds, it's got to be better
> than boiling.

But boiling gives ya a bunch of beef stock! Disgusting as it sounds, I'm
waitin' fer the cuz to finish makin' my beef tendon soup for tonight's
din-din. One of my favorites. I'll get a good sweat off of it!

" BOB" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> As for the steaming/foiling, on many forums and in many competitions,
> foiling and returning to the fire seems to be the new thing (seems to win
> in competitions, too). Disgusting as it sounds, it's got to be better
> than boiling.

But boiling gives ya a bunch of beef stock! Disgusting as it sounds, I'm
waitin' fer the cuz to finish makin' my beef tendon soup for tonight's
din-din. One of my favorites. I'll get a good sweat off of it!

--
Nick, Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Vote Freedom First . . . but if ya don't vote, don't complain!

How to use FOIA to get Military Records at http://www.stolenvalor.com/
Jim Bannerman

Bill Cannon has won first place in the brisket competition at the Houston
Livestock and Rodeo World's Championship BBQ Cookoff using the recipe and
method I recently posted. Overall attendance at the most recent,
February-2004, four day Cookoff was slightly over 183,000 folks. The
competition (359 team entries in 2004) is fierce as this is a highly coveted
award. The HLSR Cookoff is considered one of the four major national bbq
cookoffs. This was his recipe, not mine. He was kind enough to give me the
recipe and I just wanted to pass it along in response to Stefan's question.
FYI, Bill Cannon cooks on a large Klose trailer pit. For those of you who
have not cooked a brisket in this manner I encourage you to at least give it
a try. I want to thank those of you in the newsgroup who have sent me some
of your favorite recipes that they were willing to share with others.
Proper credit is always given. Back to the (much safer) lurking mode again.
By the way, Dave B., get out of the kitchen and get back to the newsgroup.
LOL. jim@tejassmokersdotcom

"Jack Sloan" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > Looks like the cuz may be headin' back ta Thailand ta work on our
> > 'ranch', which I call the 'Rockin' N':

> You could starve to death.

Nah. I got a bottomless supply of Rum!

"Jack Sloan" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > Looks like the cuz may be headin' back ta Thailand ta work on our
> > 'ranch', which I call the 'Rockin' N':

> You could starve to death.

Nah. I got a bottomless supply of Rum!

--
Nick, Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Vote Freedom First . . . but if ya don't vote, don't complain!

How to use FOIA to get Military Records at http://www.stolenvalor.com/
cl

Nick wrote:

> Now there are two prducts I WON'T consider in the future.
>
> Tejas Smokers and TexasBBQRub are off my list.
>
> Your post read like an advertisement, which is what it was.
> Unsolicited SPAM! Now... kindly go and screw yourself.

Did you decide to go as an asshole for Halloween? You might want to
verify the fellows intent rather than guessing.

-CAL
cl

BOB wrote:

> As for the steaming/foiling, on many forums and in many competitions, foiling
> and returning to the fire seems to be the new thing (seems to win in
> competitions, too). Disgusting as it sounds, it's got to be better than
> boiling.
>
> BOB

If your running the pit at 225-250, the meat isn't hot enought to allow
for the drippings to turn to steam anyways. The only difference is that
the bark previously developed before the foil is softened due to the
drippings and a faster transfer of heat to the meat occurs. If you want
your bark hard again just unfoil for the last hour. Ribs and butts are
no different.

That said, I prefer to cook unfoiled except for when the bone/thickness
causes the meat to have a broad temperature difference. This is more
because I'm afraid of overcooking some portions in an effort to bring
the rest up to temperature. I do foil for resting. I'm am also guilty of
doing it to speed up progress but we have all had those times where
things didn't get done as fast as we hoped.

-CAL
cl

BOB wrote:

> As for the steaming/foiling, on many forums and in many competitions, foiling
> and returning to the fire seems to be the new thing (seems to win in
> competitions, too). Disgusting as it sounds, it's got to be better than
> boiling.
>
> BOB

If your running the pit at 225-250, the meat isn't hot enought to allow
for the drippings to turn to steam anyways. The only difference is that
the bark previously developed before the foil is softened due to the
drippings and a faster transfer of heat to the meat occurs. If you want
your bark hard again just unfoil for the last hour. Ribs and butts are
no different.

That said, I prefer to cook unfoiled except for when the bone/thickness
causes the meat to have a broad temperature difference. This is more
because I'm afraid of overcooking some portions in an effort to bring
the rest up to temperature. I do foil for resting. I'm am also guilty of
doing it to speed up progress but we have all had those times where
things didn't get done as fast as we hoped.

-CAL

Matthew L. Martin

cl wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>

>>As for the steaming/foiling, on many forums and in many competitions, foiling
>>and returning to the fire seems to be the new thing (seems to win in
>>competitions, too). Disgusting as it sounds, it's got to be better than
>>boiling.
>>
>>BOB

> If your running the pit at 225-250, the meat isn't hot enought to allow
> for the drippings to turn to steam anyways.

Where do you live that water boils above 250 degrees?

Matthew
Matthew L. Martin

cl wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>

>>As for the steaming/foiling, on many forums and in many competitions, foiling
>>and returning to the fire seems to be the new thing (seems to win in
>>competitions, too). Disgusting as it sounds, it's got to be better than
>>boiling.
>>
>>BOB

> If your running the pit at 225-250, the meat isn't hot enought to allow
> for the drippings to turn to steam anyways.

Where do you live that water boils above 250 degrees?

Matthew
cl

"Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

> > If your running the pit at 225-250, the meat isn't hot enought to allow
> > for the drippings to turn to steam anyways.

> Where do you live that water boils above 250 degrees?
>
> Matthew

Do you cook your meat to 250, I don't.

You seem to ignore the fact that just because the chamber is at 250, the
contents tend to be much lower.
-CAL
cl

"Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

> > If your running the pit at 225-250, the meat isn't hot enought to allow
> > for the drippings to turn to steam anyways.

> Where do you live that water boils above 250 degrees?
>
> Matthew

Do you cook your meat to 250, I don't.

You seem to ignore the fact that just because the chamber is at 250, the
contents tend to be much lower.
-CAL
Matthew L. Martin

cl wrote:

> "Matthew L. Martin" wrote:
>

>>>If your running the pit at 225-250, the meat isn't hot enought to allow
>>>for the drippings to turn to steam anyways.

>>Where do you live that water boils above 250 degrees?
>>
>>Matthew

> Do you cook your meat to 250, I don't.
>
> You seem to ignore the fact that just because the chamber is at 250, the
> contents tend to be much lower.

Water turns to steam at 212 or less. Drippings are primarily water and
fat. Fat floats on water. Fat is an insulator. Water under fat in a 250
degree environment will boil. Boiling water creates steam.

Matthew