Liz

Default Flavorizing bars

I almost bought a Weber Genesis Silver A but decided on the much less
epensive Weber Q. I don't cook for a lot of people and I like tha fact
that if the winter weather is really bad I can keep the propane tank
outside but put the little Q in the garage.
However, the Q doesn't come with the flavorizer bars. I've only had the
Q for a few days but am thinking perhaps the flavorizer bars make a
difference in the taste.
Also, I have never tried the wood pellets and don't know if I would
like them but would like to try them out. There is no room in the Q
under the grate to put them. Would they work a all on the grate? The
Q comes with a porcelain coated iron caste grate.
Thanks for any advice.
Liz

Abe

>I almost bought a Weber Genesis Silver A but decided on the much less
>expensive Weber Q. I don't cook for a lot of people and I like that fact
>that if the winter weather is really bad I can keep the propane tank
>outside but put the little Q in the garage.
>However, the Q doesn't come with the flavorizer bars. I've only had the
>Q for a few days but am thinking perhaps the flavorizer bars make a
>difference in the taste.
>Also, I have never tried the wood pellets and don't know if I would
>like them but would like to try them out. There is no room in the Q
>under the grate to put them. Would they work a all on the grate? The
>Q comes with a porcelain coated iron caste grate.
>Thanks for any advice.

-------
You only need to post once. Give the post some time to show up.

Steve Calvin

Abe wrote:
>>I almost bought a Weber Genesis Silver A but decided on the much less
>>expensive Weber Q. I don't cook for a lot of people and I like that fact
>>that if the winter weather is really bad I can keep the propane tank
>>outside but put the little Q in the garage.
>>However, the Q doesn't come with the flavorizer bars. I've only had the
>>Q for a few days but am thinking perhaps the flavorizer bars make a
>>difference in the taste.
>>Also, I have never tried the wood pellets and don't know if I would
>>like them but would like to try them out. There is no room in the Q
>>under the grate to put them. Would they work a all on the grate? The
>>Q comes with a porcelain coated iron caste grate.
>>Thanks for any advice.

> -------
> You only need to post once. Give the post some time to show up.

I thought that the Silver was the lowest gasser that Weber made?!?
What model did you buy?

--
Steve
Steve Calvin

Abe wrote:
>>I almost bought a Weber Genesis Silver A but decided on the much less
>>expensive Weber Q. I don't cook for a lot of people and I like that fact
>>that if the winter weather is really bad I can keep the propane tank
>>outside but put the little Q in the garage.
>>However, the Q doesn't come with the flavorizer bars. I've only had the
>>Q for a few days but am thinking perhaps the flavorizer bars make a
>>difference in the taste.
>>Also, I have never tried the wood pellets and don't know if I would
>>like them but would like to try them out. There is no room in the Q
>>under the grate to put them. Would they work a all on the grate? The
>>Q comes with a porcelain coated iron caste grate.
>>Thanks for any advice.

> -------
> You only need to post once. Give the post some time to show up.

I thought that the Silver was the lowest gasser that Weber made?!?
What model did you buy?

--
Steve
Liz

I bought the Weber Q which is advertised as a hybrid portable/backyard
gas grill. I called Weber's hotline last night and they said that the
Weber Q will give me that smoky barbecue taste just like the bigger
Webers but not right away. I will get that only after the cookbox gets
a good coating of grease.

Matthew L. Martin

Liz wrote:
> I bought the Weber Q which is advertised as a hybrid portable/backyard
> gas grill. I called Weber's hotline last night and they said that the
> Weber Q will give me that smoky barbecue taste just like the bigger
> Webers but not right away. I will get that only after the cookbox gets
> a good coating of grease.

Ummmmm... Wouldn't that give you that greasy spoon taste? Smoky flavor
comes from wood, not grease.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Lizwrote:
> >>I almost bought a Weber Genesis Silver A but decided on the much less
> >>expensive Weber Q.

[snip]

> >>Also, I have never tried the wood pellets and don't know if I would
> >>like them but would like to try them out. There is no room in the Q
> >>under the grate to put them. Would they work a all on the grate? The
> >>Q comes with a porcelain coated iron caste grate.
> >>Thanks for any advice.

[snip]

> I thought that the Silver was the lowest gasser that Weber made?!?
> What model did you buy?

> Steve

To Steve: Liz bought the "Weber Q" which is small portable Weber gasser.
Much smaller than the Genesis series of gasser grills.

To Liz: The flavorizer bars make a difference to some people. The
arguement being the grease drips on it and sizzle, bringing flavor back
into the food. I suppose this is a matter of taste. To put some wood
smokey flavor into your cooking, you could get some wood chips, put it in
an aluminum foil pouch, punch some holes, and place that on the grills.
It is MUCH easier to clean up afterwards. One caveate is this will reduce
your effective cooking area.

--
Kevin

Do you really need to email to reply? Just post it!
Otherwise: 'ah' underscore 'chang' at sign hotmail period com
BOB

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Liz wrote:
>> I bought the Weber Q which is advertised as a hybrid
>> portable/backyard gas grill. I called Weber's hotline last night
>> and they said that the Weber Q will give me that smoky barbecue
>> taste just like the bigger Webers but not right away. I will get
>> that only after the cookbox gets a good coating of grease.
>>

> Ummmmm... Wouldn't that give you that greasy spoon taste? Smoky
> flavor
> comes from wood, not grease.
>
> --
> Matthew

What he said. Wood makes good smoke. Grease makes bad smoke.

BOB

cl

"Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

> Liz wrote:
> > I bought the Weber Q which is advertised as a hybrid portable/backyard
> > gas grill. I called Weber's hotline last night and they said that the
> > Weber Q will give me that smoky barbecue taste just like the bigger
> > Webers but not right away. I will get that only after the cookbox gets
> > a good coating of grease.
> >

> Ummmmm... Wouldn't that give you that greasy spoon taste? Smoky flavor
> comes from wood, not grease.

It depends on the degreee of combustion of the grease/fat. It is no
different from creosote from wood. Burn it hot enough and the flavor is
good, too cool and it tastes bitter(and burn it too hot and no smoke
results).

So Matt, do you suck on greasy spoons often?

-CAL

Liz

Thanks, everybody, for your input. I really didn't like the taste of
my steaks on the Weber Q. I took back all the accessories I bought for
it and ordered a Weber Genesis Silver A to be delivered on Saturday. I
am selling the grill itself. My chiropractor has shown an interest and
he does a lot of camping so it might be good for him. If the steaks
don't taste better on the Silver A I am going to shoot myself!! I just
read on bbq.About.com that at 26,000 BTU's total from the 2 burners,
it is hard to sear a steak. I can't win!!!!

Steve Calvin

Liz wrote:
> Thanks, everybody, for your input. I really didn't like the taste of
> my steaks on the Weber Q. I took back all the accessories I bought for
> it and ordered a Weber Genesis Silver A to be delivered on Saturday. I
> am selling the grill itself. My chiropractor has shown an interest and
> he does a lot of camping so it might be good for him. If the steaks
> don't taste better on the Silver A I am going to shoot myself!! I just
> read on bbq.About.com that at 26,000 BTU's total from the 2 burners,
> it is hard to sear a steak. I can't win!!!!

Well, I don't know about the Genesis A, mine's a B and it'll definatly
sear. I've had it for about 6 years now in the NE US sitting outside all
year ('cause I use it all year), no cover and it looks and works like it
did when it was new.

If you can swing the difference in price, I'd go with the Genesis B.
It's got 10,000 more BTUs, another burner which gives better heat
control and with all three of 'em fired up I honestly don't know how
hot it gets at the grates. I know it'll peg a 650dF thermometer sitting
on the cooking grates though so I'd guess at least 700dF.

Good luck

--
Steve

Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" original Superprotein bars (Dec 25, 2010) Manda Ruby General Cooking 56 24-01-2011 03:07 AM
The MOST bars zek Beer 1 27-11-2006 05:35 PM
Mud Hen Bars Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-09-2006 05:00 AM
The Most Bars [email protected] Beer 11 19-05-2006 02:57 PM
Flavorizing bars Liz Barbecue 0 12-04-2005 03:29 AM