A. Kesteloo

Default Steel bbq / smoker design evaluation

I have been reading this newsgroup for over a year now, and asked some
questions about a steel smoker design. With your response I have build a
stainless steel smoker. After using it for about 5 months, I thought it is
time to let you know the results.
Use this link for a picture of the result. http://www.creativeimpulse.nl
click on "roken" in the menu on the left side of the window.
The basis of this bbq was the "big baby double barrel smoker"
(http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/met...by/default.jsp)
The bottom barrel is 175 liter (46.24 u.s. gallon) the top barrel 275 liter
(72.66 u.s. gallon) cooking Surfaces 0.45 m2 (672.5 inch 2)
All air inlet and outlets are 12 cm (4.72 inch) diameter witch can be
closed.

Pro's:

Holds heat well, after placing a steel plate over the pipes as heat shield
(tuning plate). There are no problems with hot spots.

You can use wood only

It does not rust

Holds a lot of meat (22 kg max) (48.5 u.s. pound)

Good airflow. Almost to good. Most of the time one air outlet and damper
(between the two barrels) are closed.

Because the pipes extend 5 cm into the smoke chamber, the grease cannot flow
into the fire

Grease Drain with Valve, for easy cleaning

Size, because the barrels are on top of each other it does not need a lot of
space. Smaller than an off set design

Wood consumption efficient? You need only a small fire to get a temp of 125
C (257 F).

Contra:

Hot smoking at a temp of 60 / 80 C (140 / 176 F) is possible, but the fire
(small) needs a lot of attention. (get a chair and a beer, no problem)

Adding wood is easy because it is a big door, but when opening this type of
door, the heat and smoke is blown in your face. The heat is not the problem,
but the smoke in your face makes you cry (but at least at the end of the
day, you smell good)

The two cooking surfaces are to close together 12 cm (4.72 inch) witch makes
mopping a problem.

Because of the good airflow, pieces of ash can reach the smoke chamber and
stick on the meat. I'm experimenting with a filter in the pipe between the
two barrels, but so far without success (bad airflow)

Price, stainless steel is not cheap. Although the barrels can be found for 1
/ 1,5$ per kg (2.2 pound)

Electric welding of stainless steel is not easy. Mig or tig welding is
better, but you need the equipment witch is expensive.

Things to do better next time:

Build a bigger one

Get control over the ash problem

Other type of door to add wood

The air inlet size is good, the pipes between the barrels and air outlet can
be smaller

All the pipes can be opened and closed. The valves need a good fit to be
efficient. Put a lot of effort to get this right.

What to cook:

I usually use the smoker ones a month. I live in a suburban area, and do not
want to upset the neighbors to much. So far, I used it to hot smoke meat.
Meanly pieces of ham (1.5 kg / 3.3 pounds), Canadian bacon (1.5 kg / 3.3
pounds), other bacon (from the belly) and turkey breast (1 to 2 kg) . These
pieces have been in a brine for 3 or 4 days. We usually eat this meat cold
on a sandwich.

The last view times. I also tried spare ribs (dry rub). I used a temp of 120
C (248 F), and smoked them for about 4 hours. Some came out good, some to
dry and tough. Maybe the spare ribs where not the same, maybe I need to mop
more. Next time I hope to experiment with pulled pork and home made
sausages.

Well, you can ask, why do you need 20 kg of meat each month? I sell most of
it. So far, they all come back for more.

The smoker is already to small, and hope to build a bigger on next winter. I
'm thinking of a trailer size off set smoker 600 to 1000 liter smoke chamber
(158 to 264 gallon) with an vertical smoke chamber added as well as an box
for grilling. When mounted on a trailer, the length should about 2,5 to 3
meter (8.2 to 9,8 feet). As far as I know, American BBQ is not done here
yet, maybe I can start a business with it. So far it is just an idea, but
who knows.

Adriaan

Matthew L. Martin

A. Kesteloo wrote:

Good stuff snipped

> Adriaan

That's quite a cooker you made. It sure seems like you are having as
much fun cooking as building, too. Good job.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Duwop

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> A. Kesteloo wrote:
> >
> > Adriaan
> >

> That's quite a cooker you made. It sure seems like you are having as
> much fun cooking as building, too. Good job.

That's great! It looks like you'll get fine results with that. "The Boiler"
LOL, a nice nod to it's origins.

Guys, check out his "Fotoboek"->2004->BBQ where you can see it getting
built.

Good stuff, big congrats Adriaan.

George B. Ross

A. Kesteloo ) opined:

> I have been reading this newsgroup for over a year now, and
> asked some questions about a steel smoker design. With your
> response I have build a stainless steel smoker. After using
> it for about 5 months, I thought it is time to let you know
> the results. Use this link for a picture of the result.
> http://www.creativeimpulse.nl click on "roken" in the menu
> on the left side of the window.

Very nice smoker, thanks for sharing the creative experience.
I'm sure you get quite a few strange looks from visitors to
your back yard!

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bits for email