Daniel

Default Steaming Pastrami?

I have been doing a lot of reading on making Pastrami/Smoked Meat.

And in some of the procedures of making Pastrami suggest steaming the meat
for about 3 hours after smoking. This is done to re-moisten the meat after
the brining and smoking process.

Wouldn't the steaming cook the meat even further and cause it to be
overcooked? Should the meat be taken out earlier from the smoker and then
steamed?

And can anyone suggest how to go about steaming the meat, I was thinking of
bringing some water to a simmer in a roasting pan and placing the meat on a
rack to steam? Should it be covered or un covered?

After reading I think this is an important step to having nice juicy slices
of pastrami, and I definitely would like to try it, I'm just afraid that I
might ruin the final product by over cooking it.

Thanks
Daniel.

OSIRIS

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:52:43 -0500, "Daniel" > wrote:

>I have been doing a lot of reading on making Pastrami/Smoked Meat.
>
>Wouldn't the steaming cook the meat even further and cause it to be
>overcooked? Should the meat be taken out earlier from the smoker and then
>steamed?

I'm from Montreal (think Montreal Smoked Meat). In every deli I've been in
where they serve smoked meat, it's stored in the fridge then re-heated to
serving temperature with steam. I assume that's because other methods would
likely dry it out. So steam is for re-heating before serving, not part of the
original cooking process IMHO.
MRTL

The best pastrami in the world is either at the Stage or the Carnegie deli -
about a block apart on 7th Avenue near 55th St in the City. Take your pick.
Both of these kitchens prepare the pastrami in advance, and then for each
order the meat is sliced and steamed.

At the Stage in Century City (Los Angeles), I was told they use a small
pressure steamer.

Brick

On 23-Mar-2005, "MRTL" > wrote:

> The best pastrami in the world is either at the Stage or the Carnegie deli
> -
> about a block apart on 7th Avenue near 55th St in the City. Take your
> pick.
> Both of these kitchens prepare the pastrami in advance, and then for each
> order the meat is sliced and steamed.
>
> At the Stage in Century City (Los Angeles), I was told they use a small
> pressure steamer.

The better sandwich deli's employ a built to purpose sandwich steamer.
The sandwich is inserted and the lid closed on it. Then the merchant
operates a lever on the side which injects a measured amount of water
onto a heated element. The resulting hiss and jets of escaping steam
only add to the eating experience. The devices I've seen make no
attempt to pressurize the process. The last time I saw one was at
"La Groceria" in Roslyn, VA. That's a deli to compare the rest with.
Everything was absolutely fresh and the vast quantity of ingredients
and breads they offered was amazine. They were relatively pricey,
but well worth it.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

OSIRIS

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:

>The best pastrami in the world is

a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.

Ok, I'm soliciting flames (in a fun sort of way). What I'm trying to say is
IMHO that Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat share only Beef Brisket in common.
The Montreal product makes pastrami seem bland by comparison.

Hey Guys and Gals -- anyone out there from Montreal to back me up on this?

(keep the flames tepid - it's all in good fun)

OSIRIS

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:

>The best pastrami in the world is

a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.

Ok, I'm soliciting flames (in a fun sort of way). What I'm trying to say is
IMHO that Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat share only Beef Brisket in common.
The Montreal product makes pastrami seem bland by comparison.

Hey Guys and Gals -- anyone out there from Montreal to back me up on this?

(keep the flames tepid - it's all in good fun)
Reg

OSIRIS wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:
>

>>The best pastrami in the world is

> a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.
>
> Ok, I'm soliciting flames (in a fun sort of way). What I'm trying to say is
> IMHO that Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat share only Beef Brisket in common.
> The Montreal product makes pastrami seem bland by comparison.

No flames, heck no. I've heard a lot about Montreal and their products and I'm
going to check it out next time I'm there. Do you recommended any particular
places or brands to try?

Reg

OSIRIS wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:
>

>>The best pastrami in the world is

> a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.
>
> Ok, I'm soliciting flames (in a fun sort of way). What I'm trying to say is
> IMHO that Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat share only Beef Brisket in common.
> The Montreal product makes pastrami seem bland by comparison.

No flames, heck no. I've heard a lot about Montreal and their products and I'm
going to check it out next time I'm there. Do you recommended any particular
places or brands to try?

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 04:13:37 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>OSIRIS wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:
>>

>>>The best pastrami in the world is

>> a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.
>>
>> Ok, I'm soliciting flames (in a fun sort of way). What I'm trying to say is
>> IMHO that Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat share only Beef Brisket in common.
>> The Montreal product makes pastrami seem bland by comparison.

>No flames, heck no. I've heard a lot about Montreal and their products and I'm
>going to check it out next time I'm there. Do you recommended any particular
>places or brands to try?

Any Mtl smoke meat place that tried the method described by Brick,
would have been tarred and feathered.

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 04:13:37 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>OSIRIS wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:
>>

>>>The best pastrami in the world is

>> a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.
>>
>> Ok, I'm soliciting flames (in a fun sort of way). What I'm trying to say is
>> IMHO that Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat share only Beef Brisket in common.
>> The Montreal product makes pastrami seem bland by comparison.

>No flames, heck no. I've heard a lot about Montreal and their products and I'm
>going to check it out next time I'm there. Do you recommended any particular
>places or brands to try?

Any Mtl smoke meat place that tried the method described by Brick,
would have been tarred and feathered.

Harry

Brick

On 25-Mar-2005, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 04:13:37 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> >OSIRIS wrote:

> >> a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.

<snip>

> >Can you recommended any
> >particular
> >places or brands to try?

> Any Mtl smoke meat place that tried the method described by Brick,
> would have been tarred and feathered.
>
> Harry

Perhaps you'll be so kind as to refresh my sorely deficient memory
Harry about what method I described that would get someone tarred
and feathered. The only method I can remember describing lately
was the use of sandwich steamers by Deli's in the Eastern U.S.
They make some truly delicious sandwiches there. I have no
knowledge of any smoked meat places except the BBQ places
around the country. For sure they would never use a sandwich
steemer, but a steamed Rueban on whole wheat bread is to die
for.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

Dave Morrison

OSIRIS wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:
>

>>The best pastrami in the world is

> a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.
>
> Ok, I'm soliciting flames (in a fun sort of way). What I'm trying to say is
> IMHO that Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat share only Beef Brisket in common.
> The Montreal product makes pastrami seem bland by comparison.

No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where real
short ribs come from.

> Hey Guys and Gals -- anyone out there from Montreal to back me up on this?
>
> (keep the flames tepid - it's all in good fun)

Tepid?? in this group 225-250° is about right.
Dave.

Dave Morrison

OSIRIS wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:
>

>>The best pastrami in the world is

> a poor imitation of the worst Montreal Smoked Meat.
>
> Ok, I'm soliciting flames (in a fun sort of way). What I'm trying to say is
> IMHO that Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat share only Beef Brisket in common.
> The Montreal product makes pastrami seem bland by comparison.

No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where real
short ribs come from.

> Hey Guys and Gals -- anyone out there from Montreal to back me up on this?
>
> (keep the flames tepid - it's all in good fun)

Tepid?? in this group 225-250° is about right.
Dave.

OSIRIS

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 04:13:37 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>OSIRIS wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:
>>

>No flames, heck no. I've heard a lot about Montreal and their products and I'm
>going to check it out next time I'm there. Do you recommended any particular
>places or brands to try?

Well, that's the thing, see? Everybody has their favourite and sometimes
discussions of such things can turn almost violent <grin>. Most of the big
names make their own, so it's not so much a "brand" as a location. I like
Schwartz's but not Dunn's. Then there's Snowden's and Ben's. If I were you, I'd
do a google, make a list, and go on a mini-pilgrimage to try 'em all.

At Schwartz's, order a "half-fat". They will slice half from the fatty end and
half from the lean. That way it's nice and juicy (I'm getting hungry just
describing it). I usually order an extra pickle as well.

OSIRIS

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 04:13:37 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>OSIRIS wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0800, "MRTL" > wrote:
>>

>No flames, heck no. I've heard a lot about Montreal and their products and I'm
>going to check it out next time I'm there. Do you recommended any particular
>places or brands to try?

Well, that's the thing, see? Everybody has their favourite and sometimes
discussions of such things can turn almost violent <grin>. Most of the big
names make their own, so it's not so much a "brand" as a location. I like
Schwartz's but not Dunn's. Then there's Snowden's and Ben's. If I were you, I'd
do a google, make a list, and go on a mini-pilgrimage to try 'em all.

At Schwartz's, order a "half-fat". They will slice half from the fatty end and
half from the lean. That way it's nice and juicy (I'm getting hungry just
describing it). I usually order an extra pickle as well.

OSIRIS

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:33:48 GMT, "Brick" > wrote:

>On 25-Mar-2005, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
>

>> Any Mtl smoke meat place that tried the method described by Brick,
>> would have been tarred and feathered.
>>
>> Harry

>Perhaps you'll be so kind as to refresh my sorely deficient memory
>Harry about what method I described that would get someone tarred
>and feathered.
>
>Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

I'm sure it works just fine. It's not the way they do it in Montreal, that's
all. Everything about the Montreal Smoked Meat experience is deeply steeped in
tradition. For example no-one repeat NO_ONE would ever consider using whole
wheat bread -- only European style rye bread, spread with a generous dollop of
mustard, and a Kosher dill pickle on the side.

PS: When you think of "Smoked" don't think southern 'Q. Think pastrami that's
gone through a couple of secret steps to make it better.

OSIRIS

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:33:48 GMT, "Brick" > wrote:

>On 25-Mar-2005, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
>

>> Any Mtl smoke meat place that tried the method described by Brick,
>> would have been tarred and feathered.
>>
>> Harry

>Perhaps you'll be so kind as to refresh my sorely deficient memory
>Harry about what method I described that would get someone tarred
>and feathered.
>
>Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

I'm sure it works just fine. It's not the way they do it in Montreal, that's
all. Everything about the Montreal Smoked Meat experience is deeply steeped in
tradition. For example no-one repeat NO_ONE would ever consider using whole
wheat bread -- only European style rye bread, spread with a generous dollop of
mustard, and a Kosher dill pickle on the side.

PS: When you think of "Smoked" don't think southern 'Q. Think pastrami that's
gone through a couple of secret steps to make it better.

Reg

Dave Morrison wrote:

> No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
> Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
> behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where real
> short ribs come from.

I've made it using plate. It was quite good but not exactly a hands
down winner over a packer cut brisket. Many of the people I serve
prefer it made from brisket.

Add to that the fact that brisket commonly stocked and 1/2
the price it's not a mystery why most people use brisket.

Reg

Dave Morrison wrote:

> No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
> Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
> behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where real
> short ribs come from.

I've made it using plate. It was quite good but not exactly a hands
down winner over a packer cut brisket. Many of the people I serve
prefer it made from brisket.

Add to that the fact that brisket commonly stocked and 1/2
the price it's not a mystery why most people use brisket.

Steve Calvin

Dave Morrison wrote:

> No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
> Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
> behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where real
> short ribs come from.

From epicurious:
pastrami
[puh-STRAH-mee]
A highly seasoned beef made from a cut of plate, BRISKET or ROUND. After
the fat is trimmed, the meat's surface is rubbed with salt and a
seasoning paste that can include garlic, ground peppercorns, cinnamon,
red pepper, cloves, allspice and coriander seeds. The meat is dry-cured,
smoked and cooked. Pastrami can be served hot or cold, usually as a
sandwich on rye bread. It's widely available in chunks or presliced in
most supermarkets

From Websters:

Main Entry: pas·tra·mi
Variant(s): also pas·tromi /p&-'strä-mE/
Function: noun
Etymology: Yiddish pastrame, from Romanian pastrama pressed and cured meat
: a highly seasoned smoked beef prepared especially from shoulder cuts

Pastrami is a method, not a cut.

--
Steve

Steve Calvin

Dave Morrison wrote:

> No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
> Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
> behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where real
> short ribs come from.

From epicurious:
pastrami
[puh-STRAH-mee]
A highly seasoned beef made from a cut of plate, BRISKET or ROUND. After
the fat is trimmed, the meat's surface is rubbed with salt and a
seasoning paste that can include garlic, ground peppercorns, cinnamon,
red pepper, cloves, allspice and coriander seeds. The meat is dry-cured,
smoked and cooked. Pastrami can be served hot or cold, usually as a
sandwich on rye bread. It's widely available in chunks or presliced in
most supermarkets

From Websters:

Main Entry: pas·tra·mi
Variant(s): also pas·tromi /p&-'strä-mE/
Function: noun
Etymology: Yiddish pastrame, from Romanian pastrama pressed and cured meat
: a highly seasoned smoked beef prepared especially from shoulder cuts

Pastrami is a method, not a cut.

--
Steve
Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:00:55 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Dave Morrison wrote:
>

>> No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
>> Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
>> behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where real
>> short ribs come from.

> From epicurious:
>pastrami
>[puh-STRAH-mee]
>A highly seasoned beef made from a cut of plate, BRISKET or ROUND. After
>the fat is trimmed, the meat's surface is rubbed with salt and a
>seasoning paste that can include garlic, ground peppercorns, cinnamon,
>red pepper, cloves, allspice and coriander seeds. The meat is dry-cured,
>smoked and cooked. Pastrami can be served hot or cold, usually as a
>sandwich on rye bread. It's widely available in chunks or presliced in
>most supermarkets
>
> From Websters:
>
>Main Entry: pas·tra·mi
>Variant(s): also pas·tromi /p&-'strä-mE/
>Function: noun
>Etymology: Yiddish pastrame, from Romanian pastrama pressed and cured meat
>: a highly seasoned smoked beef prepared especially from shoulder cuts
>

>Pastrami is a method, not a cut.

OSIRIS

I was under the Impression that Dunn's [on St. Catherine had closed
some years ago. The daughter came out to Calgary and opened up a
Dunn's here - I'm not sure how she's doing as this Dunn's is no better
than the Montreal original.
Also I was not familiar with 'half-fat'. I do know the term 'Medium'
which likely the same thing.

Brick, I was indeed referring to your steam-to-reheat comments. And
whether one is making a Reuben or just a plain smoked meat/pastrami
meat sandwich, a good deli takes a hunk of meat out of a warm steamy
place, cuts off what is needed for the sandwich and replaces the hunk
of meat. The really busy places don't even bother - they will go
through a brisket fast enough that it stays out [warm] on the counter
from the get go.

I judge a deli very quickly - if they hand carve, they usually know
from the best. The other guys use a mechanical slicer.

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:00:55 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Dave Morrison wrote:
>

>> No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
>> Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
>> behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where real
>> short ribs come from.

> From epicurious:
>pastrami
>[puh-STRAH-mee]
>A highly seasoned beef made from a cut of plate, BRISKET or ROUND. After
>the fat is trimmed, the meat's surface is rubbed with salt and a
>seasoning paste that can include garlic, ground peppercorns, cinnamon,
>red pepper, cloves, allspice and coriander seeds. The meat is dry-cured,
>smoked and cooked. Pastrami can be served hot or cold, usually as a
>sandwich on rye bread. It's widely available in chunks or presliced in
>most supermarkets
>
> From Websters:
>
>Main Entry: pas·tra·mi
>Variant(s): also pas·tromi /p&-'strä-mE/
>Function: noun
>Etymology: Yiddish pastrame, from Romanian pastrama pressed and cured meat
>: a highly seasoned smoked beef prepared especially from shoulder cuts
>

>Pastrami is a method, not a cut.

OSIRIS

I was under the Impression that Dunn's [on St. Catherine had closed
some years ago. The daughter came out to Calgary and opened up a
Dunn's here - I'm not sure how she's doing as this Dunn's is no better
than the Montreal original.
Also I was not familiar with 'half-fat'. I do know the term 'Medium'
which likely the same thing.

Brick, I was indeed referring to your steam-to-reheat comments. And
whether one is making a Reuben or just a plain smoked meat/pastrami
meat sandwich, a good deli takes a hunk of meat out of a warm steamy
place, cuts off what is needed for the sandwich and replaces the hunk
of meat. The really busy places don't even bother - they will go
through a brisket fast enough that it stays out [warm] on the counter
from the get go.

I judge a deli very quickly - if they hand carve, they usually know
from the best. The other guys use a mechanical slicer.

Harry
OSIRIS

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:40:43 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:00:55 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:
>

>OSIRIS
>
>I was under the Impression that Dunn's [on St. Catherine had closed
>some years ago. The daughter came out to Calgary and opened up a
>Dunn's here - I'm not sure how she's doing as this Dunn's is no better
>than the Montreal original.

I am "From Montreal" but I'm now in Edmonton. They opened a Dunn's in the
Delta hotel on Calgary Trail North (now called Gateway Blvd in Edmonton. They
have since renamed the restaurant to Botanica (or something like that). Still
serve Dunn's smoked meat. I sorta like it, but not as much as some of the
others in Montreal. It's probably the best source I've found here in Edmonton.

>Also I was not familiar with 'half-fat'. I do know the term 'Medium'
>which likely the same thing.

Could be. I was introduced to SM by a friend from school in my early teens and
that's how he ordered it.

>I judge a deli very quickly - if they hand carve, they usually know
>from the best. The other guys use a mechanical slicer.
>
>Harry

Yeah. I remember watching the old guys in the various delis in Montreal carving
with a knife that had to be almost a yard long and working so fast you could
hardly follow it. They could carve it as thin as a playing card!

OSIRIS

wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:00:55 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:
>

>OSIRIS
>
>I was under the Impression that Dunn's [on St. Catherine had closed
>some years ago. The daughter came out to Calgary and opened up a
>Dunn's here - I'm not sure how she's doing as this Dunn's is no better
>than the Montreal original.

I am "From Montreal" but I'm now in Edmonton. They opened a Dunn's in the
Delta hotel on Calgary Trail North (now called Gateway Blvd in Edmonton. They
have since renamed the restaurant to Botanica (or something like that). Still
serve Dunn's smoked meat. I sorta like it, but not as much as some of the
others in Montreal. It's probably the best source I've found here in Edmonton.

>Also I was not familiar with 'half-fat'. I do know the term 'Medium'
>which likely the same thing.

Could be. I was introduced to SM by a friend from school in my early teens and
that's how he ordered it.

>I judge a deli very quickly - if they hand carve, they usually know
>from the best. The other guys use a mechanical slicer.
>
>Harry

Yeah. I remember watching the old guys in the various delis in Montreal carving
with a knife that had to be almost a yard long and working so fast you could
hardly follow it. They could carve it as thin as a playing card!

Brick

On 25-Mar-2005, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:00:55 -0500, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>
> >Dave Morrison wrote:

<snip>

> Brick, I was indeed referring to your steam-to-reheat comments. And
> whether one is making a Reuben or just a plain smoked meat/pastrami
> meat sandwich, a good deli takes a hunk of meat out of a warm steamy
> place, cuts off what is needed for the sandwich and replaces the hunk
> of meat. The really busy places don't even bother - they will go
> through a brisket fast enough that it stays out [warm] on the counter
> from the get go.
>
> I judge a deli very quickly - if they hand carve, they usually know
> from the best. The other guys use a mechanical slicer.
>
> Harry

It appears that I've never encountered a really good deli. All this time
I've been under the impression that the 'Hot Pastrami' that I had in
Wash D.C. was really good. In retrospect I do remember getting mine
on Rye bread. I humbly beg your pardon. I stand corrected.

BTW Rytek Kutas calls for wet curing skirt or well trimmed brisket,
followed by drying, smoking and finally cooking to internal of 175°.
I guess he doesn't pay attention to "Bon Appitit" or "Gourmet"
magazines. (The stated sources for Epicurious)
"Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas."

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

Dave Morrison

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Dave Morrison wrote:
>

>> No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
>> Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
>> behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where
>> real short ribs come from.

> From epicurious:
> pastrami
> [puh-STRAH-mee]
> A highly seasoned beef made from a cut of plate, BRISKET or ROUND. After
> the fat is trimmed, the meat's surface is rubbed with salt and a
> seasoning paste that can include garlic, ground peppercorns, cinnamon,
> red pepper, cloves, allspice and coriander seeds. The meat is dry-cured,
> smoked and cooked. Pastrami can be served hot or cold, usually as a
> sandwich on rye bread. It's widely available in chunks or presliced in
> most supermarkets
>
> From Websters:
>
> Main Entry: pas·tra·mi
> Variant(s): also pas·tromi /p&-'strä-mE/

> Function: noun

^^^^

> Etymology: Yiddish pastrame, from Romanian pastrama pressed and cured meat
> : a highly seasoned smoked beef prepared especially from shoulder cuts
>

> Pastrami is a method, not a cut.

Maybe make that pastramized

Things change, hams now come from turkeys, and hot dogs from chickens.
Specific cuts are used because their size and texture lend themselves
to it. I can tolerate a pastrami brisket, it's pretty close. But a
pastrami round is an abomination. It's done to satisfy today's fat free
lifestyle. As far as taste goes might as well use tofu.
BTW round does make a good peppered beef.
Dave

Dave Morrison

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Dave Morrison wrote:
>

>> No comment about Montreal, But real pastrami is not made from brisket!!!
>> Real pastrami is made with boneless beef plate. That's the piece right
>> behind the brisket. (towards rear of the steer). That's also where
>> real short ribs come from.

> From epicurious:
> pastrami
> [puh-STRAH-mee]
> A highly seasoned beef made from a cut of plate, BRISKET or ROUND. After
> the fat is trimmed, the meat's surface is rubbed with salt and a
> seasoning paste that can include garlic, ground peppercorns, cinnamon,
> red pepper, cloves, allspice and coriander seeds. The meat is dry-cured,
> smoked and cooked. Pastrami can be served hot or cold, usually as a
> sandwich on rye bread. It's widely available in chunks or presliced in
> most supermarkets
>
> From Websters:
>
> Main Entry: pas·tra·mi
> Variant(s): also pas·tromi /p&-'strä-mE/

> Function: noun

^^^^

> Etymology: Yiddish pastrame, from Romanian pastrama pressed and cured meat
> : a highly seasoned smoked beef prepared especially from shoulder cuts
>

> Pastrami is a method, not a cut.

Maybe make that pastramized

Things change, hams now come from turkeys, and hot dogs from chickens.
Specific cuts are used because their size and texture lend themselves
to it. I can tolerate a pastrami brisket, it's pretty close. But a
pastrami round is an abomination. It's done to satisfy today's fat free
lifestyle. As far as taste goes might as well use tofu.
BTW round does make a good peppered beef.
Dave

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:29:18 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 25-Mar-2005, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:00:55 -0500, Steve Calvin
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Dave Morrison wrote:
>> >

><snip>
>

>> Brick, I was indeed referring to your steam-to-reheat comments.

snip

>> I judge a deli very quickly - if they hand carve, they usually know
>> from the best. The other guys use a mechanical slicer.
>>
>> Harry

>It appears that I've never encountered a really good deli. All this time
>I've been under the impression that the 'Hot Pastrami' that I had in
>Wash D.C. was really good. In retrospect I do remember getting mine
>on Rye bread. I humbly beg your pardon. I stand corrected.
>
>BTW Rytek Kutas calls for wet curing skirt or well trimmed brisket,
>followed by drying, smoking and finally cooking to internal of 175°.
>I guess he doesn't pay attention to "Bon Appitit" or "Gourmet"
>magazines. (The stated sources for Epicurious)
>"Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas."

I've had his book for ever, Brick. The only book 'out there' written
by a butcher/sausage maker. The only mods that I make to his stuff is
to cut the salt in half.

Harry

>Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Harry Demidavicius

Steaming Sheng [email protected] Tea 0 23-01-2009 03:43 PM
Steaming Dim Sum Distorted Vision Asian Cooking 3 27-07-2008 06:28 AM
Steaming and steamers LurfysMa Vegetarian cooking 3 11-05-2007 12:27 AM
Steamers & steaming LurfysMa General Cooking 16 27-04-2007 03:39 PM
Steaming the Tea? teadrinker Tea 3 26-04-2005 02:30 AM