Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking,rec.food.veg,rec.food.cooking

Default Steaming and steamers

I want to buy a food steamer and I am wondering if the they are all
more or less the same and what features actually matter.

On Amazon and elsewhere I see products by Oster, Black & Decker,
Richard Simmons, Salton, Toastmaster, Deni (stainless steel), Rival,
and others.

It will mostly be used to cook veggies for two, so I was inclined to
get a smaller unit. But I guess the larger ones can easily cook
smaller amounts, right?

On the other hand, I was going to buy a steam cooking cookbook and
maybe I would get into more than veggies.

So, any suggestions for cookbooks?

--
[ moderator note (no valid return address, so...):
1- set Followup-To: rec.food.veg.cooking
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

>I want to buy a food steamer and I am wondering if the they are all
>more or less the same and what features actually matter.

In my opinion, a single purpose device is a waste of mony and kitchen
space. Just get a steamer insert for one of your pots.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Apr 26, 4:33 am, LurfysMa > wrote:
> I want to buy a food steamer and I am wondering if the they are all
> more or less the same and what features actually matter.

I avoid most single purpose appliances, but it just depends what you
use. My steamer is the only appliance besides the toaster oven than
lives on the counter and I use it alot for veggies, rice, and other
things. I used to steam things in a pot but this is easier and
encourages me to steam alot more. I used to have a small round one
and later got a larger oval one because I often wanted something
bigger even though usually only for 1-2 people. It's nice if whole
corn on the cob or asparagus can fit, to spread out a layer of
dumplings, or when cooking more for guests.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Apr 26, 11:44 pm, Abe > wrote:
> >I want to buy a food steamer and I am wondering if the they are all
> >more or less the same and what features actually matter.

> In my opinion, a single purpose device is a waste of mony and kitchen
> space. Just get a steamer insert for one of your pots.

Hi

We recently bought a stainless steel tiered steamer from the Marks &
Spencer basic range for £9.50 and it is great! There are 3 tiers, so
you can fit loads in and it is really easy to clean. Very
environmentally friendly as you use one gas ring instead of three.

Hope that helps!