Brian Worthey

Default How Long in Freezer

Hey, guys and gals. Got a couple of questions for y'all. First of all I've
found a great local grocery store that has a great meat department. They
actually have butchers in the back! They've got great prices and great
looking steaks, ribs, and butts (.99/lb). I am planning on buying several
butts to freeze and was wondering how long they'd be okay before going bad
or potentially going bad.

B-Worthey

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:40:50 -0600, "Brian Worthey"
> wrote:

>Hey, guys and gals. Got a couple of questions for y'all. First of all I've
>found a great local grocery store that has a great meat department. They
>actually have butchers in the back! They've got great prices and great
>looking steaks, ribs, and butts (.99/lb). I am planning on buying several
>butts to freeze and was wondering how long they'd be okay before going bad
>or potentially going bad.

The short answer is six months, according to the Hormel Knowledge
Base. The long answer is he

<http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=31&id=159>

Brian Worthey

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
: : The short answer is six months, according to the Hormel Knowledge
: Base. The long answer is he
:
:
<http://www.hormel.com/templates/know...emid=31&id=159

:

Thanks for the long and the short of it.

B-Worthey

George Shirley

Brian Worthey wrote:
> Hey, guys and gals. Got a couple of questions for y'all. First of all I've
> found a great local grocery store that has a great meat department. They
> actually have butchers in the back! They've got great prices and great
> looking steaks, ribs, and butts (.99/lb). I am planning on buying several
> butts to freeze and was wondering how long they'd be okay before going bad
> or potentially going bad.
>
> B-Worthey

Couple of years if you vacuum bag and seal them. I've done beef, pork,
fish, and chicken that way with great success. Vacuum sealers don't cost
as much as a decent grill and much less than a smoker.

George

George Shirley

Brian Worthey wrote:
> Hey, guys and gals. Got a couple of questions for y'all. First of all I've
> found a great local grocery store that has a great meat department. They
> actually have butchers in the back! They've got great prices and great
> looking steaks, ribs, and butts (.99/lb). I am planning on buying several
> butts to freeze and was wondering how long they'd be okay before going bad
> or potentially going bad.
>
> B-Worthey

Couple of years if you vacuum bag and seal them. I've done beef, pork,
fish, and chicken that way with great success. Vacuum sealers don't cost
as much as a decent grill and much less than a smoker.

George

Stan (the Man)

Brian Worthey wrote:
> Hey, guys and gals. Got a couple of questions for y'all. First of all I've
> found a great local grocery store that has a great meat department. They
> actually have butchers in the back! They've got great prices and great
> looking steaks, ribs, and butts (.99/lb). I am planning on buying several
> butts to freeze and was wondering how long they'd be okay before going bad
> or potentially going bad.
>
> B-Worthey

If you think you'll be buying in bulk on a regular basis, it might be a
good idea to pick up a vacuum sealer for the purpose. Many of the folks
here have one, including me, and love it. The most popular seems to be
the Tilia <http://www.tilia.com>. There are others, but I'm not familiar
with them. The web site has a chart that lists the freezer life of
various foods, which is considerably longer than foods merely wrapped in
freezer paper or zip-lock bags.

HTH

--
Stan
Brian Worthey

"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message

: If you think you'll be buying in bulk on a regular basis, it might be a
: good idea to pick up a vacuum sealer for the purpose. Many of the folks
: here have one, including me, and love it. The most popular seems to be
: the Tilia <http://www.tilia.com>. There are others, but I'm not familiar
: with them. The web site has a chart that lists the freezer life of
: various foods, which is considerably longer than foods merely wrapped in
: freezer paper or zip-lock bags.
:
: HTH

Yeah, that is going to be one of my next purchases. I saw one that was
relatively cheap I though (price wise), don't know anything about the
quality. I think it was a Black & Decker or some other common name like
that. It was at Wal-mart. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

B-Worthey

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:40:16 -0600, "Brian Worthey"
> wrote:

>"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
>
>: If you think you'll be buying in bulk on a regular basis, it might be a
>: good idea to pick up a vacuum sealer for the purpose. Many of the folks
>: here have one, including me, and love it. The most popular seems to be
>: the Tilia <http://www.tilia.com>. There are others, but I'm not familiar
>: with them. The web site has a chart that lists the freezer life of
>: various foods, which is considerably longer than foods merely wrapped in
>: freezer paper or zip-lock bags.
>:
>: HTH
>
>Yeah, that is going to be one of my next purchases. I saw one that was
>relatively cheap I though (price wise), don't know anything about the
>quality. I think it was a Black & Decker or some other common name like
>that. It was at Wal-mart. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

The expense isn't in the initial purchase; it's in the bags. Google
AFB for "Sinbo" for an alternative to the B&D and the Tilia.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:40:16 -0600, "Brian Worthey"
> wrote:

>"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
>
>: If you think you'll be buying in bulk on a regular basis, it might be a
>: good idea to pick up a vacuum sealer for the purpose. Many of the folks
>: here have one, including me, and love it. The most popular seems to be
>: the Tilia <http://www.tilia.com>. There are others, but I'm not familiar
>: with them. The web site has a chart that lists the freezer life of
>: various foods, which is considerably longer than foods merely wrapped in
>: freezer paper or zip-lock bags.
>:
>: HTH
>
>Yeah, that is going to be one of my next purchases. I saw one that was
>relatively cheap I though (price wise), don't know anything about the
>quality. I think it was a Black & Decker or some other common name like
>that. It was at Wal-mart. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

The expense isn't in the initial purchase; it's in the bags. Google
AFB for "Sinbo" for an alternative to the B&D and the Tilia.

George Shirley

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:40:16 -0600, "Brian Worthey"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
>>
>>: If you think you'll be buying in bulk on a regular basis, it might be a
>>: good idea to pick up a vacuum sealer for the purpose. Many of the folks
>>: here have one, including me, and love it. The most popular seems to be
>>: the Tilia <http://www.tilia.com>. There are others, but I'm not familiar
>>: with them. The web site has a chart that lists the freezer life of
>>: various foods, which is considerably longer than foods merely wrapped in
>>: freezer paper or zip-lock bags.
>>:
>>: HTH
>>
>>Yeah, that is going to be one of my next purchases. I saw one that was
>>relatively cheap I though (price wise), don't know anything about the
>>quality. I think it was a Black & Decker or some other common name like
>>that. It was at Wal-mart. Anyway, thanks for the tips.
>>

> The expense isn't in the initial purchase; it's in the bags. Google
> AFB for "Sinbo" for an alternative to the B&D and the Tilia.

Bags are reusable, turn inside out and hang in the dishwasher with
clothes pins or wash by hand. I've used big, long bags for whole
sirloins then reused them enough times that they will only hold one
weiner. <VBG>

I've had my Tilia Compact II for over ten years and have only bought two
more rolls of bags, one of the narrow and one of the wide, still have
most of them. Putting up a bunch of meat from the "used meat" bin today,
stuff at expiration date and price cut in half. Get it much cheaper that
way and it's usually the nice cuts of steak, roasts, lamb, etc.

George

George Shirley

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:40:16 -0600, "Brian Worthey"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
>>
>>: If you think you'll be buying in bulk on a regular basis, it might be a
>>: good idea to pick up a vacuum sealer for the purpose. Many of the folks
>>: here have one, including me, and love it. The most popular seems to be
>>: the Tilia <http://www.tilia.com>. There are others, but I'm not familiar
>>: with them. The web site has a chart that lists the freezer life of
>>: various foods, which is considerably longer than foods merely wrapped in
>>: freezer paper or zip-lock bags.
>>:
>>: HTH
>>
>>Yeah, that is going to be one of my next purchases. I saw one that was
>>relatively cheap I though (price wise), don't know anything about the
>>quality. I think it was a Black & Decker or some other common name like
>>that. It was at Wal-mart. Anyway, thanks for the tips.
>>

> The expense isn't in the initial purchase; it's in the bags. Google
> AFB for "Sinbo" for an alternative to the B&D and the Tilia.

Bags are reusable, turn inside out and hang in the dishwasher with
clothes pins or wash by hand. I've used big, long bags for whole
sirloins then reused them enough times that they will only hold one
weiner. <VBG>

I've had my Tilia Compact II for over ten years and have only bought two
more rolls of bags, one of the narrow and one of the wide, still have
most of them. Putting up a bunch of meat from the "used meat" bin today,
stuff at expiration date and price cut in half. Get it much cheaper that
way and it's usually the nice cuts of steak, roasts, lamb, etc.

George

BOB

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Worthey wrote:
>> Hey, guys and gals. Got a couple of questions for
>> y'all. First of all I've found a great local grocery
>> store that has a great meat department. They actually
>> have butchers in the back! They've got great prices and
>> great looking steaks, ribs, and butts (.99/lb). I am
>> planning on buying several butts to freeze and was
>> wondering how long they'd be okay before going bad or
>> potentially going bad. B-Worthey
>>

> Couple of years if you vacuum bag and seal them. I've
> done beef, pork, fish, and chicken that way with great
> success. Vacuum sealers don't cost as much as a decent
> grill and much less than a smoker.
> George

Welcome, George. You "slumming" over here in the BBQ group now days?

BOB
a long time lurker over in rec.food.preserving

BOB

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Worthey wrote:
>> Hey, guys and gals. Got a couple of questions for
>> y'all. First of all I've found a great local grocery
>> store that has a great meat department. They actually
>> have butchers in the back! They've got great prices and
>> great looking steaks, ribs, and butts (.99/lb). I am
>> planning on buying several butts to freeze and was
>> wondering how long they'd be okay before going bad or
>> potentially going bad. B-Worthey
>>

> Couple of years if you vacuum bag and seal them. I've
> done beef, pork, fish, and chicken that way with great
> success. Vacuum sealers don't cost as much as a decent
> grill and much less than a smoker.
> George

Welcome, George. You "slumming" over here in the BBQ group now days?

BOB
a long time lurker over in rec.food.preserving

George Shirley

BOB wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>>Brian Worthey wrote:
>>
>>>Hey, guys and gals. Got a couple of questions for
>>>y'all. First of all I've found a great local grocery
>>>store that has a great meat department. They actually
>>>have butchers in the back! They've got great prices and
>>>great looking steaks, ribs, and butts (.99/lb). I am
>>>planning on buying several butts to freeze and was
>>>wondering how long they'd be okay before going bad or
>>>potentially going bad. B-Worthey
>>>

>>Couple of years if you vacuum bag and seal them. I've
>>done beef, pork, fish, and chicken that way with great
>>success. Vacuum sealers don't cost as much as a decent
>>grill and much less than a smoker.
>>George

> Welcome, George. You "slumming" over here in the BBQ group now days?
>
> BOB
> a long time lurker over in rec.food.preserving

More or less, trying to make up my mind about a smoker and thought I
would read what the experts had to say.

George

BOB

George Shirley wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

to freeze and was

>>> Couple of years if you vacuum bag and seal them. I've
>>> done beef, pork, fish, and chicken that way with great
>>> success. Vacuum sealers don't cost as much as a decent
>>> grill and much less than a smoker.
>>> George

>> Welcome, George. You "slumming" over here in the BBQ
>> group now days? BOB
>> a long time lurker over in rec.food.preserving
>>

> More or less, trying to make up my mind about a smoker
> and thought I would read what the experts had to say.
>
> George

You'll get plenty of advice from a Weber Smokey Mountain, to off-sets, to
Ceramics and everything in between. I'll try to steer you towards a
Kamado www.kamado.com since I decided that was what I wanted a few years
ago and haven't changed my mind. You can smoke, grill, high temperature
sear, bake pizza, bread and anything else that can be done in an oven.
But don't let me twist your arm.

Do you have any specific needs?

Have you seen this website:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Have fun and don't be shy about asking.

BOB

George Shirley

BOB wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>>BOB wrote:
>>
>>>George Shirley wrote:
>>>

> to freeze and was

>>>Welcome, George. You "slumming" over here in the BBQ
>>>group now days? BOB
>>>a long time lurker over in rec.food.preserving
>>>

>>More or less, trying to make up my mind about a smoker
>>and thought I would read what the experts had to say.
>>
>>George

> You'll get plenty of advice from a Weber Smokey Mountain, to off-sets, to
> Ceramics and everything in between. I'll try to steer you towards a
> Kamado www.kamado.com since I decided that was what I wanted a few years
> ago and haven't changed my mind. You can smoke, grill, high temperature
> sear, bake pizza, bread and anything else that can be done in an oven.
> But don't let me twist your arm.
>
> Do you have any specific needs?
>
> Have you seen this website:
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> Have fun and don't be shy about asking.
>
> BOB

My Gawd! That thing looks like a call girls drawers - fancy. I'm in awe.

George

George Shirley