Cam

Default Refrigerating raw pork

Price Choppers here in Toronto has whole pork shoulders on sale for
CDN$ 2.20/ kilo. That's a buck a pound! I bought a 17 pounder yesterday
to Q next Sunday. Do I need to freeze it? Or if I keep the fridge at 3
celsius (38f)will the meat still be good after a week? SWAMBO made me
promise I'd ask you guys.

Cam

Kevin S. Wilson

On 21 Feb 2005 07:53:47 -0800, "Cam" > wrote:

>Price Choppers here in Toronto has whole pork shoulders on sale for
>CDN$ 2.20/ kilo. That's a buck a pound! I bought a 17 pounder yesterday
>to Q next Sunday. Do I need to freeze it? Or if I keep the fridge at 3
>celsius (38f)will the meat still be good after a week?

How is it packaged? If it's in cryovac, then don't worry about it.
It'll be fine.

What's the sell-by date on it? I expect the supermarket expected to
have it around for a while.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Cam

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2005 07:53:47 -0800, "Cam" > wrote:
>
> >Price Choppers here in Toronto has whole pork shoulders on sale for
> >CDN$ 2.20/ kilo. That's a buck a pound! I bought a 17 pounder

yesterday
> >to Q next Sunday. Do I need to freeze it? Or if I keep the fridge at

3
> >celsius (38f)will the meat still be good after a week?

> How is it packaged? If it's in cryovac, then don't worry about it.
> It'll be fine.
> What's the sell-by date on it? I expect the supermarket expected to
> have it around for a while.

It isn't in cryovac and the sell-by date is the 25th. I'll chance it in
the fridge rather than freeze it. It's too big to bother with freezing
and thawing just to get a couple extra days. I am tempted, though, to
get a couple extra for the freezer.

Cam

Bigbazza

"Cam" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On 21 Feb 2005 07:53:47 -0800, "Cam" > wrote:
>>
>> >Price Choppers here in Toronto has whole pork shoulders on sale for
>> >CDN$ 2.20/ kilo. That's a buck a pound! I bought a 17 pounder

> yesterday
>> >to Q next Sunday. Do I need to freeze it? Or if I keep the fridge at

> 3
>> >celsius (38f)will the meat still be good after a week?

>> How is it packaged? If it's in cryovac, then don't worry about it.
>> It'll be fine.
>> What's the sell-by date on it? I expect the supermarket expected to
>> have it around for a while.

> It isn't in cryovac and the sell-by date is the 25th. I'll chance it in
> the fridge rather than freeze it. It's too big to bother with freezing
> and thawing just to get a couple extra days. I am tempted, though, to
> get a couple extra for the freezer.
>
> Cam

Why not 'Partially' freeze it..It probably would take quite a while to
freeze completely in a home freezer...Wouldn't it ?..

--
Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

Bigbazza

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> "Cam" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

>> yesterday

>> 3
>>>
>>> How is it packaged? If it's in cryovac, then don't worry about it.
>>> It'll be fine.
>>> What's the sell-by date on it? I expect the supermarket expected to
>>> have it around for a while.

>> It isn't in cryovac and the sell-by date is the 25th. I'll chance it in
>> the fridge rather than freeze it. It's too big to bother with freezing
>> and thawing just to get a couple extra days. I am tempted, though, to
>> get a couple extra for the freezer.
>>
>> Cam
>>

> Why not 'Partially' freeze it..It probably would take quite a while to
> freeze completely in a home freezer...Wouldn't it ?..
>
> --
> Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

Hmm..I just noticed that it is 4 day's since you posted your post !...But
maybe for future ones though...

--
Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

Cam

Bigbazza wrote:
> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Cam" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

for
> >> yesterday

fridge at
> >> 3

it.

> >> It isn't in cryovac and the sell-by date is the 25th. I'll chance

it in
> >> the fridge rather than freeze it. It's too big to bother with

freezing
> >> and thawing just to get a couple extra days. I am tempted, though,

> >> get a couple extra for the freezer.
> >>
> >> Cam
> >>

> > Why not 'Partially' freeze it..It probably would take quite a while

> > freeze completely in a home freezer...Wouldn't it ?..
> >
> > --
> > Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz
> >

> Hmm..I just noticed that it is 4 day's since you posted your post

!...But
> maybe for future ones though...
>
> --
> Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

I left it in the back of the fridge. Friday night I reached in to get a
beer and was nearly knocked out by the stink. The meat had turned green
despite an internal temp of 38f. I bought a couple of small picnics to
replace it and cooked them yesterday. I love my WSM.

Cam