Dave Ammerman

Default Smoking Chicken breast

Do you need to use a rub when smoking chicken breast?

Cam

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:47:35 -0500, "Dave Ammerman"
> wroat:

>Do you need to use a rub when smoking chicken breast?

I don't think you ever need to use a rub on anything. A rub doesn't do
anything but add flavour. Without a rub your chicken will taste like
smoke and err ummm chicken.

Cam
Dave Ammerman

>>Do you need to use a rub when smoking chicken breast?
>>

> I don't think you ever need to use a rub on anything. A rub doesn't do
> anything but add flavour. Without a rub your chicken will taste like
> smoke and err ummm chicken.
>
> Cam

Well I am going to use part of it for BBQ and the other half for Buffalo
chicken so I think I will skip the rub .

BOB

Dave Ammerman wrote:
> Do you need to use a rub when smoking chicken breast?

You don't need to. The rub adds some flavor to the skin and less to the
meat.

BOB

Piedmont

Dave Ammerman wrote:
> Do you need to use a rub when smoking chicken breast?

YOU REALLY, REALLY EALLY, NEED TO BRINE CHICKEN BREAST!!!!! Yes, I'm
yelling! (grin) I want to get your attention. Just a standard, simple
brine at least. This will give you a supremely tender and still juicy
breast. Breast is quick to dry out if you over cook it, allow the
internal temperature to get too hot.

Ok, Some of you are going to say bull hockey. Well you are somewhat
right, you don't absolutly have to brine but you should then at least
have a temperature probe and get the breasts out as soon as it hits 165,
wrap it in foil and newspaper, then let it for 1 hour then serve.

I don't know that the right term of "rub" is appropriate for a chicken
breast, basically you'll lightly sprinkle on some seasoning. When I hear
the term rub" I generallty think of a pork butt or shoulder or a beef
brisket where you are literally rubbibg the seasoning into the meat.
Which is kind of harse treatment for a little chiken breast But then
that's just my opinion.

One last thing, don't go Lo n Slo on a chicken breast, it will be tough.
Go about 325 degrees F and take off as soon as the internal temp gets to
165F. You can have a dense white smoke for something that is going to
cook this quickly, such as within one hours time.

Feel the smoke, smell the smoke, be the smoke!

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

Jev Vandegrift

Piedmont wrote:

SNIP

> I don't know that the right term of "rub" is appropriate for a chicken
> breast, basically you'll lightly sprinkle on some seasoning. When I hear
> the term rub" I generallty think of a pork butt or shoulder or a beef
> brisket where you are literally rubbibg the seasoning into the meat.
> Which is kind of harse treatment for a little chiken breast But then
> that's just my opinion.

Well sell Smoked Chicken every sunday at our restaurant. We do "rub"
the chickens although not too much rubbing involved. We take the same
rub we use for all the rest of our meats, mix it with water 3/4 per
pound of rub, and then dip the chickens in it. Pull the chicken out and
wipe off the excess. They stay in the cooler for about 18 hours before
cooking. These are chicken 1/2's skin on mind you.

> One last thing, don't go Lo n Slo on a chicken breast, it will be tough.
> Go about 325 degrees F and take off as soon as the internal temp gets to
> 165F. You can have a dense white smoke for something that is going to
> cook this quickly, such as within one hours time.
>
> Feel the smoke, smell the smoke, be the smoke!

We then smoke them at 225-250 for about 2-2 1/2 hours. As Piedmont
said, the most important part is pull them soon as they reach 165. So
many people over cook chicken breasts and thats why white meat can be so
dry so many places.

Additionally, I've tried smoking boneless/skinless chicken breasts
before. It sure didn't take long. We marinated/rubed them same as
above instructions, but I think we may have over cooked them by 10 or 15
degrees. They were good, but not great. Kinda dry. I by far prefer my
chicken boneless/skinless breasts cooked on good ole grill(gas or charcoal).

Jev
Dave Ammerman

I think I will just grill these from now on, thanks for all of the replies.
"Jev Vandegrift" > wrote in message
. com...
> Piedmont wrote:
>
> SNIP
>
>> I don't know that the right term of "rub" is appropriate for a chicken
>> breast, basically you'll lightly sprinkle on some seasoning. When I hear
>> the term rub" I generallty think of a pork butt or shoulder or a beef
>> brisket where you are literally rubbibg the seasoning into the meat.
>> Which is kind of harse treatment for a little chiken breast But then
>> that's just my opinion.

> Well sell Smoked Chicken every sunday at our restaurant. We do "rub" the
> chickens although not too much rubbing involved. We take the same rub we
> use for all the rest of our meats, mix it with water 3/4 per pound of rub,
> and then dip the chickens in it. Pull the chicken out and wipe off the
> excess. They stay in the cooler for about 18 hours before cooking. These
> are chicken 1/2's skin on mind you.
>

>> One last thing, don't go Lo n Slo on a chicken breast, it will be tough.
>> Go about 325 degrees F and take off as soon as the internal temp gets to
>> 165F. You can have a dense white smoke for something that is going to
>> cook this quickly, such as within one hours time.
>>
>> Feel the smoke, smell the smoke, be the smoke!
>>

> We then smoke them at 225-250 for about 2-2 1/2 hours. As Piedmont said,
> the most important part is pull them soon as they reach 165. So many
> people over cook chicken breasts and thats why white meat can be so dry so
> many places.
>

> Additionally, I've tried smoking boneless/skinless chicken breasts before.
> It sure didn't take long. We marinated/rubed them same as above
> instructions, but I think we may have over cooked them by 10 or 15
> degrees. They were good, but not great. Kinda dry. I by far prefer my
> chicken boneless/skinless breasts cooked on good ole grill(gas or
> charcoal).
>
> Jev

Smoking lamb breast anyone? Sqwertz Barbecue 3 16-04-2008 06:03 AM
Chicken Breast Mikayla Atkins Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2007 09:46 PM
Help with dry chicken breast kilikini General Cooking 129 15-06-2007 07:59 PM
chicken breast James General Cooking 36 25-02-2006 02:40 PM
Smoking a turkey breast - timing question Peter Aitken Barbecue 1 02-05-2004 05:59 PM