Brian Worthey

Default Curing/Seasoning New Smoker

I got a new smoker for Christmas, an offset by Chargriller, and I will be
curing it first thing in the morning. I noticed in the instructions about
rubbing down all surfaces with vegetable oil and building a fire, but also
noticed that somewhere it mentioned that it had already been rubbed with a
"specially approved" vegetable oil to cure/season it. The cooking grates
and inside of the smoker was just sticky though and I am wondering if I just
need to let this burn off first then rub it down with some vegetable oil, or
just go ahead rub it down with a bit more oil and build me a fire. Any
advice here?

B-Worthey

George B. Ross

Brian Worthey ) opined:

> I got a new smoker for Christmas, an offset by Chargriller,
> and I will be curing it first thing in the morning. I
> noticed in the instructions about rubbing down all surfaces
> with vegetable oil and building a fire, but also noticed
> that somewhere it mentioned that it had already been rubbed
> with a "specially approved" vegetable oil to cure/season
> it. The cooking grates and inside of the smoker was just
> sticky though and I am wondering if I just need to let this
> burn off first then rub it down with some vegetable oil, or
> just go ahead rub it down with a bit more oil and build me
> a fire. Any advice here?

I believe my Char-Griller grates were covered in wax that had
to be scrubbed off before seasoning. I washed them with hot
soapy water scrubbed with steel wool and then rubbed them with
crisco or bacon grease before putting them in the kitchen oven
at 400F(?) for an hour or two.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bits for email
Duwop

"George B. Ross" > wrote in message
> Brian Worthey ) opined:

> > burn off first then rub it down with some vegetable oil, or
> > just go ahead rub it down with a bit more oil and build me
> > a fire. Any advice here?
> >

> I believe my Char-Griller grates were covered in wax that had
> to be scrubbed off before seasoning. I washed them with hot
> soapy water scrubbed with steel wool and then rubbed them with
> crisco or bacon grease before putting them in the kitchen oven
> at 400F(?) for an hour or two.

And dont get to bummed when paint starts peeling off the side burner first
thing. You could invest in some black hi heat spray pain beforehand. In fact
if I were doin it again that's exactly what I'd do, cuz you know how fast
rust starts. And I double guarantee you that your gonna have paint
blistering off, so go ahead and get that paint beforehand.

Brick

On 27-Dec-2004, "Brian Worthey" > wrote:

> I got a new smoker for Christmas, an offset by Chargriller, and I will be
> curing it first thing in the morning. I noticed in the instructions about
> rubbing down all surfaces with vegetable oil and building a fire, but also
> noticed that somewhere it mentioned that it had already been rubbed with a
> "specially approved" vegetable oil to cure/season it. The cooking grates
> and inside of the smoker was just sticky though and I am wondering if I
> just
> need to let this burn off first then rub it down with some vegetable oil,
> or
> just go ahead rub it down with a bit more oil and build me a fire. Any
> advice here?
>
> B-Worthey

Get that sucker good and hot before you put any food in it. I built a fire
right in the cook chamber of my New Braunfels when it was new. I think
I only had briquettes at the time, but it got the job done very nicely. When
you get ready to cook and build your fire in the firebox, it will burn clean

long before the cook chamber gets up to temp and stabilizes. It only takes
a few minutes in a small area like the firebox.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Brian Worthey wrote:
> I got a new smoker for Christmas, an offset by Chargriller, and I

will be
> curing it first thing in the morning. I noticed in the instructions

about
> rubbing down all surfaces with vegetable oil and building a fire, but

also
> noticed that somewhere it mentioned that it had already been rubbed

with a
> "specially approved" vegetable oil to cure/season it. The cooking

grates
> and inside of the smoker was just sticky though and I am wondering if

I just
> need to let this burn off first then rub it down with some vegetable

oil, or
> just go ahead rub it down with a bit more oil and build me a fire.

Any
> advice here?
>
> B-Worthey

B-

I did just like the FAQ said to do for my NB. Klose stated something to
the effect of coat the inside firebox and all with peanut oil. Then
burn a moderate fire with some smoke going for an hour or so.

Rob