Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default seasoning a new smoker

I have a new/old Texas-built Black Diamond which I picked up, er, rescued
a few weeks ago. I have so far made a beefy firewood grate which sits
higher up in the firebox (high enough so a 9x13" aluminum ash pan can
slide beneath it) and a 6x6x12" charcoal basket. I also removed the
original stack, keeping it, and rolled and punched a sheet steel blank
and bolted it in its place, thus plugging the hole. I made a new stack
which mounts on the end below center and goes up 32" with a proper
spring-loaded rain cap/baffle. I scrubbed out the inside of the cooking
box somewhat but there is no sign whatever of it ever having been
seasoned. The metal is dry and slightly rusty.

I don't have an owner's manual for this smoker. Nor have I ever owned a
smoker before. What is the correct procedure to season the inside of
the smoker body? (I'll get to the cooking grids later after I fabricate
them).

Thanks,

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

PS for you NWers, the Super Wal-Mart at Tulalip has packer cut briskets,
but Cash 'N Carry doesn't. C'N'C does have boneless pork butts at $1.09
per pound, which seems like a reasonable sum to me.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message

> I don't have an owner's manual for this smoker. Nor have I ever owned a
> smoker before. What is the correct procedure to season the inside of
> the smoker body? (I'll get to the cooking grids later after I fabricate
> them).

Just run it for a half hour at a reasonably hot temperature to burn off
anything that should not be there.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin > wrote in news:jyouj.10524$FK2.6290
@trndny08:

> I don't have an owner's manual for this smoker. Nor have I ever owned a
> smoker before. What is the correct procedure to season the inside of
> the smoker body? (I'll get to the cooking grids later after I fabricate
> them).

Its not a cast iron pot - your food shouldn't be touching the sides, so
there's really no "seasoning" to be done. Just burn it off with one very
hot fire to burn any ligering crud off the inside, and let time and use
take care of the rest.

--
Ask Me Why I support Stem Cell Research
http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/faqs.asp

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 19, 7:55 am, Barry Bean > wrote:

> Its not a cast iron pot - your food shouldn't be touching the sides, so
> there's really no "seasoning" to be done. Just burn it off with one very
> hot fire to burn any ligering crud off the inside, and let time and use
> take care of the rest.

Good advice. I have found one more step to be helpful, though. When
I have the rare occasion of a >>new<< piece smoking equipment, I spray
the inside with cooking oil. This will turn black after an hour or
so,
and form a seal on the metal. Let it the fire burn out. It gives a
small amount of protection until you can get started. Time and use
(as Barry said) will take care of the rest.

If it is a used smoker I power wash them out, burn a good hot fire in
it for a couple of hours, then let them burn out. Then I do as above.

A new smoker is a cinch. But if you have a used smoker, clean it
well. Nothing like starting a fire and smelling oils left behind by
fish cooked right on a cast iron grate.

Nasty.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Default More on meat (was: seasoning a new smoker)

Grant Erwin wrote:
> PS for you NWers, the Super Wal-Mart at Tulalip has packer cut
> briskets, but Cash 'N Carry doesn't. C'N'C does have boneless pork
> butts at $1.09 per pound, which seems like a reasonable sum to me.

what are the Super Wal-Mart prices per lb. for brisket?

I found Silvana Meats, which is quite a bit closer to me, has un-trimmed
brisked for $2.29/lb.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Barry Bean
says...

>Its not a cast iron pot - your food shouldn't be touching the sides, so
>there's really no "seasoning" to be done. Just burn it off with one very
>hot fire to burn any ligering crud off the inside, and let time and use
>take care of the rest.

I use my GrillDome Ceramic mostly to smoke butts, shoulders, and brisket. I can
use it to grill--but hardly ever do so.

Last week, I decided to grill some steaks and needed to get a lot more fire
going. As the wood was burning down, the grease on the sides of the smoker burnt
off.

The flames were raging for a while burning off everything. I guess that means
that I'm getting a lot of use out of it. <vbg>

Mark

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default More on meat

vex wrote:

> Grant Erwin wrote:
>
>>PS for you NWers, the Super Wal-Mart at Tulalip has packer cut
>>briskets, but Cash 'N Carry doesn't. C'N'C does have boneless pork
>>butts at $1.09 per pound, which seems like a reasonable sum to me.

> what are the Super Wal-Mart prices per lb. for brisket?
>
> I found Silvana Meats, which is quite a bit closer to me, has un-trimmed
> brisket for $2.29/lb.

I didn't write down the WM price for packer cut brisket, sorry. It's your
turn to drive to Tulalip and do research now! :-)

Grant
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> vex wrote:
>
>> Grant Erwin wrote:
>>
>>> PS for you NWers, the Super Wal-Mart at Tulalip has packer cut
>>> briskets, but Cash 'N Carry doesn't. C'N'C does have boneless pork
>>> butts at $1.09 per pound, which seems like a reasonable sum to me.

>> what are the Super Wal-Mart prices per lb. for brisket?
>>
>> I found Silvana Meats, which is quite a bit closer to me, has
>> un-trimmed brisket for $2.29/lb.

> I didn't write down the WM price for packer cut brisket, sorry. It's
> your turn to drive to Tulalip and do research now! :-)

Tulalip Wal-mart phone number: (360) 657-1192

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Barry Bean wrote:
> Grant Erwin > wrote in news:jyouj.10524$FK2.6290
> @trndny08:
>

>>I don't have an owner's manual for this smoker. Nor have I ever owned a
>>smoker before. What is the correct procedure to season the inside of
>>the smoker body? (I'll get to the cooking grids later after I fabricate
>>them).

> Its not a cast iron pot - your food shouldn't be touching the sides, so
> there's really no "seasoning" to be done. Just burn it off with one very
> hot fire to burn any ligering crud off the inside, and let time and use
> take care of the rest.

By coincidence today we were laughing about the episode of Married With
Children where Al's BBQ grill ended up being seasoned with the
neighbor's aunt's cremated remains. Now that's comedy a BBQer can
appreciate ;-)

jOhN
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> Grant Erwin wrote:
>> PS for you NWers, the Super Wal-Mart at Tulalip has packer cut
>> briskets, but Cash 'N Carry doesn't. C'N'C does have boneless pork
>> butts at $1.09 per pound, which seems like a reasonable sum to me.

> what are the Super Wal-Mart prices per lb. for brisket?
>
> I found Silvana Meats, which is quite a bit closer to me, has un-trimmed
> brisked for $2.29/lb.
>

> --Brett

I'd make the drive down for a choice brisket, do they have them?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brian wrote:
> vex wrote:
>
>> Grant Erwin wrote:
>>
>>> PS for you NWers, the Super Wal-Mart at Tulalip has packer cut
>>> briskets, but Cash 'N Carry doesn't. C'N'C does have boneless pork
>>> butts at $1.09 per pound, which seems like a reasonable sum to me.

>> what are the Super Wal-Mart prices per lb. for brisket?
>>
>> I found Silvana Meats, which is quite a bit closer to me, has
>> un-trimmed brisked for $2.29/lb.
>>

>> --Brett
>>

> I'd make the drive down for a choice brisket, do they have them?

Silvana Meats: (360) 652-7188
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>> vex wrote:

>>> what are the Super Wal-Mart prices per lb. for brisket?
>>>
>>> I found Silvana Meats, which is quite a bit closer to me, has
>>> un-trimmed brisked for $2.29/lb.
>>>

>>> --Brett
>>>

>> I'd make the drive down for a choice brisket, do they have them?

> Silvana Meats: (360) 652-7188

Thanks, I'll be giving them a call.

Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue