Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

Default New version BBQ sauce. Monongahela River valley Style

My old recipe used V8 juice so I made up a new recipe using standard
ingredients.

Here it is.

This all started around 1980 when my brother brought home some sauce
from the river.
I decided I would try to copy it so we could enjoy it anytime.
As far as I know, this style has been around for at least 50 years.
Its stood the test of time. Its a Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania thing up the
Monongahela river..

The following formula is my latest version using standard ingredients,
instead of V8.
48 oz. canned tomatoes in water.
1 can 15 oz whole beets
4 celery stalks
2 carrots
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teas. ground cloves
3 teas. marjoram
1 1/2 teas. Oregano
1/3 teas. Celery seed.
3 to 4 teas. sea salt.
1 1/2 tbls. black pepper
1 lemon, zest taken off then squeezed without seeds.

I used a juicer to pulverize veggies and used all the pulp.
Some garlic can be added as needed. I can use some garlic powder, but
not garlic salt.

Lightly boil about 1 hour to reduce, or as necessary.
I still use a large enamled pot.

Makes about two quarts.

greg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Apr 4, 8:24*pm, Gz > wrote:
> My old recipe used V8 juice so I made up a new recipe using standard
> ingredients.
>
> Here it is.
>
> This all started around 1980 when my brother brought home some sauce
> from the river.
> I decided I would try to copy it so we could enjoy it anytime.
> As far as I know, this style has been around for at least 50 years.
> Its stood the test of time. Its a Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania thing up the
> Monongahela river..
>
> The following formula is my latest version using standard ingredients,
> instead of V8.
> 48 oz. canned tomatoes in water.
> 1 can 15 oz whole beets
> 4 celery stalks
> 2 carrots
> 1 cup apple cider vinegar
> 1/2 teas. ground cloves
> 3 teas. marjoram
> 1 1/2 teas. Oregano
> 1/3 teas. Celery seed.
> 3 to 4 teas. sea salt.
> 1 1/2 tbls. black pepper
> 1 lemon, zest taken off then squeezed without seeds.
>
> I used a juicer to pulverize veggies and used all the pulp.
> Some garlic can be added as needed. I can use some garlic powder, but
> not garlic salt.
>
> Lightly boil about 1 hour to reduce, or as necessary.
> I still use a large enamled pot.
>
> Makes about two quarts.
>
> greg

I forgot an important ingredient, cinnamon...

he following formula is my latest version using standard ingredients,
instead of V8.
48 oz. canned tomatoes in water.
1 can 15 oz whole beets
4 celery stalks
2 carrots
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teas. ground cloves
3 teas. marjoram
1/3 teas Cinnamon
1 1/2 teas. Oregano
1/3 teas. Celery seed.
3 to 4 teas. sea salt.
1 1/2 tbls. black pepper
1 lemon, zest taken off then squeezed without seeds.

I used a juicer to pulverize veggies and used all the pulp.
Some garlic can be added as needed. I can use some garlic powder, but
not garlic salt.

Lightly boil about 1 hour to reduce, or as necessary.
I still use a large enamled pot.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Apr 4, 8:24*pm, Gz > wrote:
> My old recipe used V8 juice so I made up a new recipe using standard
> ingredients.
>
> Here it is.
>
> This all started around 1980 when my brother brought home some sauce
> from the river.
> I decided I would try to copy it so we could enjoy it anytime.
> As far as I know, this style has been around for at least 50 years.
> Its stood the test of time. Its a Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania thing up the
> Monongahela river..
>
> The following formula is my latest version using standard ingredients,
> instead of V8.
> 48 oz. canned tomatoes in water.
> 1 can 15 oz whole beets
> 4 celery stalks
> 2 carrots
> 1 cup apple cider vinegar
> 1/2 teas. ground cloves
> 3 teas. marjoram
> 1 1/2 teas. Oregano
> 1/3 teas. Celery seed.
> 3 to 4 teas. sea salt.
> 1 1/2 tbls. black pepper
> 1 lemon, zest taken off then squeezed without seeds.
>
> I used a juicer to pulverize veggies and used all the pulp.
> Some garlic can be added as needed. I can use some garlic powder, but
> not garlic salt.
>
> Lightly boil about 1 hour to reduce, or as necessary.
> I still use a large enamled pot.
>
> Makes about two quarts.
>
> greg

Well I seem to have problems editing. One more ingredient, spinach....

The following formula is my latest version using standard ingredients,
instead of V8.
48 oz. cannned tomatoes in water.
1 can 15 oz whole beets
4 celery stalks