Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

Default New version BBQ sauce. Monongahela River valley Style

My old recipe used V8 juice so I made up a new recipe using standard
ingredients.

Here it is.

This all started around 1980 when my brother brought home some sauce
from the river.
I decided I would try to copy it so we could enjoy it anytime.
As far as I know, this style has been around for at least 50 years.
Its stood the test of time. Its a Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania thing up the
Monongahela river..

The following formula is my latest version using standard ingredients,
instead of V8.
48 oz. canned tomatoes in water.
1 can 15 oz whole beets
4 celery stalks
2 carrots
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teas. ground cloves
3 teas. marjoram
1 1/2 teas. Oregano
1/3 teas. Celery seed.
3 to 4 teas. sea salt.
1 1/2 tbls. black pepper
1 lemon, zest taken off then squeezed without seeds.

I used a juicer to pulverize veggies and used all the pulp.
Some garlic can be added as needed. I can use some garlic powder, but
not garlic salt.

Lightly boil about 1 hour to reduce, or as necessary.
I still use a large enamled pot.

Makes about two quarts.

greg