Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ Competition

There is going to be BBQ competition in my locale in May. This is a
snactioned competition by KCBS. Since I've been smoking (and lurkeing
& learning) for about 5 years now I thought I'd go and see how they do
it. My buddy however says the best way to see how the competition
works is to enter it!
They've got the four standard categories; Pork (butt/shoulder), Pork
Ribs, chicken, & brisket. They also have two additional categories of
Chef's Choice and Desert.
So I've got some questions and would also appreciate any advise you
guys could give me. I've really learned a lot over the years and while
I've been smoking for about 5 years now I can honestly say the only
things I've mastered, (on a consistant basis and to what I consider
being mastered) are pork ribs, beef ribs, and beef bbq (pulled beef).

Questions -
- Chicken, do they mean whole chicken, parts, what parts do you use
and if you use say only dark meat what if you get a judge that only
likes white meat???
- Do all the meats have to be smoked or do some actually (shudder)
grill their meat?
- What does Chef's Choice cover?
- Desert, does it have to be cooked at the site, does it have to
cooked on a grill or smoker?
- I understand about the meat inspections but is tenderizer allowed to
be used as well as spices and isn't this kind of like cheating??

Thanks for the responses.

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/7/2011 5:25 AM, wrote:
> There is going to be BBQ competition in my locale in May. This is a
> snactioned competition by KCBS. Since I've been smoking (and lurkeing
> & learning) for about 5 years now I thought I'd go and see how they do
> it. My buddy however says the best way to see how the competition
> works is to enter it!
> They've got the four standard categories; Pork (butt/shoulder), Pork
> Ribs, chicken,& brisket. They also have two additional categories of
> Chef's Choice and Desert.
> So I've got some questions and would also appreciate any advise you
> guys could give me. I've really learned a lot over the years and while
> I've been smoking for about 5 years now I can honestly say the only
> things I've mastered, (on a consistant basis and to what I consider
> being mastered) are pork ribs, beef ribs, and beef bbq (pulled beef).
>
> Questions -
> - Chicken, do they mean whole chicken, parts, what parts do you use
> and if you use say only dark meat what if you get a judge that only
> likes white meat???
> - Do all the meats have to be smoked or do some actually (shudder)
> grill their meat?
> - What does Chef's Choice cover?
> - Desert, does it have to be cooked at the site, does it have to
> cooked on a grill or smoker?
> - I understand about the meat inspections but is tenderizer allowed to
> be used as well as spices and isn't this kind of like cheating??
>
> Thanks for the responses.
>

> Shinglhed
> If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
> warning.

Real BBQ doesn't happen in competition. Because
the judge only takes one bit of your turn-in
there's a lot of pressure to game the process and
make an impression in that one bite. I judged and
competed KCBS for a few years before I figured
that one out. As for the chicken, I only turn in
thighs; they're easier to get a uniform sample,
they present well and they don't dry out like
white meat can.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS-Rules-an...tions-2010.pdf

>-sw

Yes, I've already read through these and have downloaded a copy for
further study. I did this before I bothered to post my questions so I
wouldn't be asking anything readily available.

Competition BBQ Thomas Prufer Barbecue 0 12-07-2016 08:45 AM
PBS n' FN have competition notbob General Cooking 2 29-09-2010 10:36 AM
My competition!!! The Cook Preserving 5 07-10-2007 06:29 PM
Competition Clyde Winemaking 6 09-01-2004 12:50 AM