Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Deep fried bacon and hot dogs

I have to admit I was skeptical reading about deep frying bacon and
hot dogs.

Wow, was I wrong! The wife and I tried bacon, then did up some bacon
wrapped hot dogs and everyone in the family loved them! We've had
them for two meals already, and the kids are begging for more.

I was pleasantly surprised when I made some fries in the same oil. Had
a really nice bacon flavor to it.

Now if it would just stop snowing long enough to fire up the smoker...
We are looking at another 8-10 inches tonight. Yuck!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Feb-2011, mike > wrote:

> I have to admit I was skeptical reading about deep frying bacon and
> hot dogs.
>
> Wow, was I wrong! The wife and I tried bacon, then did up some bacon
> wrapped hot dogs and everyone in the family loved them! We've had
> them for two meals already, and the kids are begging for more.
>
> I was pleasantly surprised when I made some fries in the same oil. Had
> a really nice bacon flavor to it.
>
> Now if it would just stop snowing long enough to fire up the smoker...
> We are looking at another 8-10 inches tonight. Yuck!

I'm glad you had the guts to try it Mike. I know it sounds like you'd
end up with an oily mess, but it doesn't work that way. I think it was
Om that advocated frying bacon, but someone else, perhaps Karen
fried hotdogs. I said, {What the hell?) and wrapped a couple of dogs
with bacon and fried them together. It worked for me. I'm glad it
worked for you. Now if I could just find some buns that I like. I can't
deal with the Italian Baguettes anymore. My teeth won't handle it.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:14:52 -0500, mike > wrote:

>I have to admit I was skeptical reading about deep frying bacon and
>hot dogs.
>
>Wow, was I wrong! The wife and I tried bacon, then did up some bacon
>wrapped hot dogs and everyone in the family loved them! We've had
>them for two meals already, and the kids are begging for more.
>
>I was pleasantly surprised when I made some fries in the same oil. Had
>a really nice bacon flavor to it.
>
>Now if it would just stop snowing long enough to fire up the smoker...
>We are looking at another 8-10 inches tonight. Yuck!

About 25 years ago i SAW A pBS documentary in diners throughout PA.
One made what they called a Texas Tommy. They split a hotdog
lengthwise, folded two pieces of American cheese and put it in the
hotdog fold, wrapped the entire thing in bacon and deep fried the
whole thing.

I've been doing it for 25 years now and can feel my arteries hardening
every time I eat one!!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:40:58 -0500, Walt Lewis >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:14:52 -0500, mike > wrote:
>
>>I have to admit I was skeptical reading about deep frying bacon and
>>hot dogs.
>>
>>Wow, was I wrong! The wife and I tried bacon, then did up some bacon
>>wrapped hot dogs and everyone in the family loved them! We've had
>>them for two meals already, and the kids are begging for more.
>>
>>I was pleasantly surprised when I made some fries in the same oil. Had
>>a really nice bacon flavor to it.
>>
>>Now if it would just stop snowing long enough to fire up the smoker...
>>We are looking at another 8-10 inches tonight. Yuck!

>About 25 years ago i SAW A pBS documentary in diners throughout PA.
>One made what they called a Texas Tommy. They split a hotdog
>lengthwise, folded two pieces of American cheese and put it in the
>hotdog fold, wrapped the entire thing in bacon and deep fried the
>whole thing.
>
>I've been doing it for 25 years now and can feel my arteries hardening
>every time I eat one!!

The wife is stopping to pick up the stuff for these on her way home
tonight. Going to use pepperjack cheese instead of American, and
probably a bit of chilli and chopped onions on top... I've been
drooling since I saw this. Sounds really good!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:19:30 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 24-Feb-2011, mike > wrote:
>
>> I have to admit I was skeptical reading about deep frying bacon and
>> hot dogs.
>>
>> Wow, was I wrong! The wife and I tried bacon, then did up some bacon
>> wrapped hot dogs and everyone in the family loved them! We've had
>> them for two meals already, and the kids are begging for more.
>>
>> I was pleasantly surprised when I made some fries in the same oil. Had
>> a really nice bacon flavor to it.
>>
>> Now if it would just stop snowing long enough to fire up the smoker...
>> We are looking at another 8-10 inches tonight. Yuck!

>I'm glad you had the guts to try it Mike. I know it sounds like you'd
>end up with an oily mess, but it doesn't work that way. I think it was
>Om that advocated frying bacon, but someone else, perhaps Karen
>fried hotdogs. I said, {What the hell?) and wrapped a couple of dogs
>with bacon and fried them together. It worked for me. I'm glad it
>worked for you. Now if I could just find some buns that I like. I can't
>deal with the Italian Baguettes anymore. My teeth won't handle it.

OM was right that it seems to actually pull some of the grease out of
the bacon. As for buns, we aren't picky around here, just plain old
grocery store buns do us fine.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:49:01 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article > ,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
>> On 24-Feb-2011, mike > wrote:
>>
>> > I have to admit I was skeptical reading about deep frying bacon and
>> > hot dogs.
>> >
>> > Wow, was I wrong! The wife and I tried bacon, then did up some bacon
>> > wrapped hot dogs and everyone in the family loved them! We've had
>> > them for two meals already, and the kids are begging for more.
>> >
>> > I was pleasantly surprised when I made some fries in the same oil. Had
>> > a really nice bacon flavor to it.
>> >
>> > Now if it would just stop snowing long enough to fire up the smoker...
>> > We are looking at another 8-10 inches tonight. Yuck!

>> I'm glad you had the guts to try it Mike. I know it sounds like you'd
>> end up with an oily mess, but it doesn't work that way. I think it was
>> Om that advocated frying bacon, but someone else, perhaps Karen
>> fried hotdogs. I said, {What the hell?) and wrapped a couple of dogs
>> with bacon and fried them together. It worked for me. I'm glad it
>> worked for you. Now if I could just find some buns that I like. I can't
>> deal with the Italian Baguettes anymore. My teeth won't handle it.

>Deep frying bacon is amazing! Less messy and far faster than a frying
>pan. :-) And it does flavor the frying oil. I did some catfish in the
>fryer after having to bail it due to the bacon fat buildup. It cooks
>fat OUT of the bacon contrary to what you'd think. I have pics...

Nice even cooking too I noticed, and a lot less messy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:46:40 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Spring is coming... I have dandilions and there is a little house wren
>building her nest in a gourd birdhouse I have out front. She nests there
>every year. Usually produces 3 to 4 babies. :-)

Yep, nice to start hearing birds again in the morning, and I slept
really well during a great thunderstorm Sunday night. Lots of thunder
and lightning means good sleep for me.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

we had a killer storm her today, not long but mighty... i have saved the
gord idea, one of the things we have to do with the house is plant new trees
and "landscape" for what thats worth on a city lot, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> mike > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:46:40 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Spring is coming... I have dandilions and there is a little house wren
>> >building her nest in a gourd birdhouse I have out front. She nests there
>> >every year. Usually produces 3 to 4 babies. :-)

>> Yep, nice to start hearing birds again in the morning, and I slept
>> really well during a great thunderstorm Sunday night. Lots of thunder
>> and lightning means good sleep for me.

> We've not had our first thunderstorm of spring yet... but we did have a
> winter one awhile back. <g> My gourd birdhouses are getting a bit ratty
> due to age so I planted another large batch of gourd seeds a couple of
> days ago. They do well here! I usually let them dry on the vine then
> cut a hole for the "house" and shake the seeds out for replanting, then
> just stick an eye hook in the top. Simple, and the birds love them.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

we have a huge variety of birds, it sounds like the toropics to my friends
when they hear it on the phone... my plans include a martin house for
mosequito control i will bring back the humming bird feeders and i will
grow,save some gord houses when the trees get big enough, I figure having
the birds that eat bugs will make the smoking/grilling easier and more
pleseant, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > We've not had our first thunderstorm of spring yet... but we did have a
>> > winter one awhile back. <g> My gourd birdhouses are getting a bit
>> > ratty
>> > due to age so I planted another large batch of gourd seeds a couple of
>> > days ago. They do well here! I usually let them dry on the vine then
>> > cut a hole for the "house" and shake the seeds out for replanting, then
>> > just stick an eye hook in the top. Simple, and the birds love them.
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om

>> we had a killer storm her today, not long but mighty... i have saved the
>> gord idea, one of the things we have to do with the house is plant new
>> trees
>> and "landscape" for what thats worth on a city lot, Lee

> House wrens are good bug eaters for gardening and they are cute. <g>
> I'm still awaiting the first good thunderstorm of spring...
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

my kind of bird, lol,

i am really trying to figure it all out, do what we actually have the money
for/what is best to do now, and then we will have a list to "buy as we go"
for the rest, for example, the smoker i want, i already know the make and
model, it can wait because its not a neccity and not on sale, if i see it on
super duper sale i will get it if i have money saved otherwise iwill just
keep saving because the gas grill is more important and will do more to make
life easier if the power goes out, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> we have a huge variety of birds, it sounds like the toropics to my
>> friends
>> when they hear it on the phone... my plans include a martin house for
>> mosequito control i will bring back the humming bird feeders and i will
>> grow,save some gord houses when the trees get big enough, I figure having
>> the birds that eat bugs will make the smoking/grilling easier and more
>> pleseant, Lee

> <laughs> Sounds like a good plan! And when wrens are feeding babies,
> they are voracious little bug eaters! They have to be...
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i remember growing the small decorative ones when i was a kid, green on the
bottom and yellow on the top, my mom made gift baskets for christmas and
thanksgiving and used them... I am actually pretty paient as if i weren't my
head would explode, lol, Lee, making a note about the seeds
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > <laughs> Sounds like a good plan! And when wrens are feeding babies,
>> > they are voracious little bug eaters! They have to be...
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >

>> my kind of bird, lol,
>>
>> i am really trying to figure it all out, do what we actually have the
>> money
>> for/what is best to do now, and then we will have a list to "buy as we
>> go"
>> for the rest, for example, the smoker i want, i already know the make and
>> model, it can wait because its not a neccity and not on sale, if i see it
>> on
>> super duper sale i will get it if i have money saved otherwise iwill just
>> keep saving because the gas grill is more important and will do more to
>> make
>> life easier if the power goes out, Lee

> Be patient, it'll all work out and I'll send you birdhouse gourd seeds
> for free when you are ready! A single gourd will grow a crop!
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i have resorted to lists of stuff on the desktop, we have, food staples,
small appliances, randomshit, and things people have offerred, and that so
far is the longest and honestly most heartwarming thing of this whole mess,
Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i remember growing the small decorative ones when i was a kid, green on
>> the
>> bottom and yellow on the top, my mom made gift baskets for christmas and
>> thanksgiving and used them... I am actually pretty paient as if i weren't
>> my
>> head would explode, lol, Lee, making a note about the seeds

> Just remember and remind me! I have some now but the weevils have been
> at them and the batches I planted earlier this week are already
> sprouting! Once they grow and I get gourds, I'll have tons more seeds!
> It is fun to see baby birds growing in the final results. <grins>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

it does suck big time, i always considered myself pretty damned strong, but
this has been a serious reality check, truth is NONE of us are all that
strong, and i have gotten such wonderful blessings from people who i
otherwise might not have even met, I do miss tiger, but he is here on the
desk next to the other two, we managed to save their ashes and i will have
to get new containers at some point, just not now...

on the up side, i am getting to have the house i want, or closer to it
anyway, its smaller than i wanted to start with but it is going to be
maintainance freer than the other one, easier to clean, and the cats get
their own room, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>

>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Just remember and remind me! I have some now but the weevils have been
>> > at them and the batches I planted earlier this week are already
>> > sprouting! Once they grow and I get gourds, I'll have tons more seeds!
>> > It is fun to see baby birds growing in the final results. <grins>
>> >

>> i have resorted to lists of stuff on the desktop, we have, food staples,
>> small appliances, randomshit, and things people have offerred, and that
>> so
>> far is the longest and honestly most heartwarming thing of this whole
>> mess,
>> Lee

> I do understand hon' I'm just sorry you had to go through a house
> burndown. That has to seriously suck. And you lost a cat too. I
> remember. We feel for you! Humans have to take care of each other or
> what else is there to live and love for? <smiles>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

there has to be an upside or i would have already quit, the cats need caring
for and if i quit it wwould all fall to dh who is taxed to the max... you
would be strong enough to deal with it... there really isn't an option, and
frankly nothing a little hooch and good food won't take care of... the dh
cooked me a porksteak in the new wave oven from my brother today, i
immediately started thinking of how great it will be when we are back in the
house and i have the facilities to actually smoke pork, the steak was great
but everything makes me think of when we get back to OUR house, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>

>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > I do understand hon' I'm just sorry you had to go through a house
>> > burndown. That has to seriously suck. And you lost a cat too. I
>> > remember. We feel for you! Humans have to take care of each other or
>> > what else is there to live and love for? <smiles>

>> it does suck big time, i always considered myself pretty damned
>> strong, but
>> this has been a serious reality check, truth is NONE of us are all that
>> strong,

> I don't know that I'd ever be strong enough to go thru that. You are
> stronger than I!
>
>> and i have gotten such wonderful blessings from people who i
>> otherwise might not have even met, I do miss tiger, but he is here on the
>> desk next to the other two, we managed to save their ashes and i will
>> have
>> to get new containers at some point, just not now...

> The pet crematoriums do sell containers for a good price. I prefer wood.
> Check with your vet.
>>
>> on the up side, i am getting to have the house i want, or closer to it
>> anyway, its smaller than i wanted to start with but it is going to be
>> maintainance freer than the other one, easier to clean, and the cats get
>> their own room, Lee

> I'm glad there is an upside for you. <smiles>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I often tell people the good decision i made in life is being open to his
friendship, if i did nothing else right that was it, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> there has to be an upside or i would have already quit, the cats need
>> caring
>> for and if i quit it wwould all fall to dh who is taxed to the max... you
>> would be strong enough to deal with it... there really isn't an option,
>> and
>> frankly nothing a little hooch and good food won't take care of...

> True dat!
>
>> the dh
>> cooked me a porksteak in the new wave oven from my brother today, i
>> immediately started thinking of how great it will be when we are back in
>> the
>> house and i have the facilities to actually smoke pork, the steak was
>> great
>> but everything makes me think of when we get back to OUR house, Lee

> You are very fortunate having him. <smiles>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> I have one of those filters, but I have shied away from using it. I'm
> not sure why. Maybe it will clog too easily. Maybe it will melt from
> oil too hot. Neither of those reasons hold water, so I'll give it a shot.
> I wonder how many of us either do or do not do things because of
> some illogical hangup.

We have a coffee filter basket from a long gone regular
coffee maker. Set it atop a large mouth Mason jar. Put the
paper filter in and pour in the oil.

By osmosis and gravity most goes through and come out very
fresh. The lost is minimal but it takes a day or three.

craigster
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I have to admit I was skeptical reading about deep frying bacon and
hot dogs.

Wow, was I wrong! The wife and I tried bacon, then did up some bacon
wrapped hot dogs and everyone in the family loved them! We've had
them for two meals already, and the kids are begging for more.

I was pleasantly surprised when I made some fries in the same oil. Had
a really nice bacon flavor to it.

Now if it would just stop snowing long enough to fire up the smoker...
We are looking at another 8-10 inches tonight. Yuck!
Wow, was I wrong! The wife and I tried bacon, and then did up some bacon
wrap hot dogs and everyone in the family loved them! We've had
them for two meals already, and the kids are begging for more.

I was pleasantly surprised when I made some fries in the same oil. Had
a really nice bacon flavor to it.

Leahcon

A deep-fried, bacon-wrapped fair season is here Travis McGee General Cooking 6 25-08-2014 03:08 PM
Oscar Meyer Bacon Hot Dogs Libby[_2_] General Cooking 21 18-05-2013 05:20 AM
Deep fried bacon Andy General Cooking 95 14-09-2005 04:25 PM
Deep Fried Hot Dogs Frank Chris Dohrmann General Cooking 64 17-06-2004 07:08 AM