Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Getting time to start again

I guess there hasn't been much barbecuing or smoking going on this winter,
being it was such a bad winter in most places. Even here in central Texas,
the weather was anything except barbecue weather. We had several days with
the highs below the freezing mark, and the lows in single digits one night.
Didn't have much ice, but did get an inch of white global warming. Makes me
want to go south for the winter next year.

But, the weather has turned off nice for a few days and I'm getting ready to
(fixin to) cook us up a bunch of spare ribs, hot and mild sausage, smoke a
few bell and Jalapeño peppers, and have a feast. Sure going to beat meat
loaf.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob-tx wrote:

> I guess there hasn't been much barbecuing or smoking going on this winter,
> being it was such a bad winter in most places. Even here in central Texas,
> the weather was anything except barbecue weather. We had several days with
> the highs below the freezing mark, and the lows in single digits one night.
> Didn't have much ice, but did get an inch of white global warming. Makes me
> want to go south for the winter next year.
>
> But, the weather has turned off nice for a few days and I'm getting ready to
> (fixin to) cook us up a bunch of spare ribs, hot and mild sausage, smoke a
> few bell and Jalapeño peppers, and have a feast. Sure going to beat meat
> loaf.
>
> Bob-tx

I'll be doing a smoker run some upcoming weekend to restock my freezer.
It sure was nice to be able to pull a packet of BBQ brisket out of the
freezer in the middle of the ice storm here a couple weeks ago and have
that while I hibernated waiting for the ice to melt.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 14, 4:21*pm, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:
> I guess there hasn't been much barbecuing or smoking going on this winter,
> being it was such a bad winter in most places. *Even here in central Texas,
> the weather was anything except barbecue weather. *We had several days with
> the highs below the freezing mark, and the lows in single digits one night.

Member

I can smell the hickory already! Looking forward to another fun-filled BBQ season myself.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> TerryLBaker > wrote:
>
>> I can smell the hickory already! Looking forward to another fun-filled
>> BBQ season myself.

> For me, it is mesquite... ;-d
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Post Oak, and pecan for me

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Shawn Martin > spewed forth:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> TerryLBaker > wrote:
>>
>>> I can smell the hickory already! Looking forward to another
>>> fun-filled BBQ season myself.

>> For me, it is mesquite... ;-d
>> --
>> Peace! Om
>>
>> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
>> --Robert Heinlien

> Post Oak, and pecan for me

I'll second the pecan, along with some cherry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ChairMan said

> In ,
> Shawn Martin > spewed forth:
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> For me, it is mesquite... ;-d
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om
>>>
>>> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>>> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
>>> --Robert Heinlien

>> Post Oak, and pecan for me

> I'll second the pecan, along with some cherry

I'm just a lumper.... am I really missing something by not adding in
hickory, etc.

..... man I'm looking forward to smoking some ribs... been a long nasty
winter...

--
Better living through smoking.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 24, 5:09*pm, "Heavy_Smoker" >
wrote:

> I'm just a lumper.... am I really missing something by not adding in
> hickory, etc.

Notice flavors when I used different cuts of wood of course. But also
don't use chunks or shavings with lump as it seems that the lump would
overwhelm any little chunk of stuff thrown into it. Small branches
maybe.

You use lump for everything too? Grilling, BBQ, whatever?

I use lump for most everything, but when I have it, will use raw wood
for larger pieces like butt and brisket.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:37:24 -0600, Shawn Martin wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> For me, it is mesquite... ;-d
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om
>>>
>>> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>>> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
>>> --Robert Heinlien

>> Post Oak, and pecan for me

> Pecan mostly. I've never seen any oak chunks for sale at HEB. I used
> hickory last week - same ting as pecan, just stronger (use less).
>
> -sw

You can find Post Oak in the fence-row aisle. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall said

> On Feb 24, 5:09*pm, "Heavy_Smoker" >
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm just a lumper.... am I really missing something by not adding in
>> hickory, etc.
>>

> Notice flavors when I used different cuts of wood of course. But also
> don't use chunks or shavings with lump as it seems that the lump would
> overwhelm any little chunk of stuff thrown into it. Small branches
> maybe.
>
> You use lump for everything too? Grilling, BBQ, whatever?

All my Qing is in a WSM, with lump. I can't imagine using real wood in
it - and keeping the fire as steady as I can with lump. Is this really
possible?

I've been considering a smoker with a side firebox for several years -
I've just gotten so used to the set-and-forget convenience of the WSM.

I use <gasp> propane on very rare occasions for burgers and such. Oh the
horror. ;-)

> I use lump for most everything, but when I have it, will use raw wood
> for larger pieces like butt and brisket.

--
Better living through smoking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet said

> I prefer to cook with wood. Plus, I get it for free. <g>

Free, free is good! ;-)

This thread is making me hungry!

--
Better living through smoking.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:14:25 -0600, "Shawn Martin"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:37:24 -0600, Shawn Martin wrote:
>>
>>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> In article >,

>>> Post Oak, and pecan for me

>> Pecan mostly. I've never seen any oak chunks for sale at HEB. I used
>> hickory last week - same ting as pecan, just stronger (use less).
>>
>> -sw

>You can find Post Oak in the fence-row aisle. ;-)

Get the treated stuff... all that arsenic is where the flavor is
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> mike > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:14:25 -0600, "Shawn Martin"
> > > wrote:

> > >You can find Post Oak in the fence-row aisle. ;-)
> > >

> > Get the treated stuff... all that arsenic is where the flavor is

> <chuckles> I have more downed post oak branches than I can keep up
> with. ;-) Some get punky if I let them lay long enough and make good
> starter/kindling.... I only have .22 acres but it's heavily wooded.
> --
> Peace! Om

In the ongoing saga of Texas Mesquite, I attended a BBQ birthday party
yesterday, (Saturday). The smoker was a trailer mounted affair with a
fire box larger then my whole smoker. It was fueled all day with Mesquite
trucked over here from Texas by the host' son. I can't say that it did any
harm to the 'Q'. There was plenty of Oak available as well, but none was
used. The BBQ was whole ribs, whole chickens,a bunch of that
cryo wrapped big store sausage and a whole passel of fresh ear corn
roasted in the husk; two kinds of baked beans, potato salad and of
course cake and ice cream in honor of the birthday boy (71).

--
Brick(It's hard to beat a BBQ party whatever the occasion)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

snip

> Was the smoked stuff good? I've had problems with using pure mesquite
> making the smoke bitter. I prefer to mix it with post oak or
> hackberry...

The trick for mesquite (or rather, what works for me) is to build the
fire on the ground, and add only burnt down coals to the smoker.

That way most of the volatiles have been burnt off.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>

> snip
>

>> Was the smoked stuff good? I've had problems with using pure
>> mesquite making the smoke bitter. I prefer to mix it with post oak
>> or hackberry...

> The trick for mesquite (or rather, what works for me) is to build the
> fire on the ground, and add only burnt down coals to the smoker.
>
> That way most of the volatiles have been burnt off.

Bingo....right on the money.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Shawn Martin wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>

>> snip
>>

>>> Was the smoked stuff good? I've had problems with using pure
>>> mesquite making the smoke bitter. I prefer to mix it with post oak
>>> or hackberry...

>> The trick for mesquite (or rather, what works for me) is to build the
>> fire on the ground, and add only burnt down coals to the smoker.
>>
>> That way most of the volatiles have been burnt off.

> Bingo....right on the money.

Hey Dave! Long time no post.
Glad to have you back.

I should have added that this trick will work with most woods, excepting
pines.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/6/2011 5:56 PM, Dave Bugg wrote:
> Shawn Martin wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>

>> snip
>>

>>> Was the smoked stuff good? I've had problems with using pure
>>> mesquite making the smoke bitter. I prefer to mix it with post oak
>>> or hackberry...

>> The trick for mesquite (or rather, what works for me) is to build the
>> fire on the ground, and add only burnt down coals to the smoker.
>>
>> That way most of the volatiles have been burnt off.

> Bingo....right on the money.

Great to see you're still kickin'!

hm.... maybe I should give mes. a try this way. It sux as a wood but
maybe as coals... hmmmm

How long 'fore you have to head back out?

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> In article > ,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> > On 4-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

.. . .

> Was the smoked stuff good? I've had problems with using pure mesquite
> making the smoke bitter. I prefer to mix it with post oak or
> hackberry...
> --
> Peace! Om

There was no objectionable taste from the fire. The pitmaster knew
what he was doing and allowed plenty of airflow to keep the smoke
pure. I wasn't there when he started the fire, so I don't know what
he did about the "burning down" process. I did consider his ribs to
be a bit too dry. He messed around with the food a lot I thought.
He's a transplanted Texan though and I've heard that they like to
play with their food.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Mar-2011, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 13:17:52 GMT, Brick wrote:
>
> > In the ongoing saga of Texas Mesquite, I attended a BBQ birthday party
> > yesterday, (Saturday). The smoker was a trailer mounted affair with a
> > fire box larger then my whole smoker. It was fueled all day with
> > Mesquite
> > trucked over here from Texas by the host' son. I can't say that it did
> > any
> > harm to the 'Q'. There was plenty of Oak available as well, but none was
> > used. The BBQ was whole ribs, whole chickens,a bunch of that
> > cryo wrapped big store sausage and a whole passel of fresh ear corn
> > roasted in the husk; two kinds of baked beans, potato salad and of
> > course cake and ice cream in honor of the birthday boy (71).

> I'd bet that raw logs were not put in the firebox, but rather they
> were burnt down separately.
>
> Maybe you could get away with it in a open pit at really high temps,
> but not low and slow.
>
> -sw

No separate pit. He was cooking between 250 and 300. I didn't see
any raw wood added to the pit though. I'll ask him the next time I
see him, how he manages it. I do know that he is not a stranger
to smokers and the various wood available. I do know that he prefers
mesquite when he can get it. He personally trucked this load over
from Texas.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 6-Mar-2011, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 13:17:52 GMT, Brick wrote:
>>
>>> In the ongoing saga of Texas Mesquite, I attended a BBQ birthday party
>>> yesterday, (Saturday). The smoker was a trailer mounted affair with a
>>> fire box larger then my whole smoker. It was fueled all day with
>>> Mesquite
>>> trucked over here from Texas by the host' son. I can't say that it did
>>> any
>>> harm to the 'Q'. There was plenty of Oak available as well, but none was
>>> used. The BBQ was whole ribs, whole chickens,a bunch of that
>>> cryo wrapped big store sausage and a whole passel of fresh ear corn
>>> roasted in the husk; two kinds of baked beans, potato salad and of
>>> course cake and ice cream in honor of the birthday boy (71).

>> I'd bet that raw logs were not put in the firebox, but rather they
>> were burnt down separately.
>>
>> Maybe you could get away with it in a open pit at really high temps,
>> but not low and slow.
>>
>> -sw

> No separate pit. He was cooking between 250 and 300. I didn't see
> any raw wood added to the pit though. I'll ask him the next time I
> see him, how he manages it. I do know that he is not a stranger
> to smokers and the various wood available. I do know that he prefers
> mesquite when he can get it. He personally trucked this load over
> from Texas.

Dude, tell him that I can provide all he needs. All he has to do is
come get it. Shawn, with 36 acres of the sh%^.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:

>>> Bingo....right on the money.
>>>

>> Great to see you're still kickin'!
>>
>> hm.... maybe I should give mes. a try this way. It sux as a wood but
>> maybe as coals... hmmmm
>>
>> How long 'fore you have to head back out?

> Watch your temps. Mesquite being such a hard wood can really raise the
> smoker temp. I've learned that experimenting with different woods. I'm
> thinking one of those chimney burners to create coals might be a good
> investment. Burn it down on a cinder block maybe? I also have some
> concrete tiles.

How are you gonna light the chimney?
Trust me, unless you are putting on a major smoke, mesquite ain't worth
it. Stick to oak, hickory-pecan.

Or try some mesquite lump, from your neighborhood mrxi-deli.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 6-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> "Brick" > wrote:
>>
>>> On 4-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> . . .
>
>> Was the smoked stuff good? I've had problems with using pure mesquite
>> making the smoke bitter. I prefer to mix it with post oak or
>> hackberry...
>> --
>> Peace! Om

> There was no objectionable taste from the fire. The pitmaster knew
> what he was doing and allowed plenty of airflow to keep the smoke
> pure. I wasn't there when he started the fire, so I don't know what
> he did about the "burning down" process. I did consider his ribs to
> be a bit too dry. He messed around with the food a lot I thought.
> He's a transplanted Texan though and I've heard that they like to
> play with their food.

It's a show we put on in front of Yankees, and other foreigners. we're
afraid that if they found out how easy 'cue is, we'd lose some of that
Western mystique that we enjoy. ;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/7/2011 2:00 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> Steve > wrote:
>
> Watch your temps. Mesquite being such a hard wood can really raise the
> smoker temp. I've learned that experimenting with different woods. I'm
> thinking one of those chimney burners to create coals might be a good
> investment. Burn it down on a cinder block maybe? I also have some
> concrete tiles.

Thanks om, I've used a chimney for years. Only way to start a fire.
Chemical starters? <shudder> no way.

I'll try it again with coals and see if it comes out somewhat edible.
Every attempt in the past with mesquite and I wouldn't have given it to
a dog let alone serve it to humans.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2011, Shawn Martin > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > On 6-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> > . . .
> >
> >> Was the smoked stuff good? I've had problems with using pure mesquite
> >> making the smoke bitter. I prefer to mix it with post oak or
> >> hackberry...
> >> --
> >> Peace! Om

> > There was no objectionable taste from the fire. The pitmaster knew
> > what he was doing and allowed plenty of airflow to keep the smoke
> > pure. I wasn't there when he started the fire, so I don't know what
> > he did about the "burning down" process. I did consider his ribs to
> > be a bit too dry. He messed around with the food a lot I thought.
> > He's a transplanted Texan though and I've heard that they like to
> > play with their food.
> >

> It's a show we put on in front of Yankees, and other foreigners. we're
> afraid that if they found out how easy 'cue is, we'd lose some of that
> Western mystique that we enjoy. ;-)

I confess I spent about six years in Texas off and on and I never did
figure that out. I just assumed that Texan's as a group were just a
little backward.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> In article > ,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> > On 6-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> > . . .
> >

> > > Was the smoked stuff good? I've had problems with using pure mesquite
> > > making the smoke bitter. I prefer to mix it with post oak or
> > > hackberry...
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > There was no objectionable taste from the fire. The pitmaster knew
> > what he was doing and allowed plenty of airflow to keep the smoke
> > pure. I wasn't there when he started the fire, so I don't know what
> > he did about the "burning down" process. I did consider his ribs to
> > be a bit too dry. He messed around with the food a lot I thought.
> > He's a transplanted Texan though and I've heard that they like to
> > play with their food.

> <laughs> I'm actually pretty cautious about doing that. Messes too
> much with pit temp stability.
> --
> Peace! Om

That's what I think detracted from the quality of his ribs. Too much
drying time mixed in with the cooking time. I just ran a batch of my
own yesterday and had no such problem. My ribs are barely seasoned
with rub, but they're so succulent, it's difficult to stop eating them
before severe 'fullness' sets in. When fresh out of the pit, they don't
even need any side dishes.

On a humorous note, I set a few eggs to hardboil and forgot about
them. They actually exploded after the pan ran dry and decorated
the kitchen with quite dry egg debris. It was easy to sweep up, but
looked pretty funny. Scratch one batch of potato salad.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> In article > ,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> > > <laughs> I'm actually pretty cautious about doing that. Messes too
> > > much with pit temp stability.
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > That's what I think detracted from the quality of his ribs. Too much
> > drying time mixed in with the cooking time. I just ran a batch of my
> > own yesterday and had no such problem. My ribs are barely seasoned
> > with rub, but they're so succulent, it's difficult to stop eating them
> > before severe 'fullness' sets in. When fresh out of the pit, they don't
> > even need any side dishes.

> My pork ribs do turn out well but with a pit temp of 350, I check them
> every half hour. When the tongs "sink" into the meat, I know they are
> done. :-)
>
> That is for pork ribs tho'. I'm still learning to cook beef but have
> gotten a LOT better with it since I bought the Polder!
> >
> > On a humorous note, I set a few eggs to hardboil and forgot about
> > them. They actually exploded after the pan ran dry and decorated
> > the kitchen with quite dry egg debris. It was easy to sweep up, but
> > looked pretty funny. Scratch one batch of potato salad.

> And probably one pan too. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om

Surprisingly, the pan survived. I dumped out the debris and then let
it soak for several hours. After that a mild scrub with SOS made it
almost as good as new. It was a heavy bottom stainless boiler.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Mar-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> > > And probably one pan too. <g>
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > Surprisingly, the pan survived. I dumped out the debris and then let
> > it soak for several hours. After that a mild scrub with SOS made it
> > almost as good as new. It was a heavy bottom stainless boiler.
> >
> > --
> > Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

> Ah! That is good. :-) I use one of these now to both hard or soft boil
> eggs:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/4lovj54>
>
> Never fails me and since it actually steam cooks the eggs, they peel
> like a dream every single time. :-) Sure it only cooks 4 at a time but
> for me that's often all I want.
>
> Cooking time for soft or hard is going to depend on your m-wave. I've
> cooked dozens in it and only ever had one explode and that was due to a
> damaged shell. ;-) And it contained the mess...
> --
> Peace! Om

I'm keeping an eye out for one of those and will have one just as soon as
one appears within 'grabbin' range.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Banned

Ganeshmal Tejraj are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers engaged in offering a wide range of Commercial Kitchen Equipments We use superior quality raw material to manufacture our range of products. kitchen equipment, steel utensils in Bangalore, Fry pan in Bangalore.kitchen equipment, kitchen equipment in bangalore, commercial kitchen equipment, commercial kitchen utensils, commercial kitchen setup in Bangalore, Gravy machine in Bangalore, Chafing dish in Bangalore, Chopping board in bangalore, brass & copper utensils in Bangalore