Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Time to start preserving

Pete picked a slew bang of strawberries yesterday. I also have 3
mangos that are ripe (78¢) each), found some ripe kiwi so here comes
some Barbara Schaller's mango and strawberry jam with kiwi fruit. I
am also going to made some strawberry sorbet. I have some rhubarb
from what is left of my plants and bought some more today. Also
bought some oranges so I can make rhubarb and orange jelly. There are
plenty more strawberries that I need to find something to do with. We
already have some in the freezer. Maybe strawberry jam or jelly.
Sugar was on sale today $1.48 for a 4 pound bag. I bought 8 bags.
Time to get to work.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> Pete picked a slew bang of strawberries yesterday. I also have 3
> mangos that are ripe (78¢) each), found some ripe kiwi so here comes
> some Barbara Schaller's mango and strawberry jam with kiwi fruit. I
> am also going to made some strawberry sorbet. I have some rhubarb
> from what is left of my plants and bought some more today. Also
> bought some oranges so I can make rhubarb and orange jelly. There are
> plenty more strawberries that I need to find something to do with. We
> already have some in the freezer. Maybe strawberry jam or jelly.
> Sugar was on sale today $1.48 for a 4 pound bag. I bought 8 bags.
> Time to get to work.
> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

Sugar NEVER goes on sale here....bummer - I'd do the same.

Nothing yet to harvest, except what I found in the freezer a couple of
months ago. But I'm always planning ahead.

For example - would you share your recipe for rhubarb and orange jelly?
Sounds interesting, and I know I'll be able to get my hands on lots of
rhubarb pretty soon.

It's bee a cool and busy Spring, so nothing has been planted yet. I'm not
doing a big veggie garden this year - maybe just tomatoes and potatoes. And
some herbs in pots. I'll watch for seasonal stuff to go on sale at the
grocery store. Maybe I'll talk sweetly to the produce manager at work and
see if he'll save me the 'garbage' stuff. It's not likely, but it's worth a
try...

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 24 May 2008 12:41:06 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Pete picked a slew bang of strawberries yesterday. I also have 3
>> mangos that are ripe (78¢) each), found some ripe kiwi so here comes
>> some Barbara Schaller's mango and strawberry jam with kiwi fruit. I
>> am also going to made some strawberry sorbet. I have some rhubarb
>> from what is left of my plants and bought some more today. Also
>> bought some oranges so I can make rhubarb and orange jelly. There are
>> plenty more strawberries that I need to find something to do with. We
>> already have some in the freezer. Maybe strawberry jam or jelly.
>> Sugar was on sale today $1.48 for a 4 pound bag. I bought 8 bags.
>> Time to get to work.
>> --
>> Susan N.
>>
>> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
>> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
>> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

>Sugar NEVER goes on sale here....bummer - I'd do the same.
>
>Nothing yet to harvest, except what I found in the freezer a couple of
>months ago. But I'm always planning ahead.
>
>For example - would you share your recipe for rhubarb and orange jelly?
>Sounds interesting, and I know I'll be able to get my hands on lots of
>rhubarb pretty soon.
>
>It's bee a cool and busy Spring, so nothing has been planted yet. I'm not
>doing a big veggie garden this year - maybe just tomatoes and potatoes. And
>some herbs in pots. I'll watch for seasonal stuff to go on sale at the
>grocery store. Maybe I'll talk sweetly to the produce manager at work and
>see if he'll save me the 'garbage' stuff. It's not likely, but it's worth a
>try...
>
>Kathi

Here is the recipe.
* Exported from MasterCook *

Rhubarb-Orange Jelly

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

4 cups rhubarb -- chopped
2 1/3 cups water
6 ounces orange juice, frozen concentrate
1 each pectin -- powered, 1 3/4oz
4 cups sugar

Combine rhubarb and 2 cups of the water and cook over moderate heat
for about 15 minutes. Strain in a Sieve, rubbing pulp through.
Measure 2 cups juice, add the orange concentrate, the remaining 1/3
cup water and stir in pectin.

Set over high heat and bring to a full boil, stirring frequently.

Add sugar and bring again to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1
minute. Remove from heat and skim.

Seal in hot sterilized glasses and boiling water bath for 5 minutes
for pints.

Source:
"Putting Food By, 2nd edition"
Copyright:
"1975"
Yield:
"2 1/2 pints"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

NOTES : I used fresh squeezed orange juice to equal the OJ concentrate
plus 1/3 of water.

A Super Wal-Mart opened here a couple of weeks ago and the other
stores are trying to keep customers. They put sugar on sale
periodically and I stock up. Otherwise I buy a big bag at Costco.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Pete picked a slew bang of strawberries yesterday. I also have 3
>> mangos that are ripe (78¢) each), found some ripe kiwi so here comes
>> some Barbara Schaller's mango and strawberry jam with kiwi fruit. I
>> am also going to made some strawberry sorbet. I have some rhubarb
>> from what is left of my plants and bought some more today. Also
>> bought some oranges so I can make rhubarb and orange jelly. There are
>> plenty more strawberries that I need to find something to do with. We
>> already have some in the freezer. Maybe strawberry jam or jelly.
>> Sugar was on sale today $1.48 for a 4 pound bag. I bought 8 bags.
>> Time to get to work.
>> --
>> Susan N.
>>
>> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
>> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
>> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

>Sugar NEVER goes on sale here....bummer - I'd do the same.
>
>Nothing yet to harvest, except what I found in the freezer a couple of
>months ago. But I'm always planning ahead.
>
>For example - would you share your recipe for rhubarb and orange jelly?
>Sounds interesting, and I know I'll be able to get my hands on lots of
>rhubarb pretty soon.
>
>It's bee a cool and busy Spring, so nothing has been planted yet. I'm not
>doing a big veggie garden this year - maybe just tomatoes and potatoes. And
>some herbs in pots. I'll watch for seasonal stuff to go on sale at the
>grocery store. Maybe I'll talk sweetly to the produce manager at work and
>see if he'll save me the 'garbage' stuff. It's not likely, but it's worth a
>try...
>
>Kathi

I just found another rhubarb and orange combination.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lebanon County Rhubarb Preserves

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

2 1/2 pounds rhubarb
3 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons orange peel -- grated
3/4 cup orange juice

Wash rhubarb and cut into small pieces. Peel stalks if skin is tough.
Combine in a saucepan with the sugar, orange peel and orange juice.

Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved, the bring to boiling over
medium heat. Reduce heat and cook slowly until mixture thickens,
about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Ladle into clean, hot jars and seal, following manufacturer's
directions.

Process by simmering in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Source:
"Culinary Arts Institute The Canning and Freezing Book"
Yield:
"3 pints"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> Pete picked a slew bang of strawberries yesterday. I also have 3
> mangos that are ripe (78¢) each), found some ripe kiwi so here comes
> some Barbara Schaller's mango and strawberry jam with kiwi fruit. I
> am also going to made some strawberry sorbet. I have some rhubarb
> from what is left of my plants and bought some more today. Also
> bought some oranges so I can make rhubarb and orange jelly. There are
> plenty more strawberries that I need to find something to do with. We
> already have some in the freezer. Maybe strawberry jam or jelly.
> Sugar was on sale today $1.48 for a 4 pound bag. I bought 8 bags.
> Time to get to work.
> --
> Susan N.

My sis loves the strawberry kiwi mix and mangos sounds like gilding lilies
here, but I don't like the mixes enuf to make more than one batch. I'm
thinking a strawberry ginger jam sounds good, tho. I have some candied
ginger from last year in the freezer that might do well there. The Peach
Ginger (with fresh ginger) is just fab. OMG. It's like, to diet for, even,
like. Been thinking about the lime marmalade and telling myself to make lime
jam with only sprinkles of rind zest. Or maybe using the freezer recipe,
which I don't use because of the taste. Might preserve the perfume I'm
after...
I couldn't get the star anise seeds to spout (from the spice rack at the
store), but the fenugreek (used in curry & pickle spice & tea) sprouting
like it couldn't wait to hit the pot. Inside even. Whew. Might plant some
more just to see it spout.
Edrena
The Saga Begins
Again

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message

> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>> Pete picked a slew bang of strawberries yesterday. I also have 3
>> mangos that are ripe (78¢) each), found some ripe kiwi so here comes
>> some Barbara Schaller's mango and strawberry jam with kiwi fruit. I
>> am also going to made some strawberry sorbet. I have some rhubarb
>> from what is left of my plants and bought some more today. Also
>> bought some oranges so I can make rhubarb and orange jelly. There are
>> plenty more strawberries that I need to find something to do with. We
>> already have some in the freezer. Maybe strawberry jam or jelly.
>> Sugar was on sale today $1.48 for a 4 pound bag. I bought 8 bags.
>> Time to get to work.
>> --
>> Susan N.
>>

> My sis loves the strawberry kiwi mix and mangos sounds like gilding lilies
> here, but I don't like the mixes enuf to make more than one batch. I'm
> thinking a strawberry ginger jam sounds good, tho. I have some candied
> ginger from last year in the freezer that might do well there. The Peach
> Ginger (with fresh ginger) is just fab. OMG. It's like, to diet for,
> even, like. Been thinking about the lime marmalade and telling myself to
> make lime jam with only sprinkles of rind zest. Or maybe using the freezer
> recipe, which I don't use because of the taste. Might preserve the perfume
> I'm after...
> I couldn't get the star anise seeds to spout (from the spice rack at the
> store), but the fenugreek (used in curry & pickle spice & tea) sprouting
> like it couldn't wait to hit the pot. Inside even. Whew. Might plant some
> more just to see it spout.
> Edrena
> The Saga Begins
> Again

Strawberry Kiwi jam is the biggest hit around here. I made a Peach Apricot
Ginger jam that I liked, but got no feed back from recipiants (sp?), so
never made it again.

I made a nice Seville Orange Marmalade in February. Lime Marmalade sounds
interesting...let me know what you decide - I might hound you for the
recipe,

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> On Sat, 24 May 2008 12:41:06 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..

> [...]

> Set over high heat and bring to a full boil, stirring frequently.
>
> Add sugar and bring again to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1
> minute. Remove from heat and skim.
>
> Seal in hot sterilized glasses and boiling water bath for 5 minutes
> for pints.
>
> Source:
> "Putting Food By, 2nd edition"
> Copyright:
> "1975"
> Yield:
> "2 1/2 pints"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> NOTES : I used fresh squeezed orange juice to equal the OJ concentrate
> plus 1/3 of water.
>

> A Super Wal-Mart opened here a couple of weeks ago and the other
> stores are trying to keep customers. They put sugar on sale
> periodically and I stock up. Otherwise I buy a big bag at Costco.

When you made this jelly, was it transparent or translucent? We made it
today at the Canning Kitchen and it was opaque. We did strain the rhubarb .
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:29:46 GMT, ellen wickberg >
wrote:

>The Cook wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 May 2008 12:41:06 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
>> wrote:

>>>Sugar NEVER goes on sale here....bummer - I'd do the same.
>>>
>>>Nothing yet to harvest, except what I found in the freezer a couple of
>>>months ago. But I'm always planning ahead.
>>>
>>>For example - would you share your recipe for rhubarb and orange jelly?
>>>Sounds interesting, and I know I'll be able to get my hands on lots of
>>>rhubarb pretty soon.
>>>
>>>It's bee a cool and busy Spring, so nothing has been planted yet. I'm not
>>>doing a big veggie garden this year - maybe just tomatoes and potatoes. And
>>>some herbs in pots. I'll watch for seasonal stuff to go on sale at the
>>>grocery store. Maybe I'll talk sweetly to the produce manager at work and
>>>see if he'll save me the 'garbage' stuff. It's not likely, but it's worth a
>>>try...
>>>
>>>Kathi
>>>

>> Here is the recipe.
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Rhubarb-Orange Jelly
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 4 cups rhubarb -- chopped
>> 2 1/3 cups water
>> 6 ounces orange juice, frozen concentrate
>> 1 each pectin -- powered, 1 3/4oz
>> 4 cups sugar
>>
>> Combine rhubarb and 2 cups of the water and cook over moderate heat
>> for about 15 minutes. Strain in a Sieve, rubbing pulp through.
>> Measure 2 cups juice, add the orange concentrate, the remaining 1/3
>> cup water and stir in pectin.
>>
>> Set over high heat and bring to a full boil, stirring frequently.
>>
>> Add sugar and bring again to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1
>> minute. Remove from heat and skim.
>>
>> Seal in hot sterilized glasses and boiling water bath for 5 minutes
>> for pints.
>>
>> Source:
>> "Putting Food By, 2nd edition"
>> Copyright:
>> "1975"
>> Yield:
>> "2 1/2 pints"
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> - -
>>
>> NOTES : I used fresh squeezed orange juice to equal the OJ concentrate
>> plus 1/3 of water.
>>

>> A Super Wal-Mart opened here a couple of weeks ago and the other
>> stores are trying to keep customers. They put sugar on sale
>> periodically and I stock up. Otherwise I buy a big bag at Costco.

>When you made this jelly, was it transparent or translucent? We made it
>today at the Canning Kitchen and it was opaque. We did strain the rhubarb .
>Ellen

This one is more opaque. I put both the rhubarb and orange juices
through coffee filters. Here is a rhubarb jelly with no added orange
juice that I just made. It is much more translucent.

http://recipegal.com/jams-jelly/Rhubarb-Jelly.htm

Check the name on it. I sent the URL to Barb, but I think she was too
wrapped up in getting ready to go to France to notice it. This one
also turned out well. And a very pretty pink.

That the is the last of the rhubarb jams & jellies for this year. I
have just enough left to make Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:29:46 GMT, ellen wickberg >
> wrote:
>

>>The Cook wrote:

m...

>>>Here is the recipe.
>>>* Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Rhubarb-Orange Jelly
>>>
>>>Recipe By :
>>>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>>Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 4 cups rhubarb -- chopped
>>> 2 1/3 cups water
>>> 6 ounces orange juice, frozen concentrate
>>> 1 each pectin -- powered, 1 3/4oz
>>> 4 cups sugar
>>>
>>>Combine rhubarb and 2 cups of the water and cook over moderate heat
>>>for about 15 minutes. Strain in a Sieve, rubbing pulp through.
>>>Measure 2 cups juice, add the orange concentrate, the remaining 1/3
>>>cup water and stir in pectin.
>>>
>>>Set over high heat and bring to a full boil, stirring frequently.
>>>
>>>Add sugar and bring again to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1
>>>minute. Remove from heat and skim.
>>>
>>>Seal in hot sterilized glasses and boiling water bath for 5 minutes
>>>for pints.
>>>
>>>Source:
>>> "Putting Food By, 2nd edition"
>>>Copyright:
>>> "1975"
>>>Yield:
>>> "2 1/2 pints"
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>>- -
>>>
>>>NOTES : I used fresh squeezed orange juice to equal the OJ concentrate
>>>plus 1/3 of water.
>>>

>>>A Super Wal-Mart opened here a couple of weeks ago and the other
>>>stores are trying to keep customers. They put sugar on sale
>>>periodically and I stock up. Otherwise I buy a big bag at Costco.

>>When you made this jelly, was it transparent or translucent? We made it
>>today at the Canning Kitchen and it was opaque. We did strain the rhubarb .
>>Ellen

> This one is more opaque. I put both the rhubarb and orange juices
> through coffee filters. Here is a rhubarb jelly with no added orange
> juice that I just made. It is much more translucent.
>
> http://recipegal.com/jams-jelly/Rhubarb-Jelly.htm
>
> Check the name on it. I sent the URL to Barb, but I think she was too
> wrapped up in getting ready to go to France to notice it. This one
> also turned out well. And a very pretty pink.
>
> That the is the last of the rhubarb jams & jellies for this year. I
> have just enough left to make Barb's rhubarb custard cake.

Thanks for the info and the new recipe.
Ellen