Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Damn, it's quiet here

Kent bait:

Grilled today on the exaust manfold of my weedeater.

(Troll haunch(

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn Martin" > wrote in message
> Kent bait:
>
> Grilled today on the exaust manfold of my weedeater.
>
> (Troll haunch(

grill, or griddle?

what type of oil did you use?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Shawn Martin" > wrote in message
>> Kent bait:
>>
>> Grilled today on the exaust manfold of my weedeater.
>>
>> (Troll haunch(
>>

> grill, or griddle?
>
> what type of oil did you use?

10W-30

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 22, 8:25*am, "Shawn Martin" > wrote:
> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> > "Shawn Martin" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> * *Kent bait:

> >> Grilled today on the exaust manfold of my weedeater.

> >> (Troll haunch(

> > grill, or griddle?

> > what type of oil did you use?

> 10W-30

Rookie.

(cooking up 30+ lbs of butt today, 3 Costco packs, right now the beast
is warming up)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
> On Jan 22, 8:25 am, "Shawn Martin" > wrote:
>> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message

>> > "Shawn Martin" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> > grill, or griddle?

>> > what type of oil did you use?

>> 10W-30

> Rookie.
>
> (cooking up 30+ lbs of butt today, 3 Costco packs, right now the beast
> is warming up)

Looks like you are getting a late start on a heck of a big job.
I like smoking Pork butt, but at any one time, have only
done about half of what you are doing. I would have
tried to start about day light. Guess it depends on when
you want it to finish though.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 22, 9:39*am, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:
> "tutall" > wrote in message

> >> .. .

> >> 10W-30

> > Rookie.

> > (cooking up 30+ lbs of butt today, 3 Costco packs, right now the beast
> > is warming up)

> Looks like you are getting a late start on a heck of a big job.
> I like smoking Pork butt, but at any one time, have only
> done about half of what you are doing. *I would have
> tried to start about day light. *Guess it depends on when
> you want it to finish though.
> Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

Well, I am in California, the meat was a little before 9AM. With my
cooker haven't had butt take longer than 6 hours for a long time.
Temps are a bit lower today, so maybe 6-8 hours. Have had as short as
4 hours when using wood.

5lbs or 30 pounds makes little to no difference on cooking time. The
extra thermal mass just slows up the intial re-heat a bit.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jan-2011, tutall > wrote:

> On Jan 22, 8:25*am, "Shawn Martin" > wrote:
> > "Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> > > "Shawn Martin" > wrote in message
> > .. .

> > > grill, or griddle?

> > > what type of oil did you use?

> > 10W-30

> Rookie.
>
> (cooking up 30+ lbs of butt today, 3 Costco packs, right now the beast
> is warming up)

I used a pretty strong rub for several years and suddenly decided it was
to much. I changed to ordinary S&P + Garlic for the last run and was
gratified with the results. The KISS method strikes again. Output was
two butts and two spares. All excellent. Final note. Ribs don't much like
the microwave, but acceptable results can be obtained by
wrapping the ribs in parchment paper, butchers wrap or even news
paper and being gentle with the power. Avoid heating more then two
ribs in a single wrap as they won't heat evenly. Alternatively, any
number of ribs can be vacuum packed and heated in hot water with
good results.
--
Brick(It's been a dull week BBQ wise)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jan-2011, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:

> "tutall" > wrote in message

> >> .. .

> >> 10W-30

> > Rookie.
> >
> > (cooking up 30+ lbs of butt today, 3 Costco packs, right now the beast
> > is warming up)

> Looks like you are getting a late start on a heck of a big job.
> I like smoking Pork butt, but at any one time, have only
> done about half of what you are doing. I would have
> tried to start about day light. Guess it depends on when
> you want it to finish though.
> Bob-tx

That run would take about seven hours and 7-8 lbs of lump at my
house. Not a big deal. In a colder climate, it might need more fuel
then that in an offset like mine.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 22, 1:17*pm, wrote:

> I used a pretty strong rub for several years and suddenly decided it was
> to much. I changed to ordinary S&P + Garlic for the last run and was
> gratified with the results. The KISS method strikes again.

Heh, ever notice that every once in a while someone acts almost
insulted when you encourage them to try this. Or baldly state,
"usually just S&P and some smoke does it". It's as if their palate is
much too sophisticated for such a simple concept, or something. Or
thinking we're being lazy with our reply? Hiding BBQ secrets ? Kinda
funny anyway. I just hope some of em give it a try.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jan-2011, tutall > wrote:

> On Jan 22, 1:17*pm, wrote:
>
> > I used a pretty strong rub for several years and suddenly decided it was
> > to much. I changed to ordinary S&P + Garlic for the last run and was
> > gratified with the results. The KISS method strikes again.

> Heh, ever notice that every once in a while someone acts almost
> insulted when you encourage them to try this. Or baldly state,
> "usually just S&P and some smoke does it". It's as if their palate is
> much too sophisticated for such a simple concept, or something. Or
> thinking we're being lazy with our reply? Hiding BBQ secrets ? Kinda
> funny anyway. I just hope some of em give it a try.

Nearly forty years ago, I learned a great truth about "Cooking Secrets"
or "Secret Recipes". Given the original "Secret" recipe, I was still unable
to duplicate the taste and textute of the dish(s) I so desired to make.Did
you ever notice that no one ever seemed able to upstage "Grandma's"
apple pie or chicken as the case may be? In my case, it was ordinary
bean soup from the Golden Ox restaurant at the Kansas City stock
yards. There was nothing secret about it. They served it for lunch every
thursday like clockwork and they always had regulars that came just
on thursdays to sample that soup. I was one of them. That was in the
early '70's and I'm still trying to upstage that soup. I can't say that I
screwed it up. I just never achieved that lip smacking goodness that
kept me coming back weekafter week. Oh it was/is complicated alright:

Great Northern or Navy beans
salt pork
onion
garlic
tomato
water
S & P

--
Brick(Refusing to give up)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 22-Jan-2011, tutall > wrote:
>
>> On Jan 22, 1:17 pm, wrote:
>>
>> > I used a pretty strong rub for several years and suddenly decided it
>> > was
>> > to much. I changed to ordinary S&P + Garlic for the last run and was
>> > gratified with the results. The KISS method strikes again.

>> Heh, ever notice that every once in a while someone acts almost
>> insulted when you encourage them to try this. Or baldly state,
>> "usually just S&P and some smoke does it". It's as if their palate is
>> much too sophisticated for such a simple concept, or something. Or
>> thinking we're being lazy with our reply? Hiding BBQ secrets ? Kinda
>> funny anyway. I just hope some of em give it a try.

> Nearly forty years ago, I learned a great truth about "Cooking Secrets"
> or "Secret Recipes". Given the original "Secret" recipe, I was still
> unable
> to duplicate the taste and textute of the dish(s) I so desired to make.Did
> you ever notice that no one ever seemed able to upstage "Grandma's"
> apple pie or chicken as the case may be? In my case, it was ordinary
> bean soup from the Golden Ox restaurant at the Kansas City stock
> yards. There was nothing secret about it. They served it for lunch every
> thursday like clockwork and they always had regulars that came just
> on thursdays to sample that soup. I was one of them. That was in the
> early '70's and I'm still trying to upstage that soup. I can't say that I
> screwed it up. I just never achieved that lip smacking goodness that
> kept me coming back weekafter week. Oh it was/is complicated alright:
>
> Great Northern or Navy beans
> salt pork
> onion
> garlic
> tomato
> water
> S & P
>
> --
> Brick(Refusing to give up)

Well, It started a thread, anyway.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Jan 22, 9:39 am, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:
> "tutall" > wrote in message

> >> .. .

> >> 10W-30

> > Rookie.

> > (cooking up 30+ lbs of butt today, 3 Costco packs, right now the beast
> > is warming up)

> Looks like you are getting a late start on a heck of a big job.
> I like smoking Pork butt, but at any one time, have only
> done about half of what you are doing. I would have
> tried to start about day light. Guess it depends on when
> you want it to finish though.
> Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

Well, I am in California, the meat was a little before 9AM. With my
cooker haven't had butt take longer than 6 hours for a long time.
Temps are a bit lower today, so maybe 6-8 hours. Have had as short as
4 hours when using wood.

5lbs or 30 pounds makes little to no difference on cooking time. The
extra thermal mass just slows up the intial re-heat a bit.

A good point Tutall. Most recipes, as we know, say so many "minutes per
pound" of meat.
The cooking time is the amount of time it takes for the temp. to rise to the
center in the thickest part of the meat. That time would be the same for
one or multiple pork butts. As you say, that is if the capacity of the
cooking chamber to sustain a temp. is not affected by the amount of meat.
With fowl, it's that location in the meat where you want the maximal
temperature. In general, as we know, the minutes per pound cooking time for
fowl is pretty much accurate.

Kent