Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default The new Weber kettle ROCKS! Inaugural run was tonight :-)

Hey, guys!

You remember that Denny told you we ordered a Weber kettle for me? I
got my gorgeous dark blue 22.5 inch kettle a few days ago (yeah, so
I'm a girl. ;-) It's blue and it's gorgeous, and it was on sale
cheaper than any of the others (One Touch Gold, if anyone's curious).

So tonight I did pork chops and sausages on that baby, with lump and
some hickory chips added for flavoring just before the meat went on.
Denny's feeling poorly so I cooked without a consultant... Salt and
pepper only on the chops.

They were AWESOME!!! I *love* the way that sucker heats up and stays
hot! Could've used just a tad less pepper on the chops, but that was
the only improvement to be made. Denny even volunteered compliments,
and he doesn't *ever* lie about his opinions of cooking.

The Italian sausages were terrific, but I think for the brand of brat
I used I'd really rather simmer in beer and then grill 'em (cheap
store brand).

I am so converted to lump now. I want to play with the Smokey Joe
sometime when I need a little less kettle.

Thank you all for your help and encouragement, and thanks in advance
for all the new advice I'll need.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 20:07:01 -0700, Desideria wrote:

> You remember that Denny told you we ordered a Weber kettle for me?

Uh-huh. Just like that subscription to Playboy, too.

My friend just got his wife a pool table for her birthday. She's
probably only held a cue for less than 10 minutes her whole life.
(But in his defense, she does play pool on the computer a lot).

:-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 22:23:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 20:07:01 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>
>> You remember that Denny told you we ordered a Weber kettle for me?

>Uh-huh. Just like that subscription to Playboy, too.
>
>My friend just got his wife a pool table for her birthday. She's
>probably only held a cue for less than 10 minutes her whole life.
>(But in his defense, she does play pool on the computer a lot).
>
>:-)
>
>-sw

Ah. Slight difference here, Sqwertz. I already grill, I've wanted a
Weber kettle for a long time, and I paid for it. So there. :-P

and it's the subscription to Playgirl that I got *him*, silly!

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria > wrote:
> Hey, guys!
>
> You remember that Denny told you we ordered a Weber kettle for me? I
> got my gorgeous dark blue 22.5 inch kettle a few days ago (yeah, so
> I'm a girl. ;-) It's blue and it's gorgeous, and it was on sale
> cheaper than any of the others (One Touch Gold, if anyone's curious).
>
> So tonight I did pork chops and sausages on that baby, with lump and
> some hickory chips added for flavoring just before the meat went on.
> Denny's feeling poorly so I cooked without a consultant... Salt and
> pepper only on the chops.
>
> They were AWESOME!!! I *love* the way that sucker heats up and stays
> hot! Could've used just a tad less pepper on the chops, but that was
> the only improvement to be made. Denny even volunteered compliments,
> and he doesn't *ever* lie about his opinions of cooking.
>
> The Italian sausages were terrific, but I think for the brand of brat
> I used I'd really rather simmer in beer and then grill 'em (cheap
> store brand).
>
> I am so converted to lump now. I want to play with the Smokey Joe
> sometime when I need a little less kettle.
>
> Thank you all for your help and encouragement, and thanks in advance
> for all the new advice I'll need.

Too KEWL, Desi. Sounds like you done real good. Especially if the infirmed
Denny complimented you on it! You gonna start makin' yer own Italian
sausage?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 20:07:01 -0700, Desideria wrote:

> Hey, guys!
>
> You remember that Denny told you we ordered a Weber kettle for me? I got
> my gorgeous dark blue 22.5 inch kettle a few days ago (yeah, so I'm a
> girl. ;-) It's blue and it's gorgeous, and it was on sale cheaper than
> any of the others (One Touch Gold, if anyone's curious).

snip
> Desideria

Got some pics? sound nice!

--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 10:52:20 +0000 (UTC), piedmont > wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 20:07:01 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>
>> Hey, guys!
>>
>> You remember that Denny told you we ordered a Weber kettle for me? I got
>> my gorgeous dark blue 22.5 inch kettle a few days ago (yeah, so I'm a
>> girl. ;-) It's blue and it's gorgeous, and it was on sale cheaper than
>> any of the others (One Touch Gold, if anyone's curious).

>snip
>> Desideria

>Got some pics? sound nice!

Sorry, neglected to do that. Will get the camera out next time the
rain stops (it's pouring again today--I think our bit of ravine/woods
is an isolated outcrop of the Olympic Rain Forest...).

I did get up early and run to Wal-mart for 50# of Royal Oak lump.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/6/2010 11:48 AM, Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 10:52:20 +0000 (UTC), > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 20:07:01 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>>
>>> Hey, guys!
>>>
>>> You remember that Denny told you we ordered a Weber kettle for me? I got
>>> my gorgeous dark blue 22.5 inch kettle a few days ago (yeah, so I'm a
>>> girl. ;-) It's blue and it's gorgeous, and it was on sale cheaper than
>>> any of the others (One Touch Gold, if anyone's curious).

>> snip
>>> Desideria

>> Got some pics? sound nice!

> Sorry, neglected to do that. Will get the camera out next time the
> rain stops (it's pouring again today--I think our bit of ravine/woods
> is an isolated outcrop of the Olympic Rain Forest...).
>
> I did get up early and run to Wal-mart for 50# of Royal Oak lump.

50# bag of Royal Oak Lump? The large bag around here is 20# I think.
It's a big bag, but the weight is just 20#.

Will have to check the Walmart near me. I usually buy my lump at the
meat store.

Enjoy the rain !

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:04:44 -0500, bbq wrote:

> 50# bag of Royal Oak Lump? The large bag around here is 20# I think.
> It's a big bag, but the weight is just 20#.
>
> Will have to check the Walmart near me. I usually buy my lump at the
> meat store.

Our Walmarts here have never had any kind of lump at all. They
are firmly committed to less than mediocrity.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/6/2010 8:20 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:04:44 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> 50# bag of Royal Oak Lump? The large bag around here is 20# I think.
>> It's a big bag, but the weight is just 20#.
>>
>> Will have to check the Walmart near me. I usually buy my lump at the
>> meat store.

> Our Walmarts here have never had any kind of lump at all. They
> are firmly committed to less than mediocrity.
>
> -sw

Don't see lump in the big box stores often. Menards had a couple of
pallets last year around this time. Can't say I looked at Walmart
either. I don't shop there often.. I shop Target. I own a brick or 2 of
a target store, may as well give them the business I can to !!!

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

How much charcoal are you using for a grilling session like that? I find
that the lump burns hot, but often too quickly.

Lately I've been doing a full chimney of briquettes and then adding more
unlit fuel on top and letting it go for a few minutes before grilling.

Evan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 7, 9:18*am, <Evan D.> wrote:
> How much charcoal are you using for a grilling session like that? I find
> that the lump burns hot, but often too quickly.
>
> Lately I've been doing a full chimney of briquettes and then adding more
> unlit fuel on top and letting it go for a few minutes before grilling.
>
> Evan

I get an hour+ out of @1.50 Weber chimneys worth of lump. I could
probably use less, but this is the amount I use to grill chicken and
want a long high heat.

I add / subtract fuel more based on heat output and area coverage as
any amount is going to last plenty long enough for any normal grilling
purpose since most things grill in 20 minutes or less.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:04:44 -0500, bbq > wrote:

>On 6/6/2010 11:48 AM, Denny Wheeler wrote:

>> I did get up early and run to Wal-mart for 50# of Royal Oak lump.
>>

>50# bag of Royal Oak Lump? The large bag around here is 20# I think.
>It's a big bag, but the weight is just 20#.

Sorry, that's 5 bags, 10 lb each.

>Will have to check the Walmart near me. I usually buy my lump at the
>meat store.

My favorite butcher shop has Wicked Good and BGE lump, but spendy.

>Enjoy the rain !

With bronchitis, I enjoyed not being out in it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:18:41 -0400, <Evan D.> wrote:

>How much charcoal are you using for a grilling session like that? I find
>that the lump burns hot, but often too quickly.
>
>Lately I've been doing a full chimney of briquettes and then adding more
>unlit fuel on top and letting it go for a few minutes before grilling.

I'm not sure just how much she used--I was feeling poorly and mostly
was flopped on the bed. I think a couple chimneys' worth.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Jun-2010, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:04:44 -0500, bbq > wrote:
>
> >On 6/6/2010 11:48 AM, Denny Wheeler wrote:

> >> I did get up early and run to Wal-mart for 50# of Royal Oak lump.
> >>

> >50# bag of Royal Oak Lump? The large bag around here is 20# I think.
> >It's a big bag, but the weight is just 20#.

> Sorry, that's 5 bags, 10 lb each.
>
> >Will have to check the Walmart near me. I usually buy my lump at the
> >meat store.

> My favorite butcher shop has Wicked Good and BGE lump, but spendy.
>
> >Enjoy the rain !

> With bronchitis, I enjoyed not being out in it.

I've been getting some RO lump at my Wal Mart here (Tampa). It's about
$0.67/lb right now. Not exactly a steal, but not too bad a price for lump.
They are also 10 lb bags here.

--
Brick said that.

Weber Kettle: Cannot keep it hot enough [email protected] Barbecue 17 24-03-2007 02:47 AM
Dobro-Q from a Weber Kettle Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 1 08-12-2006 10:19 PM
Weber Kettle vs WSM [email protected] Barbecue 7 18-12-2004 07:38 PM
Weber Kettle as a smoker bbq Barbecue 6 21-12-2003 07:54 PM
Turkey in a Weber kettle Fran General Cooking 11 16-12-2003 09:15 PM