Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best All-Purpose Commercial Rub

McCormick (Schilling on the West coast) Montreal Steak Seasoning.
A 28oz jug from CostCo is under $6. Main ingredients are salt
(probably 30% or so by volume, where's Kent to do the defective
math?), garlic, pepper, mild red pepper, and a few other things -
I see dill seed in there, for one.

I always used to make a basic rub from the bulk spice section - 20
ounces at a time, but the MSS is more consistent, cheaper, has a
better "grain", and works excellent for beef right out of the jug.
I often use it for pork butts (but rarely spares(*), doctoring it
up with any other flavor I may be after.

Sosueme.

(*) Pork ribs, often Old Bay, granulated pepper(**), and salt.
(**) Not fine, but not coarse either. Somewhere in between.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 2, 7:21*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> McCormick (Schilling on the West coast) Montreal Steak Seasoning.
> A 28oz jug from CostCo is under $6. *Main ingredients are salt
> (probably 30% or so by volume, where's Kent to do the defective
> math?), garlic, pepper, mild red pepper, and a few other things -
> I see dill seed in there, for one.
>
> I always used to make a basic rub from the bulk spice section - 20
> ounces at a time, but the MSS is more consistent, cheaper, has a
> better "grain", and works excellent for beef right out of the jug.
> I often use it for pork butts (but rarely spares(*), doctoring it
> up with any other flavor I may be after.
>
> Sosueme.
>
> (*) Pork ribs, often Old Bay, granulated pepper(**), and salt.
> (**) Not fine, but not coarse either. *Somewhere in between.
>
> -sw

I use Club House brand MSS on ~80% the meat I cook outdoors. I might
add chilis, mustard powder, turmeric, cumin, Old Bay &c depending on
my mood but MSS is a fantastic base for any meat.

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:58:13 -0500, Cam > wrote:

> On Jun 2, 7:21 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> McCormick (Schilling on the West coast) Montreal Steak Seasoning.
>> A 28oz jug from CostCo is under $6. Main ingredients are salt
>> (probably 30% or so by volume, where's Kent to do the defective
>> math?), garlic, pepper, mild red pepper, and a few other things -
>> I see dill seed in there, for one.
>>
>> I always used to make a basic rub from the bulk spice section - 20
>> ounces at a time, but the MSS is more consistent, cheaper, has a
>> better "grain", and works excellent for beef right out of the jug.
>> I often use it for pork butts (but rarely spares(*), doctoring it
>> up with any other flavor I may be after.
>>
>> Sosueme.
>>
>> (*) Pork ribs, often Old Bay, granulated pepper(**), and salt.
>> (**) Not fine, but not coarse either. Somewhere in between.
>>
>> -sw

> I use Club House brand MSS on ~80% the meat I cook outdoors. I might
> add chilis, mustard powder, turmeric, cumin, Old Bay &c depending on
> my mood but MSS is a fantastic base for any meat.

Club House MSS is the same as McCormick Montreal Steak here in the US,
right? I agree, it's a pretty universal blend working (with some
additions) on everything except seafood in my opinion.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:58:13 -0700 (PDT), Cam wrote:

> I use Club House brand MSS on ~80% the meat I cook outdoors. I might
> add chilis, mustard powder, turmeric, cumin, Old Bay &c depending on
> my mood but MSS is a fantastic base for any meat.

Thank you for support. I'd bet the store branded MSS's are
practically the same. Cumin, chiles and Old Bay ARE the best
additions, hands down.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:21:52 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>McCormick (Schilling on the West coast) Montreal Steak Seasoning.
>A 28oz jug from CostCo is under $6. Main ingredients are salt
>(probably 30% or so by volume, where's Kent to do the defective
>math?), garlic, pepper, mild red pepper, and a few other things -
>I see dill seed in there, for one.
>
>I always used to make a basic rub from the bulk spice section - 20
>ounces at a time, but the MSS is more consistent, cheaper, has a
>better "grain", and works excellent for beef right out of the jug.
>I often use it for pork butts (but rarely spares(*), doctoring it
>up with any other flavor I may be after.
>
>Sosueme.
>
>(*) Pork ribs, often Old Bay, granulated pepper(**), and salt.
>(**) Not fine, but not coarse either. Somewhere in between.
>
>-sw

I won't claim it to be the best, but Penzey's has a "Barbecue of the
Americas" rub that is pretty good.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze..._americas.html

I've tried to reverse engineer it and have never really gotten close.
I've used it on ribs and pork butt and have liked the results. I feel
like I'd be a better person if I mixed my own, but I've never found
anything I liked as much as theirs. Just my two cents.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/5/2010 7:21 PM, Radar wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:21:52 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> McCormick (Schilling on the West coast) Montreal Steak Seasoning.
>> A 28oz jug from CostCo is under $6. Main ingredients are salt
>> (probably 30% or so by volume, where's Kent to do the defective
>> math?), garlic, pepper, mild red pepper, and a few other things -
>> I see dill seed in there, for one.
>>
>> I always used to make a basic rub from the bulk spice section - 20
>> ounces at a time, but the MSS is more consistent, cheaper, has a
>> better "grain", and works excellent for beef right out of the jug.
>> I often use it for pork butts (but rarely spares(*), doctoring it
>> up with any other flavor I may be after.
>>
>> Sosueme.
>>
>> (*) Pork ribs, often Old Bay, granulated pepper(**), and salt.
>> (**) Not fine, but not coarse either. Somewhere in between.
>>
>> -sw

> I won't claim it to be the best, but Penzey's has a "Barbecue of the
> Americas" rub that is pretty good.
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze..._americas.html
>
> I've tried to reverse engineer it and have never really gotten close.
> I've used it on ribs and pork butt and have liked the results. I feel
> like I'd be a better person if I mixed my own, but I've never found
> anything I liked as much as theirs. Just my two cents.

It's the salt you're liking maybe. Commercial rubs and seasonings
typically are heavy in salt. That's why I like to make my own. I
recently developed a Hash Brown Seasoning and it contains ZERO salt,
unless there is salt in the raw ingredients I use.

It is not reversed engineered from anything any thing commercial.

Probably good for steaks to. As a rub on a pork butt or brisket, I
would probably add other stuff to it.

Very pleasant and flavorful. Not spicy IMO, but crushed red pepper is
included for a little kick ..

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bbq" > wrote

>> I won't claim it to be the best, but Penzey's has a "Barbecue of the
>> Americas" rub that is pretty good.
>>
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze..._americas.html
>>
>> I've tried to reverse engineer it and have never really gotten close.
>> I've used it on ribs and pork butt and have liked the results. I feel
>> like I'd be a better person if I mixed my own, but I've never found
>> anything I liked as much as theirs. Just my two cents.

> It's the salt you're liking maybe. Commercial rubs and seasonings
> typically are heavy in salt.

Some are lower in salt and some have none. To make a statement that someone
likes the salt has a touch of snobbery to it, IMO. I happen to like this
one too
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...soldworld.html

That's why I like to make my own. I
> recently developed a Hash Brown Seasoning and it contains ZERO salt,
> unless there is salt in the raw ingredients I use.
>
> It is not reversed engineered from anything any thing commercial.

Good for you.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 23:46:45 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"bbq" > wrote
>>>
>>> I won't claim it to be the best, but Penzey's has a "Barbecue of the
>>> Americas" rub that is pretty good.
>>>
>>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze..._americas.html
>>>
>>> I've tried to reverse engineer it and have never really gotten close.
>>> I've used it on ribs and pork butt and have liked the results. I feel
>>> like I'd be a better person if I mixed my own, but I've never found
>>> anything I liked as much as theirs. Just my two cents.

>> It's the salt you're liking maybe. Commercial rubs and seasonings
>> typically are heavy in salt.

>Some are lower in salt and some have none. To make a statement that someone
>likes the salt has a touch of snobbery to it, IMO. I happen to like this
>one too
>http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...soldworld.html
>

>That's why I like to make my own. I
>> recently developed a Hash Brown Seasoning and it contains ZERO salt,
>> unless there is salt in the raw ingredients I use.
>>
>> It is not reversed engineered from anything any thing commercial.

>Good for you.

That one sounds nice too. I actually don't really care for a high-salt
rub, given high blood pressure issues and such. I'll order some of
this the next time I do business with Penzey's. Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 21:14:42 -0500, bbq > wrote:

>On 6/5/2010 7:21 PM, Radar wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:21:52 -0500, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> McCormick (Schilling on the West coast) Montreal Steak Seasoning.
>>> A 28oz jug from CostCo is under $6. Main ingredients are salt
>>> (probably 30% or so by volume, where's Kent to do the defective
>>> math?), garlic, pepper, mild red pepper, and a few other things -
>>> I see dill seed in there, for one.
>>>
>>> I always used to make a basic rub from the bulk spice section - 20
>>> ounces at a time, but the MSS is more consistent, cheaper, has a
>>> better "grain", and works excellent for beef right out of the jug.
>>> I often use it for pork butts (but rarely spares(*), doctoring it
>>> up with any other flavor I may be after.
>>>
>>> Sosueme.
>>>
>>> (*) Pork ribs, often Old Bay, granulated pepper(**), and salt.
>>> (**) Not fine, but not coarse either. Somewhere in between.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I won't claim it to be the best, but Penzey's has a "Barbecue of the
>> Americas" rub that is pretty good.
>>
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze..._americas.html
>>
>> I've tried to reverse engineer it and have never really gotten close.
>> I've used it on ribs and pork butt and have liked the results. I feel
>> like I'd be a better person if I mixed my own, but I've never found
>> anything I liked as much as theirs. Just my two cents.

>It's the salt you're liking maybe. Commercial rubs and seasonings
>typically are heavy in salt. That's why I like to make my own. I
>recently developed a Hash Brown Seasoning and it contains ZERO salt,
>unless there is salt in the raw ingredients I use.
>
>It is not reversed engineered from anything any thing commercial.
>
>Probably good for steaks to. As a rub on a pork butt or brisket, I
>would probably add other stuff to it.
>
>Very pleasant and flavorful. Not spicy IMO, but crushed red pepper is
>included for a little kick ..
>
>BBQ

That could be, I guess. Tell me more about the rub you use.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Jun-2010, Radar > wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:21:52 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >McCormick (Schilling on the West coast) Montreal Steak Seasoning.
> >A 28oz jug from CostCo is under $6. Main ingredients are salt
> >(probably 30% or so by volume, where's Kent to do the defective
> >math?), garlic, pepper, mild red pepper, and a few other things -
> >I see dill seed in there, for one.
> >
> >I always used to make a basic rub from the bulk spice section - 20
> >ounces at a time, but the MSS is more consistent, cheaper, has a
> >better "grain", and works excellent for beef right out of the jug.
> >I often use it for pork butts (but rarely spares(*), doctoring it
> >up with any other flavor I may be after.
> >
> >Sosueme.
> >
> >(*) Pork ribs, often Old Bay, granulated pepper(**), and salt.
> >(**) Not fine, but not coarse either. Somewhere in between.
> >
> >-sw

> I won't claim it to be the best, but Penzey's has a "Barbecue of the
> Americas" rub that is pretty good.
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze..._americas.html
>
> I've tried to reverse engineer it and have never really gotten close.
> I've used it on ribs and pork butt and have liked the results. I feel
> like I'd be a better person if I mixed my own, but I've never found
> anything I liked as much as theirs. Just my two cents.

Barbecue of the Americas (Penzey's)
Hand mixed from: Coarse Kosher Flake Salt, Paprika, Jamaican Allspice,
Cayenne Red Pepper, Nutmeg, Black Pepper, Thyme, Ginger, White
Pepper, Korintje Cinnamon.

--
Brick (The democracy will cease to exist
when you take away from those

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Jun-2010, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "bbq" > wrote

.. . .

> Some are lower in salt and some have none. To make a statement that
> someone
> likes the salt has a touch of snobbery to it, IMO. I happen to like
> this
> one too
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...soldworld.html

That sounds good Ed. I'm going to order some of that and give it a
try.

--
Brick (Looking for a good all around spice blend)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote
>> I happen to like
>> this
>> one too
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...soldworld.html
>>

> That sounds good Ed. I'm going to order some of that and give it a
> try.

I bought a 4 oz to try and we just bought 8 oz. more last trip to the store.
Good on chicken, roasted potatoes, and I used some on country ribs in the
smoker last week.

I mix some rubs myself, but the pros come up with combinations and portions
that can be just exquisite. I have no problem using (and paying for) the
work of professionals. Not much different that paying for tire rotation or
oil change even though you can do it yourself cheaper.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/6/2010 12:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I bought a 4 oz to try and we just bought 8 oz. more last trip to the
> store. Good on chicken, roasted potatoes, and I used some on country
> ribs in the smoker last week.
>
> I mix some rubs myself, but the pros come up with combinations and
> portions that can be just exquisite. I have no problem using (and paying
> for) the work of professionals. Not much different that paying for tire
> rotation or oil change even though you can do it yourself cheaper.

"oil change even though you can do it yourself cheaper."

Sometimes if you get a special, the cost is so cheap compared to
purchasing the items and doing it yourself. The additional cost to have
it done might be $10. And you save all that time, so you can tend to
other things, like queuing!!

I am sure you have seen it around, The man's way of changing oil and the
woman's way. The woman's way is take it to the shop, wait 30 minutes,
write a check and be done.

The man's way, takes all day because of a comedy of errors.

I do it the woman's way to!!

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> On 6/6/2010 12:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

> > I bought a 4 oz to try and we just bought 8 oz. more last trip to the
> > store. Good on chicken, roasted potatoes, and I used some on country
> > ribs in the smoker last week.
> >
> > I mix some rubs myself, but the pros come up with combinations and
> > portions that can be just exquisite. I have no problem using (and paying
> > for) the work of professionals. Not much different that paying for tire
> > rotation or oil change even though you can do it yourself cheaper.

> "oil change even though you can do it yourself cheaper."
>
> Sometimes if you get a special, the cost is so cheap compared to
> purchasing the items and doing it yourself. The additional cost to have
> it done might be $10. And you save all that time, so you can tend to
> other things, like queuing!!
>
> I am sure you have seen it around, The man's way of changing oil and the
> woman's way. The woman's way is take it to the shop, wait 30 minutes,
> write a check and be done.
>
> The man's way, takes all day because of a comedy of errors.
>
> I do it the woman's way to!!
>
> BBQ

I pay Penzoil (a local oil change place) to do it because they do more
than change the oil. They do full PM on my truck including the air in
the tires, air filters, other engine fluids and bearing greasing.

It's more than worth what I pay. :-)

They even do a battery check and saved me from having to possibly deal
with a dead battery during the last cold spell...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/6/2010 12:30 AM, Radar wrote:

>> It is not reversed engineered from anything any thing commercial.
>>
>> Probably good for steaks to. As a rub on a pork butt or brisket, I
>> would probably add other stuff to it.
>>
>> Very pleasant and flavorful. Not spicy IMO, but crushed red pepper is
>> included for a little kick ..
>>
>> BBQ

> That could be, I guess. Tell me more about the rub you use.

The hash brown seasoning is:

1 tbsp Thyme
1 tbsp Rosemary
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp Red Pepper

If I were to use this as a rub, I would add Paprika and some kind of
chili pepper to. Haven't tried it as a rub yet, so not sure of amounts,
probably 1 tbsp of each.

Have never used Thyme or Rosemary in a rub before that I can recall, so
it might be a bit different. But is very good on diced hash browns
cooked in EVOO. About 2 tsp for a large russet..

BBQ

The Purpose of Life Islam2010 Diabetic 0 20-04-2010 01:05 PM
Pastries with a Purpose! LAG Tea 0 26-02-2010 09:04 PM
All-Purpose Cookies (Ice Box) Terry Pogue Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2010 03:00 AM
What Is The Purpose Of This Pan? Lou Decruss[_2_] General Cooking 44 03-04-2008 08:58 PM
All-Purpose Grilling Rub Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-07-2004 11:23 PM