Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoke somthin'!

I got a whole pre-cooked ham and a buncha vac-pac corned beef. I know
the ham can be smoked to good effect, but howzabout the c-beef. Open
to suggestions.

nb
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I got a whole pre-cooked ham and a buncha vac-pac corned beef. I know
> the ham can be smoked to good effect, but howzabout the c-beef. Open
> to suggestions.
>
> nb

Rinse or soak the CB to get rid of excess salt. Rub with cracked coriander,
garlic, pickling spices. Smoke to tender Better than any store bought
pastrami you'll ever find.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2010-05-30, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Rinse or soak the CB to get rid of excess salt. Rub with cracked coriander,
> garlic, pickling spices. Smoke to tender Better than any store bought
> pastrami you'll ever find.

Sounds good, Ed. I'll crush and use the included coriander/etc spice
pack. Currently, I only have an el-cheapo smokey clone and limited
charcoal. Approx how long and at what temp for this pre-corned point?
Thnx.

nb
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2010-05-30, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> Rinse or soak the CB to get rid of excess salt. Rub with cracked
>> coriander,
>> garlic, pickling spices. Smoke to tender Better than any store bought
>> pastrami you'll ever find.

> Sounds good, Ed. I'll crush and use the included coriander/etc spice
> pack. Currently, I only have an el-cheapo smokey clone and limited
> charcoal. Approx how long and at what temp for this pre-corned point?
> Thnx.
>
> nb

I'd do it like any brisket. When it hits 180 it is done. I usually smoke
it at 275 or so. I've not tried a store bought beef though, usually corn
my own briskets and cook one as a pastrami while smoking a brisket.

How do I make my own corned beef?

For best results, use trimmed briskets.

Start with a curing brine. This recipe makes enough for 25 lbs of meat.

5 quarts ice water (about 38-40F)
8 oz. salt
3 oz. Prague Powder #1
3 oz. powdered dextrose

Spray pump the briskets to about 12-15% of their original weight. After
pumping, the briskets are packed in a vat, and sprinkled with whole pickling
spice. If more than one brisket is done at a time, pack them flesh to flesh
with the fat sides out. Add enough brine to cover and allow to cure for 3-4
days at 38-40F. The meat is then ready to use (but still requires cooking).

What is pastrami and how do I make my own?

For best results, use trimmed briskets.

Start with a curing brine. This makes enough for 25 lbs of meat.

5 quarts ice water (about 38-40F)
8 oz. salt
5 oz. Prague Powder #1
5 oz. powdered dextrose
1 Tb garlic juice

Prepare and cure as for corned beef.

After curing, remove from brine and rub liberally with cracked black pepper
and coriander seeds.

Smoke at 140F until the meat is dry and then increase smoker temperature to
200-220F and hold until internal temperature of meat reaches 170-180F.

Chill overnight before using. This meat is fully cooked.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-May-2010, notbob > wrote:

> I got a whole pre-cooked ham and a buncha vac-pac corned beef. I know
> the ham can be smoked to good effect, but howzabout the c-beef. Open
> to suggestions.
>
> nb

Good corned beef don't need any help. If you want good pastrami you
might want to corn your own beef first. You can smoke that store stuff
though. Smoke is slow with minimal smoke. I don't know about the
finish temp. Have to ask someone else for that.

--
Brick (The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not.( Thomas Jefferson)

EZ Q or, why I only smoke one way now Gene Barbecue 43 23-12-2010 08:28 PM
up in smoke Aussie1[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-12-2010 10:21 PM
What to smoke first? Christine Dabney General Cooking 74 14-07-2007 11:17 PM
too much smoke Piedmont Barbecue 4 29-05-2005 03:22 AM
What to smoke for the first try Dirty Harry Barbecue 69 29-05-2004 04:33 PM