Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default EZ Q or, why I only smoke one way now

Had all kinds of set ups. Off set, propane fired, charcoal bullet
water, Webber kettle, and electric. Loaned out stuff and ended up
with only my electric.

This past summer I smoked only in the electric Smoke Hollow. Did ribs.
Beef, pork spares, and baby backs. Pork shoulder, loin, chickens,
chuck roasts.....and corn on the cob, among other things.

I'm not out to sell the Smoke Hollow. Plenty of better electric
smokers out there to be sure. But it is double walled and insolated.
The thermostat works well for a dial. Oh, and the price was right.

I fill the wood pan with wood chips (dry). Fill the water pan with
sand and cover with foil for easy clean up. But I learned that sand is
not needed as the thermostat does a good job and I don't seem to have
temp spikes. Guess I do it out of force of habit.

I do place a pan on the lowest rack to catch the drippings and I do
add a tad bit of water (1/2 inch) to keep the drippings from scorching
(but not to add moisture or act as any kind of a heat sink).

EZ-Q for sure. But the results are great and I do not have to tend a
fire any more.

The only time I would go back to an off set is if I had to do lots of
Q or to do a whole hog. No need to do either anymore.

I still make my own rubs and do all the prep.. I just don't have to
tend the fire and play the sand, water, foil, kryptonite, and what
ever game anymore.

Still low an slow......

Gene

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 8, 6:37*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> *Gene > wrote:
> > Had all kinds of set ups. Off set, propane fired, charcoal bullet
> > water, Webber kettle, and electric. *Loaned out stuff and ended up
> > with only my electric.

> > This past summer I smoked only in the electric Smoke Hollow. Did ribs.
> > Beef, pork spares, and baby backs. Pork shoulder, loin, chickens,
> > chuck roasts.....and corn on the cob, among other things.

> > I'm not out to sell the Smoke Hollow. Plenty of better electric
> > smokers out there to be sure. But it is double walled and insolated.
> > The thermostat works well for a dial. Oh, and the price was right.

> > I fill the wood pan with wood chips (dry). Fill the water pan with
> > sand and cover with foil for easy clean up. But I learned that sand is
> > not needed as the thermostat does a good job and I don't seem to have
> > temp spikes. Guess I do it out of force of habit.

> > I do place a pan on the lowest rack to catch the drippings and I do
> > add a tad bit of water (1/2 inch) to keep the drippings from scorching
> > (but not to add moisture or act as any kind of a heat sink).

> > EZ-Q for sure. But the results are great and I do not have to tend a
> > fire any more.

> > The only time I would go back to an off set is if I had to do lots of
> > Q or to do a whole hog. No need to do either anymore.

> > I still make my own rubs and do all the prep.. I just don't have to
> > tend the fire and play the sand, water, foil, kryptonite, and what
> > ever game anymore.

> > Still low an slow......

> > Gene

> So how much does one of those cost, and do you have pics? :-)
> --

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...3670a0bfdbd9ad

HtH <rollseyes>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>How low can that unit run, low enough for cold smoking?
>
>MartyB

I don't know as I have never tried it. I could guess but that would do
no good. I have to test it out some day.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>So how much does one of those cost, and do you have pics? :-)

My model is a few years old. Paid about $175 for it.

Newer model is about $200. It only has 2 racks (not 3 like mine) and
has a different door latch (mine is magnetic).

Pics at http://www.olp-inc.com/smoke-hollow-smokers.php

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 19:41:07 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Gene > wrote:
>
>> snip
>> >So how much does one of those cost, and do you have pics? :-)

>> My model is a few years old. Paid about $175 for it.
>>
>> Newer model is about $200. It only has 2 racks (not 3 like mine) and
>> has a different door latch (mine is magnetic).
>>
>> Pics at http://www.olp-inc.com/smoke-hollow-smokers.php

>Looks interesting. :-)
>
>I've been wanting to try smoking cheese for Christmas gifts. An
>alternative for me would be to build a small smoke chamber and run a
>conduit off the chimney from my offset.
>
>Thanks!

As I said before, I have no idea if this can cold smoke. Ann would say
I am much better at "cutting the cheese" than anything else

Your idea sounds interesting. Cheese is so expensive that it would be
cheaper to smoke them almost anything else as a gift!

To cold smoke, what are we looking at? 150 degrees or so?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> Your idea sounds interesting. Cheese is so expensive that it would be
>> cheaper to smoke them almost anything else as a gift!

> Yeah. Runs close to $4.00 per lb. depending on the cheese. Sis' and I
> made roast beef and brie sandwiches yesterday and paid $14.00 per lb.
> for the most delightful squishy runny brie! <drool> It was delightful.
> I'd probably do Jack, Cheddar and maybe some Parm' or other firm cheeses.
>>
>> To cold smoke, what are we looking at? 150 degrees or so?

> Or less! Anything low enough to keep them from melting! A cardboard
> chamber has been suggested. I can get thick styrofoam but am not sure
> that would be such a good idea.
>
> I guess it depends on the length of the conduit, and I could always ice
> it.
> --

I would say you should stay below 80 degrees.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 20:16:38 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>> >Looks interesting. :-)
>> >
>> >I've been wanting to try smoking cheese for Christmas gifts. An
>> >alternative for me would be to build a small smoke chamber and run a
>> >conduit off the chimney from my offset.
>> >
>> >Thanks!

>> As I said before, I have no idea if this can cold smoke. Ann would say
>> I am much better at "cutting the cheese" than anything else

><snicker> Not the gaseous emission I was looking for, thanks. ;-p
>>
>> Your idea sounds interesting. Cheese is so expensive that it would be
>> cheaper to smoke them almost anything else as a gift!

>Yeah. Runs close to $4.00 per lb. depending on the cheese. Sis' and I
>made roast beef and brie sandwiches yesterday and paid $14.00 per lb.
>for the most delightful squishy runny brie! <drool> It was delightful.
>I'd probably do Jack, Cheddar and maybe some Parm' or other firm cheeses.
>>
>> To cold smoke, what are we looking at? 150 degrees or so?

>Or less! Anything low enough to keep them from melting! A cardboard
>chamber has been suggested. I can get thick styrofoam but am not sure
>that would be such a good idea.
>
>I guess it depends on the length of the conduit, and I could always ice
>it.

Did some checkin....80-90 degrees I guess.

How bout A cardboard box, some wood chips, and a hot plate?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/8/2010 7:56 PM, Gene wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 19:41:07 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> snip
>>>
>>> My model is a few years old. Paid about $175 for it.
>>>
>>> Newer model is about $200. It only has 2 racks (not 3 like mine) and
>>> has a different door latch (mine is magnetic).
>>>
>>> Pics at http://www.olp-inc.com/smoke-hollow-smokers.php

>> Looks interesting. :-)
>>
>> I've been wanting to try smoking cheese for Christmas gifts. An
>> alternative for me would be to build a small smoke chamber and run a
>> conduit off the chimney from my offset.
>>
>> Thanks!

> As I said before, I have no idea if this can cold smoke. Ann would say
> I am much better at "cutting the cheese" than anything else
>
> Your idea sounds interesting. Cheese is so expensive that it would be
> cheaper to smoke them almost anything else as a gift!
>
> To cold smoke, what are we looking at? 150 degrees or so?

For cheese, less then 100°. Around 80° is best.

BBQ

--
Please vote for me

http://wahlnation.com/Vote/23131

I had my pic taken at the fair by Wahl, makers of hair/mustache
trimmers. This link should take you to a pic of me wearing sunglasses.
You can vote for me once each day, until some time in October. I can
win a 42 inch TV or an MP3 Player.

You may have to register a user name, which can be an e-mail address.
You can use an e-mail address you no longer check. And you can use a
different browser to vote for me twice in 1 day. Chicago Style voting
is acceptable in this. Vote Early, Vote often :-)
Thanks, Rick
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article
> >,

>> > So how much does one of those cost, and do you have pics? :-)
>> > --

>> http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...moker& aq=f&a
>> qi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs rfai=&pbx=1&fp=f73670a0bfdbd9ad
>>
>> HtH <rollseyes>

> <rolls eyes back at Tutall>
>
> I was more interested in opinions from a person here that has USED one,
> not from google search results goof. ;-)
> --
> Peace! Om

What you're asking is what this and other NGs are all about. Tutall, above,
doesn't understand that. I'd like to know from a real person who has been
through the process.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 07:07:17 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:
>
>> On Oct 8, 6:37 am, Omelet > wrote:
>>
>>> So how much does one of those cost, and do you have pics? :-)

>> http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...3670a0bfdbd9ad
>>
>> HtH <rollseyes>

> Some people still like to be spoonfed. Don't fall for it. She's been
> doing this for years and people accommodate her. So she keeps on
> doing it.
>
> -sw

And, Sqwertz, this is just what we would expect from you. Om asks good
questions, and deserves something other than your snot.
This is not a troll. You needn't respond.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 8, 5:38*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,

> > > So how much does one of those cost, and do you have pics? :-)
> > > --

> >http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...+electric+smok...
> > qi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs rfai=&pbx=1&fp=f73670a0bfdbd9ad

> > HtH <rollseyes>

> <rolls eyes back at Tutall>
>
> I was more interested in opinions from a person here that has USED one,
> not from google search results goof. ;-)
> --

How would the cost differ?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...3670a0bfdbd9ad
>>>
>>> HtH <rollseyes>

>> Some people still like to be spoonfed. Don't fall for it. She's been
>> doing this for years and people accommodate her. So she keeps on
>> doing it.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> And, Sqwertz, this is just what we would expect from you. Om asks good
> questions, and deserves something other than your snot.
> This is not a troll. You needn't respond.
>
> Kent

"Om" is the stupidest thing that has ever graced the walls of
alt.food.barbecue. Yes, even stupider than you are Kent. Just read her
posts. She is a complete idiot.

Now, I am sure that I will be accused of being a squertz sock, but I can
assure you that I am not. I am following the last request of a dearly
departed member of another group (she thought that it would be hilarious if
everyone signed their posts the same way) when I sign my post as...

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article
>> >,

>>> http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...moker& aq=f&a
>>> qi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs rfai=&pbx=1&fp=f73670a0bfdbd9ad
>>>
>>> HtH <rollseyes>

>> <rolls eyes back at Tutall>
>>
>> I was more interested in opinions from a person here that has USED one,
>> not from google search results goof. ;-)
>> --
>> Peace! Om
>>

> What you're asking is what this and other NGs are all about. Tutall,
> above, doesn't understand that. I'd like to know from a real person who
> has been through the process.
>
> Kent

Then why-the-****- DIDN'T she ask that question in the first place???????

See? She really is stupider than you ever were.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 9, 9:24*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> I know for a fact that the REAL Steve Wertz died two years ago, but
> his socks will live on forever!

Just need to run them through the dryer, half of them will dissapear.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bbq" > wrote in message
> On 10/8/2010 7:56 PM, Gene wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 19:41:07 -0500, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In >,

>>> Looks interesting. :-)
>>>
>>> I've been wanting to try smoking cheese for Christmas gifts. An
>>> alternative for me would be to build a small smoke chamber and run a
>>> conduit off the chimney from my offset.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> As I said before, I have no idea if this can cold smoke. Ann would say
>> I am much better at "cutting the cheese" than anything else
>>
>> Your idea sounds interesting. Cheese is so expensive that it would be
>> cheaper to smoke them almost anything else as a gift!
>>
>> To cold smoke, what are we looking at? 150 degrees or so?
>>

> For cheese, less then 100°. Around 80° is best.
>
> BBQ

The last time I smoked salmon at 100F it cooked the salmon too much. I was
trying to add smoke to gravlax. I think it should be, as you say, almost
room temperature. The next time I try to make smoked salmon I'm going to add
a bit of liquid smoke to the cure for gravlax. A Norwegian lady at the local
fish market told me she does that.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/09/2010 09:16 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> There's no reason somebody has to post to
> Usenet stupid questions that can be answered by a simple Google
> search. And anybody in their right mind would agree.

At what point did you ever have a "right mind"?

> She does this all the time - she doesn't use her brain and expects
> somebody else to do it for her.

Communication, it's a bitch ain't it?

> And she doesn't even have any intention of buying a new smoker

How long have you been psychic?

> and couldn't care less about the answers to the questions she asks.

This sounds like a personal spite-fest.

Which you always seem to be into...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/08/2010 07:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 07:07:17 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:
>
>> On Oct 8, 6:37 am, > wrote:
>>
>>> So how much does one of those cost, and do you have pics? :-)

>> http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...3670a0bfdbd9ad
>>
>> HtH<rollseyes>

> Some people still like to be spoonfed.

Some people seem to still be on the bottle...

> Don't fall for it. She's been
> doing this for years and people accommodate her. So she keeps on
> doing it.
>
> -sw

Asking relevant topical questions?

Scandalous!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/09/2010 04:53 AM, BigBadBubba wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> Some people still like to be spoonfed. Don't fall for it. She's been
>>> doing this for years and people accommodate her. So she keeps on
>>> doing it.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> And, Sqwertz, this is just what we would expect from you. Om asks good
>> questions, and deserves something other than your snot.
>> This is not a troll. You needn't respond.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> "Om" is the stupidest thing that has ever graced the walls of
> alt.food.barbecue. Yes, even stupider than you are Kent. Just read her
> posts. She is a complete idiot.
>
> Now, I am sure that I will be accused of being a squertz sock, but I can
> assure you that I am not. I am following the last request of a dearly
> departed member of another group (she thought that it would be hilarious if
> everyone signed their posts the same way) when I sign my post as...
>
> -sw

How about you just disappear.

You add nothing of value here anyway.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/09/2010 04:55 AM, BigBadBubba wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> news
>>> In article

>>> <rolls eyes back at Tutall>
>>>
>>> I was more interested in opinions from a person here that has USED one,
>>> not from google search results goof. ;-)
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om
>>>

>> What you're asking is what this and other NGs are all about. Tutall,
>> above, doesn't understand that. I'd like to know from a real person who
>> has been through the process.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> Then why-the-****- DIDN'T she ask that question in the first place???????
>
> See? She really is stupider than you ever were.
>
> -sw

But for pure 100% prime asshole there is you.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/12/2010 03:49 PM, Omelet wrote:

>>> Then why-the-****- DIDN'T she ask that question in the first place???????
>>>
>>> See? She really is stupider than you ever were.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> But for pure 100% prime asshole there is you.

> I wonder if prime asshole would be better boiled to get the shit out of
> it before you BBQ'd it?
>
> ;-)

<gag!>

Prolly...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/13/2010 10:29 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/12/2010 03:49 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> I wonder if prime asshole would be better boiled to get the shit out of
>>> it before you BBQ'd it?
>>>
>>> ;-)

>> <gag!>
>>
>> Prolly...

> Think CHITTERLINGS!!!
>
> <eg>

LOL, the scale makes me queasy...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cleatarrior" > wrote in message

>>> And, Sqwertz, this is just what we would expect from you. Om asks good
>>> questions, and deserves something other than your snot.
>>> This is not a troll. You needn't respond.
>>>
>>> Kent
>>>

>> "Om" is the stupidest thing that has ever graced the walls of
>> alt.food.barbecue. Yes, even stupider than you are Kent. Just read her
>> posts. She is a complete idiot.
>>
>> Now, I am sure that I will be accused of being a squertz sock, but I can
>> assure you that I am not. I am following the last request of a dearly
>> departed member of another group (she thought that it would be hilarious
>> if
>> everyone signed their posts the same way) when I sign my post as...
>>
>> -sw

> How about you just disappear.
>
> You add nothing of value here anyway.

This? Coming from you? You add slightly more than, well, there are three
that come to mind.....but only 3

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/18/2010 03:08 PM, BigBadBubba wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> "Om" is the stupidest thing that has ever graced the walls of
>>> alt.food.barbecue. Yes, even stupider than you are Kent. Just read her
>>> posts. She is a complete idiot.
>>>
>>> Now, I am sure that I will be accused of being a squertz sock, but I can
>>> assure you that I am not. I am following the last request of a dearly
>>> departed member of another group (she thought that it would be hilarious
>>> if
>>> everyone signed their posts the same way) when I sign my post as...
>>>
>>> -sw

>> How about you just disappear.
>>
>> You add nothing of value here anyway.

> This? Coming from you? You add slightly more than, well, there are three
> that come to mind.....but only 3

Point being, all the infighting does is trash the froup....just sayin...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

can you compare this el to others if you know about them, I think i know
which one i want but am open until day of purchase... and truth is, one
thing i have learned from our house fire is, i don't get it until i get what
i want, there will be no extra stuff if i can help it, Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
> Had all kinds of set ups. Off set, propane fired, charcoal bullet
> water, Webber kettle, and electric. Loaned out stuff and ended up
> with only my electric.
>
> This past summer I smoked only in the electric Smoke Hollow. Did ribs.
> Beef, pork spares, and baby backs. Pork shoulder, loin, chickens,
> chuck roasts.....and corn on the cob, among other things.
>
> I'm not out to sell the Smoke Hollow. Plenty of better electric
> smokers out there to be sure. But it is double walled and insolated.
> The thermostat works well for a dial. Oh, and the price was right.
>
> I fill the wood pan with wood chips (dry). Fill the water pan with
> sand and cover with foil for easy clean up. But I learned that sand is
> not needed as the thermostat does a good job and I don't seem to have
> temp spikes. Guess I do it out of force of habit.
>
> I do place a pan on the lowest rack to catch the drippings and I do
> add a tad bit of water (1/2 inch) to keep the drippings from scorching
> (but not to add moisture or act as any kind of a heat sink).
>
> EZ-Q for sure. But the results are great and I do not have to tend a
> fire any more.
>
> The only time I would go back to an off set is if I had to do lots of
> Q or to do a whole hog. No need to do either anymore.
>
> I still make my own rubs and do all the prep.. I just don't have to
> tend the fire and play the sand, water, foil, kryptonite, and what
> ever game anymore.
>
> Still low an slow......
>
> Gene

up in smoke Aussie1[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-12-2010 10:21 PM
What do you smoke? Kent Barbecue 19 08-07-2006 02:18 PM
too much smoke Piedmont Barbecue 4 29-05-2005 03:22 AM
Need smoke Johnny Mc Barbecue 59 02-02-2005 11:58 PM
What to smoke for the first try Dirty Harry Barbecue 69 29-05-2004 04:33 PM