Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Lots of sausage recipes

From the wayback machine

<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm>

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> From the wayback machine
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/200102140....m.fowler/fram
> e/Sausage1.htm>

Helluva good site, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/6/2010 1:00 AM, Mort wrote:
> From the wayback machine
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm>

Lots of recipes, nice! I'll have to set some time aside to peruse!
Thanks!

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jim Lahue wrote:

> It's good to see Jerry Fowler's pages were archived somewhere. Lots of
> interesting recipes there -- many of which came from the old sausage
> making mailing list.

Yep. Old timers will remember it. It went off the air and I guess
he never got around to putting it back up.

I know several people who got their start making sausage from reading
Jerry's site so it's something of a classic. All kinds of recipes, not
just sausage.

Here's the rest of the site. It's from the wayback machine
so at least some of the links will be busted. The pulldown jumpto
menu on each page is the the main thing that doesn't work cause
it's javascript. So, you have to get to each top level page by the
direct links included here.

Most of the recipe links are still good though.

Welcome
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/index.htm>
Basics
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Basics.htm>
Basics - Additives
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Additives.htm>
Basics - Cure
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Cures.htm>
Basics - Equipment
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Equipment.htm>
Basics - Equipment - Grinders
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Grinder.htm>
Basics - Equipment - Smokers
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Smoker.htm>
Basics - Equipment - Stuffers
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Stuffer.htm>
Basics - Equipment - Other
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Other.htm>
Basics - Spices
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Spices.htm>
Basics - Wood
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Wood.htm>
Casings
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Casings.htm>
Casings - Man Made
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Manmade.htm>
Casings - Natural
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Natural.htm>
Cleanliness
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Cleanliness.htm>
Fish
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Fish.htm>
Links, References & Resources
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/lrr.htm>
Meats
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Meat.htm>
Miscellaneous
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Miscellaneous.htm>
NWS
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/NWS.htm>
Poultry
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Poultry.htm>
Recipes
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Recipes.htm>
Recipes - BBQ Sauces
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/BBQSauces.htm>
Recipes - Brines
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Brines.htm>
Recipes - Jerky
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Jerky.htm>
Recipes - Other
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Other1.htm>
Recipes - Personal
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Personal.htm>
Recipes - Rubs & Spice Blends
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/RubsMops.htm>
Recipes - Sausages
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm>
Rytek Memorial
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Rytek.htm>
Sausage Types
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage.htm>
Sausage Ring Sign up
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/ring.htm>
Weekly Recipes
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Weekly.htm>

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort wrote:

> From the wayback machine
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm>

It's good to see Jerry Fowler's pages were archived somewhere. Lots of
interesting recipes there -- many of which came from the old sausage
making mailing list.

Jim Lahue

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort wrote:
> From the wayback machine
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm>

wow - blast from the past - THANKS - I lost the link in the last "great
hard disk crash"

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 22:00:50 -0800, Mort wrote:

> From the wayback machine
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm>

I took a look at the very first recipe. "1 pound of frankfurter
seasoning?". If I knew what that was then I wouldn't be using a
recipe in the first place!

What is "garlic compound flour". The only reference to this
ingredient on the web is this same recipe. A good example of how
bad recipes need to die rather than being perpetuated by the
Internet.

At only one part per thousand (approx), my only guess is a curing
salt, which seems to be missing from the recipe (while not required,
all commercial dogs seem to have nitrates).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort ) opined:

> From the wayback machine
>
><http://web.archive.org/web/200102140...:/home.att.net
>/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm>

I met Jerry once back about 10-12 years ago, nice guy, made
some great tasting sausage. He visited the area and made
sausge with several other BBQ junkies.

Several of the recipes in Jerry's collection come from Bruce
Aidell's book on sausage making, which I recommend in addition
to the Rytek Kutas book, which seems a bit dated and has
recipes sized to feed an entire army, but good reading and
info.

Unfortunately I missed the sausage making when Jerry visited,
but managed to arrive for the eating portion of the day, so I
have a question for other sausage makers here. When making a
sausage from pork butt, how closely do you trim the fat? I
trim as much as I can without being obsessive, then add back
the fat along with some from the butcher to make up the total
fat portion a recipe calls for. Should I bother trimming the
butt and just add additional fat in the amount a recipe calls
for?

I know that this is partly personal preference on how fatty
you want your sausage, but welcome any opinions.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the OBVIOUSBIT for email
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

George B. Ross wrote:

> Mort ) opined:
>

>> From the wayback machine
>>
>><http://web.archive.org/web/200102140...:/home.att.net
>>/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm>
>>

> I met Jerry once back about 10-12 years ago, nice guy, made
> some great tasting sausage. He visited the area and made
> sausge with several other BBQ junkies.
>
> Several of the recipes in Jerry's collection come from Bruce
> Aidell's book on sausage making, which I recommend in addition
> to the Rytek Kutas book, which seems a bit dated and has
> recipes sized to feed an entire army, but good reading and
> info.
>
> Unfortunately I missed the sausage making when Jerry visited,
> but managed to arrive for the eating portion of the day, so I
> have a question for other sausage makers here. When making a
> sausage from pork butt, how closely do you trim the fat? I
> trim as much as I can without being obsessive, then add back
> the fat along with some from the butcher to make up the total
> fat portion a recipe calls for. Should I bother trimming the
> butt and just add additional fat in the amount a recipe calls
> for?
>
> I know that this is partly personal preference on how fatty
> you want your sausage, but welcome any opinions.

Agree wholeheartedly on Aidell and his books. He's very
creative with his recipes and they always work.

As far as fat content, generally you'll be ok with pork butt
right out of the box. just cut it up and grind it and you'll
be in the 20-30 fat range.

If you want to be more precise here's the technique. Trim
the fat off as best you can, seperate the fat and lean,
then use them in the target proportion by weight. Pretty simple.

As you get better at it you can look at ground meat and
know about what percent fat it is. Leaner is redder, and
as you add more fat it becomes lighter and lighter shades
of pink.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"George B. Ross" > wrote:

> When making a
> sausage from pork butt, how closely do you trim the fat? I
> trim as much as I can without being obsessive, then add back
> the fat along with some from the butcher to make up the total
> fat portion a recipe calls for. Should I bother trimming the
> butt and just add additional fat in the amount a recipe calls
> for?
>
> I know that this is partly personal preference on how fatty
> you want your sausage, but welcome any opinions.

I don't bother trimming it at all.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein