Rikard Stenberg

Default Smoking a few "extra" hours

Hello!
I have been smoking ribs, chicken wings, etc for a number of years now -
last time I added an extra 1.5 hours to the smoking time and the ribs
turned out even more tender than before.

Is that the rule, the longer you smoke 'em the more tender you get them?
This was 5 hours instead of 3.5...

Regards,
/Rikard
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:25:59 GMT, Rikard Stenberg
> wrote:

>Hello!
>I have been smoking ribs, chicken wings, etc for a number of years now -
>last time I added an extra 1.5 hours to the smoking time and the ribs
>turned out even more tender than before.
>
>Is that the rule, the longer you smoke 'em the more tender you get them?
>This was 5 hours instead of 3.5...

Generally speaking, longer means more tender. However, it can also
mean dried out. I usually do spareribs at 250-275 for 5 to 6 hours.
Very tender.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:25:59 GMT, Rikard Stenberg
> wrote:

>Hello!
>I have been smoking ribs, chicken wings, etc for a number of years now -
>last time I added an extra 1.5 hours to the smoking time and the ribs
>turned out even more tender than before.
>
>Is that the rule, the longer you smoke 'em the more tender you get them?
>This was 5 hours instead of 3.5...

Generally speaking, longer means more tender. However, it can also
mean dried out. I usually do spareribs at 250-275 for 5 to 6 hours.
Very tender.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Nathan Lau

Rikard Stenberg wrote:

> Hello!
> I have been smoking ribs, chicken wings, etc for a number of years now -
> last time I added an extra 1.5 hours to the smoking time and the ribs
> turned out even more tender than before.
>
> Is that the rule, the longer you smoke 'em the more tender you get them?
> This was 5 hours instead of 3.5...

The rule is "they're done when they're done". One test for doneness is
when the meat pulls back from the bone about 3/4 inch. 3.5 hours sounds
too short. I normally smoke my pork spares at 250, pulling at 4-5 hrs (
usually because company's arrived). This weekend I'm gonna shoot for a
full 6 hours.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Nathan Lau

Rikard Stenberg wrote:

> Hello!
> I have been smoking ribs, chicken wings, etc for a number of years now -
> last time I added an extra 1.5 hours to the smoking time and the ribs
> turned out even more tender than before.
>
> Is that the rule, the longer you smoke 'em the more tender you get them?
> This was 5 hours instead of 3.5...

The rule is "they're done when they're done". One test for doneness is
when the meat pulls back from the bone about 3/4 inch. 3.5 hours sounds
too short. I normally smoke my pork spares at 250, pulling at 4-5 hrs (
usually because company's arrived). This weekend I'm gonna shoot for a
full 6 hours.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Duwop

Nathan Lau wrote:
> 4-5 hrs ( usually because company's arrived). This weekend I'm gonna
> shoot for a full 6 hours.

Or till their done? <vbg>

Duwop

Nathan Lau wrote:
> 4-5 hrs ( usually because company's arrived). This weekend I'm gonna
> shoot for a full 6 hours.

Or till their done? <vbg>

Rikard Stenberg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> Generally speaking, longer means more tender. However, it can also
> mean dried out. I usually do spareribs at 250-275 for 5 to 6 hours.
> Very tender.

I bought a lot of ribs today and will smoke 'em on Saturday. I will go
for five or six hours this time. Mmmmm can't wait :-)

/Rikard
Rikard Stenberg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> Generally speaking, longer means more tender. However, it can also
> mean dried out. I usually do spareribs at 250-275 for 5 to 6 hours.
> Very tender.

I bought a lot of ribs today and will smoke 'em on Saturday. I will go
for five or six hours this time. Mmmmm can't wait :-)

/Rikard
Tyler Hopper

"Rikard Stenberg" > wrote in message
> Hello!
> I have been smoking ribs, chicken wings, etc for a number of years now -
> last time I added an extra 1.5 hours to the smoking time and the ribs
> turned out even more tender than before.
>
> Is that the rule, the longer you smoke 'em the more tender you get them?
> This was 5 hours instead of 3.5...
>
> Regards,
> /Rikard

Different folks have different tests for doneness on ribs. Mine is grab one end
of the rack and fold them over towards the opposite end. If the meat cracks
easily, they're done.

Tyler Hopper

"Rikard Stenberg" > wrote in message
> Hello!
> I have been smoking ribs, chicken wings, etc for a number of years now -
> last time I added an extra 1.5 hours to the smoking time and the ribs
> turned out even more tender than before.
>
> Is that the rule, the longer you smoke 'em the more tender you get them?
> This was 5 hours instead of 3.5...
>
> Regards,
> /Rikard

Different folks have different tests for doneness on ribs. Mine is grab one end
of the rack and fold them over towards the opposite end. If the meat cracks
easily, they're done.

Jack Sloan

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Rikard Stenberg" > wrote in message
> > Hello!
> > I have been smoking ribs, chicken wings, etc for a number of years now -
> > last time I added an extra 1.5 hours to the smoking time and the ribs
> > turned out even more tender than before.
> >
> > Is that the rule, the longer you smoke 'em the more tender you get them?
> > This was 5 hours instead of 3.5...
> >
> > Regards,
> > /Rikard

> Different folks have different tests for doneness on ribs. Mine is grab

one end
> of the rack and fold them over towards the opposite end. If the meat

cracks
> easily, they're done.

And my test is when they have about a half inch of rib bone stickin'out the
end they're gonna git et whether they're ready or not.
Jack
Jack

Jack Sloan

44 hours Leah Gauthier Marketplace 0 07-12-2012 09:09 PM
44 hours Leah Gauthier Marketplace 0 07-12-2012 09:07 PM
EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!! Read all about it! Free Crap Food Today Only!!! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 16 29-04-2009 06:58 PM
Extra extra lean ground beef Q anonymous General Cooking 9 17-11-2008 04:40 AM
OTotD (3-3-7) Total Lunar Eclipse today. EXTRA! EXTRA! Andy[_2_] General Cooking 1 03-03-2007 12:09 PM