Alex

Default Gas Grill Newbie

I have yet another question. The grill I have is older model. It has 3
racks. One low rack closest to the heat, center rack middle ways from
heat, and top rack furtherest from the heat. Which rack should I place
my hamburgers on, and should I cook them on low. Never grilled on a
gas grill before
Alex

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 19:36:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Alex" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I have yet another question. The grill I have is older model. It has 3
>> racks. One low rack closest to the heat, center rack middle ways from
>> heat, and top rack furtherest from the heat. Which rack should I place
>> my hamburgers on, and should I cook them on low. Never grilled on a
>> gas grill before

>Heat the grill as hot as you can.
>
>Cover open to start. Put the burgers on the lowest rack at the highest
>heat. Let the bottom cook enough that you can easily take it up with a
>spatula. Flip over to sear the second side.
>
> Close the cover. Now you can lower the heat and cook to the doneness you
>desire.

Thanks
Alex

wrote:

>"Alex" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I have yet another question. The grill I have is older model. It has 3
>> racks. One low rack closest to the heat, center rack middle ways from
>> heat, and top rack furtherest from the heat. Which rack should I place
>> my hamburgers on, and should I cook them on low. Never grilled on a
>> gas grill before

>Heat the grill as hot as you can.
>
>Cover open to start. Put the burgers on the lowest rack at the highest
>heat. Let the bottom cook enough that you can easily take it up with a
>spatula. Flip over to sear the second side.
>
> Close the cover. Now you can lower the heat and cook to the doneness you
>desire.

Thanks
Edwin Pawlowski

"Alex" > wrote in message
> I have yet another question. The grill I have is older model. It has 3
> racks. One low rack closest to the heat, center rack middle ways from
> heat, and top rack furtherest from the heat. Which rack should I place
> my hamburgers on, and should I cook them on low. Never grilled on a
> gas grill before

Heat the grill as hot as you can.

Cover open to start. Put the burgers on the lowest rack at the highest
heat. Let the bottom cook enough that you can easily take it up with a
spatula. Flip over to sear the second side.

Close the cover. Now you can lower the heat and cook to the doneness you
desire.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Alex" > wrote in message
> I have yet another question. The grill I have is older model. It has 3
> racks. One low rack closest to the heat, center rack middle ways from
> heat, and top rack furtherest from the heat. Which rack should I place
> my hamburgers on, and should I cook them on low. Never grilled on a
> gas grill before

Heat the grill as hot as you can.

Cover open to start. Put the burgers on the lowest rack at the highest
heat. Let the bottom cook enough that you can easily take it up with a
spatula. Flip over to sear the second side.

Close the cover. Now you can lower the heat and cook to the doneness you
desire.

Bo Hica

"Alex" > wrote in message
> I have yet another question. The grill I have is older model. It has 3
> racks. One low rack closest to the heat, center rack middle ways from
> heat, and top rack furtherest from the heat. Which rack should I place
> my hamburgers on, and should I cook them on low. Never grilled on a
> gas grill before

Older grills usually have the lowest "rack" as a rock grate, intended to be
covered with some kind of heat diffusing materials - lava rock)poor choice)
or ceramic briquettes(better). It's NOT for food - unless the idea is to
incinerate it, in a great wall of flame if it's burgers! The middle grate
will me the main cooking grate - notice that you can't reach the lower rock
grate with the cooking grate in place. The top one is a warming rack to
warm bread or buns etc.

Edwin's post was fine for technique - but I'd find something to put on the
bottom rack - that's the way your grill was designed. Note that most newer
grills use metal diffusers/flavorizers instead of the rock or briquettes -
may help reduce the flareups gassers are prone to...

- Bo