Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Newbie Re Last Post On Gas Grill Suggestions, & On Weber Q-320

Hello again,

First, thanks to everyone for answering my previous Post re what type of gas
grill to get as a gift. Really appreciate it, as I know next to nothing
about grilling.
Great forum, and will be Posting a lot more questions, I imagine.

May I also ask these, please:

Per several suggestions, and as the gift will be for a couple that would use
it "lightly", I am strongly considering the WeberQ-320 Gas Grill.

Seems to be the right size for them, and most of the reviews have been
pretty good.

a. I've been told that with this grill, it is Not possible to use Lava or
the Ceramic cooking
bricks ?

Is this important ? Why ?

Where and when would one use Lava bricks, irrespective of the
model one has ?

b. How about using wood chips (or the wood plank) ?
Possible on the Q320 ?

If not, how would one obtain the "smoked" flavor with burgers, etc. that we
all love so much ?

Regards, and thanks again,
Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Robert11 > wrote:

> a. I've been told that with this grill, it is Not possible to use Lava or
> the Ceramic cooking
> bricks ?

> Is this important ? Why ?

Weber uses a different system which accomplishes the same thing without
getting all clogged up with congealed grease.

> Where and when would one use Lava bricks, irrespective of the
> model one has ?

Not on a Weber. They use "Flavorizer bars".

> b. How about using wood chips (or the wood plank) ?
> Possible on the Q320 ?

Why not? I don't really know.

> If not, how would one obtain the "smoked" flavor with burgers, etc. that we
> all love so much ?

Generally, if you want smoked flavor, it is a good idea to use hardwood
embers as your fuel. That is where the smoked flavor comes from.

However, many folks that use gas enjoy the flavor of burned grease that
drips down onto the lava rocks. Indeed, some folks think that this flavor
is the "smoked food" flavor that they are shooting for.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Robert11 wrote:

> a. I've been told that with this grill, it is Not possible to use
> Lava or the Ceramic cooking
> bricks ?

You don't need rocks or bricks. Weber uses 'flavorizer bars' which I feel
are a much better alternative.

> Is this important ?

Not one whit.

> Why ?

Because Weber says so :-)

> Where and when would one use Lava bricks, irrespective of the
> model one has ?

Bricks are not necessary. I wouldn't use them at all. They tend to collect a
lot of grease which can attract vermin.

> b. How about using wood chips (or the wood plank) ?
> Possible on the Q320 ?

Yes.

> If not, how would one obtain the "smoked" flavor with burgers, etc.
> that we all love so much ?

Smoke flavor takes time; meats need to absorb the smoke. That means longer
exposure of the meat to wood smoke while cooking at a lower temperature than
what grilling allows for. Grilling does not really accomodate flavoring food
with wood smoke. Grilled food simply cooks too fast to allow enough time for
the effects of wood smoke to do much. What most people think of as the
'smoke' flavor' from grilled meats is the vaporization of meat fats from the
high heat, which then cools and is then re-deposited onto the meat. This is
part of what makes grilled meats extra yummy. The effect enhances the flavor
of meat.

To produce wood smoke on a grill like the Weber for slower cooked meats, you
can use the little iron boxes that can be purchased especially to do the
job. Use chunks of hardwood small enough to fit, and stuff it in. The box is
placed near the flame, which for the Weber is right on top of the flavorizer
bars.

I personally like to stuff chunks of wood into a tightly closed foil packet
in which I have poked holes with a fork. NEVER SOAK CHIPS. It can create
bitterness from smoldering smoke. You don't want clouds of smoke..... clouds
of thick wood smoke = bitterness.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Robert11" > wrote in message
> Hello again,
>
> First, thanks to everyone for answering my previous Post re what type of
> gas grill to get as a gift. Really appreciate it, as I know next to
> nothing about grilling.
> Great forum, and will be Posting a lot more questions, I imagine.
>
> May I also ask these, please:
>
> Per several suggestions, and as the gift will be for a couple that would
> use it "lightly", I am strongly considering the WeberQ-320 Gas Grill.
>
> Seems to be the right size for them, and most of the reviews have been
> pretty good.
>
> a. I've been told that with this grill, it is Not possible to use Lava or
> the Ceramic cooking
> bricks ?
>
> Is this important ? Why ?
>
> Where and when would one use Lava bricks, irrespective of the
> model one has ?
>
> b. How about using wood chips (or the wood plank) ?
> Possible on the Q320 ?
>
> If not, how would one obtain the "smoked" flavor with burgers, etc. that
> we all love so much ?
>
> Regards, and thanks again,
> Bob

None of the Webers have lava rocks, nor do you need them. The "flavorizer
bars" work just fine, and they are easy to clean. It's also much easier to
"smoke grill". I take one flavorizer bar out, and lay foil wrapped wood
chunks directly on the burner. It works fine, at least for "gas smoke".

You need three burners because at some point you're going to start grilling
indirectly, especially with wood. You want the option to heat on both sides
of what you're cooking. As well, to bring the heat down further you do so by
using one burner of a three burner grill. That's better than using one
burner of a two burner grill.

I would not buy the Q-320 because it has only two burners giving out only
21,700 BTU to heat a 462 square inch total cooking area. That's not near
enough to sear a steak properly, even with the cast iron grates that come
with it. The Weber Spirit gives out 36,000 BTU of heat for 424 square inches
of cooking area. That even wasn't sufficient to properly char until I put in
cast iron grates. It's important to look at BTU per square foot, rather than
the total BTU. Some of the very large grills can't possibly heat properly if
their published BTU figures are accurate, especially with the hefty
stainless steel grates.

The best of luck in your quest,

Hugh

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Robert11" > wrote in message
> Hello again,
>
> First, thanks to everyone for answering my previous Post re what type of
> gas grill to get as a gift. Really appreciate it, as I know next to
> nothing about grilling.
> Great forum, and will be Posting a lot more questions, I imagine.
>
> May I also ask these, please:
>
> Per several suggestions, and as the gift will be for a couple that would
> use it "lightly", I am strongly considering the WeberQ-320 Gas Grill.
>
> Seems to be the right size for them, and most of the reviews have been
> pretty good.
>
> a. I've been told that with this grill, it is Not possible to use Lava or
> the Ceramic cooking
> bricks ?
>
> Is this important ? Why ?
>
> Where and when would one use Lava bricks, irrespective of the
> model one has ?
>
> b. How about using wood chips (or the wood plank) ?
> Possible on the Q320 ?
>
> If not, how would one obtain the "smoked" flavor with burgers, etc. that
> we all love so much ?
>
> Regards, and thanks again,
> Bob

Along with another poster, I can't emphasize enough that you wait for the
right deal to materialize. Right now, the Spirit E310 can be purchased for
$476 with free shipping and no sales tax.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
You might even get it slightly cheaper if you sit and wait to "spring".

Hugh

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I personally like to stuff chunks of wood into a tightly closed foil
> packet in which I have poked holes with a fork. NEVER SOAK CHIPS. It can
> create bitterness from smoldering smoke. You don't want clouds of
> smoke..... clouds of thick wood smoke = bitterness.

What Dave Bugg said! A great technique and tip. And, perhaps the most
important part is NEVER SOAK CHIPS.I've even done the foil packet thing in
the oven of my kitchen gas stove, putting the packet on the metal plate at
the bottom of the oven. Works great with anything you can BBQ, roast or
bake. I learned that here, too. ;-))

Only use HARDWOOD chips or chunks. As to what kind, that depends on what
wood(s) flavor your experience tells you works with different food
products.

Get a couple of Taylor (Polder knock-off) probe thermometers. One for temp
at the grate (stick it through a potato) and one for temp of the meat.

Get them a case of beer, too. BBQ can take hours!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Hugh" > wrote:
> "Robert11" > wrote in message

> > Hello again,
> >
> > First, thanks to everyone for answering my previous Post re what type
> > of gas grill to get as a gift. Really appreciate it, as I know next to
> > nothing about grilling.
> > Great forum, and will be Posting a lot more questions, I imagine.
> >
> > May I also ask these, please:
> >
> > Per several suggestions, and as the gift will be for a couple that
> > would use it "lightly", I am strongly considering the WeberQ-320 Gas
> > Grill.
> >
> > Seems to be the right size for them, and most of the reviews have been
> > pretty good.
> >
> > a. I've been told that with this grill, it is Not possible to use Lava
> > or the Ceramic cooking
> > bricks ?
> >
> > Is this important ? Why ?
> >
> > Where and when would one use Lava bricks, irrespective of the
> > model one has ?
> >
> > b. How about using wood chips (or the wood plank) ?
> > Possible on the Q320 ?
> >
> > If not, how would one obtain the "smoked" flavor with burgers, etc.
> > that we all love so much ?

> Along with another poster, I can't emphasize enough that you wait for
> the right deal to materialize. Right now, the Spirit E310 can be
> purchased for $476 with free shipping and no sales tax.
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...p_new?ie=UTF8&
> qid=1235761865&sr=8-1&condition=new You might even get it slightly
> cheaper if you sit and wait to "spring".

Given the current economic situation, a lot of retailers are heavily
discounting things, so this might be a good time to make your move. Once
you've decided on what you're going to get, shop around. Expect prices to
go up as we get nearer to Memorial Day.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Robert11 wrote:

Snip

> To produce wood smoke on a grill like the Weber for slower cooked meats,
> you can use the little iron boxes that can be purchased especially to do
> the job. Use chunks of hardwood small enough to fit, and stuff it in. The
> box is placed near the flame, which for the Weber is right on top of the
> flavorizer bars.

A couple years ago at my Dads house I Whipped up a Damn fine batch of
Smoked ribs on a gasser.
I used wood chips in foil. The foil was thrown right on the burner even
at a temp of 250 it kept wanting to ignite. So I changed my tactics and
rolled the spares up and tied a string around them. The foil pack was now
on the rack above the lit burner with no more flare ups of the chips, and
the ribs were over a drip pan resting on the unlit side of the burner.
It was the perfect set up for a gasser.

> I personally like to stuff chunks of wood into a tightly closed foil
> packet in which I have poked holes with a fork. NEVER SOAK CHIPS. It can
> create bitterness from smoldering smoke. You don't want clouds of
> smoke..... clouds of thick wood smoke = bitterness.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> I personally like to stuff chunks of wood into a tightly closed foil
>> packet in which I have poked holes with a fork. NEVER SOAK CHIPS. It can
>> create bitterness from smoldering smoke. You don't want clouds of
>> smoke..... clouds of thick wood smoke = bitterness.

> What Dave Bugg said! A great technique and tip. And, perhaps the most
> important part is NEVER SOAK CHIPS.I've even done the foil packet thing in
> the oven of my kitchen gas stove, putting the packet on the metal plate at
> the bottom of the oven. Works great with anything you can BBQ, roast or
> bake. I learned that here, too. ;-))

I dont know if Id like to smoke in my oven. The Wifey would probably Bitch
extra for that

Newbie post Steve B[_13_] Barbecue 11 29-01-2012 02:15 AM
Newbie's first post to the group Nick Cramer Diabetic 16 14-11-2007 08:47 AM
Newbie questions - Weber Performer [email protected] Barbecue 3 24-04-2007 07:25 PM
Suggestions for a newbie [email protected] Tea 2 30-03-2007 08:48 PM
Weber Grill? OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 145 17-08-2006 09:44 PM