Default Disappearing Aluminum Foil

This past Sunday I did a batch of spareribs, and tried a new (for me)
way of getting smoke flavor.

I wrapped a fist-sized chunk of mesquite and a couple smaller chunks of
hickory in a double-layer of Reynolds "heavy duty" aluminum foil, poked
a single small hole in the one side of the bundle, and placed it hole-
side down on top of the heap of already-started lump charcoal in the
cooker. I then put the ribs on for about 5 hours keeping the grill dome
temp at around 230. When the ribs were done, I shut the vents to let
the fire die out. I was happy with the quality of the smoke flavor, but
was surprised to find that the bottom of the aluminum foil bundle (the
side with the hole in it) had pretty much disappeared.

Did the missing foil "burn" and go up in smoke (with some of it maybe
ending up on my spareribs)? Or did it sort of flake away and settle
down in among the lump ash? Or maybe both?

I've used foil packets of wood chips before on top of lump and
briquettes, and noticed that sometimes the foil in contact with the
burning charcoal thins out a bit and takes on a "parchment-like"
quality, but I've never had it just disappear like it did on Sunday.
Previously I always had the hole(s) facing away from the fire, rather
than down into it, so I'm wondering whether that made a difference.

The three chunks of smoking wood were still intact (now as lump
charcoal) in the remains of the foil, so I figure the bottom part of the
foil disappeared pretty late in the cooking process.

Any insights as to what's going on? Thanks.

yaB (yet another Bob)
JMagerl

It melted. ALuminum foil is so thin you will probably not find the little
pellet left behind. Next time you start a fire in the fire place. Throw an
aluminum can in. It will melt down to a pellet about the size of 2 pencil
erasers.

Aluminum will also burn if the temperature gets hot enough.

> wrote in message
> This past Sunday I did a batch of spareribs, and tried a new (for me)
> way of getting smoke flavor.
>
> I wrapped a fist-sized chunk of mesquite and a couple smaller chunks of
> hickory in a double-layer of Reynolds "heavy duty" aluminum foil, poked
> a single small hole in the one side of the bundle, and placed it hole-
> side down on top of the heap of already-started lump charcoal in the
> cooker. I then put the ribs on for about 5 hours keeping the grill dome
> temp at around 230. When the ribs were done, I shut the vents to let
> the fire die out. I was happy with the quality of the smoke flavor, but
> was surprised to find that the bottom of the aluminum foil bundle (the
> side with the hole in it) had pretty much disappeared.
>
> Did the missing foil "burn" and go up in smoke (with some of it maybe
> ending up on my spareribs)? Or did it sort of flake away and settle
> down in among the lump ash? Or maybe both?
>
> I've used foil packets of wood chips before on top of lump and
> briquettes, and noticed that sometimes the foil in contact with the
> burning charcoal thins out a bit and takes on a "parchment-like"
> quality, but I've never had it just disappear like it did on Sunday.
> Previously I always had the hole(s) facing away from the fire, rather
> than down into it, so I'm wondering whether that made a difference.
>
> The three chunks of smoking wood were still intact (now as lump
> charcoal) in the remains of the foil, so I figure the bottom part of the
> foil disappeared pretty late in the cooking process.
>
> Any insights as to what's going on? Thanks.
>
> yaB (yet another Bob)

Pierre

> wrote in message >.. .
> This past Sunday I did a batch of spareribs, and tried a new (for me)
> way of getting smoke flavor.
>
> I wrapped a fist-sized chunk of mesquite and a couple smaller chunks of
> hickory in a double-layer of Reynolds "heavy duty" aluminum foil, poked
> a single small hole in the one side of the bundle, and placed it hole-
> side down on top of the heap of already-started lump charcoal in the
> cooker. I then put the ribs on for about 5 hours keeping the grill dome
> temp at around 230. When the ribs were done, I shut the vents to let
> the fire die out. I was happy with the quality of the smoke flavor, but
> was surprised to find that the bottom of the aluminum foil bundle (the
> side with the hole in it) had pretty much disappeared.
>
> Did the missing foil "burn" and go up in smoke (with some of it maybe
> ending up on my spareribs)? Or did it sort of flake away and settle
> down in among the lump ash? Or maybe both?
>
> I've used foil packets of wood chips before on top of lump and
> briquettes, and noticed that sometimes the foil in contact with the
> burning charcoal thins out a bit and takes on a "parchment-like"
> quality, but I've never had it just disappear like it did on Sunday.
> Previously I always had the hole(s) facing away from the fire, rather
> than down into it, so I'm wondering whether that made a difference.
>
> The three chunks of smoking wood were still intact (now as lump
> charcoal) in the remains of the foil, so I figure the bottom part of the
> foil disappeared pretty late in the cooking process.
>
> Any insights as to what's going on? Thanks.
>
> yaB (yet another Bob)

Yes, it might have melted. Another possibility is that the foil might
have gotten some tomato or other citrus based bbq sauce on it. If the
foil then touched the steel grates too, you would have created a crude
battery, with acid and all. Let it sit all night and byebye foil. A
remote possibility nonetheless.

Moo
Pierre
Pierre

> wrote in message >.. .
> This past Sunday I did a batch of spareribs, and tried a new (for me)
> way of getting smoke flavor.
>
> I wrapped a fist-sized chunk of mesquite and a couple smaller chunks of
> hickory in a double-layer of Reynolds "heavy duty" aluminum foil, poked
> a single small hole in the one side of the bundle, and placed it hole-
> side down on top of the heap of already-started lump charcoal in the
> cooker. I then put the ribs on for about 5 hours keeping the grill dome
> temp at around 230. When the ribs were done, I shut the vents to let
> the fire die out. I was happy with the quality of the smoke flavor, but
> was surprised to find that the bottom of the aluminum foil bundle (the
> side with the hole in it) had pretty much disappeared.
>
> Did the missing foil "burn" and go up in smoke (with some of it maybe
> ending up on my spareribs)? Or did it sort of flake away and settle
> down in among the lump ash? Or maybe both?
>
> I've used foil packets of wood chips before on top of lump and
> briquettes, and noticed that sometimes the foil in contact with the
> burning charcoal thins out a bit and takes on a "parchment-like"
> quality, but I've never had it just disappear like it did on Sunday.
> Previously I always had the hole(s) facing away from the fire, rather
> than down into it, so I'm wondering whether that made a difference.
>
> The three chunks of smoking wood were still intact (now as lump
> charcoal) in the remains of the foil, so I figure the bottom part of the
> foil disappeared pretty late in the cooking process.
>
> Any insights as to what's going on? Thanks.
>
> yaB (yet another Bob)

Yes, it might have melted. Another possibility is that the foil might
have gotten some tomato or other citrus based bbq sauce on it. If the
foil then touched the steel grates too, you would have created a crude
battery, with acid and all. Let it sit all night and byebye foil. A
remote possibility nonetheless.

Moo
Pierre

OT aluminum foil/plastic wrap Fred/Libby Barclay General Cooking 43 28-05-2008 03:35 PM
gold aluminum foil? Mad Scientist Jr General Cooking 5 05-01-2007 07:55 PM
ALUMINUM EGGS (FOIL BREAKFAST) Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-02-2004 01:37 PM
aluminum foil Don Saklad Historic 7 26-10-2003 03:19 AM
aluminum foil Don Saklad Cooking Equipment 4 24-10-2003 01:49 AM