Jake Thompson

Default I have found Q heaven

Hi All,
Just a quick note to say "Tahnks" to everyone here. I am a newbie and
just purchased a New Braunfel's (CharBroil) smoker. It is nothing
special and not what I wanted (Chargriller) but it was a battered box
special at Wallmart that I picked up for $50(It was $170 originally).
As to why I say "Thanks", I have been an avid Q fan forever, but living
around Boston, MA the options are limited. Fortunately I have had the
cahnce to travel to many great parts of the country and sample some
truely great Q. I started research a while back and stumbled here,
thank god. Between what is posted here and the "FAQ" I have had any and
all questions answered.
I have smoked one item so far, a full chicken, I picked up some Mesquite
chunks from Walmart and went to town. I only used wood, no charcoal.
The resuts were spectacular and I feel with a few more trial runs I
will move on to a brisket soon(with peacn wood).

My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!

Thanks,
Jake T.
Dave Bugg

Jake Thompson wrote:

> My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!

I'm glad to see you here, Jake :-)

Jake Thompson

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Jake Thompson wrote:
>

>>My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!

> I'm glad to see you here, Jake :-)

Dave,
Good luck with the restaurant, keep us posted.
Duwop

Jake Thompson wrote:
>>> My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!

Aint the FAQ awesome? Wait till your 1st home done ribs!

Monroe, of course...

In article >, Jake Thompson
> wrote:

> Between what is posted here and the "FAQ" I have had any and
> all questions answered.

and

> My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!
>
> Thanks,
> Jake T.

Nuff sed!

monroe(period)

BOB

Duwop wrote:

> Aint the FAQ awesome?

Probably the best article/website on the internet.

> Wait till your 1st home done ribs!

*All* home done ribs are much better than the bought stuff. Even those that
aren't done quite to perfection!

BOB

Steve Calvin

Duwop wrote:

> Aint the FAQ awesome? Wait till your 1st home done ribs!

The FAQ *is* awesome. Alot of fine work (by alot of folks, I'm sure).
It answers most any question that someone could have and has been
instrumental in my turning out what we consider great ribs, brisket,
and pulled pork "out of the box".

More folks new here should heed Dave's "welcome" notes and read 'em.

--
Steve

Nathan Lau

Jake Thompson wrote:

> My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!

Happy day, oh, happy day!

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Rick Simms

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:19:17 -0400, Jake Thompson
> wrote:

>Hi All,
>Just a quick note to say "Tahnks" to everyone here. I am a newbie and
>just purchased a New Braunfel's (CharBroil) smoker. It is nothing
>special and not what I wanted (Chargriller) but it was a battered box
>special at Wallmart that I picked up for $50(It was $170 originally).
>As to why I say "Thanks", I have been an avid Q fan forever, but living
>around Boston, MA the options are limited. Fortunately I have had the
>cahnce to travel to many great parts of the country and sample some
>truely great Q. I started research a while back and stumbled here,
>thank god. Between what is posted here and the "FAQ" I have had any and
>all questions answered.
>I have smoked one item so far, a full chicken, I picked up some Mesquite
> chunks from Walmart and went to town. I only used wood, no charcoal.
> The resuts were spectacular and I feel with a few more trial runs I
>will move on to a brisket soon(with peacn wood).
>
>My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!
>
>Thanks,
>Jake T.

Welcome to the world of BBQ Jake.

Congrats on yer chickin. If ya got any pic's of yer Q'ing experiences,
please post them over on alt.binaries.food. Lot's of the folks from
here also drop in over there.

Rick Simms

--
A pessimist believes all women are bad.

An optimist hopes they are.
Rick Simms

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:19:17 -0400, Jake Thompson
> wrote:

>Hi All,
>Just a quick note to say "Tahnks" to everyone here. I am a newbie and
>just purchased a New Braunfel's (CharBroil) smoker. It is nothing
>special and not what I wanted (Chargriller) but it was a battered box
>special at Wallmart that I picked up for $50(It was $170 originally).
>As to why I say "Thanks", I have been an avid Q fan forever, but living
>around Boston, MA the options are limited. Fortunately I have had the
>cahnce to travel to many great parts of the country and sample some
>truely great Q. I started research a while back and stumbled here,
>thank god. Between what is posted here and the "FAQ" I have had any and
>all questions answered.
>I have smoked one item so far, a full chicken, I picked up some Mesquite
> chunks from Walmart and went to town. I only used wood, no charcoal.
> The resuts were spectacular and I feel with a few more trial runs I
>will move on to a brisket soon(with peacn wood).
>
>My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!
>
>Thanks,
>Jake T.

Welcome to the world of BBQ Jake.

Congrats on yer chickin. If ya got any pic's of yer Q'ing experiences,
please post them over on alt.binaries.food. Lot's of the folks from
here also drop in over there.

Rick Simms

--
A pessimist believes all women are bad.

An optimist hopes they are.

M&M

On 13-Jul-2004, Jake Thompson > wrote:

> Hi All,
> Just a quick note to say "Tahnks" to everyone here. I am a newbie and
> just purchased a New Braunfel's (CharBroil) smoker. It is nothing
> special and not what I wanted (Chargriller) but it was a battered box
> special at Wallmart that I picked up for $50(It was $170 originally).
> As to why I say "Thanks", I have been an avid Q fan forever, but living
> around Boston, MA the options are limited. Fortunately I have had the
> cahnce to travel to many great parts of the country and sample some
> truely great Q. I started research a while back and stumbled here,
> thank god. Between what is posted here and the "FAQ" I have had any and
> all questions answered.
> I have smoked one item so far, a full chicken, I picked up some Mesquite
> chunks from Walmart and went to town. I only used wood, no charcoal.
> The resuts were spectacular and I feel with a few more trial runs I
> will move on to a brisket soon(with peacn wood).
>
> My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!
>
> Thanks,
> Jake T.

Welcome to the fold. Since you said 'smoker' and New Braunfels (
Charbroil) I have to assume that you have the New Braunfels Silver design
smoker. Since you have survived an early cook using only wood, you are
off to a good start. I wasn't so lucky. I stopped down my chimney trying to
control temp and it was a disaster. I would be interested to know how you
went about managing your fire. Inquiring minds want to know.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 13-Jul-2004, Jake Thompson > wrote:

> Hi All,
> Just a quick note to say "Tahnks" to everyone here. I am a newbie and
> just purchased a New Braunfel's (CharBroil) smoker. It is nothing
> special and not what I wanted (Chargriller) but it was a battered box
> special at Wallmart that I picked up for $50(It was $170 originally).
> As to why I say "Thanks", I have been an avid Q fan forever, but living
> around Boston, MA the options are limited. Fortunately I have had the
> cahnce to travel to many great parts of the country and sample some
> truely great Q. I started research a while back and stumbled here,
> thank god. Between what is posted here and the "FAQ" I have had any and
> all questions answered.
> I have smoked one item so far, a full chicken, I picked up some Mesquite
> chunks from Walmart and went to town. I only used wood, no charcoal.
> The resuts were spectacular and I feel with a few more trial runs I
> will move on to a brisket soon(with peacn wood).
>
> My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light!
>
> Thanks,
> Jake T.

Welcome to the fold. Since you said 'smoker' and New Braunfels (
Charbroil) I have to assume that you have the New Braunfels Silver design
smoker. Since you have survived an early cook using only wood, you are
off to a good start. I wasn't so lucky. I stopped down my chimney trying to
control temp and it was a disaster. I would be interested to know how you
went about managing your fire. Inquiring minds want to know.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Dana Myers

M&M wrote:

> Welcome to the fold. Since you said 'smoker' and New Braunfels (
> Charbroil) I have to assume that you have the New Braunfels Silver design
> smoker. Since you have survived an early cook using only wood, you are
> off to a good start. I wasn't so lucky. I stopped down my chimney trying to
> control temp and it was a disaster.

I used a flat-blade screwdriver to remove my chimney
damper months ago. Glad I did.

In an NBS, you primarily control temperature through fire
size and you use the damper to temporarily slow it down if
need be. If the fire rebounds to too hot, you gotta pull
fuel out.

Cheers,
Dana

Well to start, I had alot of past experience in Boy Scouts cooking with
duch ovens over coals, so I already had a feel for fire control.
>From reading the FAQ, I kept the chimney wide open, and the fire box

damper fully open most of the time.
If I put new wood on, once it got going, I would choke it down just a
bit to prevent a spike in temp, and open it up once things leveled out.

I am worried about the uneven head distribution in the cooking chamer
thouhg and am thinking of which method I would like to use for more
even distribution. Some flashing would probably do the trick, and
since I live in Mass. and would like to smoke well into the fall, I
will probably line the bottom with bricks.

The grill is a 2003 Charbroil Quickset Smoker. I have found almost no
references on the web to this except for people referring to the
"silver" which is it's color,so I am assuming that is the same grill.
For a $50 banged box deal I figured it will be good to learn on this
season and if al goes well, I will be looking into something real for
next season. My goal is to get to competition level.

Jack Curry

> wrote in message

snipped stuff-

Jake said-
"My goal is to get to competition level."

While several posters here compete and others have been/are competition
judges I think you'll find great satisfaction in learning how to cook your
own great barbecue and that the adulation you'll receive from family and
friends when they eat your Q will provide the biggest and best prize of all.

Jack Curry
-it's all about the Q-

Tyler Hopper

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
. ..
> > wrote in message
>
> snipped stuff-
>
> Jake said-
> "My goal is to get to competition level."
> >

> While several posters here compete and others have been/are competition
> judges I think you'll find great satisfaction in learning how to cook your
> own great barbecue and that the adulation you'll receive from family and
> friends when they eat your Q will provide the biggest and best prize of all.
>
> Jack Curry
> -it's all about the Q-

I agree Jack. A while back I asked my family if they wanted to stop at Cooper's
in Llano for some Q. They said, "You've got to be kidding right?"

They've refused to eat Q out for a couple of yrs.

_________
ht_redneck

frohe

Jack Curry wrote:
>> "My goal is to get to competition level."

> While several posters here compete and others have been/are
> competition judges I think you'll find great satisfaction in

learning
> how to cook your own great barbecue and that the adulation you'll
> receive from family and friends when they eat your Q will provide

the
> biggest and best prize of all.

Xactly! When I make Q, I wanna cook it my way for me, family and
friends; not some clodhopper that don't know beans about what good Q
is.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

Jack Curry wrote:
>> "My goal is to get to competition level."

> While several posters here compete and others have been/are
> competition judges I think you'll find great satisfaction in

learning
> how to cook your own great barbecue and that the adulation you'll
> receive from family and friends when they eat your Q will provide

the
> biggest and best prize of all.

Xactly! When I make Q, I wanna cook it my way for me, family and
friends; not some clodhopper that don't know beans about what good Q
is.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Jack Sloan

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> . ..
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > snipped stuff-
> >
> > Jake said-
> > "My goal is to get to competition level."
> > >

> > While several posters here compete and others have been/are competition
> > judges I think you'll find great satisfaction in learning how to cook

your
> > own great barbecue and that the adulation you'll receive from family and
> > friends when they eat your Q will provide the biggest and best prize of

all.

> > Jack Curry
> > -it's all about the Q-

> I agree Jack. A while back I asked my family if they wanted to stop at

Cooper's
> in Llano for some Q. They said, "You've got to be kidding right?"
>
> They've refused to eat Q out for a couple of yrs.
>
> _________
> ht_redneck

Ya go to Cooper's for the beans...and the big pork chops.
I haven't tried the big thick chops in the GD yet....something to look
forward to.
Jack

Jack Sloan

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> . ..
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > snipped stuff-
> >
> > Jake said-
> > "My goal is to get to competition level."
> > >

> > While several posters here compete and others have been/are competition
> > judges I think you'll find great satisfaction in learning how to cook

your
> > own great barbecue and that the adulation you'll receive from family and
> > friends when they eat your Q will provide the biggest and best prize of

all.

> > Jack Curry
> > -it's all about the Q-

> I agree Jack. A while back I asked my family if they wanted to stop at

Cooper's
> in Llano for some Q. They said, "You've got to be kidding right?"
>
> They've refused to eat Q out for a couple of yrs.
>
> _________
> ht_redneck

Ya go to Cooper's for the beans...and the big pork chops.
I haven't tried the big thick chops in the GD yet....something to look
forward to.
Jack

M&M

On 15-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
>
> > Welcome to the fold. Since you said 'smoker' and New Braunfels (
> > Charbroil) I have to assume that you have the New Braunfels Silver design
> > smoker. Since you have survived an early cook using only wood, you are
> > off to a good start. I wasn't so lucky. I stopped down my chimney trying to
> > control temp and it was a disaster.

> I used a flat-blade screwdriver to remove my chimney
> damper months ago. Glad I did.
>
> In an NBS, you primarily control temperature through fire
> size and you use the damper to temporarily slow it down if
> need be. If the fire rebounds to too hot, you gotta pull
> fuel out.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

What Dana said, but I wouldn't take off the chimney damper.
I use that to help shut down the pit when I'm done to save
the remaining fuel.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Hog Heaven UK adm Barbecue 0 16-04-2007 06:10 PM
Do You Know What God Did For You So You Could Go To Heaven? [email protected] General Cooking 0 09-03-2005 09:52 PM
ECB Heaven M&M Barbecue 1 16-07-2004 07:24 AM