Paul

Default First shot at brisket a success (pictures)

A friend got a new "big green egg" and said that I could have his old
smoker. So I took it home and this weekend I gave it a try. I did 2
briskets. A little rub and about 6 1/2 hours smoke time. Everyone said it
was the most tender they have tasted. I hope this wasn't just beginners
luck, but rather a sweet payoff from reading all the dialog here as well as
perusing the FAQ's.

Here are a few links to pictures of the finished product as well as the
smoker.

If someone could please help me out in identifying the model of this New
Braunfels smoker, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks for all the help in getting here. If you have contributed to a
brisket thread recently, you probably helped.

http://www.paulqualls.com/briskets1.jpg
http://www.paulqualls.com/briskets2.jpg
http://www.paulqualls.com/smoker1.jpg
http://www.paulqualls.com/smoker2.jpg

Thanks again,

Paul

Rocky

That looks great!! What model New Braunfels is that? I thought all their
smokers had fireboxes on the end, not underneath. You will get better smoke
penetration using that direct heat from underneath.

Paul

"Rocky" > wrote in message
> That looks great!! What model New Braunfels is that? I thought all their
> smokers had fireboxes on the end, not underneath.

I have no Idea what model it is. I was hoping someone out there would have
some info on that and could help me out.

Paul

M&M

On 13-Jul-2004, "Paul" > wrote:

> A friend got a new "big green egg" and said that I could have his old
> smoker. So I took it home and this weekend I gave it a try. I did 2
> briskets. A little rub and about 6 1/2 hours smoke time. Everyone said it
> was the most tender they have tasted. I hope this wasn't just beginners
> luck, but rather a sweet payoff from reading all the dialog here as well as
> perusing the FAQ's.
>
> Here are a few links to pictures of the finished product as well as the
> smoker.
>
> If someone could please help me out in identifying the model of this New
> Braunfels smoker, I would appreciate that too.
>
> Thanks for all the help in getting here. If you have contributed to a
> brisket thread recently, you probably helped.
>
> http://www.paulqualls.com/briskets1.jpg
> http://www.paulqualls.com/briskets2.jpg
> http://www.paulqualls.com/smoker1.jpg
> http://www.paulqualls.com/smoker2.jpg
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Paul

Nice looking rig. And for sure It's a New Braunfels, but it
ain't a Black Diamond or even a Silver. It's not a Bandera
and it's not a Hondo either. In fact it's not a smoker, it's
a grill. But it's a nice grill. And it's big enough to do offset
cooking pretty easily as you have just proven. Enjoy. Hell
your friend never even got the powder coat burnt off of it.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
PQ

> Nice looking rig. And for sure It's a New Braunfels, but it
> ain't a Black Diamond or even a Silver. It's not a Bandera
> and it's not a Hondo either. In fact it's not a smoker, it's
> a grill. But it's a nice grill. And it's big enough to do offset
> cooking pretty easily as you have just proven. Enjoy. Hell
> your friend never even got the powder coat burnt off of it.

How is it not a smoker? It has a firebox on the bottom left with a hole
about the size of your fist where the smoke/heat comes up. It does however
accomodate grilling if you want to put coals on a rack below the main ones.

Paul

Tyler Hopper

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 13-Jul-2004, "Paul" > wrote:
>

> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Paul

> Nice looking rig. And for sure It's a New Braunfels, but it
> ain't a Black Diamond or even a Silver. It's not a Bandera
> and it's not a Hondo either. In fact it's not a smoker, it's
> a grill. But it's a nice grill. And it's big enough to do offset
> cooking pretty easily as you have just proven. Enjoy. Hell
> your friend never even got the powder coat burnt off of it.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

It's a smoker. The firebox is just below the cook area instead of offset. I used
to see these in the stores around here all the time but for the life of me can't
remember the name. I thought it looked like one of the better NB efforts.

_________
ht_redneck

M&M

Sorry about that. I didn't see anything in the picture that looked
like a firebox. For sure if you look at a Bandera, Black Diamond
or even a Silver, the firebox is a promenent feature, and the hole
between the firebox and the cook chamber is for sure a lot bigger
then a fist. Mine is about 4" X 6". (NBS). As I recollect from the
pic you posted, your machine is mostly angular in shape wheras
all of the more current machines are barrel shaped. Still can't
help you with a name or model for yours. Sorry.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Jim

>"M&M" wrote:

>Sorry about that. I didn't see anything in the picture that looked
>like a firebox.

The firebox is below the cooking chamber on the left hand side.
The model is the El Dorado. They used to sell 'em at Sam's a few years back.
A friend of mine has one, and is pretty happy with it.

Jim
Jim