Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brisket semi-success

If graduating from BBQ U requires passing a final exam I think I got a
C+ or B- on it.
I got a walmart 10# brisket (hard to find them that small there) and
marinated it in coca-cola, worschestershire sauce, and minced garlic
overnight

I used "dollar store" memphis rub over the next night while I boiled
the liquid which the brisket was marinating in. This was used as a
spritz to keep the outside moist.

It spent 12-1/2 hours on lump and oak logs, and at 12:30am I was too
tired to finish it.

It spent the night in foil in a pan in the fridge and then the next
morning 4-1/2 hr coming up to temperature.

The rub was light in the meat, as well as was the smoke flavor, with a
lot of the fat melted off (should have trimmed more of the cap off).
Even though you could definitely tell texture and tenderness wise what
was the point and what was the flat, it was definitely a good first
try at my first brisket. It went first on Memorial Day before the hams
and dogs.

I'll spend summer school studying shoulders and ribs and take a make-
up exam on labor day for my son's 21st bday - another brisket!

Keep on Qing!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Walt" > wrote in message
> If graduating from BBQ U requires passing a final exam I think I got a
> C+ or B- on it.
> I got a walmart 10# brisket (hard to find them that small there) and
> marinated it in coca-cola, worschestershire sauce, and minced garlic
> overnight
>
> I used "dollar store" memphis rub over the next night while I boiled
> the liquid which the brisket was marinating in. This was used as a
> spritz to keep the outside moist.
>
> It spent 12-1/2 hours on lump and oak logs, and at 12:30am I was too
> tired to finish it.
>
> It spent the night in foil in a pan in the fridge and then the next
> morning 4-1/2 hr coming up to temperature.
>
> The rub was light in the meat, as well as was the smoke flavor, with a
> lot of the fat melted off (should have trimmed more of the cap off).
> Even though you could definitely tell texture and tenderness wise what
> was the point and what was the flat, it was definitely a good first
> try at my first brisket. It went first on Memorial Day before the hams
> and dogs.
>
> I'll spend summer school studying shoulders and ribs and take a make-
> up exam on labor day for my son's 21st bday - another brisket!
>
> Keep on Qing!

Walt,
Most of the cyropac brisket that I have cooked are about 1/2 fat, so, a 12
lb brisket will have about 6 lb of meat. Trim excess fat off the out side
leaving about 1/4 inch of fat, then trim out the fat that is in what I call
the pocket. You'll see the pocket on the side, I dig into it and remove pure
fat out of that.

I trim exess fat because for one a brisket just has way too much fat needed
to cook and I don't want to clean up plus it helps make sure that more fat
is rendered and not still hanging on after cooking, but you can cook it
without trimming and trim fat before you serve, but, you have to wonder why
season ontop a thick layer of fat? If you want to season I think you really
ought to trim the fat down so seasoning can work into actual meat better.

after trimming fat go ahead and season if you wish. Bottom line for a
brisket being done is as soon as the internal temp reaches 195F, get it off
the cooker.

Absolutely no need to spritz the outside of a brisket, not with all the fat
and especially the point is saturated with internal fat and has no need to
be kept moist.

I will wrap the brisket in foil and place it in an insulated (cooler with no
ice) box, using towels that are fluffed up to fill empty area. Let it sits
for at least 4 hours but it can be left in there for 24 hours. It will be
wonderful.

Also, 12.5 hours seems like it should have been long enough to have cook a
10 pound brisket so I'll hazard a guess your cooking temp is too low.
300F-350F is OK if you can hold it steady, if using charcoal anywhere from
300 to 400F as the temp goes up then down is fine. 400F is not a problem for
roasted meats, but not during the entire time,

m.a.w. (piedmont)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 27, 1:11 pm, "Piedmont" > wrote:
> [...]

> the cooker.
>
> Absolutely no need to spritz the outside of a brisket, not with all the fat
> and especially the point is saturated with internal fat and has no need to
> be kept moist.
>
> I will wrap the brisket in foil and place it in an insulated (cooler with no
> ice) box, using towels that are fluffed up to fill empty area. Let it sits
> for at least 4 hours but it can be left in there for 24 hours. It will be
> wonderful.
>
> Also, 12.5 hours seems like it should have been long enough to have cook a
> 10 pound brisket so I'll hazard a guess your cooking temp is too low.
> 300F-350F is OK if you can hold it steady, if using charcoal anywhere from
> 300 to 400F as the temp goes up then down is fine. 400F is not a problem for
> roasted meats, but not during the entire time,

I had no problem keeping it at 225-250 on my CG DUO (charcoal side,
with SFB), but above that would be really difficult.
I didn't even have the vent open 1/2 way because I though you didn't
want to overdue a brisket with that high of temps.

We'll experiment and see how it goes next time - thanks!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> 300F-350F is OK if you can hold it steady, if using charcoal anywhere
>> from
>> 300 to 400F as the temp goes up then down is fine. >

> I had no problem keeping it at 225-250 on my CG DUO (charcoal side,
> with SFB), but above that would be really difficult.

I think Piedmont is right on with the temperature.

That said, I don't care what all the Texans tell you, it's a crappy piece of
meat. But I guess that's the object. Value. A pork shoulder is much
easier to work with.

I think you can do a better job with a brisket on a ceramic que due to the
very low air flow and higher humidity. I have a professionally built
smoker, double wall insulated, burning gas and wood. And I have a hard time
getting a brisket that is anything but sliced real thin sandwich meat, or
chopped beef. The best I've done, and this is per the Oklahoma Joe
instructional videos, is to smoke it for 3 or 4 hours. Wrap it tightly in
the heavy foil. And finish it off for another 4 hours. All at about 275
degrees. Let it rest for about 2 hours after that so all the juice doesn't
rush out when you cut it. And it is excellent, no left overs.

I'm sure all the purists will poo poo this procedure. But it works and it
is good. I believe that is the critera for good bbq.

And if Swertz says he can que a good brisket in an ECB, he is definately
wrapping it in the foil.

Just my $0.02,

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

spud wrote:
>>> 300F-350F is OK if you can hold it steady, if using charcoal anywhere
>>> from
>>> 300 to 400F as the temp goes up then down is fine. >

>> I had no problem keeping it at 225-250 on my CG DUO (charcoal side,
>> with SFB), but above that would be really difficult.

> I think Piedmont is right on with the temperature.
>
> That said, I don't care what all the Texans tell you, it's a crappy piece of
> meat. But I guess that's the object. Value. A pork shoulder is much
> easier to work with.
>
> I think you can do a better job with a brisket on a ceramic que due to the
> very low air flow and higher humidity. I have a professionally built
> smoker, double wall insulated, burning gas and wood. And I have a hard time
> getting a brisket that is anything but sliced real thin sandwich meat, or
> chopped beef. The best I've done, and this is per the Oklahoma Joe
> instructional videos, is to smoke it for 3 or 4 hours. Wrap it tightly in
> the heavy foil. And finish it off for another 4 hours. All at about 275
> degrees. Let it rest for about 2 hours after that so all the juice doesn't
> rush out when you cut it. And it is excellent, no left overs.
>
> I'm sure all the purists will poo poo this procedure. But it works and it
> is good. I believe that is the critera for good bbq.
>
> And if Swertz says he can que a good brisket in an ECB, he is definately
> wrapping it in the foil.
>
> Just my $0.02,
>
> Ed

I think the whole point is to produce a brisket that's good tasting for
you and your crew, and hopefully with a lot less fat than what it
started with.

Thanks for your $.02!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-May-2009, "spud" > wrote:

> >> 300F-350F is OK if you can hold it steady, if using charcoal anywhere
> >> from
> >> 300 to 400F as the temp goes up then down is fine. >

> > I had no problem keeping it at 225-250 on my CG DUO (charcoal side,
> > with SFB), but above that would be really difficult.

> I think Piedmont is right on with the temperature.
>
> That said, I don't care what all the Texans tell you, it's a crappy piece
> of
> meat. But I guess that's the object. Value. A pork shoulder is much
> easier to work with.
>
> I think you can do a better job with a brisket on a ceramic que due to
> the
> very low air flow and higher humidity. I have a professionally built
> smoker, double wall insulated, burning gas and wood. And I have a hard
> time
> getting a brisket that is anything but sliced real thin sandwich meat, or
>
> chopped beef. The best I've done, and this is per the Oklahoma Joe
> instructional videos, is to smoke it for 3 or 4 hours. Wrap it tightly
> in
> the heavy foil. And finish it off for another 4 hours. All at about
> 275
> degrees. Let it rest for about 2 hours after that so all the juice
> doesn't
> rush out when you cut it. And it is excellent, no left overs.
>
> I'm sure all the purists will poo poo this procedure. But it works and
> it
> is good. I believe that is the critera for good bbq.
>
> And if Swertz says he can que a good brisket in an ECB, he is definately
> wrapping it in the foil.
>
> Just my $0.02,
>
> Ed

Jeez, brisket ain't rocket science. Sqwertz isn't the only one that can get
good brisket out of an ECB folks here have been doing it for years. I
still have some brisket in my freezer from (too long ago to mention here)
awhile back. It was cooked in my offset at about 270F to about 195-
200f internal, then wrapped and and kept in a cooler box overnight.

Nobody I know cooks brisket part way and then wrap it to finish.
Why in the hell would you do that? I cook mine nake until it's done.
Then and only then, I wrap it and hold it in a cooler box to cool
down and meld its flavor.

Big Jim makes a better brisket then I do, but I'm not going to drive
to Micanopy to get some. And hey, on a given day, mine might be
better then his.

All this shit about holding the temperature steady is a bunch of crap.
You don't want the fire to go out and you don't want to burn your
food. That's it. Anywhere above about 220 and below about 375F
and you're in the ball park. You'll get a little more bark at 375 and
a little less at 220F. You can take care of that when you put it up.

(My cat won't eat the bark, but she otherwise loves pulled pork)

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 27, 7:37*pm, "Brick" > wrote:

> All this shit about holding the temperature steady is a bunch of crap.
> You don't want the fire to go out and you don't want to burn your
> food. That's it. Anywhere above about 220 and below about 375F
> and you're in the ball park. You'll get a little more bark at 375 and
> a little less at 220F. You can take care of that when you put it up.

Tell it like it is brother.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 27, 3:01*pm, "spud" > wrote:
> >> 300F-350F is OK if you can hold it steady, if using charcoal anywhere
> >> from
> >> 300 to 400F as the temp goes up then down is fine. >

> > I had no problem keeping it at 225-250 on my CG DUO (charcoal side,
> > with SFB), but above that would be really difficult.

> I think Piedmont is right on with the temperature.
>
> That said, I don't care what all the Texans tell you, it's a crappy piece of
> meat. *But I guess that's the object. * Value. *A pork shoulder is much
> easier to work with.
>
> I think you can do a better job with a brisket on a ceramic que due to the
> very low air flow and higher humidity. *I have a professionally built
> smoker, double wall insulated, burning gas and wood. *And I have a hard time
> getting a brisket that is anything but sliced real thin sandwich meat, or
> chopped beef. *The best I've done, and this is per the Oklahoma Joe
> instructional videos, is to smoke it for 3 or 4 hours. * Wrap it tightly in
> the heavy foil. * And finish it off for another 4 hours. * All at about 275
> degrees. * Let it rest for about 2 hours after that so all the juice doesn't
> rush out when you cut it. * And it is excellent, no left overs.
>
> I'm sure all the purists will poo poo this procedure. * But it works and it
> is good. * I believe that is the critera for good bbq.
>
> And if Swertz says he can que a good brisket in an ECB, he is definately
> wrapping it in the foil.

How would you compare an ECB to a WSM?

Here's our brisket turn-in from the Edenton Hogfest earlier this month
on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31989099@N00/3574002085/

Cooked at a very steady 225F in a WSM until 192-ish internal, taken
off/wrapped/held until sliced. Cook time was something like 14 hours,
never wrapped, mopped or spritzed while it was cooking.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 27, 7:37*pm, "Brick" > wrote:

> All this shit about holding the temperature steady is a bunch of crap.

Some of the shit about the temperature steady is a bunch of crap,
and some of it isn't. Early in a cook, while the meat is still
raw, my experience is that the meat will absorb smoke pretty
readily, but as the outside of the meat cooks and sets-up, the
meat stops taking smoke. So, starting at a lower temperature
and avoiding heat spikes for the first two or three hours is better
than hitting the meat with a lot of heat early-on.

After the first couple of hours, the meat is just cooking, and I
agree that exact temperature is terribly critical, though I'd
suggest 325F is the highest you might want to go.

Steady temperature does give the benefit of giving a more
predictable cook time, so you can start something cooking and
go to bed and set your alarm clock.

> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

'Nuther ham... Dana K6JQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 28, 5:38*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
> On May 27, 3:01*pm, "spud" > wrote:

> Here's our brisket turn-in from the Edenton Hogfest earlier this month
> on flickr:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/31989099@N00/3574002085/

That's some damn purty parsley there Dana. <eg>
Third place too!

> Cooked at a very steady 225F

You just had to go there didn't ya? <veg>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 28, 5:49*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> After the first couple of hours, the meat is just cooking, and I
> agree that exact temperature is terribly critical, though I'd
> suggest 325F is the highest you might want to go.

Of course I meant "I agree that exact temperature is *not*
terribly critical".

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 28, 6:14*pm, Duwop > wrote:
> On May 28, 5:38*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
>
> > On May 27, 3:01*pm, "spud" > wrote:

> > Here's our brisket turn-in from the Edenton Hogfest earlier this month
> > on flickr:

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/31989099@N00/3574002085/

> That's some damn purty parsley there Dana. <eg>
> Third place too!

Parsely's not required, but everyone does it, so, if you don't,
your box is going to lose points. I thought the parsley was
sorta silly until I realized it minimizes problems with sauce/juice
drips being visible and all that stuff. Competition is not just
about tasting good, they want good taste, too.

We were stoked to pick up third place.

> > Cooked at a very steady 225F

> You just had to go there didn't ya? <veg>

Heh, I am a stinker sometimes. Of course, the other part of that
story is that I cook using a BBQ Guru DigiQ II, temperature
control is rarely a problem. It's nice to be able to sleep through
the night while the cooker chugs away.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana K6JQ wrote:
>>> I had no problem keeping it at 225-250 on my CG DUO (charcoal side,
>>> with SFB), but above that would be really difficult.

>> I think Piedmont is right on with the temperature.
>>
>> That said, I don't care what all the Texans tell you, it's a crappy piece of
>> meat. But I guess that's the object. Value. A pork shoulder is much
>> easier to work with.
>>
>> I think you can do a better job with a brisket on a ceramic que due to the
>> very low air flow and higher humidity. I have a professionally built
>> smoker, double wall insulated, burning gas and wood. And I have a hard time
>> getting a brisket that is anything but sliced real thin sandwich meat, or
>> chopped beef. The best I've done, and this is per the Oklahoma Joe
>> instructional videos, is to smoke it for 3 or 4 hours. Wrap it tightly in
>> the heavy foil. And finish it off for another 4 hours. All at about 275
>> degrees. Let it rest for about 2 hours after that so all the juice doesn't
>> rush out when you cut it. And it is excellent, no left overs.
>>
>> I'm sure all the purists will poo poo this procedure. But it works and it
>> is good. I believe that is the critera for good bbq.
>>
>> And if Swertz says he can que a good brisket in an ECB, he is definately
>> wrapping it in the foil.

> How would you compare an ECB to a WSM?
>
> Here's our brisket turn-in from the Edenton Hogfest earlier this month
> on flickr:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/31989099@N00/3574002085/
>
> Cooked at a very steady 225F in a WSM until 192-ish internal, taken
> off/wrapped/held until sliced. Cook time was something like 14 hours,
> never wrapped, mopped or spritzed while it was cooking.
>
> Dana

That's frikkin beautiful!

Oh for a soft bun and some tasty sauce!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 28, 9:54*pm, Cleatarrior > wrote:
> Dana K6JQ wrote:

> > Here's our brisket turn-in from the Edenton Hogfest earlier this month
> > on flickr:

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/31989099@N00/3574002085/

> > Cooked at a very steady 225F in a WSM until 192-ish internal, taken
> > off/wrapped/held until sliced. *Cook time was something like 14 hours,
> > never wrapped, mopped or spritzed while it was cooking.

> > Dana

> That's frikkin beautiful!
>
> Oh for a soft bun and some tasty sauce!

Thanks! Looking at the picture makes me happy I've got an
untrimmed flat going in the cooker this weekend. Brisket lunch
at my house on Sunday ;-)

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 28, 6:37*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
> *Competition is not just
> about tasting good, they want good taste, too.

Rationalize it however you like, still looks silly to outsiders. Which
is really the point isn't it? Every sub culture needs to have it's own
traditions, lingo and ways to do things to be successful. This is just
one of them. Just an observation, not knocking it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 29, 8:21*am, Duwop > wrote:
> On May 28, 6:37*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
>
> > *Competition is not just
> > about tasting good, they want good taste, too.

> Rationalize it however you like, still looks silly to outsiders. Which
> is really the point isn't it? Every sub culture needs to have it's own
> traditions, lingo and ways to do things to be successful. This is just
> one of them. Just an observation, not knocking it.

You're totally right. I suspect the story is pretty much the same for
anyone that's been barbecuing and enjoying personal success that
decides to give competition a try. You go in thinking you've got
the "best" barbecue there is (or not knowing any better) and when
the scores come out, you (likely) find your 'cue isn't special.

Some folks say "the judges got it wrong!" and either lose interest
in competition or keep entering contests, cooking the same thing and
getting disappointing scores.

Other folks ask "what are the judges looking for?" and evolve how they
cook, learn and improve. You learn the standards and quirks of the
community if you stick around.

Do I garnish with parsley at home? Heavens no. I don't serve
food in turn-in boxes either. But how I cook at home has certainly
evolved for the better from what I've learned in the few times I've
competed.

Brisket this weekend for Sunday supper...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 29, 2:39*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> You're totally right. *I suspect the story is pretty much the same for
> anyone that's been barbecuing and enjoying personal success that
> decides to give competition a try. *You go in thinking you've got
> the "best" barbecue there is (or not knowing any better) and when
> the scores come out, you (likely) find your 'cue isn't special.

Nuttin special - that's what I tell my friends and family my BBQ is.
Must be why they eat it all up everytime I serve it.

Yep, I'm so miserable my BBQ ain't "special" to them competition
judges, I think I'll cry. -g-

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 30, 10:59*am, frohe > wrote:
> On May 29, 2:39*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
>
> > You're totally right. *I suspect the story is pretty much the same for
> > anyone that's been barbecuing and enjoying personal success that
> > decides to give competition a try. *You go in thinking you've got
> > the "best" barbecue there is (or not knowing any better) and when
> > the scores come out, you (likely) find your 'cue isn't special.

> Nuttin special - that's what I tell my friends and family my BBQ is.
> Must be why they eat it all up everytime I serve it.
>
> Yep, I'm so miserable my BBQ ain't "special" to them competition
> judges, I think I'll cry. *-g-

Precisely ;-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 27, 9:37*pm, "Brick" > wrote:

> Jeez, brisket ain't rocket science. Sqwertz isn't the only one that can get
> good brisket out of an ECB folks here have been doing it for years. I
> still have some brisket in my freezer from (too long ago to mention here)
> awhile back. It was cooked in my offset at about 270F to about 195-
> 200f internal, then wrapped and and kept in a cooler box overnight.
>
> Nobody I know cooks brisket part way and then wrap it to finish.
> Why in the hell would you do that? I cook mine nake until it's done.
> Then and only then, I wrap it and hold it in a cooler box to cool
> down and meld its flavor.

*SNIP of other good information.

What Brick said. Tell it like it is.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 31-May-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> On May 30, 10:59*am, frohe > wrote:
> > On May 29, 2:39*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
> >
> > > You're totally right. *I suspect the story is pretty much the same
> > > for
> > > anyone that's been barbecuing and enjoying personal success that
> > > decides to give competition a try. *You go in thinking you've got
> > > the "best" barbecue there is (or not knowing any better) and when
> > > the scores come out, you (likely) find your 'cue isn't special.

> > Nuttin special - that's what I tell my friends and family my BBQ is.
> > Must be why they eat it all up everytime I serve it.
> >
> > Yep, I'm so miserable my BBQ ain't "special" to them competition
> > judges, I think I'll cry. *-g-

> Precisely ;-)

Unless some friends were already there, I wouldn't walk across the
street for better 'Q' then I make. Even then, I wouldn't be going there
for the 'Q'. After a certain level of quality is achieved at home, social
atmosphere is about all that can be gained by going elsewhere.
--
Brick (Don't have to bitch about the cost of the 'sides' at home)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 31, 8:21*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 31-May-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> > > Nuttin special - that's what I tell my friends and family my BBQ is.
> > > Must be why they eat it all up everytime I serve it.

> > > Yep, I'm so miserable my BBQ ain't "special" to them competition
> > > judges, I think I'll cry. *-g-

> > Precisely ;-)

> Unless some friends were already there, I wouldn't walk across the
> street for better 'Q' then I make. Even then, I wouldn't be going there
> for the 'Q'. After a certain level of quality is achieved at home, social
> atmosphere is about all that can be gained by going elsewhere.

You raise a good point - once you're cooking good 'cue, you're in a
zone
where "better" usually just means different, not more tender or more
flavorful or... better. Just different.

BTW, had a brisket in last night, ran the cooker hotter than
usual, 270-280. Pulled the meat at 195, wrapped/toweled it,
let's see how it is at lunch. Just trying something different.

Dana

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 31-May-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> On May 31, 8:21*am, "Brick" > wrote:

> > > Precisely ;-)

> > Unless some friends were already there, I wouldn't walk across the
> > street for better 'Q' then I make. Even then, I wouldn't be going there
> > for the 'Q'. After a certain level of quality is achieved at home,
> > social
> > atmosphere is about all that can be gained by going elsewhere.

> You raise a good point - once you're cooking good 'cue, you're in a
> zone
> where "better" usually just means different, not more tender or more
> flavorful or... better. Just different.
>
> BTW, had a brisket in last night, ran the cooker hotter than
> usual, 270-280. Pulled the meat at 195, wrapped/toweled it,
> let's see how it is at lunch. Just trying something different.
>
> Dana

I've been cooking them exactly like that since you coached me
on fire control in my NB Offset. I'm using the same cooker
after six years and except for needing a new fire grate, it looks
like it'll go several more years. I expect your brisket will be
just fine. Mine always is.

--
Brick (I can smell that freshly cooked brisket from here)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 1, 4:50*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 31-May-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> > BTW, had a brisket in last night, ran the cooker hotter than
> > usual, 270-280. *Pulled the meat at 195, wrapped/toweled it,
> > let's see how it is at lunch. *Just trying something different.

> > Dana

> I've been cooking them exactly like that since you coached me
> on fire control in my NB Offset. I'm using the same cooker
> after six years and except for needing a new fire grate, it looks
> like it'll go several more years. I expect your brisket will be
> just fine. Mine always is.

I was pleased with the brisket; sliced easily, bite-tender,
worked perfectly in soft rolls (the meat has to bite apart
at least as easily as the bread, if you know what I mean).

If I didn't post a link already, here's a flickr photoset:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7619081870020/

I'm likely to stick with low-and-slow myself, but good eatin' is
good eatin' and the "right" way is the way you like it. I had to
slice off more beef several times.

> Brick *(I can smell that freshly cooked brisket from here)

Can you smell it better from a photo? :-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 1-Jun-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> On Jun 1, 4:50*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> > On 31-May-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

.. . .

> I was pleased with the brisket; sliced easily, bite-tender,
> worked perfectly in soft rolls (the meat has to bite apart
> at least as easily as the bread, if you know what I mean).
>
> If I didn't post a link already, here's a flickr photoset:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7619081870020/
>
> I'm likely to stick with low-and-slow myself, but good eatin' is
> good eatin' and the "right" way is the way you like it. I had to
> slice off more beef several times.
>
> > Brick *(I can smell that freshly cooked brisket from here)

> Can you smell it better from a photo? :-)

My smell plug-in is outdated. It's not working for posts on
flickr.

I'm wondering what you mean by high heat. I cook at ~270F.
Others cook even higher then that. Higher heat dictates that
you get the meat off quickly when it's done, else you go way
over.

(I don't indorse 270F as some kind of ideal. That's just
where my pit likes to run).

My brisket us usually sliceable, but often can be pulled as
well, or at least some of it. I no longer pull my pork butts
when I take them out of the pit. Instead, I slice them in
1/2 inch slices and vac-pak them. Later, I can serve them
as slices or I can pull them then for making sandwiches or
whatever.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 1, 11:13*pm, "Brick" > wrote:

> I'm wondering what you mean by high heat. I cook at ~270F.
> Others cook even higher then that. Higher heat dictates that
> you get the meat off quickly when it's done, else you go way
> over.

Indeed. I think the smoke permeation is different, too.
I think of 225-250 as my ideal cooking range, spikes
into 250-270 as no big deal, and 275+ as relatively
high heat.

> (I don't indorse 270F as some kind of ideal. That's just
> where my pit likes to run).

I've become spoiled with the WSM/DigiQ combination;
for the most part, I get to decide where the pit runs. When
the day comes I want to scale-up in cooking capacity, I'll
be pretty particular about good control over a broad range.

> My brisket us usually sliceable, but often can be pulled as
> well, or at least some of it. I no longer pull my pork butts
> when I take them out of the pit. Instead, I slice them in
> 1/2 inch slices and vac-pak them. Later, I can serve them
> as slices or I can pull them then for making sandwiches or
> whatever.

Excellent approach. For butts, I'll either vac-pack the butt
whole, or cut it into a few pieces and vac-pack them. Brisket
I'll do mostly the same thing, depending on the size of the
chunk, and ribs get cut into half-racks before packing.
That's a great idea about slicing the butt and packing those,
that saves warming-up too much at once.

Son's graduation party is coming up, darn, another reason to
cook.

Dana
P.S. for the hams - no Field Day plans here. Maybe I should find a
group that wants to eat good Q and maybe operate a little radio :-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana K6JQ > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> P.S. for the hams - no Field Day plans here. Maybe I should find a
> group that wants to eat good Q and maybe operate a little radio :-)

I don't even have a rig, yet! Lack o' moola. ;-(

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Dana K6JQ > typed:

>>> I've been cooking them exactly like that since you coached me
>>> on fire control in my NB Offset. I'm using the same cooker
>>> after six years and except for needing a new fire grate, it looks
>>> like it'll go several more years. I expect your brisket will be
>>> just fine. Mine always is.

>> I was pleased with the brisket; sliced easily, bite-tender,
>> worked perfectly in soft rolls (the meat has to bite apart
>> at least as easily as the bread, if you know what I mean).
>>
>> If I didn't post a link already, here's a flickr photoset:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7619081870020/
>>
>> I'm likely to stick with low-and-slow myself, but good eatin' is
>> good eatin' and the "right" way is the way you like it. I had to
>> slice off more beef several times.
>>
>>> Brick (I can smell that freshly cooked brisket from here)

>> Can you smell it better from a photo? :-)

> Duly smelt!
>
> MartyB

That was sort of a fishy reply ;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 3, 11:16*am, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> ,
> Dana K6JQ > typed:

> > We were stoked to pick up third place.

> Congratulations, that's a nice score and a good looking entry.

Thanks!

> I have mixed feelings about the garnish too... as a competitor friend said
> at the recent GAB, ""This ain't a salad contest." But you gotta do it and it
> does look nice. We actually have someone on our team who is a food stylist
> and works mainly on food photo shoots. She works wonders with parsley, so it
> almost looks like carpet in the box. OTOH, it takes her a good thirty
> minutes to do each box, and that's after prepping her parsley which takes
> her close to an hour. She also takes over arranging the entries in the box,
> and always looks for that best looking piece to feature up front. She calls
> it the "hero" piece.

You've got a real pro working on appearance - that *has* to help with
the judges. I mean, appearance *is* a scoring area.

> Anyway I am really happy anytime I see someone competing with simple
> equipment and real wood and charcoal, and doing well. Keep it up!

Thanks again - it's a pleasant kind of recreation. I haven't done it
much and I already appreciate there's things you do for competition
that make no sense at all otherwise, but there are things you learn
in competition that make better 'cue. The trick is keeping the two
straight ;-)

> >> You just had to go there didn't ya? <veg>

> > Heh, I am a stinker sometimes. *Of course, the other part of that
> > story is that I cook using a BBQ Guru DigiQ II, temperature
> > control is rarely a problem. *It's nice to be able to sleep through
> > the night while the cooker chugs away.

> I'm thinking about buying one of those doodads, they seem to be extremely
> helpful and accurate at temp control.

It's really, really nice to be able to go away and sleep or run
errands or whatever while your cooker takes care of itself. At first
I thought it was over-kill, but a couple of overnight cooks convinced
me otherwise. If you use a draft controller, just make sure to keep
an
eye on your cooker during the initial temperature stabilization. I've
had it
happen once that my cooker took off and leveled-out way above
the target temperature - if that happens, you'll need to close down
the top damper until the temperature drops below the desired
temperature, then open it back up again. However, that's only
happened once in 2 years. Everyone I know that's cooked with a
controller ends up owning one.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

a link to the cooker please, would like to read more about one i could put
meat on and go to sleep, wake up to nice food, my idea of heaven, Lee
"Dana K6JQ" > wrote in message
On May 28, 6:14 pm, Duwop > wrote:
> On May 28, 5:38 pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
>
> > On May 27, 3:01 pm, "spud" > wrote:

> > Here's our brisket turn-in from the Edenton Hogfest earlier this month
> > on flickr:

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/31989099@N00/3574002085/

> That's some damn purty parsley there Dana. <eg>
> Third place too!

Parsely's not required, but everyone does it, so, if you don't,
your box is going to lose points. I thought the parsley was
sorta silly until I realized it minimizes problems with sauce/juice
drips being visible and all that stuff. Competition is not just
about tasting good, they want good taste, too.

We were stoked to pick up third place.

> > Cooked at a very steady 225F

> You just had to go there didn't ya? <veg>

Heh, I am a stinker sometimes. Of course, the other part of that
story is that I cook using a BBQ Guru DigiQ II, temperature
control is rarely a problem. It's nice to be able to sleep through
the night while the cooker chugs away.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

it seems to me that competition q is like show cars, a hobby to showcase
skills, not a showcase of how you live your every day life, seems like it
would be fun to try someday, Lee
"Dana K6JQ" > wrote in message
On May 31, 8:21 am, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 31-May-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> > > Nuttin special - that's what I tell my friends and family my BBQ is.
> > > Must be why they eat it all up everytime I serve it.

> > > Yep, I'm so miserable my BBQ ain't "special" to them competition
> > > judges, I think I'll cry. -g-

> > Precisely ;-)

> Unless some friends were already there, I wouldn't walk across the
> street for better 'Q' then I make. Even then, I wouldn't be going there
> for the 'Q'. After a certain level of quality is achieved at home, social
> atmosphere is about all that can be gained by going elsewhere.

You raise a good point - once you're cooking good 'cue, you're in a
zone
where "better" usually just means different, not more tender or more
flavorful or... better. Just different.

BTW, had a brisket in last night, ran the cooker hotter than
usual, 270-280. Pulled the meat at 195, wrapped/toweled it,
let's see how it is at lunch. Just trying something different.

Dana

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this slicing idea is an excellent one, Lee
"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 1-Jun-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
>
>> On Jun 1, 4:50 am, "Brick" > wrote:
>> > On 31-May-2009, Dana K6JQ > wrote:

> . . .
>

>> I was pleased with the brisket; sliced easily, bite-tender,
>> worked perfectly in soft rolls (the meat has to bite apart
>> at least as easily as the bread, if you know what I mean).
>>
>> If I didn't post a link already, here's a flickr photoset:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7619081870020/
>>
>> I'm likely to stick with low-and-slow myself, but good eatin' is
>> good eatin' and the "right" way is the way you like it. I had to
>> slice off more beef several times.
>>
>> > Brick (I can smell that freshly cooked brisket from here)

>> Can you smell it better from a photo? :-)

> My smell plug-in is outdated. It's not working for posts on
> flickr.
>
> I'm wondering what you mean by high heat. I cook at ~270F.
> Others cook even higher then that. Higher heat dictates that
> you get the meat off quickly when it's done, else you go way
> over.
>
> (I don't indorse 270F as some kind of ideal. That's just
> where my pit likes to run).
>
> My brisket us usually sliceable, but often can be pulled as
> well, or at least some of it. I no longer pull my pork butts
> when I take them out of the pit. Instead, I slice them in
> 1/2 inch slices and vac-pak them. Later, I can serve them
> as slices or I can pull them then for making sandwiches or
> whatever.
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>a link to the cooker please, would like to read more about one i could put
>meat on and go to sleep, wake up to nice food, my idea of heaven, Lee
> "Dana K6JQ" > wrote in message
> On May 28, 6:14 pm, Duwop > wrote:
>> On May 28, 5:38 pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
>>
>> > On May 27, 3:01 pm, "spud" > wrote:

>> > Here's our brisket turn-in from the Edenton Hogfest earlier this month
>> > on flickr:

>> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/31989099@N00/3574002085/

>> That's some damn purty parsley there Dana. <eg>
>> Third place too!

> Parsely's not required, but everyone does it, so, if you don't,
> your box is going to lose points. I thought the parsley was
> sorta silly until I realized it minimizes problems with sauce/juice
> drips being visible and all that stuff. Competition is not just
> about tasting good, they want good taste, too.
>
> We were stoked to pick up third place.
>
>> > Cooked at a very steady 225F

>> You just had to go there didn't ya? <veg>

> Heh, I am a stinker sometimes. Of course, the other part of that
> story is that I cook using a BBQ Guru DigiQ II, temperature
> control is rarely a problem. It's nice to be able to sleep through
> the night while the cooker chugs away.

Lee, did you see I shopped last night? I looked at one of these today in
Tere Haute and now really can't wait. Was $40.00 more than I paid.

NYC gave the yackity yack because it wasn't electric..Had to be reminded I
am hopeless not helpless!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16-Jul-2009, "Stormmee" > wrote:

> it seems to me that competition q is like show cars, a hobby to showcase
> skills, not a showcase of how you live your every day life, seems like it
>
> would be fun to try someday, Lee
> "Dana K6JQ" > wrote in message
> On May 31, 8:21 am, "Brick" > wrote:

> > > Precisely ;-)

> > Unless some friends were already there, I wouldn't walk across the
> > street for better 'Q' then I make. Even then, I wouldn't be going there
> > for the 'Q'. After a certain level of quality is achieved at home,
> > social
> > atmosphere is about all that can be gained by going elsewhere.

> You raise a good point - once you're cooking good 'cue, you're in a
> zone
> where "better" usually just means different, not more tender or more
> flavorful or... better. Just different.
>
> BTW, had a brisket in last night, ran the cooker hotter than
> usual, 270-280. Pulled the meat at 195, wrapped/toweled it,
> let's see how it is at lunch. Just trying something different.
>
> Dana

Sounds like a winning plan to me Dana. I doubt that it'll even be
any different then what you're used to.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 16, 7:51*am, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> a link to the cooker please, would like to read more about one i could put
> meat on and go to sleep, wake up to nice food, my idea of heaven, Lee"Dana K6JQ" > wrote in message

Wow, Lee, at least put in a hard returns and lines between your
response and what you are replying to.

I couldn't make a lick of sense out of who was saying what. And
snipping, learn it please.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

> Wow, Lee, at least put in a hard returns and lines between your
> response and what you are replying to.
>
> I couldn't make a lick of sense out of who was saying what. And
> snipping, learn it please.

The tools are there to use for bottom posting, I don't care WHAT the excuses
are. Stormee's responses make no sense whatsoever unless you scroll through
the post several times to try and nail down just what the hell is being
talked about.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

sorry i forgot to return, but snipping is for the better than me posters, i
wanted something a link to dana's cooker i think, Lee

"Duwop" > wrote in message
On Jul 16, 7:51 am, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> a link to the cooker please, would like to read more about one i could put
> meat on and go to sleep, wake up to nice food, my idea of heaven, Lee"Dana
> K6JQ" > wrote in message

Wow, Lee, at least put in a hard returns and lines between your
response and what you are replying to.

I couldn't make a lick of sense out of who was saying what. And
snipping, learn it please.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the tools are there for YOU to use, them. so since its so easy for you then
always know i am responding to the last thing posted, No they are no way
avaliable for me to use, and if you can't accept it then please block me so
i can get on with reading about q rather than your sighted wining about
having to use a scroll bar and a little effort,

BTW, i do like your posting on q, Lee

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>
>> Wow, Lee, at least put in a hard returns and lines between your
>> response and what you are replying to.
>>
>> I couldn't make a lick of sense out of who was saying what. And
>> snipping, learn it please.

> The tools are there to use for bottom posting, I don't care WHAT the
> excuses are. Stormee's responses make no sense whatsoever unless you
> scroll through the post several times to try and nail down just what the
> hell is being talked about.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Semi-Homemade Name-Dropping Ubiquitous General Cooking 20 20-11-2014 09:20 PM
Coming soon on Semi-Homade: Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Thanksgiving Ubiquitous General Cooking 7 20-11-2006 02:21 AM
Semi-Homemade and Semi-Literate barry in indy General Cooking 2 22-02-2006 12:42 PM
Brisket Success! Fyrepup Barbecue 2 06-07-2005 03:14 AM
First shot at brisket a success (pictures) Paul Barbecue 8 16-07-2004 12:59 AM