Dirty Harry

Default Pics of home made smoker

Check out my pics on A.B.F, soory the pics suck and you can't see it in
action. I have pics with food on it but they were taken on film so they
will be a while. Thanks

Dirty Harry

Sorry my posts got rejected, they will be up right away....

Dirty Harry

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote in message
> Dirty Harry said
>
> > Sorry my posts got rejected, they will be up right away....

> I've been eagerly awaiting your pics Callahan. I like what I see. But,
> the element seems mighty small compared to my Char-Broil. How does it do
> with temp control?
>
> --
> Better living through smoking.

It takes about 15 mins to get up to 200, the max temp I've been able to
get outdoors is 250-275 measured with an oven thermometer sitting on the
grill. You might notice that one of the elements is hotter then the other.
I think this was because I was bending them into different shapes before I
found what I liked (elements are from a toaster oven). I have a few spares
and might try to replace the cooler one. However it doesn't bother me that
it can't get any hotter. If I'm leaving for a while and its windy out I
just crank it on max and don't really have to worry....I have a nice shot of
it in action on film...be patient I spent all my money on pork and have no
cash to get my slides developed ;-)
Food that has been cooked in there so far:
2 rack of baby backs,
1 rack of spare ribs,
Smoked tomatoe salsa (tomatoes, green pepers, jalinios, onions, whole
garlic)
smoked bannana halves with the skin on, honey, brown sugar, cinnimon on the
exposed part

Had a problem (disscussed in other posts) with the wood catching fire but
I've fixed that with foil and its all good. My goal was a smoker I could
toss in the car and take up to the lake without any big hastles. And since
I'm a relative bbq noob with little funds I needed something CHEAP.
Dirty Harry

Nathan Lau

Dirty Harry wrote:
> Had a problem (disscussed in other posts) with the wood catching fire but
> I've fixed that with foil and its all good. My goal was a smoker I could
> toss in the car and take up to the lake without any big hastles. And since
> I'm a relative bbq noob with little funds I needed something CHEAP.

Dirty,

If you take the smoker to the lake, where do you plug the heating
element in?

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Dirty Harry

"Nathan Lau" > wrote in message
m...

> Dirty,
>
> If you take the smoker to the lake, where do you plug the heating
> element in?

Umm, I'm thinking into the side of the cabin :-)