AlanRab

Default Slow Cooked, But Tough. Why?

On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs on
my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between 200
and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from the
rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment, the
ribs were rather tough, not tender.

What could have gone wrong?

Douglas Barber

AlanRab wrote:
> On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs on
> my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between 200
> and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from the
> rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment, the
> ribs were rather tough, not tender.
>
> What could have gone wrong?

Not long enough at that temp. Try 250 for 4 1/2 hours, or, if you're
going to stick near 220, somewhat longer. To test for doneness, with
potholders, pick the slab up by the ends and bend it a little. When you
do that and it easily breaks partway through, near the center of the
slab, they'll be tender.

Douglas Barber

Douglas Barber wrote:
> AlanRab wrote:
>
>> On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork
>> ribs on
>> my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp
>> between 200
>> and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away
>> from the
>> rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment,
>> the
>> ribs were rather tough, not tender.
>>
>> What could have gone wrong?
>>

> Not long enough at that temp. Try 250 for 4 1/2 hours, or, if you're
> going to stick near 220, somewhat longer. To test for doneness, with
> potholders, pick the slab up by the ends and bend it a little. When you
> do that and it easily breaks partway through, near the center of the
> slab, they'll be tender.

by the way, I'm assuming that these were spares...if they were smallish
baby backs they might have been over-cooked

AlanRab

If they were baby backs, they were huge ones. Looked more like spares to me.

Thanks!

> by the way, I'm assuming that these were spares...if they were smallish
> baby backs they might have been over-cooked

Paul

In article >,
"AlanRab" > wrote:

> On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs on
> my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between 200
> and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from the
> rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment, the
> ribs were rather tough, not tender.
>
> What could have gone wrong?

We did three slabs of baby backs on our Weber Genesis yesterday. Five
hours at 240 - 250 degrees. They were tender. It was our first time
doing ribs on this grill, being new at this I don't know what you did
wrong.

L. Cook

"AlanRab" > wrote in message
> On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs

on
> my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between

200
> and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from

the
> rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment, the
> ribs were rather tough, not tender.
>
> What could have gone wrong?

Maybe nothing. The meat shouldn't just fall off the bone--it would be
overdone at that point. Rather, it should tend to pull away, but with some
still sticking...does that make any sense? I think, by nature, ribs are,
and should be, a bit 'to the tooth'.

Steve Calvin

AlanRab wrote:
> BTW, how did you manage 240 on the Weber Genesis? To get that low of a temp
> on mine (with natural gas) I have to leave only one burner on, and that one
> at Low. To get to 200, I had to cut back on the gas supply valve to the
> Weber!

I have a Weber Silver Genesis. I can hold around 230-245 with the
front two burners on low and a brick (just a regular old red brick)
holding the lid open a couple of inches. the 230-245 is registered at
the back on grate level.

--
Steve

AlanRab

No two ways about it. These ribs were tough! The meat didn't want to leave
home.

"L. Cook" > wrote in message

> Maybe nothing. The meat shouldn't just fall off the bone--it would be
> overdone at that point. Rather, it should tend to pull away, but with

some
> still sticking...does that make any sense? I think, by nature, ribs are,
> and should be, a bit 'to the tooth'.

AlanRab

"Paul" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "AlanRab" > wrote:
>
> > On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs

on
> > my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between

200
> > and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from

the
> > rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment,

the
> > ribs were rather tough, not tender.
> >
> > What could have gone wrong?

> We did three slabs of baby backs on our Weber Genesis yesterday. Five
> hours at 240 - 250 degrees. They were tender. It was our first time
> doing ribs on this grill, being new at this I don't know what you did
> wrong.

L. Cook

"AlanRab" > wrote in message
> No two ways about it. These ribs were tough! The meat didn't want to leave
> home.

Try marinating them in pineapple juice for a few hours or perhaps even
overnight. Caught that tip off the food channel and am kinda anxious to try
it myself. I already tried the oak chips soaked in apple sauce--that turned
out pretty well too.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:15:10 -0400, "L. Cook" > wrote:

>"AlanRab" > wrote in message
>> No two ways about it. These ribs were tough! The meat didn't want to leave
>> home.

>Try marinating them in pineapple juice for a few hours or perhaps even
>overnight. Caught that tip off the food channel and am kinda anxious to try
>it myself.

I'd be leery of marinating them overnight, for fear of turning the
meat to mush. Pineapple juice is a fairly potent tenderizer.

> I already tried the oak chips soaked in apple sauce--that turned
>out pretty well too.

Please tell me that you meant to say "apple juice."

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Douglas Barber

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:15:10 -0400, "L. Cook" > wrote:
>

>>"AlanRab" > wrote in message
>>
>>>No two ways about it. These ribs were tough! The meat didn't want to leave
>>>home.

>>Try marinating them in pineapple juice for a few hours or perhaps even
>>overnight. Caught that tip off the food channel and am kinda anxious to try
>>it myself.

> I'd be leery of marinating them overnight, for fear of turning the
> meat to mush. Pineapple juice is a fairly potent tenderizer.

I second that, I won't use it on chicken any more after a few mushy
breast experiences - best I can recall, I marinated split breasts for
just 4 or 5 hours and in that specific case, that was too long.

L. Cook

> Please tell me that you meant to say "apple juice."

Yes, I most certainly did mean to say apple juice!!

L. Cook

"Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

leave

> >>Try marinating them in pineapple juice for a few hours or perhaps even
> >>overnight. Caught that tip off the food channel and am kinda anxious to

try
> >>it myself.

> > I'd be leery of marinating them overnight, for fear of turning the
> > meat to mush. Pineapple juice is a fairly potent tenderizer.
> >

> I second that, I won't use it on chicken any more after a few mushy
> breast experiences - best I can recall, I marinated split breasts for
> just 4 or 5 hours and in that specific case, that was too long.

Wow. Pineapple juice must be pretty potent at that. Guess when I try it I
better only marinate for a couple of hours or so. But I was only thinking
of pork or beef, not chicken or fowl.

Douglas Barber

L. Cook wrote:
> "Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
>
>>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> leave

> try

>>>I'd be leery of marinating them overnight, for fear of turning the
>>>meat to mush. Pineapple juice is a fairly potent tenderizer.
>>>

>>I second that, I won't use it on chicken any more after a few mushy
>>breast experiences - best I can recall, I marinated split breasts for
>>just 4 or 5 hours and in that specific case, that was too long.

> Wow. Pineapple juice must be pretty potent at that. Guess when I try it I
> better only marinate for a couple of hours or so. But I was only thinking
> of pork or beef, not chicken or fowl.

It's a taste that I enjoy in connection with meat and poultry, to my
generic American taste buds the way the sweet fruitiness of pineapple
compliments meat and poultry - specially poultry - is always a kind of
pleasant, unexpected surprise that makes a dish seem exotic. Guess in
the poultry case I need to come up with a sauce for table use or poured
over the bird parts on the platter right after they're off the heat,
sort of in "duck a l'orange" mode.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
> I second that, I won't use it on chicken any more after a few mushy
> breast experiences -

It is part of the aging process and happens to all women. Eating chicken
won't help

Paul

In article >,
"AlanRab" > wrote:

> BTW, how did you manage 240 on the Weber Genesis? To get that low of a temp
> on mine (with natural gas) I have to leave only one burner on, and that one
> at Low. To get to 200, I had to cut back on the gas supply valve to the
> Weber!

That's it exactly. Only one burner on, set to low. We're using
propane, that might make a difference.

We use the back burner, set to low. Place the ribs on the front so
they're not over the burner.

Last weekend, when cooking a pork butt, we had to prop the lid open just
a bit to keep the temp below 240. This weekend it was cooler, and
windier, the grill stayed between 230 and 250.
Douglas Barber

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
>
>>I second that, I won't use it on chicken any more after a few mushy
>>breast experiences -

> It is part of the aging process and happens to all women. Eating chicken
> won't help

Ah, I've been racking my brain for naught....LOL!

Douglas Barber

Paul wrote:
> In article >,
> "AlanRab" > wrote:
>

>>BTW, how did you manage 240 on the Weber Genesis? To get that low of a temp
>>on mine (with natural gas) I have to leave only one burner on, and that one
>>at Low. To get to 200, I had to cut back on the gas supply valve to the
>>Weber!

> That's it exactly. Only one burner on, set to low. We're using
> propane, that might make a difference.

Interesting question, propane vs. natural gas. Propane range (stovetop),
which I now have, doesn't seem near as hot to me as natural gas burners
were, 'pon which I used to cook on in Picksburgh. Stillers seem to have
lost their punch during same period, perhaps coincidental.

Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:45:17 GMT, Douglas Barber
> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "AlanRab" > wrote:
>>

>>>BTW, how did you manage 240 on the Weber Genesis? To get that low of a temp
>>>on mine (with natural gas) I have to leave only one burner on, and that one
>>>at Low. To get to 200, I had to cut back on the gas supply valve to the
>>>Weber!

>> That's it exactly. Only one burner on, set to low. We're using
>> propane, that might make a difference.

>Interesting question, propane vs. natural gas. Propane range (stovetop),
>which I now have, doesn't seem near as hot to me as natural gas burners
>were, 'pon which I used to cook on in Picksburgh. Stillers seem to have
>lost their punch during same period, perhaps coincidental.

Nat Gas burns a lot hotter than LPG according to my experience and as
confirmed by the gas company.

Harry

Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:45:17 GMT, Douglas Barber
> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "AlanRab" > wrote:
>>

>>>BTW, how did you manage 240 on the Weber Genesis? To get that low of a temp
>>>on mine (with natural gas) I have to leave only one burner on, and that one
>>>at Low. To get to 200, I had to cut back on the gas supply valve to the
>>>Weber!

>> That's it exactly. Only one burner on, set to low. We're using
>> propane, that might make a difference.

>Interesting question, propane vs. natural gas. Propane range (stovetop),
>which I now have, doesn't seem near as hot to me as natural gas burners
>were, 'pon which I used to cook on in Picksburgh. Stillers seem to have
>lost their punch during same period, perhaps coincidental.

Nat Gas burns a lot hotter than LPG according to my experience and as
confirmed by the gas company.

Harry
Tyler Hopper

"AlanRab" > wrote in message
> On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs on
> my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between 200
> and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from the
> rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment, the
> ribs were rather tough, not tender.
>
> What could have gone wrong?

I know a lot of folks here rely on the "pull back from the bone" doneness test
but I found it to be inconsistent.

My test is grab one end of the rack with tongs and try to fold them over to the
other end. If the meat cracks easily, they're done.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"AlanRab" > wrote in message
> On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs on
> my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between 200
> and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from the
> rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment, the
> ribs were rather tough, not tender.
>
> What could have gone wrong?

I know a lot of folks here rely on the "pull back from the bone" doneness test
but I found it to be inconsistent.

My test is grab one end of the rack with tongs and try to fold them over to the
other end. If the meat cracks easily, they're done.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:15:10 -0400, "L. Cook" > wrote:
>

> >"AlanRab" > wrote in message
> >> No two ways about it. These ribs were tough! The meat didn't want to leave
> >> home.

> >Try marinating them in pineapple juice for a few hours or perhaps even
> >overnight. Caught that tip off the food channel and am kinda anxious to try
> >it myself.

> I'd be leery of marinating them overnight, for fear of turning the
> meat to mush. Pineapple juice is a fairly potent tenderizer.

That's exactly what I thought. It does contain papain and seems it would
demolish just about anything overnight.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> >>Try marinating them in pineapple juice for a few hours or perhaps even
> >>overnight. Caught that tip off the food channel and am kinda anxious to try
> >>it myself.

> > I'd be leery of marinating them overnight, for fear of turning the
> > meat to mush. Pineapple juice is a fairly potent tenderizer.
> >

> I second that, I won't use it on chicken any more after a few mushy
> breast experiences

Personally, I like mushy breast experiences. ;-)

BOB

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
>> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

try

>>> I'd be leery of marinating them overnight, for fear of turning the
>>> meat to mush. Pineapple juice is a fairly potent tenderizer.
>>>

>> I second that, I won't use it on chicken any more after a few mushy
>> breast experiences

> Personally, I like mushy breast experiences. ;-)

Yeah, but firmer is better, but *not* rubbery.
<eg>

BOB

BOB

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
>> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

try

>>> I'd be leery of marinating them overnight, for fear of turning the
>>> meat to mush. Pineapple juice is a fairly potent tenderizer.
>>>

>> I second that, I won't use it on chicken any more after a few mushy
>> breast experiences

> Personally, I like mushy breast experiences. ;-)

Yeah, but firmer is better, but *not* rubbery.
<eg>

BOB

BOB

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "AlanRab" > wrote in message
>> On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs on
>> my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between 200
>> and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from the
>> rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment, the
>> ribs were rather tough, not tender.
>>
>> What could have gone wrong?
>>

> I know a lot of folks here rely on the "pull back from the bone" doneness test
> but I found it to be inconsistent.

I've had some excellent ribs with the bones just barely protruding.

> My test is grab one end of the rack with tongs and try to fold them over to

the
> other end. If the meat cracks easily, they're done.

That works best, IMO, also

BOB

BOB

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "AlanRab" > wrote in message
>> On the 4th I vowed to be patient and cook a couple of racks of pork ribs on
>> my trusty ol' natural-gas-fired Weber Genesis. I kept the temp between 200
>> and 220 and let them cook for four hours. The meat had pulled away from the
>> rib ends somewhat, so I figured they were done. To my disappointment, the
>> ribs were rather tough, not tender.
>>
>> What could have gone wrong?
>>

> I know a lot of folks here rely on the "pull back from the bone" doneness test
> but I found it to be inconsistent.

I've had some excellent ribs with the bones just barely protruding.

> My test is grab one end of the rack with tongs and try to fold them over to

the
> other end. If the meat cracks easily, they're done.

That works best, IMO, also

BOB

Dana Myers

BOB wrote:

> Tyler Hopper wrote:

>>Personally, I like mushy breast experiences. ;-)

> Yeah, but firmer is better, but *not* rubbery.
> <eg>

You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...

;-)

Dana Myers

BOB wrote:

> Tyler Hopper wrote:

>>Personally, I like mushy breast experiences. ;-)

> Yeah, but firmer is better, but *not* rubbery.
> <eg>

You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...

;-)

M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>
> > Tyler Hopper wrote:

> >>Personally, I like mushy breast experiences. ;-)

> > Yeah, but firmer is better, but *not* rubbery.
> > <eg>

> You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...
>
> ;-)

Anything over a mouthful is wasted.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>
> > Tyler Hopper wrote:

> >>Personally, I like mushy breast experiences. ;-)

> > Yeah, but firmer is better, but *not* rubbery.
> > <eg>

> You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...
>
> ;-)

Anything over a mouthful is wasted.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Jack Sloan

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 8-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
>
> > BOB wrote:

> > > Yeah, but firmer is better, but *not* rubbery.
> > > <eg>

> > You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...
> >
> > ;-)

> Anything over a mouthful is wasted.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Ive always had an affinity for "wasteful" women...even as a child.
Jack

Dana Myers

Jack Sloan wrote:

> "M&M" > wrote in message

>>>You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...
>>>
>>>;-)

>>Anything over a mouthful is wasted.

> Ive always had an affinity for "wasteful" women...even as a child.

Sometimes, it's all about the presentation and not about
the portion size.

Cheers,
Dana

Dana Myers

Jack Sloan wrote:

> "M&M" > wrote in message

>>>You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...
>>>
>>>;-)

>>Anything over a mouthful is wasted.

> Ive always had an affinity for "wasteful" women...even as a child.

Sometimes, it's all about the presentation and not about
the portion size.

Cheers,
Dana
M&M

On 9-Jul-2004, "Jack Sloan" > wrote:

> "M&M" > wrote in message

> > > You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...
> > >
> > > ;-)

> > Anything over a mouthful is wasted.
> >
> > --
> > M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

> Ive always had an affinity for "wasteful" women...even as a child.
> Jack

I've been caught in my own trap. You're not supposed to know that
I lie a lot.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 9-Jul-2004, "Jack Sloan" > wrote:

> "M&M" > wrote in message

> > > You know what they say.... "More bounce, to the ounce"...
> > >
> > > ;-)

> > Anything over a mouthful is wasted.
> >
> > --
> > M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

> Ive always had an affinity for "wasteful" women...even as a child.
> Jack

I've been caught in my own trap. You're not supposed to know that
I lie a lot.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
BOB

Dana Myers wrote:
> Jack Sloan wrote:

>>> Anything over a mouthful is wasted.

>> Ive always had an affinity for "wasteful" women...even as a child.

> Sometimes, it's all about the presentation and not about
> the portion size.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Quality before quantity?
You bet! But quantity *is* also important.

BOB

BOB