Wayne

Default Advice Needed Please

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> How can I nicely tell him just not to grill anymore until we can
> afford the WSM and then Momma's takin' over!?!?
>
> kili

Tell him that it makes you sick and that it's a health risk. That much
lighter fluid is surely to be a carcinogen.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> How can I nicely tell him just not to grill anymore until we can
> afford the WSM and then Momma's takin' over!?!?
>
> kili

Oh, and, sometimes tact just isn't applicable.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Charles Demas

In article >,
kilikini > wrote:
>I have been a lurker of this NG for years, but have been a not-so-active
>poster for about 4 months. I have learned so much from you folks that if I
>had the right cooker, I think I could actually BBQ.
>
>Trouble is my boyfriend. He thinks he's the ultimate grillmeister. When I
>try to nicely ask - not nag - why he's using an entire can of lighter fluid
>on the KINGSFORD briquettes he tells me that it has to soak in. All I taste
>when I eat is lighter fluid. He thinks it's the bomb. (I guess it is
>borderline explosive. he he he)
>
>My question truly is, has anyone else in this group had to tactfully educate
>a person in the fine art of grilling & BBQ because you just can't eat
>another bite of their food? The S/O gets really offended by any
>suggestions, but I have such a hard time eating the food! That lighter
>taste stays with me until the next day and it gives me terrible indigestion.
>(Maybe I'm whining, but you haven't tasted this stuff.....)
>
>How can I nicely tell him just not to grill anymore until we can afford the
>WSM and then Momma's takin' over!?!?

Buy him a weber chimney charcoal starter and tell him that
you saw a show on tv of award winning outdoor cooks and that
they used it to start their charcoal with just a sheet or two
of newspaper. Then ask him to try it out right then.

Remember to praise him along the way and at the end. :-)

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

"kilikini" > wrote:
> []
> Trouble is my boyfriend. He thinks he's the ultimate grillmeister. When
> I try to nicely ask - not nag - why he's using an entire can of lighter
> fluid on the KINGSFORD briquettes he tells me that it has to soak in.[]

KINGSFORD briquettes are yer problem, but get Greg ta use Everclear instead
of lighter fluid ta get 'em goin'. That'll be one step up, anyhow.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Consider dumpin' him!

http://alexslemonade.com/
BigDog

wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> "kilikini" > wrote:
>> []
>> Trouble is my boyfriend. He thinks he's the ultimate grillmeister.
>> When I try to nicely ask - not nag - why he's using an entire can of
>> lighter fluid on the KINGSFORD briquettes he tells me that it has to
>> soak in.[]

> KINGSFORD briquettes are yer problem, but get Greg ta use Everclear
> instead of lighter fluid ta get 'em goin'. That'll be one step up,
> anyhow.

Dammit Nick, that's alcohol abuse.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

bbq

kilikini wrote:

> I have been a lurker of this NG for years, but have been a not-so-active
> poster for about 4 months. I have learned so much from you folks that if I
> had the right cooker, I think I could actually BBQ.
>
> Trouble is my boyfriend. He thinks he's the ultimate grillmeister. When I
> try to nicely ask - not nag - why he's using an entire can of lighter fluid
> on the KINGSFORD briquettes he tells me that it has to soak in. All I taste
> when I eat is lighter fluid. He thinks it's the bomb. (I guess it is
> borderline explosive. he he he)
>
> My question truly is, has anyone else in this group had to tactfully educate
> a person in the fine art of grilling & BBQ because you just can't eat
> another bite of their food? The S/O gets really offended by any
> suggestions, but I have such a hard time eating the food! That lighter
> taste stays with me until the next day and it gives me terrible indigestion.
> (Maybe I'm whining, but you haven't tasted this stuff.....)
>
> How can I nicely tell him just not to grill anymore until we can afford the
> WSM and then Momma's takin' over!?!?

Not so sure you can 'tactfully educate' a person that is not interested
in BBQ school. I think you need to take over the grilling NOW. He
probably ain't gonna like it, but hey, you been around here long enough
to be the 'Q expert' in your household. IMO, cooking/grilling/q'en are
gender neutral activities. Were not living in the 50's anymore.

I responded to one of your pic posts about getting him committed to a
WSM. I will retract that and say get yourself a chimney starter ASAP
and use it. Show him YOU DON'T NEED LIGHTER FLUID. Show him the the
Commandments of BBQ. Post them if you have to, on your refrigerator
door or bulletin board.

It might be time to say 'It's my or no way'. Admit to him you get ill
from the fluid. A chimney starter is a very important and inexpensive
first step.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:20:31 GMT, bbq > wrote:

>It might be time to say 'It's my or no way'. Admit to him you get ill
>from the fluid. A chimney starter is a very important and inexpensive
>first step.

Add to the chimney a big bag of lump, which doesn't need any lighter
fluid.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
bbq

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> Add to the chimney a big bag of lump, which doesn't need any lighter
> fluid.

She may not have access to lump in Maui. If she can locate some natural
hardwood briquettes with no petroleum based binding agents, she is well
on her way to better tasting/healthier Q.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

frohe

kilikini wrote:
> can't eat another bite of their food? The S/O gets really offended
> by any suggestions, but I have such a hard time eating the food!
> That lighter taste stays with me until the next day and it gives me
> terrible indigestion.

Honesty never hurt anyone, Kili. Tell the dude the truth. If he
really cares about you, he'll listen. If he don't, y'all got bigger
issues than BBQ.

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Douglas Barber

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:20:31 GMT, bbq > wrote:
>
> >It might be time to say 'It's my or no way'. Admit to him you get ill
> >from the fluid. A chimney starter is a very important and inexpensive
> >first step.

> Add to the chimney a big bag of lump, which doesn't need any lighter
> fluid.

And maybe see if the two of you can round up and chunk some of some of
that Kiawe wood, for a little smokey accent with local color..."Kiawe
(pronounced key-ah-vey) is indigenous to Hawaii and is related to
mesquite. It's sweet and strong and works well with beef, fish, or
poultry. The wood is very dense and heavy with a dark, smooth, thin
bark. You won't find kiawe in stores...I am fortunate to have a friend
who brings me this wood from Hawaii. Give it a try if you're able to
acquire some," according to
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html.
L. Cook

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:20:31 GMT, bbq > wrote:
>
> >It might be time to say 'It's my or no way'. Admit to him you get ill
> >from the fluid. A chimney starter is a very important and inexpensive
> >first step.

> Add to the chimney a big bag of lump, which doesn't need any lighter
> fluid.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

Just curious. I don't know that I've ever used lump charcoal, but you say
it doesn't need lighter fluid. Really? It lights easily on its' own, or
are you advocating another meathod of igniting it, such as with paper? I
typically use a small squirt of charcoal lighter fluid on your typical
briquette and wait for the white. However, I may get some lump if you feel
it is superior. Sorry for straying off topic.

M&M

On 5-Jul-2004, bbq > wrote:

> kilikini wrote:
>
> > I have been a lurker of this NG for years, but have been a not-so-active
> > poster for about 4 months. I have learned so much from you folks that
> > if I
> > had the right cooker, I think I could actually BBQ.
> >
> > Trouble is my boyfriend. He thinks he's the ultimate grillmeister.
> > When I try to nicely ask - not nag - why he's using an entire can of
> > lighter
> > fluid on the KINGSFORD briquettes he tells me that it has to soak in.
> > All I
> > taste when I eat is lighter fluid. He thinks it's the bomb. (I guess it
> > is
> > borderline explosive. he he he)

<snip>

> Not so sure you can 'tactfully educate' a person that is not interested
> in BBQ school. I think you need to take over the grilling NOW. He
> probably ain't gonna like it, but hey, you been around here long enough
> to be the 'Q expert' in your household. IMO, cooking/grilling/q'en are
> gender neutral activities. Were not living in the 50's anymore.
>
> I responded to one of your pic posts about getting him committed to a
> WSM. I will retract that and say get yourself a chimney starter ASAP
> and use it. Show him YOU DON'T NEED LIGHTER FLUID. Show him the the
> Commandments of BBQ. Post them if you have to, on your refrigerator
> door or bulletin board.

You don't even need to buy a chimney starter. I used a 3# coffee can for
years in conjunction with a pair of pliers to pick that hot bitch up. Just
punch a series of holes through the side of the can around the bottom using
an ordinary old beer can opener. Then cut out both ends of the can. Actually
you don't even have to punch the holes if you can get at the bottom to light
the paper. You can't carry it around filled with fuel, but you can set it on
the
grill stuff some news paper in the bottom and fill it with charcoal. You're
off
to the races. Once it gets lit good pick the can out with a pair of pliers.
This
is one of those ways you can prove how tough you are. You can also burn
holes in your best new shirt, but you can do that with a real chimney
starter
too.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Jack Curry

snipped-

Rent the old movie "The Burning Bed," with Farah Fawcett. Make him watch it
while you hold a can of lighter fluid and a pack of matches.

Tell him, "This stuff smells really bad when it burns."

Jack Curry

bbq

L. Cook wrote:

> Just curious. I don't know that I've ever used lump charcoal, but you say
> it doesn't need lighter fluid. Really? It lights easily on its' own, or
> are you advocating another meathod of igniting it, such as with paper? I
> typically use a small squirt of charcoal lighter fluid on your typical
> briquette and wait for the white. However, I may get some lump if you feel
> it is superior. Sorry for straying off topic.

No fluid is EVER necessary to start briquettes or lump. With a chimney
starter, add your fuel, crumble up 1 or 2 sheets of newspaper, put in
bottom of chimney and light the paper. Briquettes are ready in 20
minutes, lump I have seen ready in about 10 minutes. Lump needs not to
be ashed over.

Weber also sells starter cubes. Place your fuel in your cooker pyramid
style and place 2 or 3 cubes under the fuel and light the cubes. 20 or
so minutes later spread out your fuel and cook.

So these are 2 ways to get fuel going WITHOUT fluid. Have read of other
ways people use to.

No fluid is EVER needed to start briquettes or lump. I mentioned it
twice on purpose. Once you stop using fluid, you will never look back.
You might think 'I have heard that before, but didn't really believe
it'. Believe it. Try it next time you grill or Q.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

L. Cook

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:40:11 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >My question truly is, has anyone else in this group had to tactfully

educate
> >a person in the fine art of grilling & BBQ because you just can't eat
> >another bite of their food? The S/O gets really offended by any
> >suggestions, but I have such a hard time eating the food! That lighter
> >taste stays with me until the next day and it gives me terrible

indigestion.
> >(Maybe I'm whining, but you haven't tasted this stuff.....)
> >
> >How can I nicely tell him just not to grill anymore until we can afford

the
> >WSM and then Momma's takin' over!?!?

> Show him that you can light 15-20 briquettes (for your Smokey Joe)
> with only 2.5oz's of lighter fluid.
>
> A friend of mine uses a half a can of fluid. I have shown him the
> light (literally) that you only need to sqwert on about 2.5 ounces
> (think a fifth of a can of that light beer you drink). Let it
> soak for 3 minutes, then light. Then hide the can. Wait 15-20
> minutes and you're ready to go.
>
> I'm sure all the rest of the posts here will tell you to get a
> chimney starter, but lighter fluid is just fine, too, if you use
> it properly. Make sure you only squirt the coals, not the sides
> of the grill.
>
> -sw

True, and if you wait 15 to 20 minutes for the fluid to burn off, the issue
of whether you started with fluid or newspaper is moot.

BigDog > wrote:
> > "kilikini" > wrote:
> >> []
> >> Trouble is my boyfriend. He thinks he's the ultimate grillmeister.
> >> When I try to nicely ask - not nag - why he's using an entire can of
> >> lighter fluid on the KINGSFORD briquettes he tells me that it has to
> >> soak in.[]

> > KINGSFORD briquettes are yer problem, but get Greg ta use Everclear
> > instead of lighter fluid ta get 'em goin'. That'll be one step up,
> > anyhow.
> >

> Dammit Nick, that's alcohol abuse.

Flambé, mon ami, flambé!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://alexslemonade.com/
Jon Choate

> Thanks! I think that's the route I'm going to go. If you used it for
> years, then there's no reason I can't. I've got that little weber silver
> smokey joe thing, so it's kind of small for a regular chimney anyhow, I'd
> think. Coffee can sounds just like the way to go.
>
> Thanks for the instructions!
>
> kili

First let me say, I am so glad I found this ng....

Second, from a GA country boy.... your smoky joe silver should have
two racks, a small one for the charcoal, and a larger one for the
food. Using the small rack and the vent holes at the bottom negates
the need for a charcoal starter. I have a small kettle grill similar
to the smoky joe I use for the base of my stand-up smoker, and all I
do is loosely wad up a coupla ripped sheets of newsprint, place them
under the charcoal grate, then load up with your fuel of choice. Light
using a match or long lighter thru the vent holes, and wait 10
minutes. This always works for me.

On a side note, I read a recommendation in a cookbook to spritz a
sheet of your newsprint with oil or non-stick cooking spray to make it
burn longer. I have tried this, but cannot really notice a
difference...except some dark smoke at the beginning...:>
BigDog

wrote in alt.food.barbecue
>> Dammit Nick, that's alcohol abuse.

> Flambé, mon ami, flambé!

Still a waste of good alcohol, IMHO my friend.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
Nathan Lau

kilikini wrote:

> "frohe" > wrote in message
>
>>kilikini wrote:
>>
>>>can't eat another bite of their food? The S/O gets really offended
>>>by any suggestions, but I have such a hard time eating the food!
>>>That lighter taste stays with me until the next day and it gives me
>>>terrible indigestion.

>>Honesty never hurt anyone, Kili. Tell the dude the truth. If he
>>really cares about you, he'll listen. If he don't, y'all got bigger
>>issues than BBQ.

> I think if he comes home from work and sees me at the Weber, I won't need to
> tell him the truth! LOL. He should figure it out on his own at that point.
> But I've made up my mind. Depending upon my work schedule today, I'm going
> to the beach and grabbing some Kiawe chunks. When he comes home from work
> today food will be cookin'. What can he say?

Be sure take a pic of the look on his face.

Good luck!

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:26:28 -0400, "L. Cook" > wrote:

>Just curious. I don't know that I've ever used lump charcoal, but you say
>it doesn't need lighter fluid. Really? It lights easily on its' own, or
>are you advocating another meathod of igniting it, such as with paper?

I've lit lump before with a propane torch, using MAPPS gas. It spits
and sparks, though, so now I use a two or three chunks of firestarter,
lighting them with the propane torch.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

BigDog > wrote:
> wrote in alt.food.barbecue
> >> Dammit Nick, that's alcohol abuse.

> > Flambé, mon ami, flambé!
> >

> Still a waste of good alcohol, IMHO my friend.

Yeah. I know. But the poor baby's gotta deal with some idiot using lighter
fluid! Maybe Mineral Spirits or Nitromethanol would be an OK compromise.
;~/

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://alexslemonade.com/
Miles

kilikini wrote:

> How can I nicely tell him just not to grill anymore until we can afford the
> WSM and then Momma's takin' over!?!?

Why not do the grilling yourself? Or is he too macho to allow a woman
to grill or bbq?

Another idea is to buy him a decent charcoal starter contraption. I
haven't tried them myself but supposed to save time and little or no
lighter fluid.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:30:48 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
>[8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
>lasts about a year before it moops out.

Electric starters are no-muss, no-fuss, but it's wise to have a spare
around. Mine have lasted maybe a year or so, at $10 a pop. Stopped
buying them recently because I just got tired of replacing them.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:30:48 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
>[8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
>lasts about a year before it moops out.

Electric starters are no-muss, no-fuss, but it's wise to have a spare
around. Mine have lasted maybe a year or so, at $10 a pop. Stopped
buying them recently because I just got tired of replacing them.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:36:45 GMT, Nathan Lau
> wrote:

>kilikini wrote:

>>>Honesty never hurt anyone, Kili. Tell the dude the truth. If he
>>>really cares about you, he'll listen. If he don't, y'all got bigger
>>>issues than BBQ.

>> I think if he comes home from work and sees me at the Weber, I won't need to
>> tell him the truth! LOL. He should figure it out on his own at that point.
>> But I've made up my mind. Depending upon my work schedule today, I'm going
>> to the beach and grabbing some Kiawe chunks. When he comes home from work
>> today food will be cookin'. What can he say?

>Be sure take a pic of the look on his face.
>
>Good luck!

I'm coming in a little late her. I have tried chimneys and given up
because ;
our local news print is treated and doesn't burn worth a hoot
I get ashes everywhere
emptying it into my [#3] has produced enough burn marks from
straying embers that I've had to change the deck carpeting
I find it a clumsy and slow procedure.

I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
and they are expensive when you think about it.

I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
[8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
lasts about a year before it moops out.

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:36:45 GMT, Nathan Lau
> wrote:

>kilikini wrote:

>>>Honesty never hurt anyone, Kili. Tell the dude the truth. If he
>>>really cares about you, he'll listen. If he don't, y'all got bigger
>>>issues than BBQ.

>> I think if he comes home from work and sees me at the Weber, I won't need to
>> tell him the truth! LOL. He should figure it out on his own at that point.
>> But I've made up my mind. Depending upon my work schedule today, I'm going
>> to the beach and grabbing some Kiawe chunks. When he comes home from work
>> today food will be cookin'. What can he say?

>Be sure take a pic of the look on his face.
>
>Good luck!

I'm coming in a little late her. I have tried chimneys and given up
because ;
our local news print is treated and doesn't burn worth a hoot
I get ashes everywhere
emptying it into my [#3] has produced enough burn marks from
straying embers that I've had to change the deck carpeting
I find it a clumsy and slow procedure.

I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
and they are expensive when you think about it.

I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
[8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
lasts about a year before it moops out.

Harry
Rick Simms

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:40:11 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I have been a lurker of this NG for years, but have been a not-so-active
>poster for about 4 months. I have learned so much from you folks that if I
>had the right cooker, I think I could actually BBQ.
>
>Trouble is my boyfriend. He thinks he's the ultimate grillmeister. When I
>try to nicely ask - not nag - why he's using an entire can of lighter fluid
>on the KINGSFORD briquettes he tells me that it has to soak in. All I taste
>when I eat is lighter fluid. He thinks it's the bomb. (I guess it is
>borderline explosive. he he he)
>
>My question truly is, has anyone else in this group had to tactfully educate
>a person in the fine art of grilling & BBQ because you just can't eat
>another bite of their food? The S/O gets really offended by any
>suggestions, but I have such a hard time eating the food! That lighter
>taste stays with me until the next day and it gives me terrible indigestion.
>(Maybe I'm whining, but you haven't tasted this stuff.....)
>
>How can I nicely tell him just not to grill anymore until we can afford the
>WSM and then Momma's takin' over!?!?
>
>kili

kili,

Just in case "nicely/tactfully" doesn't work.

http://www.slugger.com/TPX_BASEBALL/...S/MLBC271.HTML

34" white ash

Apply directly to can of lighter fluid- multiple times.

Ask if there are any questions.

Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Rick Simms

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:40:11 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I have been a lurker of this NG for years, but have been a not-so-active
>poster for about 4 months. I have learned so much from you folks that if I
>had the right cooker, I think I could actually BBQ.
>
>Trouble is my boyfriend. He thinks he's the ultimate grillmeister. When I
>try to nicely ask - not nag - why he's using an entire can of lighter fluid
>on the KINGSFORD briquettes he tells me that it has to soak in. All I taste
>when I eat is lighter fluid. He thinks it's the bomb. (I guess it is
>borderline explosive. he he he)
>
>My question truly is, has anyone else in this group had to tactfully educate
>a person in the fine art of grilling & BBQ because you just can't eat
>another bite of their food? The S/O gets really offended by any
>suggestions, but I have such a hard time eating the food! That lighter
>taste stays with me until the next day and it gives me terrible indigestion.
>(Maybe I'm whining, but you haven't tasted this stuff.....)
>
>How can I nicely tell him just not to grill anymore until we can afford the
>WSM and then Momma's takin' over!?!?
>
>kili

kili,

Just in case "nicely/tactfully" doesn't work.

http://www.slugger.com/TPX_BASEBALL/...S/MLBC271.HTML

34" white ash

Apply directly to can of lighter fluid- multiple times.

Ask if there are any questions.

Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Dana Myers

Default Alternative to Weber cubes (was Advice Needed Please)

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
> and they are expensive when you think about it.

My alternative to Weber cubes is a brick of wood chip/parafin
fire starter, I hack off a lump or two for each chimney-load.
They're basically a big Duraflame log of sorts, but I've
never had a problem with lingering taste/odor, and they're
fairly cheap.

> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
> [8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
> lasts about a year before it moops out.

I've been thinking about hunting down another electric starter,
I used to use them myself. If you take care to get them out of
pile once it starts and not let it sit in the fire, they seem
to last longer.

Cheers,
Dana
Dana Myers

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
> and they are expensive when you think about it.

My alternative to Weber cubes is a brick of wood chip/parafin
fire starter, I hack off a lump or two for each chimney-load.
They're basically a big Duraflame log of sorts, but I've
never had a problem with lingering taste/odor, and they're
fairly cheap.

> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
> [8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
> lasts about a year before it moops out.

I've been thinking about hunting down another electric starter,
I used to use them myself. If you take care to get them out of
pile once it starts and not let it sit in the fire, they seem
to last longer.

Cheers,
Dana
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Harry
Demidavicius > wrote:

> I'm coming in a little late her. I have tried chimneys and given up
> because ;
> our local news print is treated and doesn't burn worth a hoot
> I get ashes everywhere
> emptying it into my [#3] has produced enough burn marks from
> straying embers that I've had to change the deck carpeting
> I find it a clumsy and slow procedure.
>
> I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
> and they are expensive when you think about it.
>
> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
> [8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
> lasts about a year before it moops out.

I usually fill my chimney with the leavings from the last cook, sweep
the ashes through the grate, then I start a Weber cube on top of a pile
of lump underneath the chimney. Pour or place whatever rest of the lump
around the chimney and in 10 minutes-dump and stir.
I am working on using up a container of that green napalm stuff from
WalMart. It's a little slower to start than the Cubes.
I like the cubes best of all. They're always $1.99/packat Lowe's - BBQ
Galoot charger $3.99 for the same!
I've never gotten more than 3 uses out of any of my electric starters

monroe(meltman)
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Harry
Demidavicius > wrote:

> I'm coming in a little late her. I have tried chimneys and given up
> because ;
> our local news print is treated and doesn't burn worth a hoot
> I get ashes everywhere
> emptying it into my [#3] has produced enough burn marks from
> straying embers that I've had to change the deck carpeting
> I find it a clumsy and slow procedure.
>
> I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
> and they are expensive when you think about it.
>
> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
> [8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
> lasts about a year before it moops out.

I usually fill my chimney with the leavings from the last cook, sweep
the ashes through the grate, then I start a Weber cube on top of a pile
of lump underneath the chimney. Pour or place whatever rest of the lump
around the chimney and in 10 minutes-dump and stir.
I am working on using up a container of that green napalm stuff from
WalMart. It's a little slower to start than the Cubes.
I like the cubes best of all. They're always $1.99/packat Lowe's - BBQ
Galoot charger $3.99 for the same!
I've never gotten more than 3 uses out of any of my electric starters

monroe(meltman)
John H Ellis

I have used Mapp Gas to start the charcoal for some time and just a 10
second or so burn will get the charcoal going.
Look for it in the plumbing section in your favorite hardware store.

John H Ellis

I have used Mapp Gas to start the charcoal for some time and just a 10
second or so burn will get the charcoal going.
Look for it in the plumbing section in your favorite hardware store.

Mojo

I am new to charcoal grills. I picked up a weber chimney starter
along with my Weber kettle grill. It works great!! I used Kingford
briquettes and they were ready in less than 10 minutes.

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:32:23 GMT, Dana Myers > wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
>> and they are expensive when you think about it.

>My alternative to Weber cubes is a brick of wood chip/parafin
>fire starter, I hack off a lump or two for each chimney-load.
>They're basically a big Duraflame log of sorts, but I've
>never had a problem with lingering taste/odor, and they're
>fairly cheap.
>
>> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
>> [8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
>> lasts about a year before it moops out.

>I've been thinking about hunting down another electric starter,
>I used to use them myself. If you take care to get them out of
>pile once it starts and not let it sit in the fire, they seem
>to last longer.
>
>Cheers,
>Dana

Mojo

I am new to charcoal grills. I picked up a weber chimney starter
along with my Weber kettle grill. It works great!! I used Kingford
briquettes and they were ready in less than 10 minutes.

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:32:23 GMT, Dana Myers > wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
>> and they are expensive when you think about it.

>My alternative to Weber cubes is a brick of wood chip/parafin
>fire starter, I hack off a lump or two for each chimney-load.
>They're basically a big Duraflame log of sorts, but I've
>never had a problem with lingering taste/odor, and they're
>fairly cheap.
>
>> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
>> [8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
>> lasts about a year before it moops out.

>I've been thinking about hunting down another electric starter,
>I used to use them myself. If you take care to get them out of
>pile once it starts and not let it sit in the fire, they seem
>to last longer.
>
>Cheers,
>Dana

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:57:29 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> wrote:

>In article >, Harry
>Demidavicius > wrote:
>

>> I'm coming in a little late her. I have tried chimneys and given up
>> because ;
>> our local news print is treated and doesn't burn worth a hoot
>> I get ashes everywhere
>> emptying it into my [#3] has produced enough burn marks from
>> straying embers that I've had to change the deck carpeting
>> I find it a clumsy and slow procedure.
>>
>> I have used the Weber cubes, but they have a funny smell at start-up,
>> and they are expensive when you think about it.
>>
>> I have reverted back to the electric fire starter - it's neat, quick,
>> [8 minutes to good coals and 8-10 more for a good ember base], and
>> lasts about a year before it moops out.
>>

>I usually fill my chimney with the leavings from the last cook, sweep
>the ashes through the grate, then I start a Weber cube on top of a pile
>of lump underneath the chimney. Pour or place whatever rest of the lump
>around the chimney and in 10 minutes-dump and stir.
>I am working on using up a container of that green napalm stuff from
>WalMart. It's a little slower to start than the Cubes.
>I like the cubes best of all. They're always $1.99/packat Lowe's - BBQ
>Galoot charger $3.99 for the same!
>I've never gotten more than 3 uses out of any of my electric starters
>
>monroe(meltman)

You're not supposed to cook with them, Monroe, just start the coals,
eh? <g>

Harry
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Harry
Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:57:29 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> > wrote:
>
> >I've never gotten more than 3 uses out of any of my electric starters
> >
> >monroe(meltman)

> You're not supposed to cook with them, Monroe, just start the coals,
> eh? <g>

I always wondered why they didn't have thermostat knobs on them
thangs...
A heartbeat away from death and one phonecall or half a beer away from
'holy shit the deck's on fire!'
Fire's dangerous. Electricity is dangerous.
I'll take each one at a time-not together.

monroe(all for containing the blaze)

Oak Top Oil Advice Needed Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 7 27-11-2008 04:42 AM
Some advice needed Rodders Winemaking 2 07-10-2007 10:49 AM
Advice Needed Matthew Givens Winemaking 6 24-11-2005 03:05 PM
Cookware advice needed FDR General Cooking 31 18-09-2005 03:40 AM
Advice Needed JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms General Cooking 0 03-11-2004 12:34 AM