Rich Spencer

Default Any advice on vacuum sealers

I have heard that alot of BBQ'ers use vacuum sealers but I am rather
overwhelmed by the price of the Foodsavers. Are they really that good?
Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
as the Foodsavers? Would appreciate hearing your experiences with these
sealers as I am trying to justify whether or not we actually need one
and whether we should spend $100 + on a unit. It also seems that the
bags are expensive - any tips on how to save money on the bags?

Rich Spencer
BigDog

Rich Spencer wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> I have heard that alot of BBQ'ers use vacuum sealers but I am rather
> overwhelmed by the price of the Foodsavers. Are they really that good?
> Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
> as the Foodsavers? Would appreciate hearing your experiences with these
> sealers as I am trying to justify whether or not we actually need one
> and whether we should spend $100 + on a unit. It also seems that the
> bags are expensive - any tips on how to save money on the bags?
>
> Rich Spencer

Well, I'll tell you this Rich. I have a Rival Food Sealer ($59.00) on sale.
Also got a lot of extra individual bags and rolls of bags at a good price.
Don't know about the other models, but the Rival works great for me. Also
have the complete canister set as well. They are good for soups, stews, or
anything with liquid in it. My whole deal with the sealer, buttload of
extra bags and the canister set and attachments to make it work was JUST
over $120. IMHO

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rich Spencer" > wrote in message
s.com...
> I have heard that alot of BBQ'ers use vacuum sealers but I am rather
> overwhelmed by the price of the Foodsavers. Are they really that good?

Yes.

> Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
> as the Foodsavers?

No. not as much power to pull a vacuum.

> It also seems that the
> bags are expensive - any tips on how to save money on the bags?

They can be washed and re-used many times. You will be able to keep things
from spoiling and save that way. Cheese will keep for months when vacuum
sealed. I've had cooked brisket in the freezer for 2 years and it was as
good as the day it was put in there.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Bob Hillerby

Rich Spencer > wrote in message ws.com>...
> I have heard that alot of BBQ'ers use vacuum sealers but I am rather
> overwhelmed by the price of the Foodsavers. Are they really that good?
> Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
> as the Foodsavers? Would appreciate hearing your experiences with these
> sealers as I am trying to justify whether or not we actually need one
> and whether we should spend $100 + on a unit. It also seems that the
> bags are expensive - any tips on how to save money on the bags?
>
> Rich Spencer

Rich,
I've had a Black & Decker sealer for a little over a year now and have
had no problems with it. In fact, My brother-in-law likes my little
B&D better than his "high dollar" Foodsaver machine!
Bags are expensive, but can be re-used. We wash ours thoroughly (with
a little bleach) in the dish water. This seems to do the trick quite
well.
One of the great things about these machines is you can "marinate"
meat in about 1/2 hour by using a vacumed container.
Additionally, you can seal any leftovers and freeze them...when
properly heated, the food will taste like it just came off the grill!
Great little machines in my opinion.
SpongeBob
Chef Juke

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:52:06 GMT, Rich Spencer
> wrote:

>I have heard that alot of BBQ'ers use vacuum sealers but I am rather
>overwhelmed by the price of the Foodsavers. Are they really that good?
>Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
>as the Foodsavers? Would appreciate hearing your experiences with these
>sealers as I am trying to justify whether or not we actually need one
>and whether we should spend $100 + on a unit. It also seems that the
>bags are expensive - any tips on how to save money on the bags?
>
>Rich Spencer

First off, reheating BBQ that's been sealed in a vacuum sealer bag has
been the best way I've found to have the bbq come out the closest to
when I pulled it off the smoker.

I have both a top of the line Foodsaver and a Sinbo
(http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html)

The SInbo cost around $100 vs. the $200+ for the foodsaver. They both
will seal equally well, although the sinbo can be a little trickier.

The foodsaver uses special (EXPENSIVE) bags with air channels groobed
into one side of the interior. The sinbo can use almost any sealable
plastic bag and you can get sealing bags MUCH MUCH cheaper.

For your needs I would strongly recommend getting a sinbo.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Tyler Hopper

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Rich Spencer" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> > I have heard that alot of BBQ'ers use vacuum sealers but I am rather
> > overwhelmed by the price of the Foodsavers. Are they really that good?

> Yes.
>
> > Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
> > as the Foodsavers?

> No. not as much power to pull a vacuum.
>

> > It also seems that the
> > bags are expensive - any tips on how to save money on the bags?

> They can be washed and re-used many times. You will be able to keep things
> from spoiling and save that way. Cheese will keep for months when vacuum
> sealed. I've had cooked brisket in the freezer for 2 years and it was as
> good as the day it was put in there.
> Ed

I hate to say "me too" so I'll say, "yeah, what he said". The Foodsaver is one
of the very few appliances we have that spends any time out on the counter.

Ours is ~12 yrs. old and not quite as easy to use as the new ones. If it went
out today, I'd buy another tomorrow without hesitation.

I hate to admit it but, also as Ed said, I've found leftover brisket and pork
butt that was 2 yrs. old in the freezer and it was still fine.

_________
ht_redneck

Chef Juke

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:52:06 GMT, Rich Spencer
> wrote:

>I have heard that alot of BBQ'ers use vacuum sealers but I am rather
>overwhelmed by the price of the Foodsavers. Are they really that good?
>Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
>as the Foodsavers? Would appreciate hearing your experiences with these
>sealers as I am trying to justify whether or not we actually need one
>and whether we should spend $100 + on a unit. It also seems that the
>bags are expensive - any tips on how to save money on the bags?
>
>Rich Spencer

First off, reheating BBQ that's been sealed in a vacuum sealer bag has
been the best way I've found to have the bbq come out the closest to
when I pulled it off the smoker.

I have both a top of the line Foodsaver and a Sinbo
(http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html)

The SInbo cost around $100 vs. the $200+ for the foodsaver. They both
will seal equally well, although the sinbo can be a little trickier.

The foodsaver uses special (EXPENSIVE) bags with air channels groobed
into one side of the interior. The sinbo can use almost any sealable
plastic bag and you can get sealing bags MUCH MUCH cheaper.

For your needs I would strongly recommend getting a sinbo.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

M&M

On 1-Jul-2004, Rich Spencer > wrote:

> I have heard that alot of BBQ'ers use vacuum sealers but I am rather
> overwhelmed by the price of the Foodsavers. Are they really that good?
> Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
> as the Foodsavers? Would appreciate hearing your experiences with these
> sealers as I am trying to justify whether or not we actually need one
> and whether we should spend $100 + on a unit. It also seems that the
> bags are expensive - any tips on how to save money on the bags?
>
> Rich Spencer

I couldn't get along without my vacuum sealer. You can't really imagine
how helpful they are until you finally have one. However, Foodsaver and
the prolific variety of spinoffs use (IMO) prohibitively expensive bags. I
have an elderly FoodSaver with the jar attachments, but I more recently
acquired a Sinbo VS280 from http://www.sorbentsystems.com. They
are a major manufacturer of commercial vacuum sealing equipment and
supplies. In fact they manufacture the pattern bags for Tilia (FoodSaver)
as well as their own much cheaper bags. I buy my bags 400 at a time
in two sizes, 6" X 8" and 8" X 12", 200 of each. The last order with S&H
was $46.50 or $ .116/bag. At that price I don't skimp on using them and
I don't bother to recycle used bags. Compare at http://www.foodsaver.com.
Their quart size ~ 8" X 12" cost $ .437/bag plus S&H. The Sinbo VS280
is currently priced at $119, ($95.50 in qty of 3) Just my $ .02.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Stephen Russell

"M&M" > wrote in message
> acquired a Sinbo VS280 from http://www.sorbentsystems.com. They
> are a major manufacturer of commercial vacuum sealing equipment and

Thanks for the link here. I got the 8" x 20' roll @ 5.5 per roll in an 8
roll order. Shipping was 8.5 so get a lot of rolls to make up for the
excessive shipping charges but the cost per roll was great!

__Stephen

M&M

On 5-Jul-2004, "Stephen Russell"
> wrote:

> Thanks for the link here. I got the 8" x 20' roll @ 5.5 per roll in an 8
> roll order. Shipping was 8.5 so get a lot of rolls to make up for the
> excessive shipping charges but the cost per roll was great!
>
> __Stephen

Congratulations on getting them to ship. It says right at the top of that
page on their site that they are not currently shipping any channel bags.
(The patent is held by Tilia) Still, that doesn't compare all that well with
400 bags for $46.50 including shipping. You get 160 8" X 12". I get 200
8" X 12" AND 200 6" X 8" for $46.50 including shipping. Still your price
beats the heck out of $9.95 for a 20' roll of 8" wide even after you fight
the shipping. With tax that $9.95 translates instantly to $10.65.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M

On 5-Jul-2004, Rich Spencer > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On 5-Jul-2004, "Stephen Russell"
> > > wrote:

<snip>

> > Congratulations on getting them to ship. It says right at the top of
> > that
> > page on their site that they are not currently shipping any channel
> > bags.
> > (The patent is held by Tilia) Still, that doesn't compare all that well
> > with
> > 400 bags for $46.50 including shipping. You get 160 8" X 12". I get 200
> > 8" X 12" AND 200 6" X 8" for $46.50 including shipping. Still your price
> > beats the heck out of $9.95 for a 20' roll of 8" wide even after you
> > fight
> > the shipping. With tax that $9.95 translates instantly to $10.65.
> >

> That's quite a big difference - take it these are the bags for the Simbo
> - how is the quality and durability of these bags compared to the Tilia
> bags?

The bags are for my Sinbo VS280. They are about the same in quality
and durability as the channel bags for the foodsaver machines. Neither
are perfect by any means. I had one whole roll of foodsaver bags that
had to be individually resealed on all sides. I get some failures with
these .3mm non-channel bags, but not many. You'll get an occasional
failure to pull a vacuum with no perceivable cause. Properly sealed bags
hold their vacuum for months or even years in the freezer.

TIP FOR SINBO (Snorkel Vacuum Machine) USERS: I put a little piece
of folded paper towell in each bag so it will be in direct contact with the
snorkel tube during the vac process. This prevents most food content
from entering the snorkel as well as preventing the bag from collapsing
around the snorkel tip and blocking it. The machine will pull a good
vacuum right through the paper towell.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Stephen Russell

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> I hate to break it to you, but the page allows you to order
> anything on the page, but you'll get an email shortly that says
> "Sorry - You're ass out. We can't sell these anymore."
>
> I've tried twice in the last year hoping to push an order through,
> but no such luck.

Maybe my spam filter caught it because I didn't see anything in my in box
yet.

__Stephen

Stephen Russell

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> I hate to break it to you, but the page allows you to order
> anything on the page, but you'll get an email shortly that says
> "Sorry - You're ass out. We can't sell these anymore."
>
> I've tried twice in the last year hoping to push an order through,
> but no such luck.

Maybe my spam filter caught it because I didn't see anything in my in box
yet.

__Stephen

Rich Spencer

Sears has the Ultra Vacuum Sealer that is the same as the Foodsaver 800
( the body is a little boxier than the 800 but for all practical
purposes its the same). They also sell the Sears brand of bags a little
cheaper than Tilia and if you get on to one of those 10% off sales, you
can do ok (although they are still expensive. I know that M&M loves his
Simbo - does anyone else have this model.

> >"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> >> I hate to break it to you, but the page allows you to order
> >> anything on the page, but you'll get an email shortly that says
> >> "Sorry - You're ass out. We can't sell these anymore."
> >>
> >> I've tried twice in the last year hoping to push an order through,
> >> but no such luck.

> >Maybe my spam filter caught it because I didn't see anything in my in box
> >yet.

> Lettuce know if they do indeed fill/ship the order. A lot of
> people here would jump right on it knowing that they are shipping
> again.
>
> I don't use the foodsaver anymore because I don't want to
> patronize a company that charges me a 400% markup on supplies for
> a product I already purchased from them. They should *give* the
> machines away and only charge for the bags at that price.
>
> But it's a free market and they can do WTF they want. And I can
> still rant in the meantime ;-)
>
> -sw

Stephen Russell

"Rich Spencer" > wrote in message
ews.com...
> Sears has the Ultra Vacuum Sealer that is the same as the Foodsaver 800
> ( the body is a little boxier than the 800 but for all practical
> purposes its the same). They also sell the Sears brand of bags a little
> cheaper than Tilia and if you get on to one of those 10% off sales, you
> can do ok (although they are still expensive. I know that M&M loves his
> Simbo - does anyone else have this model.

I have a foodsaver from Sams years ago. I like it but hate purchasing the
consumables much like ink jet printers.

If anyone else as an idea I'm all for checking them out. I use mine for
meat and hops that I grow.

__Stephen

Stephen Russell

"Rich Spencer" > wrote in message
ews.com...
> Sears has the Ultra Vacuum Sealer that is the same as the Foodsaver 800
> ( the body is a little boxier than the 800 but for all practical
> purposes its the same). They also sell the Sears brand of bags a little
> cheaper than Tilia and if you get on to one of those 10% off sales, you
> can do ok (although they are still expensive. I know that M&M loves his
> Simbo - does anyone else have this model.

I have a foodsaver from Sams years ago. I like it but hate purchasing the
consumables much like ink jet printers.

If anyone else as an idea I'm all for checking them out. I use mine for
meat and hops that I grow.

__Stephen

M&M

On 7-Jul-2004, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:51:40 GMT, "Stephen Russell"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> >> I hate to break it to you, but the page allows you to order
> >> anything on the page, but you'll get an email shortly that says
> >> "Sorry - You're ass out. We can't sell these anymore."
> >>
> >> I've tried twice in the last year hoping to push an order through,
> >> but no such luck.

> >Maybe my spam filter caught it because I didn't see anything in my in box
> >yet.

> Lettuce know if they do indeed fill/ship the order. A lot of
> people here would jump right on it knowing that they are shipping
> again.
>
> I don't use the foodsaver anymore because I don't want to
> patronize a company that charges me a 400% markup on supplies for
> a product I already purchased from them. They should *give* the
> machines away and only charge for the bags at that price.
>
> But it's a free market and they can do WTF they want. And I can
> still rant in the meantime ;-)
>
> -sw

What Steve said. That's why I bought the Sinbo sealer, not because
it's a better machine, but because I can afford to use it. It has a
permanent place on the counter and gets used 3 or 4 times a week.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 7-Jul-2004, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:51:40 GMT, "Stephen Russell"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> >> I hate to break it to you, but the page allows you to order
> >> anything on the page, but you'll get an email shortly that says
> >> "Sorry - You're ass out. We can't sell these anymore."
> >>
> >> I've tried twice in the last year hoping to push an order through,
> >> but no such luck.

> >Maybe my spam filter caught it because I didn't see anything in my in box
> >yet.

> Lettuce know if they do indeed fill/ship the order. A lot of
> people here would jump right on it knowing that they are shipping
> again.
>
> I don't use the foodsaver anymore because I don't want to
> patronize a company that charges me a 400% markup on supplies for
> a product I already purchased from them. They should *give* the
> machines away and only charge for the bags at that price.
>
> But it's a free market and they can do WTF they want. And I can
> still rant in the meantime ;-)
>
> -sw

What Steve said. That's why I bought the Sinbo sealer, not because
it's a better machine, but because I can afford to use it. It has a
permanent place on the counter and gets used 3 or 4 times a week.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 7-Jul-2004, Rich Spencer > wrote:

> Sears has the Ultra Vacuum Sealer that is the same as the Foodsaver 800
> ( the body is a little boxier than the 800 but for all practical
> purposes its the same). They also sell the Sears brand of bags a little
> cheaper than Tilia and if you get on to one of those 10% off sales, you
> can do ok (although they are still expensive. I know that M&M loves his
> Simbo - does anyone else have this model.

<snip>

I believe Chef Juke has one. And it's "Sinbo" from Sorbent Systems. I've
never seen one in a store. You buy the bags online from the same place.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M

On 7-Jul-2004, Rich Spencer > wrote:

> Sears has the Ultra Vacuum Sealer that is the same as the Foodsaver 800
> ( the body is a little boxier than the 800 but for all practical
> purposes its the same). They also sell the Sears brand of bags a little
> cheaper than Tilia and if you get on to one of those 10% off sales, you
> can do ok (although they are still expensive. I know that M&M loves his
> Simbo - does anyone else have this model.

<snip>

I believe Chef Juke has one. And it's "Sinbo" from Sorbent Systems. I've
never seen one in a store. You buy the bags online from the same place.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Stephen Russell

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:51:40 GMT, "Stephen Russell"
> > wrote:

Are the Deni® Freshlock® Vacuum Sealer. bags equivelatn to the Tila's?

If so I found :
http://tinyurl.com/3hzpw has 3 11" x 33' for 15$

__Stephen

Stephen Russell

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:51:40 GMT, "Stephen Russell"
> > wrote:

Are the Deni® Freshlock® Vacuum Sealer. bags equivelatn to the Tila's?

If so I found :
http://tinyurl.com/3hzpw has 3 11" x 33' for 15$

__Stephen

Chef Juke

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:42:27 GMT, "M&M" >
wrote:

>On 7-Jul-2004, Rich Spencer > wrote:
>
>> Sears has the Ultra Vacuum Sealer that is the same as the Foodsaver 800
>> ( the body is a little boxier than the 800 but for all practical
>> purposes its the same). They also sell the Sears brand of bags a little
>> cheaper than Tilia and if you get on to one of those 10% off sales, you
>> can do ok (although they are still expensive. I know that M&M loves his
>> Simbo - does anyone else have this model.

><snip>
>
>I believe Chef Juke has one. And it's "Sinbo" from Sorbent Systems. I've
>never seen one in a store. You buy the bags online from the same place.

Yup, I got one.

Sits right next to my Foodsaver II. Mainly using the sinbo now
although both work fine.

I have found that the sinbo bags seem less prone to losing the seal
than the foodsaver bags, although I don't have a significant problem
with either. I think it has to do with the slightly thinner foodsaver
bags and all them channels...either that or I'm just not careful
enough with them and allow them to get small holes. NOTE: this is
not an issue with the heat seal, the bags seal fine, just that some
lose the vacuum after a bit, indicating some hole(s) SOMEwhere in the
bag.

All the above being said, both work well, the Sinbo has cheaper bags,
the Foodsaver is easier to vacuum (the vacuum nozzle has a tendency to
pull the non-channelled bags closed before it has completed sucking
all of the air out of the bag...just takes a little getting used to
how to hold the bag open around the nozzle while vacuuming to
overcome).

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Chef Juke

wrote:

>On 7-Jul-2004, Rich Spencer > wrote:
>
>> Sears has the Ultra Vacuum Sealer that is the same as the Foodsaver 800
>> ( the body is a little boxier than the 800 but for all practical
>> purposes its the same). They also sell the Sears brand of bags a little
>> cheaper than Tilia and if you get on to one of those 10% off sales, you
>> can do ok (although they are still expensive. I know that M&M loves his
>> Simbo - does anyone else have this model.

><snip>
>
>I believe Chef Juke has one. And it's "Sinbo" from Sorbent Systems. I've
>never seen one in a store. You buy the bags online from the same place.

Yup, I got one.

Sits right next to my Foodsaver II. Mainly using the sinbo now
although both work fine.

I have found that the sinbo bags seem less prone to losing the seal
than the foodsaver bags, although I don't have a significant problem
with either. I think it has to do with the slightly thinner foodsaver
bags and all them channels...either that or I'm just not careful
enough with them and allow them to get small holes. NOTE: this is
not an issue with the heat seal, the bags seal fine, just that some
lose the vacuum after a bit, indicating some hole(s) SOMEwhere in the
bag.

All the above being said, both work well, the Sinbo has cheaper bags,
the Foodsaver is easier to vacuum (the vacuum nozzle has a tendency to
pull the non-channelled bags closed before it has completed sucking
all of the air out of the bag...just takes a little getting used to
how to hold the bag open around the nozzle while vacuuming to
overcome).

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, "Stephen Russell"
> wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:51:40 GMT, "Stephen Russell"
> > > wrote:

> Are the Deni® Freshlock® Vacuum Sealer. bags equivelatn to the Tila's?
>
> If so I found :
> http://tinyurl.com/3hzpw has 3 11" x 33' for 15$
>
> __Stephen

What you ought to do is buy a box and report back. I'm happy
with what I have.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, Chef Juke > wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:42:27 GMT, "M&M" >
> wrote:
>

> >On 7-Jul-2004, Rich Spencer > wrote:
> >
> >> Sears has the Ultra Vacuum Sealer that is the same as the Foodsaver 800
> >> ( the body is a little boxier than the 800 but for all practical
> >> purposes its the same). They also sell the Sears brand of bags a
> >> little
> >> cheaper than Tilia and if you get on to one of those 10% off sales, you
> >> can do ok (although they are still expensive. I know that M&M loves
> >> his
> >> Simbo - does anyone else have this model.

> ><snip>
> >
> >I believe Chef Juke has one. And it's "Sinbo" from Sorbent Systems. I've
> >never seen one in a store. You buy the bags online from the same place.

> Yup, I got one.
>
> Sits right next to my Foodsaver II. Mainly using the sinbo now
> although both work fine.
>
> I have found that the sinbo bags seem less prone to losing the seal
> than the foodsaver bags, although I don't have a significant problem
> with either. I think it has to do with the slightly thinner foodsaver
> bags and all them channels...either that or I'm just not careful
> enough with them and allow them to get small holes. NOTE: this is
> not an issue with the heat seal, the bags seal fine, just that some
> lose the vacuum after a bit, indicating some hole(s) SOMEwhere in the
> bag.
>
> All the above being said, both work well, the Sinbo has cheaper bags,
> the Foodsaver is easier to vacuum (the vacuum nozzle has a tendency to
> pull the non-channelled bags closed before it has completed sucking
> all of the air out of the bag...just takes a little getting used to
> how to hold the bag open around the nozzle while vacuuming to
> overcome).
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

What Chef Juke said. And BTW we have met down Florida way at
Big Jim's place. I don't keep my foodsaver out like Chef Juke, but
the Sinbo gets a lot of action. Like Chef said, the Sinbo takes a
little getting used to. I've started incorporating a little piece of paper
towel in the top of each bag to fool the vacuum nozzle. I take about
a quarter of a paper towel and fold it four times and fold it around the
top of the (bagged) product I'm trying to seal. Then I push it right up
against the vacuum nozzle. This fools the sealer and it pulls a vacuum
right through the paper towel. Works every time. Cheers Chef Juke.
If you want to bag something soupy, you have to freeze it first. It's
difficult to vacuum items that are much thicker the about 3/4", so
you have to "mold" your soupy product using some suitable
container. You can use muffin tins and make "Hockey Pucks" or
square freezer containers to make square hockey pucks. I've done
both and they both work well. My 3 cents.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, Chef Juke > wrote:

> [...]

towel in the top of each bag to fool the vacuum nozzle. I take about
a quarter of a paper towel and fold it four times and fold it around the
top of the (bagged) product I'm trying to seal. Then I push it right up
against the vacuum nozzle. This fools the sealer and it pulls a vacuum
right through the paper towel. Works every time. Cheers Chef Juke.
If you want to bag something soupy, you have to freeze it first. It's
difficult to vacuum items that are much thicker the about 3/4", so
you have to "mold" your soupy product using some suitable
container. You can use muffin tins and make "Hockey Pucks" or
square freezer containers to make square hockey pucks. I've done
both and they both work well. My 3 cents.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Stephen Russell

"M&M" > wrote in message
> > If so I found :
> > http://tinyurl.com/3hzpw has 3 11" x 33' for 15$
> >
> > __Stephen

> What you ought to do is buy a box and report back. I'm happy
> with what I have.

I called their sales desk for the compay and they said there is another
product :
http://www.deni.com/vacaccess.htm

The Magic Vac and the replacement rolls are = to the FoodSaver rip off
rolls.

I'll try the sears bags.

TIA

__Stephen

Stephen Russell

"M&M" > wrote in message
> > If so I found :
> > http://tinyurl.com/3hzpw has 3 11" x 33' for 15$
> >
> > __Stephen

> What you ought to do is buy a box and report back. I'm happy
> with what I have.

I called their sales desk for the compay and they said there is another
product :
http://www.deni.com/vacaccess.htm

The Magic Vac and the replacement rolls are = to the FoodSaver rip off
rolls.

I'll try the sears bags.

TIA

__Stephen

Dick Wiegand

I'm just proud of myself -

For $ 5.00, I bought a Tilla foodsaver in "as new" condition at the Goodwill a
week ago.

I'm also going to post (in AFB) pictures of 198#'s of 4th of July brisket that
we did.

Dick

M&M

On 9-Jul-2004, Dick Wiegand > wrote:

> I'm just proud of myself -
>
> For $ 5.00, I bought a Tilla foodsaver in "as new" condition at the
> Goodwill a
> week ago.
>
> I'm also going to post (in AFB) pictures of 198#'s of 4th of July brisket
> that
> we did.
>
> Dick

Your post says it all. A disconcerted Foodsaver owner was so chagrined
with the machine that they 'GAVE' it to Goodwill. Hopefully you will be
pleased with your good luck and enjoy vac packaging. (I just don't
understand the brand loyalty that Foodsaver enjoys. Both the machine
and it's consumables are priced out of sight.) Yeh, I've got one, but I use
a snorkel sealer and 10 cent bags.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 9-Jul-2004, Dick Wiegand > wrote:

> I'm just proud of myself -
>
> For $ 5.00, I bought a Tilla foodsaver in "as new" condition at the
> Goodwill a
> week ago.
>
> I'm also going to post (in AFB) pictures of 198#'s of 4th of July brisket
> that
> we did.
>
> Dick

Your post says it all. A disconcerted Foodsaver owner was so chagrined
with the machine that they 'GAVE' it to Goodwill. Hopefully you will be
pleased with your good luck and enjoy vac packaging. (I just don't
understand the brand loyalty that Foodsaver enjoys. Both the machine
and it's consumables are priced out of sight.) Yeh, I've got one, but I use
a snorkel sealer and 10 cent bags.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Steve

I've been really interested in getting a food sealer unit. the sinbo
makes sense to me. But does it have attachment to let you seal
mason jars? I want to buy bulk dry goods and seal them and I know
the FoodSaver folks rave about the ability of the FoodSaver to seal
jars and such.

thanks, Steve
Walt Breymier

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:15:13 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>> Are other models such as the Black and Decker models at Walmart as good
>> as the Foodsavers?

>No. not as much power to pull a vacuum.

I've never used a Foodsaver personally, but the Rival unit I bought
on sale last year has the power to crush a bag full of aluminum cans
same as I saw in the Tilia infomercial.

I tried it to make sure.

Walt Breymier

Walt Breymier

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:03:10 GMT, BigDog
> wrote:

>Well, I'll tell you this Rich. I have a Rival Food Sealer ($59.00) on sale.
>Also got a lot of extra individual bags and rolls of bags at a good price.
>Don't know about the other models, but the Rival works great for me. Also
>have the complete canister set as well. They are good for soups, stews, or
>anything with liquid in it. My whole deal with the sealer, buttload of
>extra bags and the canister set and attachments to make it work was JUST
>over $120. IMHO

Glad that discount worked out for ya, BD.

Have your canisters held up well? I used my largest one very
frequently, and it cracked along one of the corners recently. I
notices that they developed small stress fractures almost immediately,
so knew it was only a matter of time.

It didn't really stress me out too much, I bought the set mainly to
get the jar sealing attatchment, which works like a charm.

Walt Breymier