RZ

Default WSM or alternative smoker? On a budget

Hello,
Im interested in purchasing a 'starter' smoker and wanted to get some
feedback. I'm swaying toward a CharBroil H20 electric due to the ease
of use and cost ($60). My original intention was either a WSM or a
ceramic bullet type but I think I first want to get my feet wet before
jumping in. FDoes anyone have this unit or advise as to buy or not?

Thanks,
RZ
Jason in Dallas

"RZ" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> Im interested in purchasing a 'starter' smoker and wanted to get some
> feedback. I'm swaying toward a CharBroil H20 electric due to the ease
> of use and cost ($60). My original intention was either a WSM or a
> ceramic bullet type but I think I first want to get my feet wet before
> jumping in. FDoes anyone have this unit or advise as to buy or not?

Very few people have been unhappy with a WSM but plenty of folks have
upgraded from electrics to WSMs and other smokers. Have you looked at
www.virtualweberbullet.com yet? WSM can also be used as a charcoal grill so
there's some extra value there.

Dave Bugg

RZ wrote:
> Hello,
> Im interested in purchasing a 'starter' smoker and wanted to get some
> feedback. I'm swaying toward a CharBroil H20 electric due to the ease
> of use and cost ($60). My original intention was either a WSM or a
> ceramic bullet type but I think I first want to get my feet wet before
> jumping in. FDoes anyone have this unit or advise as to buy or not?

A welcome to you, RZ. The best foot-wetter is the WSM, IMO, if you would
reeeeaaaalllly like to use charcoal as a fuel source. As an electric, the
charbroil is fine, but, come on in the waters fine :-)
Dave

bbq

RZ wrote:
> Hello,
> Im interested in purchasing a 'starter' smoker and wanted to get some
> feedback. I'm swaying toward a CharBroil H20 electric due to the ease
> of use and cost ($60). My original intention was either a WSM or a
> ceramic bullet type but I think I first want to get my feet wet before
> jumping in. FDoes anyone have this unit or advise as to buy or not?
>
> Thanks,
> RZ

RZ,

IMO, The only alternative to a WSM is a WSM on sale :-). If you think
you will enjoy the hobby of smoking/BBQ'in and can afford the WSM at
$179 (more on this later) get the WSM. I have a Char Broil H20 charcoal
smoker and bought it for pretty much the same reasons as you. Wanting to
learn a bit first without a great expense. The WSM is an easy cooker
to learn to use and maybe easier than the CharBroil, since there is less
fire tending needed. Not saying the Charbroil is a bad unit, cause you
can get great results from it. Many around here use one or a similiar
one and report fantastic results, including me.

I bought a WSM earlier this year and the only bad thing is the weather
and my work schedule have not cooperated well to use it as often as I
would like.

Many around here have a Kamado, a ceramic cooker, and yes they enjoy
thier cooker too and don't report a difficult learning curve. But they
can be spendy, $500 or more plus shipping from the west coast.

You can't go wrong with any of these cookers. But again, IMO, the WSM
is your best choice at this point IF your sure you will enjoy the hobby.
If you think you might not, than the CharBroil H20 would be ideal for
you. And then, I would suggest the H20 Charbroil Deluxe charcoal,
rather than the electric. But that is up to you.

Whatever you decide, you will find some great folks here to help you get
started on your learning curve. It's not hard, but does take
time/experience. If you make the Q, there is no such thing as bad Q,
just some is better than others.

You can get more information on the WSM from
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com and if you purchase one from AMAZON
through this site, the site earns a tiny bit to help maintain the site.
Currently, the WSM price is $179 through amazon with free shipping.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

CSS

Fire management in the WSM is really a non-issue. My WSM usually required 3
or so vent adjusts for a 15-18 hour cook. Now, since I've got the
Pitminder, the only thing I have to do after I throw the meat on is eat (and
maybe baste a little).

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote in message
> RZ said
>
> > Hello,
> > Im interested in purchasing a 'starter' smoker and wanted to get some
> > feedback. I'm swaying toward a CharBroil H20 electric due to the ease
> > of use and cost ($60). My original intention was either a WSM or a
> > ceramic bullet type but I think I first want to get my feet wet before
> > jumping in. FDoes anyone have this unit or advise as to buy or not?

> I have this smoker and use it often. It produces great Q. I particularly
> like the set-it-and-forget-it temp control. No fussing with fuel, just
> plug it in and go back to sleep.
>
> I understand (from a great majority of posters) the WSM also makes temp
> control easy. Hard for me to see how it could be easier than plugging-in
> and setting the t-stat.
>
> One drawback to electric is the finite heat availability. If it's too

cold
> outside the smoker will NEVER attain the required temp. With a charcoal
> smoker you could (assumedly) just add more fuel. I solved this dilema

with
> a smoker blanket. I can smoke into late fall.
>
> That being said, I've been eyeballing a WSM for an upgrade. Then I think
> about the extra hassles of lump, fire-starting, fire-management, cleaning,
> and decide to wait a bit.
>
> Sorry, I prob haven't made your decision any easier. Just, rest assured,
> if you buy the CB you will eat some great Q.
>
> hth
>
> --
>
> Better living through smoking.

Wally Bedford

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:01:43 GMT, bbq > reported to us:

>,
>
>IMO, The only alternative to a WSM is a WSM on sale :-). If you think
>you will enjoy the hobby of smoking/BBQ'in and can afford the WSM at
>$179 (more on this later) get the WSM. I have a Char Broil H20 charcoal
>smoker and bought it for pretty much the same reasons as you. Wanting to
>learn a bit first without a great expense. The WSM is an easy cooker
>to learn to use and maybe easier than the CharBroil, since there is less
>fire tending needed. Not saying the Charbroil is a bad unit, cause you
>can get great results from it. Many around here use one or a similiar
>one and report fantastic results, including me.
>
>I bought a WSM earlier this year and the only bad thing is the weather
>and my work schedule have not cooperated well to use it as often as I
>would like.
>
>Many around here have a Kamado, a ceramic cooker, and yes they enjoy
>thier cooker too and don't report a difficult learning curve. But they
>can be spendy, $500 or more plus shipping from the west coast.
>
>You can't go wrong with any of these cookers. But again, IMO, the WSM
>is your best choice at this point IF your sure you will enjoy the hobby.
> If you think you might not, than the CharBroil H20 would be ideal for
>you. And then, I would suggest the H20 Charbroil Deluxe charcoal,
>rather than the electric. But that is up to you.
>
>Whatever you decide, you will find some great folks here to help you get
>started on your learning curve. It's not hard, but does take
>time/experience. If you make the Q, there is no such thing as bad Q,
>just some is better than others.
>
>You can get more information on the WSM from
>http://www.virtualweberbullet.com and if you purchase one from AMAZON
>through this site, the site earns a tiny bit to help maintain the site.
>Currently, the WSM price is $179 through amazon with free shipping.
>
>Happy Q'en,
>BBQ

What a great post. One for the ages. Bill... can you put this puppy
somewhere in the FAQ?

Wally

"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
Sir Frederick G. Banting
Kent H.

I have a MECO electric smoker, purchased after Cooks Illustrated
recommended it, purchased directly from MECO for under $100.
Two years later after about 10 smokes, the electric element is burned
out, and the skimpy metal housing is not doing very well.
Don't buy it.
I think the decision to buy should include an estimate of usage. My
arteries can't take pork shoulder, ribs, and brisket other than a
condiment. That leaves fowl,and fish.
Good Luck
Kent