Dimitri

Default Meat Temperatures?

I am beginning to think there is point at which the meat being smoked can
lose too much moisture. I think at that point the chunk of meat fails to
continue to climb in temperature.

The following are instructions from:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

"Chuck RollOriginally posted: 5/01/2003
Last updated: 01/14/2004

Summary
Buy a 15-16 pound boneless chuck roll in Cryovac from a store catering to
foodservice businesses.
Apply a favorite rub and refrigerate at least two hours or as long as
overnight before cooking.
Fire the WSM using the Minion Method. Add the meat direct from the
refrigerator without waiting for the cooker to come up to temperature.
Smoke at 225-250*F to an internal temperature of 160-165*F, then wrap in
foil and cook to an internal temperature of 190-195*F.
Slice or shred as you would pork butt."

I find it very interesting that they recommend wrapping the hunk of cow in
foil. The only reason I can think of is to avoid moisture loss.

So my question is: Is there a point where meat has lost so much moisture it
loses the ability to increase temperature?

Is that the reason for the post marked Butt Temps?: "At 11:00 am I checked
the internal temp again. One was 167 and the other 175 and they looked like
they were drying out so I decided to take them out. With rubber gloves I
tried to pick one up and it fell apart in my hands, the other did the
same."?

Thanks,

Dimitri

cl

Dimitri wrote:

> I am beginning to think there is point at which the meat being smoked can
> lose too much moisture. I think at that point the chunk of meat fails to
> continue to climb in temperature.

....cut

> I find it very interesting that they recommend wrapping the hunk of cow in
> foil. The only reason I can think of is to avoid moisture loss.
> So my question is: Is there a point where meat has lost so much moisture it
> loses the ability to increase temperature?

When it is cremated?

It is to allow for the inside to come up to temperature without
overcooking the outside. Think of the foil as a blanket that only allows
a little heat in but retains that which is already present.

-CAL
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> I am beginning to think there is point at which the meat being smoked can
> lose too much moisture. I think at that point the chunk of meat fails to
> continue to climb in temperature.

Maybe. When I do brisket or butts, they hang in at about 160 for a few
hours. That is when the meat is being converted from meat to barbecue by
breaking down the collagen. Temperature remains steady as the resultant
moisture keeps it that way. After the climb to the 190 region you have to
be careful.

Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jason in Dallas

"cl" > wrote in message
> It (foil) is to allow for the inside to come up to temperature without
> overcooking the outside. Think of the foil as a blanket that only allows
> a little heat in but retains that which is already present.

No, a far different process is true. When foiled the BBQing meat is botrh
steamed and braised. This cooks it at a faster rate than just sitting in hot
smokey air since steam and liquid are more dense than air and thus they
x-fer heat to the meat more rapidly.

This is the main reason why you feel more hot on a humid day than a dry day.
Try cooking 2 identical pieces of food, one in an oven at 212F and another
in a steamer. The steamed food will cook much faster.

Jason in Dallas

-- "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> So my question is: Is there a point where meat has lost so much moisture

it
> loses the ability to increase temperature?

That doesn't make any sense. A completely dry hunk of metal can be heated to
hundreds or thousands of degrees depending on the metal. Things do not need
to be moist to take up heat. Incedentrally water can only be heated to 212F
at which point it becomes steam.

Maybe you meant to say the meat's ability to take up extra heat is reduced
when it becomes dry?

Dimitri

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message
news
> -- "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > So my question is: Is there a point where meat has lost so much moisture

> it
> > loses the ability to increase temperature?
> >

> That doesn't make any sense. A completely dry hunk of metal can be heated
> hundreds or thousands of degrees depending on the metal. Things do not

need
> to be moist to take up heat. Incedentrally water can only be heated to

212F
> at which point it becomes steam.
>
> Maybe you meant to say the meat's ability to take up extra heat is reduced
> when it becomes dry?

Yep....

Dimitri