pilgrim13

Default Are your gasser tanks being overfilled??

In addition to my Cimmaron smoaker, I have a Weber Gold-C for going on
a month now. After finishing up the old tank, I hooked up the filled
new tank that came with the grill. Within a minute, both the
regulator and hose frosted up. Let it warm up, hooked it up and
frosted again. Hooked up the now refilled old tank and works fine.
A call to Weber was informed the tank was overfilled. Purged,
refilled, same thing. The gizzer who filled it swore up and down, it
was not overfilled. Tare weight of the tank plus gas =40lbs.

Weber gave me the number to the manufacture of the tank. In
conversation with them, they informed me at 40lbs, the tank is
overfilled. The tank should weigh between 36 and 37lbs.

Placed on a bath scale and through bleeder screw got tank to around 36
and all's fine now.

Moral of the story is don't always *assume* the person filling your
tank has an accurate scale or knows how much to put in. If in doubt,
just weigh it and see.

Stan
Lewzephyr

On 15 Jun 2004 08:58:36 -0700, I needed a babel fish to understand
(pilgrim13) :

>In addition to my Cimmaron smoaker, I have a Weber Gold-C for going on
>a month now. After finishing up the old tank, I hooked up the filled
>new tank that came with the grill. Within a minute, both the
>regulator and hose frosted up. Let it warm up, hooked it up and
>frosted again. Hooked up the now refilled old tank and works fine.
>A call to Weber was informed the tank was overfilled. Purged,
>refilled, same thing. The gizzer who filled it swore up and down, it
>was not overfilled. Tare weight of the tank plus gas =40lbs.
>
>Weber gave me the number to the manufacture of the tank. In
>conversation with them, they informed me at 40lbs, the tank is
>overfilled. The tank should weigh between 36 and 37lbs.
>
>Placed on a bath scale and through bleeder screw got tank to around 36
>and all's fine now.
>
>Moral of the story is don't always *assume* the person filling your
>tank has an accurate scale or knows how much to put in. If in doubt,
>just weigh it and see.
>
>Stan

On this line of thought, is there a way to tell by weight how much gas
you have left in the tank... I have a gasser that I usually use for
quick cooking, and always wonder, is it gunna be this time when I run
out? Due to the fact I don't use it often, I don't really have any
basic timeframe to gauge it with.

Thanks for your insight.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Lewzephyr" > wrote in message

> On this line of thought, is there a way to tell by weight how much gas
> you have left in the tank... I have a gasser that I usually use for
> quick cooking, and always wonder, is it gunna be this time when I run
> out?

Yes. Just note the weight of the empty tank. Weigh the tank as you use it
and you can tell how much is left. Depending on location, you could just
site the tank on the scale all the time.

I had a grill that had a spring loaded scale. Not all that accurate, but at
least you knew if you were down to a quarter or so. Now I keep five tanks
around so it is never a big problem, just a minor inconvenience to change
out a tank. Why five tanks? I have two cookers and a propane heater for
the garage.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

CSS

Isn't the OPD supposed to prevent this?

"pilgrim13" > wrote in message
om...
> In addition to my Cimmaron smoaker, I have a Weber Gold-C for going on
> a month now. After finishing up the old tank, I hooked up the filled
> new tank that came with the grill. Within a minute, both the
> regulator and hose frosted up. Let it warm up, hooked it up and
> frosted again. Hooked up the now refilled old tank and works fine.
> A call to Weber was informed the tank was overfilled. Purged,
> refilled, same thing. The gizzer who filled it swore up and down, it
> was not overfilled. Tare weight of the tank plus gas =40lbs.
>
> Weber gave me the number to the manufacture of the tank. In
> conversation with them, they informed me at 40lbs, the tank is
> overfilled. The tank should weigh between 36 and 37lbs.
>
> Placed on a bath scale and through bleeder screw got tank to around 36
> and all's fine now.
>
> Moral of the story is don't always *assume* the person filling your
> tank has an accurate scale or knows how much to put in. If in doubt,
> just weigh it and see.
>
> Stan

Hairy

"pilgrim13" > wrote in message
om...
> In addition to my Cimmaron smoaker, I have a Weber Gold-C for going on
> a month now. After finishing up the old tank, I hooked up the filled
> new tank that came with the grill. Within a minute, both the
> regulator and hose frosted up. Let it warm up, hooked it up and
> frosted again. Hooked up the now refilled old tank and works fine.
> A call to Weber was informed the tank was overfilled. Purged,
> refilled, same thing. The gizzer who filled it swore up and down, it
> was not overfilled. Tare weight of the tank plus gas =40lbs.
>
> Weber gave me the number to the manufacture of the tank. In
> conversation with them, they informed me at 40lbs, the tank is
> overfilled. The tank should weigh between 36 and 37lbs.

If the tank is fairly new, the manufacturer should have offered to replace
it, since the valve is defective. A functional OPD valve won't allow
overfilling and if it isn't OPD, it's illegal to fill it.

> Placed on a bath scale and through bleeder screw got tank to around 36
> and all's fine now.
>
> Moral of the story is don't always *assume* the person filling your
> tank has an accurate scale or knows how much to put in. If in doubt,
> just weigh it and see.
>
> Stan

Edwin Pawlowski

"Hairy" > wrote in message

> if it isn't OPD, it's illegal to fill it.

It is still perfectly legal to fill the old style tanks in at least 12
states. I still use mine and will continue to do so.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

pilgrim13

"Hairy" > wrote in message >...

> If the tank is fairly new, the manufacturer should have offered to replace
> it, since the valve is defective. A functional OPD valve won't allow
> overfilling and if it isn't OPD, it's illegal to fill it.

Good point, and that's why I called the manufacturer of the tank.
After talking to him he explained that although the OPD is designed to
cut off the flow, if the filling is not stopped, there is a small
bleader which will continue to expel the gas resulting, slowly in an
overfilled tank.

Stan
pilgrim13

Lewzephyr > wrote in message >. ..

> On this line of thought, is there a way to tell by weight how much gas
> you have left in the tank <snip>

Ed has a good point. Aside from that, you could always feel the tank
while it's in use. Where it starts to feel cold is the level of gas
in your tank. Not all that accurate but gives you a rough idea.

Stan
John O

> Ed has a good point. Aside from that, you could always feel the tank
> while it's in use. Where it starts to feel cold is the level of gas
> in your tank. Not all that accurate but gives you a rough idea.

If you pour hot water down the side first, that cold line is easier to feel.
Hot tap water is all it takes.

-John O

Need a New Gasser Master Chef Richard Campbell[_7_] Barbecue 18 15-10-2008 09:56 PM
Spare Ribs on my gasser - I think I got it Paul the Q noob Barbecue 4 12-06-2008 04:44 PM
Gasser consensus? JD Barbecue 7 19-04-2005 01:07 AM
Gasser Pizza Setup Master Chef Richard Campbell Barbecue 3 10-06-2004 03:10 PM