Big Jim

Default Magazine article

This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3 photos
in the mag the other guys had 1. Click on "good taste" then click on the
first link on the right.
http://www.gainesvillemagazine.com/
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Reg

www.lazyq.com

> --
> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Looks great Jim! Just to help out here's the direct link.

"Summertime and the grilling is easy"

<http://www.gainesvillesun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040610/MAGAZINE02/40608029/-1/magazine02>

Douglas Barber

Big Jim wrote:
> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3 photos
> in the mag the other guys had 1. Click on "good taste" then click on the
> first link on the right.
> http://www.gainesvillemagazine.com/
> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Great article! "Barbecue is a technique, not a recipe" could hardly be a
clearer way of making a great point, and now to prove that I completely
missed it, that mustard sauce recipe looks really interesting, I've seen
mustard sauce recipes before but nothing like that one...includes chili
powder, butter, and soy sauce...gotta try that....

Dave Bugg

Big Jim wrote:
> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad.

Congrats on a fine write-up, Jim.
Dave

F.G. Whitfurrows

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:21:37 GMT, "Big Jim" >
> wrote:
>

>> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3
>> photos in the mag the other guys had 1.

> Does sound like you have much competition down there if this is
> your competitors best recipe:
>
> - Wrap the Boston Butt in heavy-duty aluminum foil after applying
> the three seasonings - seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce and
> garlic powder. Cook the foil-wrapped Boston Butt on one side for
> two hours on low heat. Turn it over and cook for another two
> hours. Open the aluminum foil and allow it to cook for another 30

Ho-lee-sheepshit, that looks ee-zee. Can I just do it that way on my grill?
That'd be the same as Barbecue, right?

--
Fosco cl Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

Big Jim wrote:
> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3
> photos in the mag the other guys had 1. Click on "good taste" then
> click on the first link on the right.
> http://www.gainesvillemagazine.com/
> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Nice write up, there, Jim. Way to go.
Now if I can just figger how I'm gonna get to Micanopy.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Dana Myers

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:21:37 GMT, "Big Jim" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3
>>>photos in the mag the other guys had 1.

>>Does sound like you have much competition down there if this is
>>your competitors best recipe:
>>
>>- Wrap the Boston Butt in heavy-duty aluminum foil after applying
>>the three seasonings - seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce and
>>garlic powder. Cook the foil-wrapped Boston Butt on one side for
>>two hours on low heat. Turn it over and cook for another two
>>hours. Open the aluminum foil and allow it to cook for another 30

> Ho-lee-sheepshit, that looks ee-zee. Can I just do it that way on my grill?
> That'd be the same as Barbecue, right?

Well, if you use Kingsford...

;-)
Dana
Rob

"Big Jim" > wrote in message >...
> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3 photos
> in the mag the other guys had 1. Click on "good taste" then click on the
> first link on the right.
> http://www.gainesvillemagazine.com/
> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Way to go Big Jim.

Rob
Jack Curry

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:21:37 GMT, "Big Jim" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3
>>> photos in the mag the other guys had 1.

>> Does sound like you have much competition down there if this is
>> your competitors best recipe:
>>
>> - Wrap the Boston Butt in heavy-duty aluminum foil after applying
>> the three seasonings - seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce and
>> garlic powder. Cook the foil-wrapped Boston Butt on one side for
>> two hours on low heat. Turn it over and cook for another two
>> hours. Open the aluminum foil and allow it to cook for another 30
>>

> Ho-lee-sheepshit, that looks ee-zee. Can I just do it that way on my
> grill? That'd be the same as Barbecue, right?

That ******* deliberately left the secret ingredient outta the recipe.

Jack Curry
-you know what it is-

Jack Sloan

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:21:37 GMT, "Big Jim" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3
> >> photos in the mag the other guys had 1.

> > Does sound like you have much competition down there if this is
> > your competitors best recipe:
> >
> > - Wrap the Boston Butt in heavy-duty aluminum foil after applying
> > the three seasonings - seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce and
> > garlic powder. Cook the foil-wrapped Boston Butt on one side for
> > two hours on low heat. Turn it over and cook for another two
> > hours. Open the aluminum foil and allow it to cook for another 30
> >

> Ho-lee-sheepshit, that looks ee-zee. Can I just do it that way on my

grill?
> That'd be the same as Barbecue, right?
>
> --
> Fosco cl Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

Only on the gas grill, Fosc.
Jack

Dan Overes

Big Jim wrote:

> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3 photos
> in the mag the other guys had 1. Click on "good taste" then click on the
> first link on the right.
> http://www.gainesvillemagazine.com/

Nice write-up. I'd love to get down to the south and try real BBQ
rather than eating the approximations we get up here in the great white
north.
cl

"F.G. Whitfurrows" wrote:

> Fosco cl Whitfurrows

^^

I caught it Fosco.

-CAL
BOB

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> Big Jim wrote:
>> This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3
>> photos in the mag the other guys had 1. Click on "good taste" then
>> click on the first link on the right.
>> http://www.gainesvillemagazine.com/
>> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

> Nice write up, there, Jim. Way to go.
> Now if I can just figger how I'm gonna get to Micanopy.
>
> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

You figger it out, I'll buy your beer and you won't have to invite me over for
leftovers (up in the Great White Northwest)

BOB

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan Overes" > wrote in message
> Big Jim wrote:
>
> > This isn't near as good as the actual Magazine, but not bad. I had 3

photos
> > in the mag the other guys had 1. Click on "good taste" then click on the
> > first link on the right.
> > http://www.gainesvillemagazine.com/

> Nice write-up. I'd love to get down to the south and try real BBQ
> rather than eating the approximations we get up here in the great white
> north.

Agreed. I like the fact that Big Jim is willing to share his recipes. Makes
the other guys look like insecure egomaniacs.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Duwop

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Agreed. I like the fact that Big Jim is willing to share his
> recipes. Makes the other guys look like insecure egomaniacs.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jim, I'm wondering if your outlook on BBQ has changed any since discovering
the BBQ FAQ and A.F.B. ?

Bruce

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:51:17 -0700, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Agreed. I like the fact that Big Jim is willing to share his
>> recipes. Makes the other guys look like insecure egomaniacs.
>> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

>Jim, I'm wondering if your outlook on BBQ has changed any since discovering
>the BBQ FAQ and A.F.B. ?

<SNIP>

Shit, Big Jim's been around way before the FAQ & AFB. I bet Jim's been
cooking the same way since before all the anal internet guys came
around and tried to improve everything by making it complicated. I've
come to appreciate the K.I.S.S. method more & more.

Bruce

Duwop

Bruce wrote:
>"Duwop" >
> wrote:
>
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed. I like the fact that Big Jim is willing to share his
>>> recipes. Makes the other guys look like insecure egomaniacs.
>>> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

>> Jim, I'm wondering if your outlook on BBQ has changed any since
>> discovering the BBQ FAQ and A.F.B. ?

> <SNIP>
>
> Shit, Big Jim's been around way before the FAQ & AFB. I bet Jim's been
> cooking the same way since before all the anal internet guys came
> around and tried to improve everything by making it complicated. I've
> come to appreciate the K.I.S.S. method more & more.
>
> Bruce

I'm sure Jim will appreciate the thoughts, although how some "internet guys"
made things complicated.......? Anyway, that's not what meant to ask. I
meant mostly about the sharing info thing.

Big Jim

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > Agreed. I like the fact that Big Jim is willing to share his
> > recipes. Makes the other guys look like insecure egomaniacs.
> > Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

> Jim, I'm wondering if your outlook on BBQ has changed any since

discovering
> the BBQ FAQ and A.F.B. ?
> --

Well I was on the Thead list when the FAQ was put together or at least
before it was published. If I remember correctly Ed P was a contributor. And
an excellent one I might add as was most all of the early Guys. A few which
are no longer with us and some who don't wish to participate in the
discussions anymore because of the BS of a few (right Ed)
My views are pretty much the same as they have always been.
I don't respond much to NOOBIES when they say,:" I am making my first
(insert whatever here) this weekend how should I do it". I used to say to
keep it simple. Don't over do the rub or what ever, learn to cook the meat
first, then go for rubs or whatever. Remember the rub should enhance not
mask or change the flavor. Why try to make a BUTT or ribs or brisket or even
chicken taste like something else.
Then some interQue guru would come along with a 62 item rub a 3 day brine
and some weird ass fire control technique that would insure that the cooking
temperature will stay at exactly 224.5 degrees for 26 hours,
Guess which technique they would try? Then they would come back and crybaby
that they don't understand why it didn't come out right. After all they just
spent 4 days getting everything perfect and it tasted like shit.
So has my outlook changed since I discovered the BBQ FAQ and AFB? Yep, the
longer the ingredient list and the more complicated the fire control
technique the better it got to be.
No thanks I will stick to KISS
--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Scotland Yard Department of Tire Mischief

Big Jim wrote:

If I remember correctly Ed P was a contributor.

Yes.

F.G. Whitfurrows

Scotland Yard Department of Tire Mischief wrote:
> Big Jim wrote:
>
> If I remember correctly Ed P was a contributor.
>
> Yes.

See! We're supposed to know who you are!

<scratchin' my pointy little haid>

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them
away.
Ronald Reagan

cl

"Big Jim" > wrote in message
> So has my outlook changed since I discovered the BBQ FAQ and AFB? Yep, the
> longer the ingredient list and the more complicated the fire control
> technique the better it got to be.
> No thanks I will stick to KISS

Don't you agree that this is what one learns over time when cooking
anything, not just bbq.

-CAL

F.G. Whitfurrows

<Detective Sqwertz>; "FBI" > wrote in
message ...
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:15:55 -0700, "F.G. Whitfurrows"
> > wrote:
>
> >Scotland Yard Department of Tire Mischief wrote:
> >> Big Jim wrote:
> >>
> >> If I remember correctly Ed P was a contributor.
> >>
> >> Yes.

> >See! We're supposed to know who you are!

> Douglas Barber, or so he claims ;-)

Well, Dougie's pretty funny, so I'll buy that. You are hereby promoted to
the rank of Inspector Wertz.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them
away.
Ronald Reagan

Big Jim

"cl" > wrote in message

> "Big Jim" > wrote in message
> > So has my outlook changed since I discovered the BBQ FAQ and AFB? Yep,

the
> > longer the ingredient list and the more complicated the fire control
> > technique the better it got to be.
> > No thanks I will stick to KISS

> Don't you agree that this is what one learns over time when cooking
> anything, not just bbq.
>
> -CAL

Yep
--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

M&M

On 12-Jun-2004, "Big Jim" > wrote:

> "Duwop" > wrote in message
> > Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

<snipped all that other stuff>

> Well I was on the Thead list when the FAQ was put together or at least
> before it was published. If I remember correctly Ed P was a contributor.
> And
> an excellent one I might add as was most all of the early Guys. A few
> which
> are no longer with us and some who don't wish to participate in the
> discussions anymore because of the BS of a few (right Ed)
> My views are pretty much the same as they have always been.
> I don't respond much to NOOBIES when they say,:" I am making my first
> (insert whatever here) this weekend how should I do it". I used to say to
> keep it simple. Don't over do the rub or what ever, learn to cook the meat
> first, then go for rubs or whatever. Remember the rub should enhance not
> mask or change the flavor. Why try to make a BUTT or ribs or brisket or
> even
> chicken taste like something else.
> Then some interQue guru would come along with a 62 item rub a 3 day
> brine
> and some weird ass fire control technique that would insure that the
> cooking
> temperature will stay at exactly 224.5 degrees for 26 hours,
> Guess which technique they would try? Then they would come back and
> crybaby
> that they don't understand why it didn't come out right. After all they
> just
> spent 4 days getting everything perfect and it tasted like shit.
> So has my outlook changed since I discovered the BBQ FAQ and AFB? Yep,
> the
> longer the ingredient list and the more complicated the fire control
> technique the better it got to be.
> No thanks I will stick to KISS
> --
> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Great reply Jim. I can't wait to hear the comments about my 7 hour
brisket. (Pic's and narrative on ABF) Horrors, I cooked it at about
350°. How could it possibly be edible? Detractors come over to my
house and I'll feed you some so you can see for yourself.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Duwop

> On 12-Jun-2004, "Big Jim" > wrote:
>> Well I was on the Thead list when the FAQ was put together or at
>> least before it was published. If I remember correctly Ed P was a
>> contributor. And

>> My views are pretty much the same as they have always been.
>> I don't respond much to NOOBIES when they say,:" I am making my
>> first (insert whatever here) this weekend how should I do it". I
>> used to say to keep it simple. Don't over do the rub or what ever,
>> learn to cook the meat first, then go for rubs or whatever. Remember
>> the rub should enhance not mask or change the flavor. Why try to
>> make a BUTT or ribs or brisket or even
>> chicken taste like something else.

Well then, it wouldnt hurt for someone to take up the cause. "The cause of
K.I.S.S." heh. I suspect it'll speed up the learning curve for those few
willing to listen.
Nice to know another of the early contributors is still around, and a big
THANKS to you. Seeing all that expertise shared so openly about BBQ reciped
and techniques I always thought jealously guarded was a revelation. And my
family and friends have benefited greatly, KUDO's to all of you.

>> Then some interQue guru would come along with a 62 item rub a 3 day
>> brine
>> and some weird ass fire control technique that would insure that the
>> cooking
>> temperature will stay at exactly 224.5 degrees for 26 hours,
>> Guess which technique they would try? Then they would come back and
>> crybaby
>> that they don't understand why it didn't come out right. After all
>> they just
>> spent 4 days getting everything perfect and it tasted like shit.

I remember seeing some of those, not many of those now though. It'll
probably make a comeback though, you know us guys love to tinker with shit.
Heheheh, sounds kinda like me trying that Danny Gaulden rib technique with
the oil and rub wrapped in plastic, etc. When I finally tried simple S&P it
was a light going on.

>> So has my outlook changed since I discovered the BBQ FAQ and AFB?
>> Yep, the longer the ingredient list and the more complicated the fire

control
>> technique the better it got to be. No thanks I will stick to KISS

Thank you

Dale

bk

"Big Jim" > wrote in message
> "Duwop" > wrote in message
> > Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > >
> > > Agreed. I like the fact that Big Jim is willing to share his
> > > recipes. Makes the other guys look like insecure egomaniacs.
> > > Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

> > Jim, I'm wondering if your outlook on BBQ has changed any since

> discovering
> > the BBQ FAQ and A.F.B. ?
> > --
> >

> Well I was on the Thead list when the FAQ was put together or at least
> before it was published. If I remember correctly Ed P was a contributor.

And
> an excellent one I might add as was most all of the early Guys. A few

which
> are no longer with us and some who don't wish to participate in the
> discussions anymore because of the BS of a few (right Ed)
> My views are pretty much the same as they have always been.
> I don't respond much to NOOBIES when they say,:" I am making my first
> (insert whatever here) this weekend how should I do it". I used to say to
> keep it simple. Don't over do the rub or what ever, learn to cook the meat
> first, then go for rubs or whatever. Remember the rub should enhance not
> mask or change the flavor. Why try to make a BUTT or ribs or brisket or

even
> chicken taste like something else.
> Then some interQue guru would come along with a 62 item rub a 3 day

brine
> and some weird ass fire control technique that would insure that the

cooking
> temperature will stay at exactly 224.5 degrees for 26 hours,
> Guess which technique they would try? Then they would come back and

crybaby
> that they don't understand why it didn't come out right. After all they

just
> spent 4 days getting everything perfect and it tasted like shit.
> So has my outlook changed since I discovered the BBQ FAQ and AFB? Yep,

the
> longer the ingredient list and the more complicated the fire control
> technique the better it got to be.
> No thanks I will stick to KISS
> --
> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

KISS is a safe guard mantra for just about any endevour.
Less is more - not a bore!
Congrats on the artical Jim. My sister had told me it was coming, but she's
out of town. I expect she'll send me a copy upon her return.
Barry in Miami

Big Jim

> KISS is a safe guard mantra for just about any endevour.
> Less is more - not a bore!
> Congrats on the artical Jim. My sister had told me it was coming, but

she's
> out of town. I expect she'll send me a copy upon her return.
> Barry in Miami

-- \
Thanks Barry. There is a picture of Jacki along with her comments about
the magazine. She is one fine looking female type person.
The picture and comments are in "From The editor"
Also She just about buys me out everytime she comes in <G>
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

M&M

On 11-Jun-2004, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> > Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> Does sound like you have much competition down there if this is
> >> your competitors best recipe:
> >>
> >> - Wrap the Boston Butt in heavy-duty aluminum foil after applying
> >> the three seasonings - seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce and
> >> garlic powder. Cook the foil-wrapped Boston Butt on one side for
> >> two hours on low heat. Turn it over and cook for another two
> >> hours. Open the aluminum foil and allow it to cook for another 30
> >>

> > Ho-lee-sheepshit, that looks ee-zee. Can I just do it that way on my
> > grill? That'd be the same as Barbecue, right?

> That ******* deliberately left the secret ingredient outta the recipe.
>
> Jack Curry
> -you know what it is-

I couldn't figure out how to snip this and not miss the point.
Anyway, you sure have a mean streak in you Jack C.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
F.G. Whitfurrows

Jack Curry wrote:
> That ******* deliberately left the secret ingredient outta the recipe.
>
> Jack Curry
> -you know what it is-

Yup...likkid smoke. Gotta be. Or am I missin' the obvious? I'm suddenly
second guessing myself. Hmmm.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them
away.
Ronald Reagan

Jack Sloan

> > No thanks I will stick to KISS
> > --
> > Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

> Great reply Jim. I can't wait to hear the comments about my 7 hour
> brisket. (Pic's and narrative on ABF) Horrors, I cooked it at about
> 350°. How could it possibly be edible? Detractors come over to my
> house and I'll feed you some so you can see for yourself.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Well Brick, I guess that 20 minute chicken I did on the grill dome at 750 *
is carrying the kiss method a bit too far.
I've been cooking most everything a little hotter lately for a shorter time
to no apparent reduction in quality. In fact I had cooked 4 butts in the
NBBD about a month ago (cym,s&p)...foodsavered it and fed it to about 40
people last weekend. Honest to god I had two people I had never seen before
come up to me and tell me it was the best meat they had ever eaten. That's
what this Q'in is REALLY all about. I think I cooked those between 300 and
375. (harder to hold the temp on the NBBD.
Jack

Edwin Pawlowski

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

> before it was published. If I remember correctly Ed P was a contributor.

And
> an excellent one I might add as was most all of the early Guys. A few

which
> are no longer with us and some who don't wish to participate in the
> discussions anymore because of the BS of a few (right Ed)

Right, and thanks.

> Then some interQue guru would come along with a 62 item rub a 3 day

brine
> and some weird ass fire control technique that would insure that the

cooking
> temperature will stay at exactly 224.5 degrees for 26 hours,

My rule is to stop at 55 items in the rub. I did have a temperature spike
once, it shop ut to 230 dgrees so I took the butt off after only 25 hours.
Damned spike ruined the meat.

> No thanks I will stick to KISS
> Big Jim

Seems to work with most things in life.
Ed

M&M

On 12-Jun-2004, "Jack Sloan" > wrote:
<snip>

> Well Brick, I guess that 20 minute chicken I did on the grill dome at 750
> *
> is carrying the kiss method a bit too far.
> I've been cooking most everything a little hotter lately for a shorter
> time
> to no apparent reduction in quality. In fact I had cooked 4 butts in the
> NBBD about a month ago (cym,s&p)...foodsavered it and fed it to about 40
> people last weekend. Honest to god I had two people I had never seen
> before
> come up to me and tell me it was the best meat they had ever eaten. That's
> what this Q'in is REALLY all about. I think I cooked those between 300 and
> 375. (harder to hold the temp on the NBBD.
> Jack

I seem to remember a post about a 20 minute chicken. I didn't comment
because
if it tasted good, no comment is necessary. I'm not trying to make a point
with my
cook temps. I'm using the NBBD's little sister the NBS and it works best and

easiest with a fairly large fire and very low draft. The only mod I have is
the
chimney extended down to the grill. The grill temp near the firebox is 50°F
or
more hotter then the dome near the chimney. This pit likes to cruise at
about
270° at the dome. You get the picture. Any other temp, and I'm running my
ass
off. Who needs it? I'm cooking for an older buddy who's nursing an
alzheimer's
wife. He's too polite to beg, but he takes all the 'Q' I deliver. He's a
Georgia boy,
so I think he knows what it's all about. He talks about doing whole hog's in
the
good old days. God bless him. I'll slip him a piece of hog every now and
then.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 13-Jun-2004, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Big Jim" > wrote in message
>
> > before it was published. If I remember correctly Ed P was a contributor.

> And
> > an excellent one I might add as was most all of the early Guys. A few

> which
> > are no longer with us and some who don't wish to participate in the
> > discussions anymore because of the BS of a few (right Ed)

> Right, and thanks.
>

> > Then some interQue guru would come along with a 62 item rub a 3 day
> > brine and some weird ass fire control technique that would insure
> > that the
> > cooking temperature will stay at exactly 224.5 degrees for 26 hours,

> My rule is to stop at 55 items in the rub. I did have a temperature spike
> once, it shop ut to 230 dgrees so I took the butt off after only 25 hours.
> Damned spike ruined the meat.
>

> > No thanks I will stick to KISS
> > Big Jim

> Seems to work with most things in life.
> Ed

Keep it up guys. We do need some enertainment in here.
(25 hours for a butt. Jeesus H. Christ) I wouldn't dare start
one of those. I might not live long enough to eat it.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
cl

"M&M" > wrote in message

> Keep it up guys. We do need some enertainment in here.
> (25 hours for a butt. Jeesus H. Christ) I wouldn't dare start
> one of those. I might not live long enough to eat it.

Why don't you just go buy your bbq if it is to much damn trouble?

(what happened to the 'spirit' of bbqing. sure you can do it faster but
there is nothing wrong with doing it slower)

-CAL

Edwin Pawlowski

"cl" > wrote in message
> > Keep it up guys. We do need some enertainment in here.
> > (25 hours for a butt. Jeesus H. Christ) I wouldn't dare start
> > one of those. I might not live long enough to eat it.

> Why don't you just go buy your bbq if it is to much damn trouble?
>
> (what happened to the 'spirit' of bbqing. sure you can do it faster but
> there is nothing wrong with doing it slower)
>
> -CAL

I think he was just funnin'. I know we were.
Ed

cl

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "cl" > wrote in message
> > > Keep it up guys. We do need some enertainment in here.
> > > (25 hours for a butt. Jeesus H. Christ) I wouldn't dare start
> > > one of those. I might not live long enough to eat it.

> > Why don't you just go buy your bbq if it is to much damn trouble?
> >
> > (what happened to the 'spirit' of bbqing. sure you can do it faster but
> > there is nothing wrong with doing it slower)
> >
> > -CAL

> I think he was just funnin'. I know we were.
> Ed

I don't know, the boy has been making a point of fast cooking here lately

beer belly

cl wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> m...

>>> Why don't you just go buy your bbq if it is to much damn trouble?
>>>
>>> (what happened to the 'spirit' of bbqing. sure you can do it faster but
>>> there is nothing wrong with doing it slower)
>>>
>>> -CAL

>> I think he was just funnin'. I know we were.
>> Ed
>>

> I don't know, the boy has been making a point of fast cooking here lately

He's an old fart. He wants to be sure that he lives to eat the food he's
cooked.

You, on the other hand, are an ass. Go suck an exhaust pipe.

"cl" > wrote:

> > > Why don't you just go buy your bbq if it is to much damn trouble?
> > >
> > > (what happened to the 'spirit' of bbqing. sure you can do it faster
> > > but there is nothing wrong with doing it slower)
> > >

> > I think he was just funnin'. I know we were.

> I don't know, the boy has been making a point of fast cooking here lately

I dunno. When I fast, I don't cook or eat.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Big Jim

"cl" > wrote in message
news

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> m...

> > > Why don't you just go buy your bbq if it is to much damn trouble?
> > >
> > > (what happened to the 'spirit' of bbqing. sure you can do it faster

but
> > > there is nothing wrong with doing it slower)
> > >
> > > -CAL

> > I think he was just funnin'. I know we were.
> > Ed
> >

> I don't know, the boy has been making a point of fast cooking here lately

I think the point he was trying to make is, you can cook at almost any
safe cooking temp, slow or fast and get a decent finished product.
--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Frndthdevl

>From: "cl"

>(what happened to the 'spirit' of bbqing. sure you can do it faster but
>there is nothing wrong with doing it slower)
>
>-CAL

you can only drink so many Sierra Pale Ales in a row. I find cooks topping 14
hours start to get too much fun. ; )
YMMV

I too have been finding the virtues of making the rub on the fly on the meat.
Sometimes I pull the membrane sometimes I don't. Mainly depending upon that
pigs particular stubborness. Also have been not worrying about temp as much,
especially if it gets 275-300 for a spell in my NBBD. Also have been playing
lately with more fire, as I have enough wood, I get a roaring fire going to
restock the coals, leaving the lid open on the fire box to keep temps down in
the offset. Nothing but clean heat coming out of the stack. When coals get good
I close the lid.

And of course the one thing I am still having a hard time with, is not letting
the wife, or any guests dictate the cook time. LOL But shoot, that is the
hardest thing telling people that the meat is done when it's done. Them darn
Sundays nights with school and work the next day are the hardest time to keep
that butt going. Especially when one knows the guests will not appreciate it
anymore if it pulls with less effort or not. LOL

But for me, going witth the flow, and an increasing reliance on KISS works here
in losocali.
Peace
jeff

"Try not to hurry
It's just not your worry
Leave it to those all caught up in time
You got to deep six your wrist watch
You got to try and understand
The time it seems to capture is just a movement of its hands"

John Barlow

Intersting Smithsonian magazine article [email protected] Barbecue 1 02-09-2013 05:42 PM
The Art of Tea magazine Tea Aroma Tea 0 22-09-2010 06:57 PM
Gormet Magazine - Article on Glassware Ken Blake Wine 47 18-02-2005 03:49 PM
Sunday NYT Magazine Article Warren C. Liebold Asian Cooking 1 20-12-2004 03:36 AM
[Article]: Article and recipes on spiritual diet. Smart Book General Cooking 42 22-03-2004 07:55 PM