Scarlet Pimpernel

Default Smoked shoulder picnic ham in kettle - suggestions?

Greetings Oh Wise Ones,

Mentioned to SWMBO that I was thinking of trying a shoulder butt roast in
the Weber Kettle. Next thing she turns up with a smoked shoulder picnic ham,
on special at the local safeway. A 7 pounder ...

Tell me, what is the way of the smoked shoulder picnic ham? I'm thinking a
couple of hours around 350 degrees, but have no experience with this cut. Or
should I be aiming for a slower cook at lower temp? What internal temp
should I be aiming for?

Thanks for any input,

/s

frohe

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
> Mentioned to SWMBO that I was thinking of trying a shoulder butt
> roast in the Weber Kettle. Next thing she turns up with a smoked
> shoulder picnic ham, on special at the local safeway. A 7 pounder

> Tell me, what is the way of the smoked shoulder picnic ham? I'm
> thinking a couple of hours around 350 degrees, but have no

experience
> with this cut. Or should I be aiming for a slower cook at lower

temp?
> What internal temp should I be aiming for?

Treat the picnic like you would a butt - slow cooked to an internal
temp of 160°F if ya wanna slice it, 190°F if ya wanna pull it.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

M&M

On 28-May-2004, "Scarlet Pimpernel" >
wrote:

> Greetings Oh Wise Ones,
>
> Mentioned to SWMBO that I was thinking of trying a shoulder butt roast in
> the Weber Kettle. Next thing she turns up with a smoked shoulder picnic
> ham,
> on special at the local safeway. A 7 pounder ...
>
> Tell me, what is the way of the smoked shoulder picnic ham? I'm thinking a
> couple of hours around 350 degrees, but have no experience with this cut.
> Or
> should I be aiming for a slower cook at lower temp? What internal temp
> should I be aiming for?

Same thing Frohe said. A 7# chunk like that can be cooked anywere from
~225°F to 350°F. Just decide in advance if you want to slice it or pull it
and
proceed accordingly. I've done several picnics (jumped in my basket because
of price) and they're just as good as butts. IMHO they have a little finer
texture
which I like, but would not cause me to buy them over butts pricewise.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Scarlet Pimpernel

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 28-May-2004, "Scarlet Pimpernel" >
> wrote:
>
> > Greetings Oh Wise Ones,
> >
> > Mentioned to SWMBO that I was thinking of trying a shoulder butt roast

in
> > the Weber Kettle. Next thing she turns up with a smoked shoulder picnic
> > ham,
> > on special at the local safeway. A 7 pounder ...
> >
> > Tell me, what is the way of the smoked shoulder picnic ham? I'm thinking

> > couple of hours around 350 degrees, but have no experience with this

cut.
> > Or
> > should I be aiming for a slower cook at lower temp? What internal temp
> > should I be aiming for?

> Same thing Frohe said. A 7# chunk like that can be cooked anywere from
> ~225°F to 350°F. Just decide in advance if you want to slice it or pull it
> and
> proceed accordingly. I've done several picnics (jumped in my basket

because
> of price) and they're just as good as butts. IMHO they have a little finer
> texture
> which I like, but would not cause me to buy them over butts pricewise.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Did at at 375 for around 4 1/2 hours, to 160 internal. Turned out perfect,
sliceable and juicy. Pictures on a.b.f.

Thanks for the input!

/s