Jeff Russell

Default trimmings

I'd like to hear different creative things and recipes you all do with the
trimmings from the meat.
I love fat and am blessed with low cholesterol(I'm still fat, oh well). So
tell me what's the tastiest things you do with the fat and trimmings.

Jeff Russell

Raw huh. Sort of a fat and mayo pate. Sounds good. Thanks.
"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 01:57:17 GMT, "Jeff Russell"
> > wrote:
>
> >I'd like to hear different creative things and recipes you all do with

the
> >trimmings from the meat.
> >I love fat and am blessed with low cholesterol(I'm still fat, oh well).

So
> >tell me what's the tastiest things you do with the fat and trimmings.

> Other than just eating them, or sucking on the larger pieces of
> fat, you can run them through a meat grinder with some mayo and
> onion and make a decent cracker spread. Don't use more than
> 35-40% meat-fat though.
>
> -sw

Louis Cohen

Toss it in the bean pot, with the bones and burnt ends.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Jeff Russell" > wrote in message
> I'd like to hear different creative things and recipes you all do with the
> trimmings from the meat.
> I love fat and am blessed with low cholesterol(I'm still fat, oh well). So
> tell me what's the tastiest things you do with the fat and trimmings.

Buzz1

"Jeff Russell" > wrote in message
> I'd like to hear different creative things and recipes you all do with the
> trimmings from the meat.
> I love fat and am blessed with low cholesterol(I'm still fat, oh well). So
> tell me what's the tastiest things you do with the fat and trimmings.

As a rule I trim pork butts b4 'queing and save the trimmings for sausage
making--come fall there usually are a few bags of good stuff in freezer.
When I trim briskets usually just toss the fat

Buzz

Douglas Barber

Jeff Russell wrote:

> I'd like to hear different creative things and recipes you all do with the
> trimmings from the meat.
> I love fat and am blessed with low cholesterol(I'm still fat, oh well). So
> tell me what's the tastiest things you do with the fat and trimmings.

I save any beef fat I trim from briskets, and render it till liquid in a
skillet, removing and tossing whatever cracklings are left. I use this
oil for stir-frying thin beef strips, and veggies, for sukiyaki. It
imparts a very rich beef flavor to the whole dish, which you just cannot
match using any other oil. I try not to do this very often! That's
absolutely my favorite use for beef trimmings. You can freeze the
trimmings whole, or render them to a liquid state, let that cool, and
freeze it - I've even frozen cooled, rendered goose fat in ziplock
baggies (the cooking and seasoning properties of goose fat is a whole
subject in itself).

Beef fat will also impart incomparable flavor to a beef stew if you use
it for browning beef cubes at the beginning of the process.

If you ever make pork stew dishes like "Milwuakee Pork Stew" (Google
will turn up recipes by this name), the same thing goes for using pork
fat as the oil in which to brown the pork cubes.

If have a meat grinder and use commercial cuts of meat to make ground
beef or sausage, you almost always need to add an additional amount of
fat that would surprise people who have never ground their own meats, to
the mix.

Douglas Barber

Default trimmings (correction)

Douglas Barber wrote:

> If you ever make pork stew dishes like "Milwuakee Pork Stew" (Google
> will turn up recipes by this name)

correct spelling is "Milwaukee Pork Stew"....Google doesn't know
anything about "Milwuakee".....

JakBQuik

"Louis Cohen" wrote in message news:

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

I input your lat/long into my GPS, Louis. Congrats, you live in a very
beautiful and very..ahem...popular spot on the planet. We were just up
there for my wife's business conference and a tour of Sonoma. Gorgeous! You
live in a little slice of paradise.

BTW, I'm at: N 30 16.932' W 097 47.306'. Deep in the Heart.

John

Smokin' Joe

On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:05:53 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>>When I trim briskets usually just toss the fat

>The smoked fat from pork or beef is great for rendering and frying
>potatoes for home fries and eggs.

That hard fat from briskets is pretty good for making bird feeders in
the winter. Render it down and mix with bird seed. When it
solidifies, place outside for the little tweeters.

Waste not, etc....

Douglas Barber > wrote:
> []
> I save any beef fat I trim from briskets, and render it till liquid in a
> skillet, removing and tossing whatever cracklings are left.[ . . . ]

Tossing whatever cracklings are left? Eine shande! They are so good to nosh
on while the smoke is rising.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Tyler Hopper

"Jeff Russell" > wrote in message
> I'd like to hear different creative things and recipes you all do with the
> trimmings from the meat.
> I love fat and am blessed with low cholesterol(I'm still fat, oh well). So
> tell me what's the tastiest things you do with the fat and trimmings.

Goode Co. in Houston has one of the best solutions. They save all the cooked
meat trimmings from brisket, ham, turkey, pork, etc. and make "Jambalaya
Texana". It is awesome.

_________
ht_redneck

Jeff Russell