webfoot

Default Grill kaput, 35 guests next Friday, Need grill under $300 - HELP!

We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard and
thought we would be all set for a large gathering on Memorial Day
weekend. Then yesterday my lady backed her truck into my prized old
Weber (charcoal). It's beyond repair. We had been thinking about gas
anyway, but after the deck we only have $250 - $300 left in the piggy
bank. We looked at Home Depot, Sears, Target and Bi-Mart (like Sam's
but in the Northwest). The Charbroils all seem flimsy. And I must
say the Weber Genesis B seems kind of lightweight too. The 3 grills
that seem the sturdiest are a Thermos Stainless (at Target for $249.
A similar Kemore ( #16221) at Sears for $249. And a very stout
Nexgrill (model 720-0082-S-LP at Bi-Mart for $279. All three seem
MUCH more solid than the low end Webers we saw at Sears, and the
Nexgrill and Kenmore have cast iron grates which the $389 Weber does
not. I'm drawn to the Nexgrill has cast iron grates and burners,
stainless drip catchers and appears to be very well made. My spouse
likes that it has enclosed storage on the bottom. I've seen Nexgrill
bad-mouthed abit on the various forums and not much info at all about
the Kenmore or the Thermos stainless at Target. We have never done
gas so we sure would appreciate any input on the three grills
mentioned above.
CSS

Under $300, you might want to consider another charcoal grill. If you can
go to $450 or so, Weber Silver B at Home Depot (with coated cast iron
grates) would be a good choice. Weber's generally are of good quality, cook
well, have excellent support and have good parts availability when you need
it.

"webfoot" > wrote in message
om...
> We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard and
> thought we would be all set for a large gathering on Memorial Day
> weekend. Then yesterday my lady backed her truck into my prized old
> Weber (charcoal). It's beyond repair. We had been thinking about gas
> anyway, but after the deck we only have $250 - $300 left in the piggy
> bank. We looked at Home Depot, Sears, Target and Bi-Mart (like Sam's
> but in the Northwest). The Charbroils all seem flimsy. And I must
> say the Weber Genesis B seems kind of lightweight too. The 3 grills
> that seem the sturdiest are a Thermos Stainless (at Target for $249.
> A similar Kemore ( #16221) at Sears for $249. And a very stout
> Nexgrill (model 720-0082-S-LP at Bi-Mart for $279. All three seem
> MUCH more solid than the low end Webers we saw at Sears, and the
> Nexgrill and Kenmore have cast iron grates which the $389 Weber does
> not. I'm drawn to the Nexgrill has cast iron grates and burners,
> stainless drip catchers and appears to be very well made. My spouse
> likes that it has enclosed storage on the bottom. I've seen Nexgrill
> bad-mouthed abit on the various forums and not much info at all about
> the Kenmore or the Thermos stainless at Target. We have never done
> gas so we sure would appreciate any input on the three grills
> mentioned above.

jdoe

I just saw the Nexgrill you mentioned yesterday at Gander Mtn. Looks decent.
Was very solid "feeling". As with anything though who will support it? How
well? You can't go wrong with a weber. May not "feel" like the other but it
will perform 2nd to none, have support and or parts if needed 24/7 most
anyplace you look. The rest are all imports that while can be decent quality
are like a curbside setter.
Larry
"webfoot" > wrote in message
om...
> We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard and
> thought we would be all set for a large gathering on Memorial Day
> weekend. Then yesterday my lady backed her truck into my prized old
> Weber (charcoal). It's beyond repair. We had been thinking about gas
> anyway, but after the deck we only have $250 - $300 left in the piggy
> bank. We looked at Home Depot, Sears, Target and Bi-Mart (like Sam's
> but in the Northwest). The Charbroils all seem flimsy. And I must
> say the Weber Genesis B seems kind of lightweight too. The 3 grills
> that seem the sturdiest are a Thermos Stainless (at Target for $249.
> A similar Kemore ( #16221) at Sears for $249. And a very stout
> Nexgrill (model 720-0082-S-LP at Bi-Mart for $279. All three seem
> MUCH more solid than the low end Webers we saw at Sears, and the
> Nexgrill and Kenmore have cast iron grates which the $389 Weber does
> not. I'm drawn to the Nexgrill has cast iron grates and burners,
> stainless drip catchers and appears to be very well made. My spouse
> likes that it has enclosed storage on the bottom. I've seen Nexgrill
> bad-mouthed abit on the various forums and not much info at all about
> the Kenmore or the Thermos stainless at Target. We have never done
> gas so we sure would appreciate any input on the three grills
> mentioned above.

Jason in Dallas

Unless you have 3x your budget the only choice is a Weber, everything else
in your budget is junk. Actually I didn't think Weber had anything under
$300? Weber costs 2x as much as otehr models of similar size and features
but it's worth it. If you want quality, capacity and budget of under $300
you might ought to re-visit the idea of a charcoal grill.

Mr. Wizard

Thirty five guests and a new untested grill?
That's like going into battle with a rifle you've never
learned how to fire.

Mr. Wizard wrote:
> Thirty five guests and a new untested grill?
> That's like going into battle with a rifle you've never
> learned how to fire.

I still can't get past the 600 foot deck.

webfoot wrote:
> We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard

Damn, that's a long deck...

"Hey, go back in the house and get the ketchup!"

"Screw you, I went back for the salt. I ain't making that walk again!"

....and here on the east coast a piece of 6" cedar decking 8 foot long is
going for $11. No doubt cheaper in the PNW where they grow it but,
still... Seems the price of a new grill wouldn't be an issue- [altho' I
suppose the width of the deck would be a determining factor, as well.]

Or perhaps it's a 600 SQUARE foot deck? <g>

Jason in Dallas

> wrote in message
t...
> I still can't get past the 600 foot deck.
>
> webfoot wrote:
> > We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard

> Damn, that's a long deck...
>
> Or perhaps it's a 600 SQUARE foot deck? <g>

Maybe it's 600 cubic feet like a giant butcher block?

bob elkind

Don't forget the $30-$40 cost of the propane bottle.

"webfoot" > wrote in message
om...
> We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard and
> thought we would be all set for a large gathering on Memorial Day
> weekend. Then yesterday my lady backed her truck into my prized old
> Weber (charcoal). It's beyond repair. We had been thinking about gas
> anyway, but after the deck we only have $250 - $300 left in the piggy
> bank. We looked at Home Depot, Sears, Target and Bi-Mart (like Sam's
> but in the Northwest). The Charbroils all seem flimsy. And I must
> say the Weber Genesis B seems kind of lightweight too. The 3 grills
> that seem the sturdiest are a Thermos Stainless (at Target for $249.
> A similar Kemore ( #16221) at Sears for $249. And a very stout
> Nexgrill (model 720-0082-S-LP at Bi-Mart for $279. All three seem
> MUCH more solid than the low end Webers we saw at Sears, and the
> Nexgrill and Kenmore have cast iron grates which the $389 Weber does
> not. I'm drawn to the Nexgrill has cast iron grates and burners,
> stainless drip catchers and appears to be very well made. My spouse
> likes that it has enclosed storage on the bottom. I've seen Nexgrill
> bad-mouthed abit on the various forums and not much info at all about
> the Kenmore or the Thermos stainless at Target. We have never done
> gas so we sure would appreciate any input on the three grills
> mentioned above.

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:28:39 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
et...
>> I still can't get past the 600 foot deck.
>>
>> webfoot wrote:
>> > We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard

>> Damn, that's a long deck...
>>
>> Or perhaps it's a 600 SQUARE foot deck? <g>

>Maybe it's 600 cubic feet like a giant butcher block?

My lower deck is about 550 sq ft and very comfortable , thank you.
Harry

Jason in Dallas wrote:
> > wrote in message
> t...
>
>>I still can't get past the 600 foot deck.
>>
>>webfoot wrote:
>> > We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard

>>Damn, that's a long deck...
>>
>>Or perhaps it's a 600 SQUARE foot deck? <g>

> Maybe it's 600 cubic feet like a giant butcher block?

Yup, yup, hadn't considered that. Would make it a bit over 8 feet on
each side. Doesn't make for the traditional "outdoor barbecue
lifestyle" but it sure keeps the moths away from the woolens...

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> My lower deck

Whoa, there, getting a bit personal, now aren't you.......oh, oh,
nevermind, you're talking about the deck on your house...

> is about 550 sq ft

Hmmm, forgot what mine is (it's irregularly shaped- and that NOT a
comment on my carpentry skills)... 'bout the same...all I remember was
it took 2.01 gallons of stain....

> and very comfortable , thank you.

Hmmm...mine, too, altho' I find if I HAVEN'T had too many HopDevil's,
it's still more comfortable to sit in one of the adirondack chairs...

Jess

Victor B. Putz

Attempting to address the original poster:

I can't comment on the other grills, but I have the Weber
Genesis Silver B and it is one fantastic grill; I don't
think you could go wrong with that choice.

-->VPutz

Tyler Hopper

"webfoot" > wrote in message
om...
> We are just finishing a new 600 foot cedar deck in our back yard and
> thought we would be all set for a large gathering on Memorial Day
> weekend. Then yesterday my lady backed her truck into my prized old
> Weber (charcoal). It's beyond repair. We had been thinking about gas
> anyway, but after the deck we only have $250 - $300 left in the piggy
> bank. We looked at Home Depot, Sears, Target and Bi-Mart (like Sam's
> but in the Northwest). The Charbroils all seem flimsy. And I must
> say the Weber Genesis B seems kind of lightweight too. The 3 grills
> that seem the sturdiest are a Thermos Stainless (at Target for $249.
> A similar Kemore ( #16221) at Sears for $249. And a very stout
> Nexgrill (model 720-0082-S-LP at Bi-Mart for $279. All three seem
> MUCH more solid than the low end Webers we saw at Sears, and the
> Nexgrill and Kenmore have cast iron grates which the $389 Weber does
> not. I'm drawn to the Nexgrill has cast iron grates and burners,
> stainless drip catchers and appears to be very well made. My spouse
> likes that it has enclosed storage on the bottom. I've seen Nexgrill
> bad-mouthed abit on the various forums and not much info at all about
> the Kenmore or the Thermos stainless at Target. We have never done
> gas so we sure would appreciate any input on the three grills
> mentioned above.

The 06/04 Consumer Reports review of gas grills says this about their "Best
Buys" listed in order of highest to lowest overall ratings:

Average Size Grills -

Vermont Castings CF9030 LP - $400

Thermos stainless 461246804 - $400

Coleman 5100 Series 9990-132 - $270

Fiesta Optima ESD45055 - $200

_________
ht_redneck

bw

On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:19:13 GMT, "Tyler Hopper" >
wrote:

Weber grills have had a face lift. Home depot is closing out last
years models for cost. The Class B 36000 B.T.U is going for $ 210.00
while they last, regular price is $449.00. Pound for pound the Weber
is the best bang for you buck.

. com...