Duwop

Default Charbroil Offset Smoker at Home Depot

El Penguini wrote:
> All -
>
> I was planning on trying to build a smoker this summer, but I saw this
> cheapie at the Home Depot. It is a side firebox barrel unit, perhaps
> 2 1/2 feet long. Any opinions on its functionality and durability?

If you can, get the grill unit and order the side firebox separate. Or make
sure you can mount the inner charcoal grate and order it easily as this also
makes a good grill and will double it's usefulness to you. Also, the inner
grate makes a handy heat deflector for the firebox hole.
In my mind, that's this things main bonus, being able to grill or BBQ on it.

I've had mine three, four years, have burned through a fair amount of the
metal on both charcoal grates. I'll admit it get's a LOT of use. But it's
holding up otherwise. It could be better, thicker metal for instance, but
its fine for the price. It's hold four full size spare, or 2 spares and 2 or
3 chickens, etc. Fair amount of room.

Here's the unit I'm thinking of:
http://www.tool-buyer.com/industrial...g/chargriller/

This looks like a hell of a good price.

Duwop

Duwop wrote:
> Here's the unit I'm thinking of:
> http://www.tool-buyer.com/industrial...g/chargriller/
>
> This looks like a hell of a good price.

Looks like they screwed up the firebox. If this is the firebox, I'd pass.

Dana Myers

El Penguini wrote:

> All -
>
> I was planning on trying to build a smoker this summer, but I saw this
> cheapie at the Home Depot. It is a side firebox barrel unit, perhaps 2 1/2
> feet long. Any opinions on its functionality and durability?

A little more information might help. My local HD carries
the Charbroil-branded version of was once known as the New
Braunfels Silver Smoker, or Silver for short. Take a
look at this page and see if it's one of these:

http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/offset_smokers.asp

If it's the Silver, then there are a fair number of folks
in the group that can answer your question. I like mine
a lot but haven't used it long enough to comment on the
durability myself.

Dana
M&M

On 20-May-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
<snip>
> A little more information might help. My local HD carries
> the Charbroil-branded version of was once known as the New
> Braunfels Silver Smoker, or Silver for short. Take a
> look at this page and see if it's one of these:

The Chargriller® is similar to but totally different mfg then
the 'Silver'. In a side by side comparison, I gave the Silver
a slight edge and thus bought one. I see no reason why
a Chargriller equipped with the side firebox would not cook
just as well as the 'Silver'. The same mods apply to either
cooker.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Jason in Dallas

"El Penguini" > wrote in message
> I was planning on trying to build a smoker this summer, but I saw this
> cheapie at the Home Depot. It is a side firebox barrel unit, perhaps 2

1/2
> feet long. Any opinions on its functionality and durability?

A different animal to be sure, but the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) is both
extremely durable and also goof-proof to use. Where an offset will require
you to tend the fire and use a lot of fuel, the more efficient and tight WSM
is a "set it and forget it device" that will easily run 225*F for 10+ hours
at a time and use a lot less fuel. It'll cook 4 pork butts at a time or
maybe 10 racks of baby back ribs. Not as much as an offest but more than
enough for most families.

Dana Myers

M&M wrote:
> On 20-May-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>A little more information might help. My local HD carries
>>the Charbroil-branded version of was once known as the New
>>Braunfels Silver Smoker, or Silver for short. Take a
>>look at this page and see if it's one of these:

> The Chargriller® is similar to but totally different mfg then
> the 'Silver'. In a side by side comparison, I gave the Silver
> a slight edge and thus bought one.

Sure. I'm still trying to figure out if the original
poster is describing a Chargriller® or is describing
the size of the firebox on the Silver. Dunno. But
you're correct in either case, I suppose.

Dana
cl

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message
. ..

> at a time and use a lot less fuel. It'll cook 4 pork butts at a time or
> maybe 10 racks of baby back ribs. Not as much as an offest but more than
> enough for most families.

But you can add another section to it.

El Penguini

Dana -

I'm the OP - the unit at the HD was Charbroil offset smokebox smoker. A
complete unit, not just the fire box.

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:40acf862$1@wobble...
> M&M wrote:
> > On 20-May-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >>A little more information might help. My local HD carries
> >>the Charbroil-branded version of was once known as the New
> >>Braunfels Silver Smoker, or Silver for short. Take a
> >>look at this page and see if it's one of these:

> > The Chargriller® is similar to but totally different mfg then
> > the 'Silver'. In a side by side comparison, I gave the Silver
> > a slight edge and thus bought one.

> Sure. I'm still trying to figure out if the original
> poster is describing a Chargriller® or is describing
> the size of the firebox on the Silver. Dunno. But
> you're correct in either case, I suppose.
>
> Dana

Brick

Dana Myers wrote:
> M&M wrote:
>> On 20-May-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> A little more information might help. My local HD carries
>>> the Charbroil-branded version of was once known as the New
>>> Braunfels Silver Smoker, or Silver for short. Take a
>>> look at this page and see if it's one of these:

>> The Chargriller® is similar to but totally different mfg then
>> the 'Silver'. In a side by side comparison, I gave the Silver
>> a slight edge and thus bought one.

> Sure. I'm still trying to figure out if the original
> poster is describing a Chargriller® or is describing
> the size of the firebox on the Silver. Dunno. But
> you're correct in either case, I suppose.
>
> Dana

The OP posted a link to the unit he was talking about. It was the
Chargriller.

M&M

Dana Myers

Brick wrote:

> Dana Myers wrote:

>>Sure. I'm still trying to figure out if the original
>>poster is describing a Chargriller® or is describing
>>the size of the firebox on the Silver. Dunno. But
>>you're correct in either case, I suppose.
>>
>>Dana

> The OP posted a link to the unit he was talking about. It was the
> Chargriller.

Are you certain? The link I saw posted was from
Duwop in a follow-up, not El Penguini. Perhaps my
NNTP server missed something?

Dana

M&M

I guess you can take it on faith or not. I shopped the
Chargriller with and without the firebox before I bought
my NB Silver. If you choose to believe that I don't know
what I'm talking about that's your choice.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Dana Myers

M&M wrote:
> I guess you can take it on faith or not. I shopped the
> Chargriller with and without the firebox before I bought
> my NB Silver. If you choose to believe that I don't know
> what I'm talking about that's your choice.

Apologies if we're misunderstanding something here.
I saw a post from the original poster "El Penguino"
mentioning a smoker grill from HD. Then I saw a post
from Duwop with a link to a photo of a Chargriller.
I'm just trying to figure out which particular model
the *OP* was talking about, since my local HDs only
seem to stock the NB Silver.

I'm not at all attempting to suggest you don't know
what you're talking about; I'm trying to figure out
what El Penguino was talking about in the first place.
I don't at all doubt you know what you're talking
about here.

Maybe my news server missed a post somewhere.

Peace,
Dana

midocr

> Duwop wrote:
>
>>> Here's the unit I'm thinking of:
>>> http://www.tool-buyer.com/industrial...g/chargriller/
>>>
>>> This looks like a hell of a good price.

> Looks like they screwed up the firebox. If this is the firebox, I'd pass.

Yea Chargriller screwed up their firebox with this years model. I'm in
need of a new one too. Hope I can find the old style somewhere. If
they where gonna change it, I wish they'd make it a little bigger.
--
See ya,
Mike

"It is never too late to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

M&M

On 22-May-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
<snip>
> I'm not at all attempting to suggest you don't know
> what you're talking about; I'm trying to figure out
> what El Penguino was talking about in the first place.
> I don't at all doubt you know what you're talking
> about here.
>
> Maybe my news server missed a post somewhere.
>
> Peace,
> Dana

Dana, the OP looked at a CharGriller without the firebox
attached and wondered whether he could pick up the
firebox and attach it after the fact. And the answer is
(according to the website) yes he can.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Duwop

M&M wrote:
> Dana, the OP looked at a CharGriller without the firebox
> attached and wondered whether he could pick up the
> firebox and attach it after the fact. And the answer is
> (according to the website) yes he can.

Based on those I've seen, I've suggested that buying the Chargriller grill
and buying the firebox afterwards is probably the best combo anyway. The
storebought grill comes ready to mount the firebox. The store bought offset
doesnt have the inner grill and IIRC seemed to be missing some stuff that's
needed to use the hanging grate in the main chamber. Am unsure how easy it
would be to buy and install the charcoal grate for grilling into the store
bought offset.

El Penguini

M&M -

I'm the OP, and once again, I'm not asking what you're answering. I saw the
CharBROILER brand smoker at the HOme Depot and wondered if it was a suitable
unit. I have since seen the New Braunfels and believe that there are
different units.

ANy opinions on each? I"m leaning to the Weber smokey mountain unit, right
now.

"M&M" > wrote in message
> On 22-May-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
> <snip>
> > I'm not at all attempting to suggest you don't know
> > what you're talking about; I'm trying to figure out
> > what El Penguino was talking about in the first place.
> > I don't at all doubt you know what you're talking
> > about here.
> >
> > Maybe my news server missed a post somewhere.
> >
> > Peace,
> > Dana

> Dana, the OP looked at a CharGriller without the firebox
> attached and wondered whether he could pick up the
> firebox and attach it after the fact. And the answer is
> (according to the website) yes he can.
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Dave Bugg

El Penguini wrote:

> I"m leaning to the Weber smokey mountain unit,
> right now.

Good lean. That's what I would purchase.... It'll make you happy :-)
Dave

BOB

El Penguini wrote:

> "M&M" > wrote in message
>>
>> Dana, the OP looked at a CharGriller without the firebox
>> attached and wondered whether he could pick up the
>> firebox and attach it after the fact. And the answer is
>> (according to the website) yes he can.
>> --
>> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

> M&M -
>
> I'm the OP, and once again, I'm not asking what you're answering. I saw the
> CharBROILER brand smoker at the HOme Depot and wondered if it was a suitable
> unit. I have since seen the New Braunfels and believe that there are
> different units.
>
> ANy opinions on each? I"m leaning to the Weber smokey mountain unit, right
> now.

That's the spirit. WSM is an excellent choice. You'll be happy with it.

BOB
ribs almost ready to go on the K5

M&M

On 22-May-2004, "El Penguini" > wrote:

> I'm the OP, and once again, I'm not asking what you're answering. I saw
> the
> CharBROILER brand smoker at the HOme Depot and wondered if it was a
> suitable
> unit. I have since seen the New Braunfels and believe that there are
> different units.
>
> ANy opinions on each? I"m leaning to the Weber smokey mountain unit,
> right now.

You have sure managed to confuse me.

I think this is the original post, dated may 20, 2004.

All -

I was planning on trying to build a smoker this summer, but I saw this
cheapie at the Home Depot. It is a side firebox barrel unit, perhaps 2 1/2
feet long. Any opinions on its functionality and durability?

As far as we can tell that was the 'CharGriller' with the side firebox
accessory. That unit is very similar to the NB Silver. The 'CharBROIL'
is a whole different machine. If you can follow this link it will show you
the CharBroil which is nothing like you're talking about.

http://www.grilllovers.com:80/shopIt...1Q7CS9HQASE3H8

At any rate, the CharBroil(er) and the New Braunfels are definetely
different
units. As I said before, I give an edge, (not a big one) to the New
Braunfels.
Now, they'be been bought out by CharBroil so watch it. You can't go wrong
with a WSM unless, like me, that's not what you want.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 22-May-2004, "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

> Good lean. That's what I would purchase.... It'll make you happy :-)
> Dave

Good call Dave, but it wouldn't make me happy.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Where to buy offset smoker in Ottawa Mario Stargard Barbecue 4 14-06-2012 01:22 PM
My New Charbroil Electric Smoker Ken Sternberg Barbecue 2 27-12-2005 04:43 PM
Charbroil Offset Smoker at Home Depot El Penguini Barbecue 5 24-05-2004 08:21 PM
Offset Smoker/Grills Ted Barbecue 18 23-11-2003 11:46 PM
Question about offset smoker... [email protected] Barbecue 4 02-10-2003 02:50 PM