Dana Myers

Default Never thought I'd say this...

I'm finding that when I do a batch of chicken breasts
for the family, that the sharper flavor and higher
heat that tend to come with mesquite is preferred.

But, I have 40 lbs of mesquite lump and 400 lbs of
oak lump for a reason...

;-)

Dana
Dave Bugg

Dana Myers wrote:
> I'm finding that when I do a batch of chicken breasts
> for the family, that the sharper flavor and higher
> heat that tend to come with mesquite is preferred.

Sounds like you're doing a great job of smoke control, Dana. Smoke is just
another spice, and the best pitmasters know how to control the amount to
infuse into the meat.

> But, I have 40 lbs of mesquite lump and 400 lbs of
> oak lump for a reason...

Now yer just braggin'. :-)
Dave

JakBQuik

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:40a25e1e$1@wobble...

> I'm finding that when I do a batch of chicken breasts
> for the family, that the sharper flavor and higher
> heat that tend to come with mesquite is preferred.
>
> But, I have 40 lbs of mesquite lump and 400 lbs of
> oak lump for a reason...
>
> ;-)
>
> Dana

There's a difference between mesquite lump and mesquite wood used for
smoking. I can tolerate the former and loathe the latter. For me, smoking
with mesquite wood leaves an acrid and burnt taste. I prefer hickory or
pecan for the smoking wood. Using mesquite as a lump would be absolutely
satisfactory, since the charcoaling process removes a lot of the nasty
volatile compounds that impart that burnt taste.

Here in Central Texas, Cooper's in Llano uses mesquite. But only mesquite
coals that have been fired up away from the pit...and then added to the pit.
It gives a generally mild flavor. Had they used the mesquite as a smoking
additive....they would never have achieved that mild flavor.

As far as the temp is concerned, I think you can go both ways for chicken.
If you want a great smokey product to make cold sandwiches with, then you
can go low and slow. You will get a rubbery skin.....but a very smokey
interior. If you want to eat your roasted chicken hot off the pit, I
recommend cooking at 325-350 for as little as an hour to an hour and a half.
Yummy crispy skin will be your reward.

In re-reading your post, I see you do breasts. You might try doing whole
chicks. First, you still get your breasts. But you also get a lot of great
dark meat to do salads etc., as well as carcasses to make soup and stock
with.

John in Austin

Dana Myers

JakBQuik wrote:
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:40a25e1e$1@wobble...
>
>>I'm finding that when I do a batch of chicken breasts
>>for the family, that the sharper flavor and higher
>>heat that tend to come with mesquite is preferred.

> Using mesquite as a lump would be absolutely
> satisfactory, since the charcoaling process removes a lot of the nasty
> volatile compounds that impart that burnt taste.

Yup, I agree.

> As far as the temp is concerned, I think you can go both ways for chicken.

One certainly can. For smaller chunks like boneless breasts,
which I generally will do for the family, I typically run the
firebox hotter and move the breasts down near the firebox to
brown 'em, them move 'em away to finish 'em.

> If you want a great smokey product to make cold sandwiches with, then you
> can go low and slow. You will get a rubbery skin.....but a very smokey
> interior. If you want to eat your roasted chicken hot off the pit, I
> recommend cooking at 325-350 for as little as an hour to an hour and a half.
> Yummy crispy skin will be your reward.

I typically do whole birds by butterflying them and running 300-350
until the drumsticks wiggles loosely.

> In re-reading your post, I see you do breasts.

Well, in this case, I was talking about doing breasts. But
I have more than one trick.

> You might try doing whole
> chicks. First, you still get your breasts. But you also get a lot of great
> dark meat to do salads etc., as well as carcasses to make soup and stock
> with.

See above :-)

Thanks!
Dana
Dave Bugg

CafeMojo wrote:

> I know it's just the Beavis & Butthead in me but I just couldn't help
> snickering a little when I read that. :-)

Good to see you pop in, Cap'n.
Dave

Kevin S. Wilson

On 26 May 2004 14:26:38 GMT, (CafeMojo) wrote:

>>From: "JakBQuik"

>>In re-reading your post, I see you do breasts. You might try doing whole
>>chicks.

>I know it's just the Beavis & Butthead in me but I just couldn't help
>snickering a little when I read that. :-)

(view with a fixed-pitch font)

I think you mean:

AVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAV ISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVIS
BEAVIS ________________BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAV ISBEAVISBEAVI
SBEAV / \ISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBE
AVISB/ / \ \ \EAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAV
ISBEA| |VISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVIS
BEAV/ /BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAV
ISB| ___\ \| | / /ISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEA
VIS| / \VISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEA
BEA| | \BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVI
VI/ | _ |SBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAV
SB| | \ |
EA| | _\ /|
VI| __\ <_o)\o-
SB| | \
EAV\ || \
ISBE| |__ _ \ HEH-HEH. HE SAID "BREASTS."
AVIS| | (*___)
BEAV| | _ | /
ISBE| | //_______/ BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEABLE
AVIS| / | UUUUU__ BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVIS
BEAVI\| \_nnnnnn_\-\ BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVIS
SBEAVI| ____________/ BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVIS
BEAVIS| /BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBE AVISBE
BEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAVISBE AVISBEAVISBEAVISBEAV

credits: JoeEbay, alt.religion.kibology

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho