Rob

Default "Legends of Texas Barbecue" [Book]

I'm wrapping up reading this book. Man! Lotta history, good recipes to
try (Smoked Cabbage, Brisket sandwhich) and the where and why of the
different preferences for/against the following: rubs, sauce, open
pits, pork, mutten and (of course) beef. Some great photos of cooks,
meat markets, and the like.
From what I read in the post about the BBQ movie this book does a
better job.

Rob
(who's itching to Q again)
JakBQuik

"Rob" wrote:
> I'm wrapping up reading this book. Man! Lotta history, good recipes to
> try (Smoked Cabbage, Brisket sandwhich) and the where and why of the
> different preferences for/against the following: rubs, sauce, open
> pits, pork, mutten and (of course) beef. Some great photos of cooks,
> meat markets, and the like.
> From what I read in the post about the BBQ movie this book does a
> better job.
>
> Rob
> (who's itching to Q again)

You are correct sir. I was hoping the BBQ movie was half as good as the
Walsh book. I learn something from it everytime I pick it up. He really
knows (and explains) the difference between the little rural meat markets
that grew up to become BBQ meccas like the big 4 in Lockhart, Coopers in
Llano and Luling City Market in contrast to the urbanized restaurants like
County Line. I really like the photos too.

John in Austin

Default User

Rob wrote:

> I'm wrapping up reading this book. Man! Lotta history, good recipes to
> try (Smoked Cabbage, Brisket sandwhich) and the where and why of the
> different preferences for/against the following: rubs, sauce, open
> pits, pork, mutten and (of course) beef. Some great photos of cooks,
> meat markets, and the like.
> From what I read in the post about the BBQ movie this book does a
> better job.

Sounds interesting. The St. Louis County MO library has it, along with
several others by the author. Think I'll give it a try.

Are You Really Going To Eat That? : Reflections Of A Culinary Thrill
Seeker / Robb Walsh.

A Cowboy In The Kitchen : Recipes From Reata And Texas West Of The Pecos
/ Grady Spears And Robb Walsh

Legends Of Texas Barbecue Cookbook : Recipes And Recollections From The
Pit Bosses / Robb Walsh.

Nuevo Tex-Mex : Festive New Recipes From Just North Of The Border

Traveling Jamaica With Knife, Fork & Spoon : A Righteous Guide To
Jamaican Cookery

Brian Rodenborn
Frank Mancuso

The movie, however, is *not* based on Robb Walsh's book.
You will also probably like "Are You Really Going to Eat That?" too.
And another bbq book that I like is called "Smokestack Lightning" by Eric
Elie.

Frank
"Rob" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm wrapping up reading this book. Man! Lotta history, good recipes to
> try (Smoked Cabbage, Brisket sandwhich) and the where and why of the
> different preferences for/against the following: rubs, sauce, open
> pits, pork, mutten and (of course) beef. Some great photos of cooks,
> meat markets, and the like.
> From what I read in the post about the BBQ movie this book does a
> better job.
>
> Rob
> (who's itching to Q again)

Rob

"Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message >...
> The movie, however, is *not* based on Robb Walsh's book.
> You will also probably like "Are You Really Going to Eat That?" too.
> And another bbq book that I like is called "Smokestack Lightning" by Eric
> Elie.

Frank-

Right you are...my selection of this book was based on the recipe you
shared with me some time ago.
So far, you are batting 100 in my book so, I'm going to look into
those other books.
Now if I could just get some St. Arnold in N.C.....

Rob
Q' 4 all so long as it's not parbolied ribs.