Dave Bugg

Default 4,300 Miles, and back home safe and sound.

4300 miles in six days. At the last minute, prior to leaving Wenatchee, my
new job (I am now a part-time bus driver for our local transit system. My
training -- which was begun December 12, just ended two weeks previous)
called and asked me to be available on 2/19. So I had to be home less than a
week after leaving. This is why I owe apologies and regrets to Steve W.,
John in Austin, Pete R. in Houston for passing by without getting together.
I am planning a trip back in the fall, and I promise to look you all up. I
appreciated your generous offers to get together, and regret not doing so. I
had also hoped to spend a bit of time with Danny Gaulden, but timing didn't
work out there. either.

I did get to see Bob and Big Jim. Bob, it was good to meet you and have
some conversation and share some 'Q. :-)

Best brisket of the trip:
Big Jim's in McIntosh FL, and Danny's Dairy Queen in Carlsbad NM.

I enjoyed the company and the incredible hospitality of Big Jim on my second
day of the trip. I wished Jim was closer to my home. I think he was worried
I was losing too much weight, 'cause that man laid my plate full, and kept
it that way. Mind you, I ain't complaining... not ONE little bit. Besides
the excellent ribs, sausage, and brisket, Jim does catfish that just melts
in your mouth.

As before, when we first met, Jim was generous in sharing recipes and info.
about running his joint, which will be of help. It was also great fun
interacting with some of Jim's customers, which were a steady stream the
whole time I was there. It is obvious that word of mouth should continue to
draw customers from a wide area. Our time visiting went much too quick.
Thanks for everything, Jim... you are special.

Darned Good Eats:
Black's, Kreutz, Chisholm, in Lockhart. Cooper's in Llano.

Worst Barbecue, ANY category:
Flying Pig Bar-B-Q (shhhiiiivvverrrr) in Winnemucca, NV. An appropriate
name: this will only be called 'Q when pigs fly.

Best Sausage:
Big Jim's

Best surprise:
Burr's Country Store BBQ, Exit 864 off of I-10 near Vidor, TX. This store
caught my eye and made me do a double-take just as I was passing by. I had
to turn off at the next exit and back-track on a frontage road to get a
better look. The building was a living incarnation of what I am going to be
building; the same size, using the same post-frame style of construction,
and even the same color-scheme along with the wood planking covering the
front of the building. Needless to say, I took a lot of pictures and spent
quite a bit of time talking to the owner about his place. The food was worth
spending money on -- brisket and sausage -- but not at the same level as Big
Jim and Danny.

The car I bought in Ft. Lauderdale for Caleb ran extremely well, and made it
back in fine shape. Someone tried to jimmy the driver's lock during the
second night, 'cause in the morning I found the lock all loosened like
someone had tried to pry it. Other than that, the trip was uneventful with
long days of driving.

If all goes well, I should be breaking ground within the next four weeks.
This is definitely an exciting time. I hope to get some pictures of the
"before" onto ABF sometime in the next few days.
Best Regards,
Dave

Jack Curry

Dave Bugg wrote:
> I enjoyed the company and the incredible hospitality of Big Jim on my
> second day of the trip. I wished Jim was closer to my home. I think
> he was worried I was losing too much weight, 'cause that man laid my
> plate full, and kept it that way. Mind you, I ain't complaining...
> not ONE little bit. Besides the excellent ribs, sausage, and brisket,
> Jim does catfish that just melts in your mouth.

And he's just a heck-of-a-nice-guy.

> As before, when we first met, Jim was generous in sharing recipes and
> info. about running his joint, which will be of help. It was also
> great fun interacting with some of Jim's customers, which were a
> steady stream the whole time I was there. It is obvious that word of
> mouth should continue to draw customers from a wide area. Our time
> visiting went much too quick. Thanks for everything, Jim... you are
> special.

Jim is a legend in the making. He don't charge enough (or he's just not in
the right location).

> Best Sausage:
> Big Jim's

Yep. Second that. He and Chef Juke have persuaded me to buy a sausage
grinder. I expect a learning curve, but am sure looking forward to some
results. I kneel to the Barbecue Gods and pray for enlightenment.

>Needless to say, I took a lot of pictures and spent quite a
> bit of time talking to the owner about his place. The food was worth
> spending money on -- brisket and sausage -- but not at the same level
> as Big Jim and Danny.

You visited the temples of the masters, Dave. Study well, we expect a lot
from you.
*Glad* to see you back.

Jack Curry

Big Jim

"Dave Bugg" <dbuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> 4300 miles in six days.
>
> If all goes well, I should be breaking ground within the next four weeks.
> This is definitely an exciting time. I hope to get some pictures of the
> "before" onto ABF sometime in the next few days.
> Best Regards,
> Dave

Thanks for the kind words Dave, it was a pleasure visiting with you. Glad
you could stop at Danny's
--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Dave Bugg

Eddie wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:05:43 -0800, "Dave Bugg" <dbuggatcharterdotnet>
> wrote:
> Dave, a little OT. I also drive transit bus. However, it's
> full-time. We have no part-timers.

Link Transit, beginning with those hired with me, has started hiring ONLY
part-time. They plan on only hiring part-time even for replacements of
full-time retires or resigns. We are strictly limited to no more than 20
hours per week. It eliminates any requirement to pay benefits including sick
leave or vacation leave. Cuts costs ya know. :-(

> I work for VTA, covering Santa Clara County. Local 265 ATU.
> You ATU?

Yup, it's a closed shop and they ain't pro-rating the initiation fees ($300)
or monthly dues ($60.00) even though we're part-time.

> We just got a new 5 yr. contract. For the first time we have to
> contribute to medical. $25 a month. We also had to defer pay raise
> this month. Was 5%. We got 1.5% instead. Then 1.5% every three
> months. Our top pay is now $25.15.

Our top pay is $13.55, and I am covered by my wife's insurance to the tune
of $365.00 per month. But I don't cry too much, since Jill's salary as an RN
is in excess of $40.00 per hour and we do fine on her salary alone -- thank
the Lord!!

> I retire Nov. 1.
> We have 00, 01 and 02 Gillig Phantoms, low-floor, 35 and 40 footers.
> One yard (we have three) has Flyers artics. I don't drive artics. We
> also have light rail, but I'm strictly bus.
> When and where will you be driving?

Link Transit is located in Chelan and Douglas counties in central Washington
state. Two of our routes are two hour round trips. Another is a 90 minute
trip. Ah, the joys of rural transit. We drive 35 foot Orions and 30 foot
Opus. I also drive paratransit services which use cutaways and minivans.
Dave

Dane Roach

What did you think about Danny's? Being an old Carlsbad resident, I'm
amazed that he doesn't get more publicity in town for his efforts.

Dane

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > I enjoyed the company and the incredible hospitality of Big Jim on my
> > second day of the trip. I wished Jim was closer to my home. I think
> > he was worried I was losing too much weight, 'cause that man laid my
> > plate full, and kept it that way. Mind you, I ain't complaining...
> > not ONE little bit. Besides the excellent ribs, sausage, and brisket,
> > Jim does catfish that just melts in your mouth.

> And he's just a heck-of-a-nice-guy.
>
> > As before, when we first met, Jim was generous in sharing recipes and
> > info. about running his joint, which will be of help. It was also
> > great fun interacting with some of Jim's customers, which were a
> > steady stream the whole time I was there. It is obvious that word of
> > mouth should continue to draw customers from a wide area. Our time
> > visiting went much too quick. Thanks for everything, Jim... you are
> > special.

> Jim is a legend in the making. He don't charge enough (or he's just not

in
> the right location).
>
> > Best Sausage:
> > Big Jim's

> Yep. Second that. He and Chef Juke have persuaded me to buy a sausage
> grinder. I expect a learning curve, but am sure looking forward to some
> results. I kneel to the Barbecue Gods and pray for enlightenment.
>
> >Needless to say, I took a lot of pictures and spent quite a
> > bit of time talking to the owner about his place. The food was worth
> > spending money on -- brisket and sausage -- but not at the same level
> > as Big Jim and Danny.

> You visited the temples of the masters, Dave. Study well, we expect a lot
> from you.
> *Glad* to see you back.
>
> Jack Curry

Dave Bugg

Dane Roach wrote:
> What did you think about Danny's? Being an old Carlsbad resident, I'm
> amazed that he doesn't get more publicity in town for his efforts.

With the amount of customer traffic I saw when I was there during an OFF
peak time, I don't know how much publicity that the boy could handle :-) He
has an excellent staff and the service was quite good. Along with Big Jim,
Danny's brisket is flat out the best I have tasted from a commercial
establishment.

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:25:19 -0800, "Dave Bugg" <dbuggatcharterdotnet>
wrote:

>Eddie wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:05:43 -0800, "Dave Bugg" <dbuggatcharterdotnet>
>> wrote:
>> Dave, a little OT. I also drive transit bus. However, it's
>> full-time. We have no part-timers.

>Link Transit, beginning with those hired with me, has started hiring ONLY
>part-time. They plan on only hiring part-time even for replacements of
>full-time retires or resigns. We are strictly limited to no more than 20
>hours per week. It eliminates any requirement to pay benefits including sick
>leave or vacation leave. Cuts costs ya know. :-(
>
>> I work for VTA, covering Santa Clara County. Local 265 ATU.
>> You ATU?

>Yup, it's a closed shop and they ain't pro-rating the initiation fees ($300)
>or monthly dues ($60.00) even though we're part-time.
>
>> We just got a new 5 yr. contract. For the first time we have to
>> contribute to medical. $25 a month. We also had to defer pay raise
>> this month. Was 5%. We got 1.5% instead. Then 1.5% every three
>> months. Our top pay is now $25.15.

>Our top pay is $13.55, and I am covered by my wife's insurance to the tune
>of $365.00 per month. But I don't cry too much, since Jill's salary as an RN
>is in excess of $40.00 per hour and we do fine on her salary alone -- thank
>the Lord!!
>
>> I retire Nov. 1.
>> We have 00, 01 and 02 Gillig Phantoms, low-floor, 35 and 40 footers.
>> One yard (we have three) has Flyers artics. I don't drive artics. We
>> also have light rail, but I'm strictly bus.
>> When and where will you be driving?

>Link Transit is located in Chelan and Douglas counties in central Washington
>state. Two of our routes are two hour round trips. Another is a 90 minute
>trip. Ah, the joys of rural transit. We drive 35 foot Orions and 30 foot
>Opus. I also drive paratransit services which use cutaways and minivans.
>Dave

Every night when I goto bed I thank the Good Lord that I am not an
American. The stupidity and perverseness of your companies'
management leaves me slack-jawed.

Here Bugg is going to work his first month for free so his union can
get their ashes hauled. Wow! that is what I call representation.
How do you promote Goodwill, Productivity, Pride in one's Work, when
you **** your lower echelon troops this way?
Dept't of Labour would have that company's CEO etc's balls for book-
ends the first time they ever got wind of such practice even in
RedNeck Alberta.

$365/mo for medical coverage! Wow! I can clean that out just
flirting with the pharmacist lady. Lipitor in America is now about
$3.25/pill I believe - and there goes almost 30% of that coverage.

Sorry guys. - every time I hear stories like this, my blood runs cold.

Rant Over - normal programming now resumes.

Harry

Jack Sloan

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> [...]

> American. The stupidity and perverseness of your companies'
> management leaves me slack-jawed.
>
> Here Bugg is going to work his first month for free so his union can
> get their ashes hauled. Wow! that is what I call representation.
> How do you promote Goodwill, Productivity, Pride in one's Work, when
> you **** your lower echelon troops this way?
> Dept't of Labour would have that company's CEO etc's balls for book-
> ends the first time they ever got wind of such practice even in
> RedNeck Alberta.
>
> $365/mo for medical coverage! Wow! I can clean that out just
> flirting with the pharmacist lady. Lipitor in America is now about
> $3.25/pill I believe - and there goes almost 30% of that coverage.
>
> Sorry guys. - every time I hear stories like this, my blood runs cold.
>
> Rant Over - normal programming now resumes.

We pay a little extra so we don't have to shovel snow.
Jack

frohe

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> Every night when I goto bed I thank the Good Lord that I am not an
> American.
> Rant Over - normal programming now resumes.

I take it ya won't be movin down here any time soon huh, Harry? lol
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

John O

> How do you promote Goodwill, Productivity, Pride in one's Work, when
> you **** your lower echelon troops this way?

Hey, are you workin' for Ralph Nader?

HA!

-John O

Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:22:46 GMT, "frohe" >
wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>> Every night when I goto bed I thank the Good Lord that I am not an
>> American.
>> Rant Over - normal programming now resumes.

>I take it ya won't be movin down here any time soon huh, Harry? lol

I almost joined some of my family in the Russian Community in NYC and
NJ many years ago, until I concluded that after arriving to America,
I'd likely get the weekend off before being drafted and shipped out to
Korea to defend my New County's interests there. I didn't do it and
sometimes wondered if that had been a good move. In my today world I
believe that was a good move.

Today I visit America periodically to enjoy meeting friends, a
little Q, and a few libations as well as the warmer Weather if in
Winter :0)

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:56:50 GMT, "John O"
> wrote:

>> How do you promote Goodwill, Productivity, Pride in one's Work, when
>> you **** your lower echelon troops this way?

>Hey, are you workin' for Ralph Nader?
>
>HA!
>
>-John O