Erik Astrup

Default First brisket attempt tonight

Well after owning my K5 for well over a year, I'm finally taking the plunge
into a brisket. (Actually I did a 4 pound flat covered in bacon some months
ago that was quite good)

Anyway, I got a 9.5 pounder from my local butcher. Been reading
and reading and reading all the advice. Some of it contradictory which is
a bit frustrating...but in the end I've come away with this -

I didn't trim any fat.
Im cooking it direct in my Kamado, no drip pan, fat down.
Im gonna shoot for 225-250 grill temp. (I've got a polder)
I gave it a rub with Wily's Number Wonderful from Smoke and Spice which I
like a lot.

Im still not sure what to do when it's done. One recipe said to wrap it
in foil for EIGHT hours after 10 hours on the smoker. WTF? I won't be doing
that. I think I'll shoot for getting it so I can twist the fork in the flat.
I'll pull it off, remove the point (put that back on the K5 for burnt ends)
and let it rest for an hour in foil. Then we'll see how it comes out.

Or should I pull it out after some hours and wrap it in foil and return it?
Im worried about it drying out.

The other thing I can't figure is cooking time. People say 1 hour to 2 hours
per pounds. Christ, that's a big variation when it's 10 pounds.....So far Im
planning to start it tonight. I'll get the K5 up and running around 7, then
get all warmed up and stable, then put the meat on around 9pm. This means
it'll be done anywhere from 7am till....??? Noon or so?

I'll post some pics along the way on my website. Any MORE advice is
welcome, even though it'll just confuse me even more. LOL.

Maybe I should just star it late this afternoon, smoke it for 8-10 hours,
then wrap it and finish it over night in the oven.

Man....decisions decisions.
Erik Astrup

Well I've changed my mind. I'm gonna fire up the K and put the
brisket on this afternoon and watch it today and tonight. I'm to worried
about sleeping while it's cooking as I've had some temp control problems
with the K recently. (It's not sealing perfectly and I haven't been gotten
around to readjusting it) If it's not done in 10-11 hours I'll move it to
the oven around midnight or so and let it finish in there.

Anyway, the damn thing is 35 degrees internal right now, so it's on the
counter warming up. I'll get the K going in a bit.

Cheers!

bbq

Erik Astrup wrote:

> Well after owning my K5 for well over a year, I'm finally taking the plunge
> into a brisket. (Actually I did a 4 pound flat covered in bacon some months
> ago that was quite good)
>
> Anyway, I got a 9.5 pounder from my local butcher. Been reading
> and reading and reading all the advice. Some of it contradictory which is
> a bit frustrating...but in the end I've come away with this -
>
> I didn't trim any fat.
> Im cooking it direct in my Kamado, no drip pan, fat down.
> Im gonna shoot for 225-250 grill temp. (I've got a polder)
> I gave it a rub with Wily's Number Wonderful from Smoke and Spice which I
> like a lot.
>
> Im still not sure what to do when it's done.

I think your supposed to eat it.

One recipe said to wrap it
> in foil for EIGHT hours after 10 hours on the smoker.

Yep, that seems a bit overdoing it.

WTF? I won't be doing
> that. I think I'll shoot for getting it so I can twist the fork in the flat.
> I'll pull it off, remove the point (put that back on the K5 for burnt ends)
> and let it rest for an hour in foil. Then we'll see how it comes out.
>
> Or should I pull it out after some hours and wrap it in foil and return it?
> Im worried about it drying out.
>
> The other thing I can't figure is cooking time. People say 1 hour to 2 hours
> per pounds. Christ, that's a big variation when it's 10 pounds.....So far Im
> planning to start it tonight. I'll get the K5 up and running around 7, then
> get all warmed up and stable, then put the meat on around 9pm. This means
> it'll be done anywhere from 7am till....??? Noon or so?

Not sure you can rely on a time versus pound of meat guide. The saying
goes 'it's done when it's done'. I have heard 12 hours or more. Brisket
is a good meat to cook overnight. If it's done at 9am, wrap in foil and
towels and place in cooler should keep it warm for a while.

Pics also welcomed at alt.binaries.food

> Maybe I should just star it late this afternoon, smoke it for 8-10 hours,
> then wrap it and finish it over night in the oven.

Nah, don't finish it in the oven. Will take just as long to finish it in
the oven as it would to finish it in your K5. Your 9PM starting time
should be just fine.

> Man....decisions decisions.

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

BOB

Erik Astrup typed:
> Well after owning my K5 for well over a year, I'm finally taking the plunge
> into a brisket. (Actually I did a 4 pound flat covered in bacon some months
> ago that was quite good)

Yep, all the conflicting information is scarey. Made me wait 'til someone
gav me a brisket to cook for them. Then it wasn't as scarey. It's simple
and your K5 makes it even more simple.

> Anyway, I got a 9.5 pounder from my local butcher. Been reading
> and reading and reading all the advice. Some of it contradictory which is
> a bit frustrating...but in the end I've come away with this -
>
> I didn't trim any fat.

GOOD!

> Im cooking it direct in my Kamado, no drip pan, fat down.

That's the way I usually cook brisket.

> Im gonna shoot for 225-250 grill temp. (I've got a polder)
> I gave it a rub with Wily's Number Wonderful from Smoke and Spice which I
> like a lot.

Sounds like a good plan so far...

> Im still not sure what to do when it's done. One recipe said to wrap it
> in foil for EIGHT hours after 10 hours on the smoker. WTF? I won't be

doing
> that.

??? I'm with you. In 10 hours it will surely cool off and no longer be in
the "safe" zone.

> I think I'll shoot for getting it so I can twist the fork in the flat.
> I'll pull it off, remove the point (put that back on the K5 for burnt ends)
> and let it rest for an hour in foil. Then we'll see how it comes out.

I'd shoot for about 195° to 200° internal temperature. Sometimes the flat
will be done first. I'll cut it off and remove it and just let the point
come up to temperature. I like the point better. It's juicier, IME.

> Or should I pull it out after some hours and wrap it in foil and return it?
> Im worried about it drying out.

The fat and your Kamado will keep it from drying out. The restricted air
flow and all that.

> The other thing I can't figure is cooking time. People say 1 hour to 2

hours
> per pounds. Christ, that's a big variation when it's 10 pounds.....So far

Im
> planning to start it tonight. I'll get the K5 up and running around 7, then
> get all warmed up and stable, then put the meat on around 9pm. This means
> it'll be done anywhere from 7am till....??? Noon or so?

Your brisket can't tell time. Go for internal temperature.

> I'll post some pics along the way on my website. Any MORE advice is
> welcome, even though it'll just confuse me even more. LOL.

Don't open the lid for pictures. That just lowers the temperature and
increases the cooking time.

> Maybe I should just star it late this afternoon, smoke it for 8-10 hours,
> then wrap it and finish it over night in the oven.

I wouldn't *PLAN* on the oven, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

> Man....decisions decisions.

Yeah, but it'll all be worth the effort.

BOB

CSS

Cook by temp, not time. Like a pork shoulder, brisket will reach 165-170 or
so, then sit for *hours*. This is what you want, as it is breaking down the
tough portions of the cut. It will then move off the plateau and start
going up. I cook mine to 185 or so, which is a good compromise for the flat
and point.

I plan on 14-17 hours for 12-14 pound briskets, but each one varies. You
can wrap in *foil* if it gets done early and place in a cooler with some
towels or rags, and it will stay above 165 for several hours.

"Erik Astrup" > wrote in message

> Well after owning my K5 for well over a year, I'm finally taking the

plunge
> into a brisket. (Actually I did a 4 pound flat covered in bacon some

months
> ago that was quite good)
>
> Anyway, I got a 9.5 pounder from my local butcher. Been reading
> and reading and reading all the advice. Some of it contradictory which is
> a bit frustrating...but in the end I've come away with this -
>
> I didn't trim any fat.
> Im cooking it direct in my Kamado, no drip pan, fat down.
> Im gonna shoot for 225-250 grill temp. (I've got a polder)
> I gave it a rub with Wily's Number Wonderful from Smoke and Spice which I
> like a lot.
>
> Im still not sure what to do when it's done. One recipe said to wrap it
> in foil for EIGHT hours after 10 hours on the smoker. WTF? I won't be

doing
> that. I think I'll shoot for getting it so I can twist the fork in the

flat.
> I'll pull it off, remove the point (put that back on the K5 for burnt

ends)
> and let it rest for an hour in foil. Then we'll see how it comes out.
>
> Or should I pull it out after some hours and wrap it in foil and return

it?
> Im worried about it drying out.
>
> The other thing I can't figure is cooking time. People say 1 hour to 2

hours
> per pounds. Christ, that's a big variation when it's 10 pounds.....So far

Im
> planning to start it tonight. I'll get the K5 up and running around 7,

then
> get all warmed up and stable, then put the meat on around 9pm. This means
> it'll be done anywhere from 7am till....??? Noon or so?
>
> I'll post some pics along the way on my website. Any MORE advice is
> welcome, even though it'll just confuse me even more. LOL.
>
> Maybe I should just star it late this afternoon, smoke it for 8-10 hours,
> then wrap it and finish it over night in the oven.
>
> Man....decisions decisions.

Erik Astrup

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:59:31 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>Cook by temp, not time. Like a pork shoulder, brisket will reach 165-170 or
>so, then sit for *hours*. This is what you want, as it is breaking down the
>tough portions of the cut. It will then move off the plateau and start
>going up. I cook mine to 185 or so, which is a good compromise for the flat
>and point.

No worries, I always cook by temp, not time. I only mentioned the time thing
because there's such a huge range of "when it's ready". I mean 10-20 hours
makes it hard to say - "Come on over around 1-11pm. That's when it'll be
done.

I feel more comfy watching the temp today. I wouldn't be able to sleep
at night knowing it might be falling to 150 or so, or rising to 300. I feel
better keeping an eye on it.

The K is warming up as I type. The brisket is at 45 degrees, it'll go on
around 2pm local when the K is fully warmed through.

Thanks again guys!

frohe

Erik Astrup wrote:
> I didn't trim any fat.
> Im cooking it direct in my Kamado, no drip pan, fat down.
> Im gonna shoot for 225-250 grill temp. (I've got a polder)
> I gave it a rub with Wily's Number Wonderful from Smoke and Spice
> which I like a lot.
> Im still not sure what to do when it's done. One recipe said to wrap
> it in foil for EIGHT hours after 10 hours on the smoker. WTF? I
> won't be doing that. I think I'll shoot for getting it so I can twist
> the fork in the flat. I'll pull it off, remove the point (put that
> back on the K5 for burnt ends) and let it rest for an hour in foil.
> Then we'll see how it comes out.
> Or should I pull it out after some hours and wrap it in foil and
> return it? Im worried about it drying out.
> The other thing I can't figure is cooking time. People say 1 hour to
> 2 hours per pounds. Christ, that's a big variation when it's 10
> pounds.....So far Im planning to start it tonight. I'll get the K5 up
> and running around 7, then get all warmed up and stable, then put the
> meat on around 9pm. This means it'll be done anywhere from 7am
> till....??? Noon or so?

To be honest with ya, ya's worryin too much over that brisket. While it can
be one bitch to cook right, it does forgive ya a bit along the way if ya
mess up. Here's how I cook my briskets (packer cut; 11-14 lbs).

1) Make sure the brisket is room temp before puttin it to the cooker. Use
the rub of ya choice; I prefer just S&P, garlic powder & some dried red
peppers.

2) I usually cook indirect in my 55 gallon drum with the fat side up. If I
do it in my WSM, it's a fat side down direct cook with no pan. Either way,
I never trim the fat before cookin.

3) I cook in a temp range of 275-325°F, especially the later towards the end
of the cook (when the flat's about 160°F) to get to 190°F in the flat (or
fork tender; they's basically the same at that temp). Cook time is around 7
hours doin it this way, so I start mine at 5 am or so to have it ready for
dinner time. Once ya add it to the cooker, resist the need to peek for the
first 4 hours at least; 6 is much better tho. I cook with Royal Oak lump,
adding mesquite or hickory dependin on if I got "mesquite sissies" sittin at
my dinner table that evenin. Mind ya, even when I use mesquite, I don't use
a lot of it. 2-3 good fist sized chunks for the whole cook is enuff.

4) I never use foil in the cooker; never did like steamed beef. But once
the brisket's done, I've been known to wrap it in foil and towels and set it
in a cooler if I'm done before it's time to put on the feed bag. Mind ya,
no more than a couple hours in the cooler tho so ya's safe.

5) When it's time to eat, seperate the flat from the point, slicin both
across the grain. Serve with a side of sauce to your choosin but for the
love of Pete, don't cook it with sauce at all. Our favorite sides run from
beans & tater salad to grilled veggies. Always gotta have plenty of cold
beer tho.

HTH.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Erik Astrup

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:00:48 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>1) Make sure the brisket is room temp before puttin it to the cooker. Use
>the rub of ya choice; I prefer just S&P, garlic powder & some dried red
>peppers.

Mmm...well it was 46 internal when it went on.

>2) I usually cook indirect in my 55 gallon drum with the fat side up. If I
>do it in my WSM, it's a fat side down direct cook with no pan. Either way,
>I never trim the fat before cookin.

Cool. I'm with ya!

>3) I cook in a temp range of 275-325°F, especially the later towards the end
>of the cook (when the flat's about 160°F) to get to 190°F in the flat (or
>fork tender; they's basically the same at that temp). Cook time is around 7
>hours doin it this way,

Wow, that's a very high temp compared to all the other stuff I've read.
Usually 225-250 max. 325? Yeowza. I think I'll shoot for 225-250.

>so I start mine at 5 am or so to have it ready for
>dinner time. Once ya add it to the cooker, resist the need to peek for the
>first 4 hours at least; 6 is much better tho.

I have to pull off some sausages in about an hour or so, but after that I
won't open it again for at least 8 hours to put a probe in it. At least
that's that plan.

>I cook with Royal Oak lump,adding mesquite or hickory dependin on if I
>got "mesquite sissies" sittin at my dinner table that evenin. Mind ya, even when I use mesquite, I don't use
>a lot of it. 2-3 good fist sized chunks for the whole cook is enuff.

Im cooking with Lazarri hardwood lump (not their mesquite) and have large
package of hickory wood chips in a double foil envelope on top of it. I'm
seeing nice white whisps of smoke coming out of the K.

>4) I never use foil in the cooker; never did like steamed beef. But once
>the brisket's done, I've been known to wrap it in foil and towels and set it
>in a cooler if I'm done before it's time to put on the feed bag. Mind ya,
>no more than a couple hours in the cooler tho so ya's safe.

Yah, I think with my K I won't have to worry about it drying out. The
airflow is soooooo small through it.

>5) When it's time to eat, seperate the flat from the point, slicin both
>across the grain. Serve with a side of sauce to your choosin but for the
>love of Pete, don't cook it with sauce at all.

I would never, EVER cook with sauce!! I'm a firm believe it should
compliment the food on the side. The Q should stand up on it's own.

>Always gotta have plenty of cold beer tho.

Always!

>HTH.

Yep, appreciate it!!

Bruce

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:52:25 -0800, Erik Astrup >
wrote:

>Well I've changed my mind. I'm gonna fire up the K and put the
>brisket on this afternoon and watch it today and tonight. I'm to worried
>about sleeping while it's cooking as I've had some temp control problems
>with the K recently. (It's not sealing perfectly and I haven't been gotten
>around to readjusting it) If it's not done in 10-11 hours I'll move it to
>the oven around midnight or so and let it finish in there.
>
>Anyway, the damn thing is 35 degrees internal right now, so it's on the
>counter warming up. I'll get the K going in a bit.
>
>Cheers!

It will probably be done at midnight. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and
eat it. The worse that will happen is that your next brisket will be
better.

Bruce

Erik Astrup

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:17:43 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>>Cheers!

>It will probably be done at midnight. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and
>eat it. The worse that will happen is that your next brisket will be
>better.

I just realized I put the damn thing on the grill....and don't know if I put
it on fat side down, or fat side up. I can't tell now either as both sides
are covered in rub, and the bottom is getting a bit burned. Just great...
I ****ed it up right from the start.

Net

Erik Astrup typed:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:17:43 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
>
>>> Cheers!

>> It will probably be done at midnight. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and
>> eat it.

>> The worse that will happen is that your next brisket will be
>> better.

> I just realized I put the damn thing on the grill....and don't know if I

put
> it on fat side down, or fat side up. I can't tell now either as both sides
> are covered in rub, and the bottom is getting a bit burned. Just great...
> I ****ed it up right from the start.

OK, quit worrying so much. At least you responded to the right post with
your mistake...Go back up and re-read the last part that Bruce wrote right
above your reply.

Just don't open the lid and search for the fat. Opening the lid too much
will be asking for it to dry out. If you do happen to dry it too much (which
I doubt), just slice it as thin as you can (across the grain) and make some
gravy an serve with gravied potatoes. You haven't wasted the meat.

BOB
You'll be fine!

CSS

"Erik Astrup" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:59:31 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
>
> >Cook by temp, not time. Like a pork shoulder, brisket will reach 165-170

or
> >so, then sit for *hours*. This is what you want, as it is breaking down

the
> >tough portions of the cut. It will then move off the plateau and start
> >going up. I cook mine to 185 or so, which is a good compromise for the

flat
> >and point.

> No worries, I always cook by temp, not time. I only mentioned the time

thing
> because there's such a huge range of "when it's ready". I mean 10-20 hours
> makes it hard to say - "Come on over around 1-11pm. That's when it'll be
> done.
>
> I feel more comfy watching the temp today. I wouldn't be able to sleep
> at night knowing it might be falling to 150 or so, or rising to 300. I

feel
> better keeping an eye on it.

I do overnight cooks all the time on my WSM. It is pretty much rock-sold on
temp control, but I use the Maverick Wireless smoker thermometer just in
case:
http://www.maverickhousewares.com/new/et73.htm

Set it to a high of 260 or so and a low of 200, and turn on the alarm. The
go to bed. It monitors high/low smoker temp and food temp. Works great.

Gee, people here rave about the "K" being so easy to hold temps-- maybe
yours has a problem?

CSS

"Erik Astrup" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:17:43 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
>
> >>Cheers!

> >It will probably be done at midnight. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and
> >eat it. The worse that will happen is that your next brisket will be
> >better.

> I just realized I put the damn thing on the grill....and don't know if I

put
> it on fat side down, or fat side up. I can't tell now either as both sides
> are covered in rub, and the bottom is getting a bit burned. Just great...
> I ****ed it up right from the start.

Yup, that happens. Next time, leave it in the dish fat-side up after
rubbing. Then you can be sure.

Erik Astrup

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:53:13 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>I do overnight cooks all the time on my WSM. It is pretty much rock-sold on
>temp control, but I use the Maverick Wireless smoker thermometer just in
>case:
>http://www.maverickhousewares.com/new/et73.htm
>
>Set it to a high of 260 or so and a low of 200, and turn on the alarm. The
>go to bed. It monitors high/low smoker temp and food temp. Works great.
>
>Gee, people here rave about the "K" being so easy to hold temps-- maybe
>yours has a problem?

They do, usually.

Mine needs to have it's lid adjusted because it's leaking air around
the rear quarter. I reduced the leakage by using foil to act as a sealer,
and that's helped a *lot*. But Im still tweaking and futzing trying to get
it to stay at one temp. It's wandering from 215-225. Drives me nuts. Never
used to have this problem.

I realize I may be worrying to much, but this cost me a chunk of change
(couldn't find any "cheap" brisket) and so I don't wanna end up with a hunk
of dried out crap. A $5 pork butt is one thing to screw up.

Im not gonna open the lid again to search for the fat side, Im just gonna
leave it alone and hope for the best.

This is what it looked like going on. Maybe the fat side is up...

http://www.teamiguana.com/Pictures/Kamado/brisket.jpg
Erik Astrup

Well, I've given up on the Kamado. I cannot get it to stay at one temp for
more than 20 minutes. Driving me nuts, so I loaded up my WSM with lump,
lit three spots with my propane torch, and now the brisket is sitting in
there at 221 at last check. Im hoping the WSM maintains my sanity. I've got
the top wide open, and the lower three about 1/4 each.

<sigh>

This will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....This will all be
worth it....This will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....This
will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....

Jack Curry

Erik Astrup wrote:
> Well, I've given up on the Kamado. I cannot get it to stay at one
> temp for more than 20 minutes. Driving me nuts, so I loaded up my WSM
> with lump, lit three spots with my propane torch, and now the brisket
> is sitting in there at 221 at last check. Im hoping the WSM maintains
> my sanity. I've got the top wide open, and the lower three about 1/4
> each.
>
> <sigh>
>
> This will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....This will
> all be worth it....This will all be worth it....This will all be
> worth it....This will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....

Have a few drinks. Relax. This is supposed to be fun and if it isn't for
you, you're doing something wrong. Remember, you can eat your mistakes,
feed 'em to your dog or toss 'em. And you'll do better next time.
Jack Curry

bbq

Erik Astrup wrote:

> Well, I've given up on the Kamado. I cannot get it to stay at one temp for
> more than 20 minutes. Driving me nuts, so I loaded up my WSM with lump,
> lit three spots with my propane torch, and now the brisket is sitting in
> there at 221 at last check. Im hoping the WSM maintains my sanity. I've got
> the top wide open, and the lower three about 1/4 each.

At least you have an alternative smoker to use. Personally, I don't
think a temperature wandering at 215-225 is bad. Sounds as though the
WSM saves the night for you.

> <sigh>
>
> This will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....This will all be
> worth it....This will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....This
> will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....

Yes it will all be worth it.
Have couple of drinks, relax and enjoy the cook.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Erik Astrup

On 04 Jan 2004 03:33:54 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>Eggzackly. Have a few drinks. Relax. Have a few drinks. It'll be fine. Have
>a few drinks. You'll do better next time. Have a few drinks. Ya don't
>become a BBQ God overnight. Have a few drinks.

I know, Im relaxing now. The WSM is cruising along just fine at 226 grill
temp. I may up it a bit.

BTW - I've been doing this 'que thing for quite some time, never had
problems like this with the K. That's really what's gotten me ticked off.
But Im fine now. I'll get another beer, it's gonna be a long night.

6.5 hours on the brisket so far...

Cheers guys!

bbq

Erik Astrup wrote:

> BTW - I've been doing this 'que thing for quite some time, never had
> problems like this with the K. That's really what's gotten me ticked off.
> But Im fine now. I'll get another beer, it's gonna be a long night.

How did it come out? Did you sleep last night? You were pretty antsy
yesterday till you got in on the WSM. Was kinda humorous?

> 6.5 hours on the brisket so far...

It's about 12 hours since your last post. Shoulda been perfect just
about an hour ago, or maybe 3 hours :-)

> Cheers guys!

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:34:51 -0800, Erik Astrup >
wrote:

>Well, I've given up on the Kamado. I cannot get it to stay at one temp for
>more than 20 minutes. Driving me nuts, so I loaded up my WSM with lump,
>lit three spots with my propane torch, and now the brisket is sitting in
>there at 221 at last check. Im hoping the WSM maintains my sanity. I've got
>the top wide open, and the lower three about 1/4 each.
>
><sigh>
>
>This will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....This will all be
>worth it....This will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....This
>will all be worth it....This will all be worth it....

You sound like you let the temp get away on you and you've been
chasing it up and down - the temp scale resembles an ECG chart -
right?

You need to grab control on the way up - then it's easy.

Harry
Erik Astrup

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:09:40 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>You sound like you let the temp get away on you and you've been
>chasing it up and down - the temp scale resembles an ECG chart -
>right?
>
>You need to grab control on the way up - then it's easy.
>
>Harry

No, I had control of the temp at the very beginning, from the bottom, plus
I let it stabilize for over an hour before putting the meat on.

I'm very aware of needing to do that with the K. I cannot figure out why it
runs away from one end to the other.
Erik Astrup

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 17:58:34 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>How did it come out? Did you sleep last night? You were pretty antsy
>yesterday till you got in on the WSM. Was kinda humorous?

Oy, what a production. LOL.

At 1am (11 hours) it was at 170 I think, so I moved it to the oven after
wrapping it in foil. I set the temp alarm to 190, the oven to 225 and went
to bed at 2am.

At 4:30 it was done, so a total time of 14.5 hours for what was around 9.5
pounds.

I tasted it, turned off the oven, put it back in there and went back to bed.
Was up at 9:30 (football games ya know) and went to work on it.

I cut off the bit that I guessed was the point. The real fatty bits. Anyway,
I restarted the WSM and put those parts on there for 3 more hours.
Meanwhile we had brisket for breakfast with bloody marys and beer. Hot
damn it was good.

But the burnt ends were Da Bomb! WOW. Talk about an *intense* smoke flavor.
Holy crap. Great stuff.

Cheers!!

Jack Curry

"Erik Astrup" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:09:40 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
>

> >You sound like you let the temp get away on you and you've been
> >chasing it up and down - the temp scale resembles an ECG chart -
> >right?
> >
> >You need to grab control on the way up - then it's easy.
> >
> >Harry

> No, I had control of the temp at the very beginning, from the bottom, plus
> I let it stabilize for over an hour before putting the meat on.
>
> I'm very aware of needing to do that with the K. I cannot figure out why

it
> runs away from one end to the other.

Might be the charcoal. Try changing brands.
Jack Curry

Nathan Lau

Erik Astrup wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:53:13 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
>
>>I do overnight cooks all the time on my WSM. It is pretty much rock-sold on
>>temp control, but I use the Maverick Wireless smoker thermometer just in
>>case:
>>http://www.maverickhousewares.com/new/et73.htm
>>
>>Set it to a high of 260 or so and a low of 200, and turn on the alarm. The
>>go to bed. It monitors high/low smoker temp and food temp. Works great.
>>
>>Gee, people here rave about the "K" being so easy to hold temps-- maybe
>>yours has a problem?

> They do, usually.
>
> Mine needs to have it's lid adjusted because it's leaking air around
> the rear quarter. I reduced the leakage by using foil to act as a sealer,
> and that's helped a *lot*. But Im still tweaking and futzing trying to get
> it to stay at one temp. It's wandering from 215-225. Drives me nuts. Never
> used to have this problem.

Only 10 degrees drift? You've been spoiled rotten by that K!

> I realize I may be worrying to much, but this cost me a chunk of change
> (couldn't find any "cheap" brisket) and so I don't wanna end up with a hunk
> of dried out crap. A $5 pork butt is one thing to screw up.
>
> Im not gonna open the lid again to search for the fat side, Im just gonna
> leave it alone and hope for the best.
>
> This is what it looked like going on. Maybe the fat side is up...
>
> http://www.teamiguana.com/Pictures/Kamado/brisket.jpg

Looks to my untrained eyes that the fat side is down.

In any case, don't worry so much! You're doing fine.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>Well, I've given up on the Kamado. I cannot get it to stay at one temp for
>more than 20 minutes

My guess is that you're fiddling with it too much. Make a small
adjustment, then wait to see what affect it has before doing anything
else. My K7 leaks around the front quarter likes yours does at the
back, but I can generallly hold whatever temp I'm shooting for.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Erik Astrup

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:50:36 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>Might be the charcoal. Try changing brands.
>Jack Curry

Im wondering that too...but the same coals (Lazarri hardwood lump)
worked perfectly in the WSM.

Erik Astrup

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:51:23 -0700, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:34:51 -0800, Erik Astrup >
>wrote:
>
>>Well, I've given up on the Kamado. I cannot get it to stay at one temp for
>>more than 20 minutes

>My guess is that you're fiddling with it too much. Make a small
>adjustment, then wait to see what affect it has before doing anything
>else. My K7 leaks around the front quarter likes yours does at the
>back, but I can generallly hold whatever temp I'm shooting for.

I hear ya, and I would agree if only that I didn't have this problem until
I moved. The K was moved by some movers, so Im GUESSING that's
the reason it leaks air now.

CSS

"Erik Astrup" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:51:23 -0700, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:34:51 -0800, Erik Astrup >
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Well, I've given up on the Kamado. I cannot get it to stay at one temp

for
> >>more than 20 minutes

> >My guess is that you're fiddling with it too much. Make a small
> >adjustment, then wait to see what affect it has before doing anything
> >else. My K7 leaks around the front quarter likes yours does at the
> >back, but I can generallly hold whatever temp I'm shooting for.

> I hear ya, and I would agree if only that I didn't have this problem until
> I moved. The K was moved by some movers, so Im GUESSING that's
> the reason it leaks air now.

But would a constant air leak cause the symptoms you are experiencing? It
seems an air leak would let in a certain fixed amount of air, and maybe make
it difficult to reach and maintain a low temperature. But, once the unit
reaches any temp (high or low), how would an air leak cause the temp to
change, unless the air leak itself were changing, as to let in more or less
air? Puzzling...

bbq

Erik Astrup wrote:
<Snip>

> I hear ya, and I would agree if only that I didn't have this problem until
> I moved. The K was moved by some movers, so Im GUESSING that's
> the reason it leaks air now.

Well, there ya go. K's are are only good to be shipped once, but used
many years. So when you move, you gotta get a new K and maybe a larger
one too :-)

And of course, when you sell your place with the K, it adds value to the
overall price of the house.

Happy Q'en
BBQ

Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:18:18 -0800, Erik Astrup >
wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:51:23 -0700, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:34:51 -0800, Erik Astrup >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I've given up on the Kamado. I cannot get it to stay at one temp for
>>>more than 20 minutes

>>My guess is that you're fiddling with it too much. Make a small
>>adjustment, then wait to see what affect it has before doing anything
>>else. My K7 leaks around the front quarter likes yours does at the
>>back, but I can generallly hold whatever temp I'm shooting for.

>I hear ya, and I would agree if only that I didn't have this problem until
>I moved. The K was moved by some movers, so Im GUESSING that's
>the reason it leaks air now.

SUE-THE-*******S! [and adjust the bands] . . . .
Harry

A first attempt... BBQ Winemaking 13 09-06-2005 03:35 AM
1st attempt at beef brisket, failure Brick Barbecue 0 26-05-2005 01:59 PM
First Attempt [email protected] Sourdough 24 18-12-2004 04:22 PM
My first attempt... Tranch749 Barbecue 14 06-07-2004 01:39 AM